MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Hello there, you guys sound like your going to be having 2 packed cars! I was wondering Which lot are you guys going to use for parking? I have been checking out a few, Got a good price of 242.00 for the 8 days with Valet service after dropping off, and a 5 dollar voucher for taxi after and it's only a few minute walk, Just in case our usual Ride is working these days, and thinking it's probably just as easy to drive our own car and leave when we want to and from, I live about 25 min from the pier in Westchester. and us like you, get there as early so OUR vacation starts sooner! LOL....

We just park in the lot by the pier. It's the most convenient with the kids. My father priced it but I forgot how much at the moment. I know it sounded fine to us though. We do this for convenience and find that for us it's worth it.

We got to the Pier between 10am & 10:30am. Our driver was a bit early and we didn't hit much traffic coming from NJ.

They were still pretty busy getting people off. If you are at Pier 90, there is a snack bar on the second level. Outside the roped off area, there was a general seating area. We waited there for my sister. She arrived at about 11am, and we were able to go right to security. There were no lines at that point.

We didn't check any luggage, so I couldn't say for sure. By 11am the flow kind of reversed and there were more people coming in than leaving. But I can't be sure about the porter availability for people boarding. They only make money if they are moving, and let me tell you they were moving! :D

Ok great, so if my sister has to board her dogs at 10am we should be fine and hopefully beat the worst of the crowds boarding. And at the buffet of course. I have to stop by the MDR first to discuss my son's food allergies before we go to the buffet. He's allergic to shellfish, tree nuts and peanuts.

Is the Splendor ever going to get 2.0 upgrades?

I don't see it scheduled for dry dock, so don't know how it could get the upgrades. I sure wish they would just add a Guy's Burger before 2/21/14! :eek::cool::D:rolleyes:;):)

I was quite happy with her the way she was! I'd like to try one of Guy's burgers, but if it means losing the Mongolian Wok and the Sushi Bar - I'll pass! :D

I totally agree. The regular lido grill burgers etc. are great the way they are and I am glad this remains on Splendor. I look forward to my evening sushi so I am also happy it remains on Splendor.

I have not yet tried the Mongolian station and I look forward to trying it when I am on Splendor in Jan 2014.

I was quite happy with her the way she was! I'd like to try one of Guy's burgers, but if it means losing the Mongolian Wok and the Sushi Bar - I'll pass! :D

My only complaint with the Splendor and/or the Mongolian Wok is the placement of it. The long lines can make it a hassle trying to get to the midship elevators/stairs :(

What are some of the options for parking when it comes to cruising out of NYC in October?? And if you could include prices please that would be great!

Thanks

My future husband and I are also cruