"LIVE" from Explorer of the Seas -April 7, 2013- Bermuda

Radio....I love, love, LOVE your live threads! A heartfelt THANK YOU for taking us all along with you. It must be very time & labor intensive on your vacation to indulge us like you do, but it is very much appreciated.

I've been on the Explorer 3 times before, and will cruise on her again April, 2014 to Bermuda & Caribbean. Your pictures and commentary are just what I need since we've decided not to cruise in 2013. I'm totally living vicariously through you!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Looks sooooooo beautiful! Thanks for inspiring me to actually look at cruises to Bermuda, I never knew the beaches were that amazing. I mean look at that sand, its perfect!! How peaceful must riding on one of those scooters be?! So jealous! :)

Thanks for the update!

I always take careful consideration before crashing one of Radio's LIVE posts... but I had to respond to this one, as a matter of public safety. :)

I've been to Bermuda many times myself, it's my favorite island, hands down.

I rented a scooter once, and I will admit, I had an absolute blast with it! After many visits limited to the schedules and routes of the excellent public transportation system, I was finally free to see what I wanted and when I wanted to see it.

However, and a significant one at that, probably the last word I would use to describe driving a scooter around the roads of Bermuda would be "peaceful."

Imagine trying to drive one of these things in any large town's rush-hour traffic. That's a start of what it can be like in Bermuda. The roads are curvy, narrow, crowded, and everyone is driving on "the wrong side". The island-wide speed limit is 35 km/hr. I felt in danger of being run over if I was going any less than 45 or 50. There are no passing zones, save for the roads near the airport. Everywhere else is too curvy, but people pass you anyway.

Every year, many tourists are hurt, and sometimes even killed in scooter accidents.

I really hate to be a gloomy-gus on this excellent thread, but the critical point that you must take here is that you need to know what you are doing if you want to rent a scooter in Bermuda. Many thousands of people do it safely and have a great time every year, but even in the paradise of Bermuda, if you fall down, you will scrape your knee... or possibly much worse.

Would I do it again? You better believe it, in a heartbeat! But I know how to ride a scooter, and even so, I am extra cautious, and you must constantly force yourself to override your driving instincts to ensure you don't make a left/right mistake, which would be disastrous.

On a more positive note, if you get away from the main roads, then there certainly are some more rural roads to be found, and I did find riding on those to be a wonderful experience!

Just be safe! We want everyone to make Diamond Plus one day! :D

Theron

Wow! I especially love the picture of the ship at night with the reflection on the water. It's gorgeous. Glad you are having such great weather.

I'm having more luck in the Royal cabin lottery - not as good as your wonderful upgrade to an OS - but a second price drop in 10 days plus an inside category upgrade. I'll pass the details along when you get back. I'm now on my fourth cabin number - can't get emotionally attached to the room until we sail!

Thanks for the nice Comments, Bugsy !

I want to come back here later this summer.

Radio

;);)

Your photos are fantastic. I can't wait to get back to Bermuda this June. I'm hoping you know the answer to a question - I heard the concierge Mario has left Explorer for knee surgery. May I ask you who is the concierge on Explorer for your trip?

Enjoy, enjoy - and thanks for all the photos!

thanks,

Swiss

Hello everyone. . .Welcome to DAY 5 of “LIVE” from Explorer of the Seas.

Today is my last day in Bermuda, and I have a lot of things to do and see. . . The sun is just coming up here, and it looks like it might be a little cloudy. Of course that could change, but I will still go ashore and hope for no rain.

I was thinking of taking the Ferry over to St Georges, or Hamilton. . .Hmmm . . . but There is more I want to see at the Dockyard. Decisions, decisions. . . Maybe I will just flip a coin. I will head over to the Phoenix Pharmacy and contemplate over a "We Proudly Serve" Starbucks Americano.

There will be many more pics later this afternoon.

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

Radio

I normally don’t take pics of Towel animals, but I was surprised to see this last night and it made me chuckle

E1.JPG

Riviera is asleep to the east of Explorer waiting for sunrise.

E3.JPG

The Dockyard will be waking up very soon.

E4.JPG

Here is one of the Scooter parking lots near the Passenger Terminal for Explorer

E6.JPG

This steel is being transported over to Heritage Wharf to repair the Pier after a few nasty storms

E7.JPG

I hope to be going to the Museum today

E8.JPG

Here are a few more pics from yesterday. . .

Radio

A view from my scooter in Sandy’s Parish

D39.JPG

More Elbow Beach resort

D553.JPG

GoPro Hero3 Scooter pics from Sandy’s

D557.JPG

Approaching the Dockyard

D558.JPG

Your Intrepid Reporter up on the cliffs at Horseshoe bay Beach yesterday

D555.JPG

My Pressroom on board Explorer of the Seas with my GoPro Hero3 Helmet Cam

D50.JPG

I always take careful consideration before crashing one of Radio's LIVE posts... but I had to respond to this one, as a matter of public safety. :)

However, and a significant one at that, probably the last word I would use to describe driving a scooter around the roads of Bermuda would be "peaceful."

Imagine trying to drive one of these things in any large town's rush-hour traffic. That's a start of what it can be like in Bermuda. The roads are curvy, narrow, crowded, and everyone is driving on "the wrong side". The island-wide speed limit is 35 km/hr. I felt in danger of being run over if I was going any less than 45 or 50. There are no passing zones, save for the roads near the airport. Everywhere else is too curvy, but people pass you anyway.

Theron

Theron, I can't say that I disagree with your assessment of driving in Bermuda. I have sailed to Bermuda many times over many years and always rent a scooter, my wife likes to ride behind me on same scooter which adds even more adventure. The caution you issued is well advised but like you I do it anyway.

I will also note that years ago the Onions on the road were a bit more tolerant when seeing a tourist on a scooter. Drivers actually stopping to let a tourist figure it out. In more recent years that is not as prevalent.

The final test of one's prowess used to be leaving or entering Hamilton at rush hour. Those working in the city do like to get home as we all do.

Last time we were there two years ago was first time I ever used ferry into Hamilton from Kings Wharf and must say I loved just relaxing and boating over. Our next visit will be on the Explorer June 13 sailing and we will only be stopping one day, few hours at Bermuda before heading for Caribbean. No scooter and I think Ferries may be closed as will be a Saturday. Will have to check that.

George in NY

>>>.snip fwd>>>

Last time we were there two years ago was first time I ever used ferry into Hamilton from Kings Wharf and must say I loved just relaxing and boating over. Our next visit will be on the Explorer June 13 sailing and we will only be stopping one day, few hours at Bermuda before heading for Caribbean. No scooter and I think Ferries may be closed as will be a Saturday. Will have to check that.

George in NY

Here is the

Ferry schedule for April 15, 2013- November 3, 2013

Bermuda Ferry Schedule 2013

It includes the schedules for Saturday/Sunday and holidays.

Radio, Fantastic as always!!! Enjoying the cruise with you! And really helping ramp us up for our sailing in 62 and a wakeup. Guess we will probably hang close to Dockyard when we sail since only there for day. Will have to miss White Horse Tavern and my cold beer, sizzling shrimp, and fritters. Hopefully Bermuda Brewing company is still at Dockyard? May run to Somerset Squires since pretty close for my Fosters and a burger on the little bay. Bermuda being a favorite of not the favorite island of ours will be hard to be there but for a few hours.

Looking forward to the sail home with you.

George in NY

Love reading your reviews. I'll be there is a few weeks, and was wondering if there is a lot of noise from the construction of Heritage Wharf?

I haven't heard any noise from on the Ship. . .Outside there is more noise from the SeaExpress ferries than from the construction.

Radio

;);)

I haven't heard any noise from on the Ship. . .Outside there is more noise from the SeaExpress ferries than from the construction.

Radio

;);)

Radio, How's the WiFi service at the DockYard. Planning on bringing my Ipad in August.

Thank You for all of the updates :)

Radio, How's the WiFi service at the DockYard. Planning on bringing my Ipad in August.

Thank You for all of the updates :)

It is very strong. . .Great speed ! You will love it.

I just got back on the ship and will post after dinner. . .

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

;);)

Archived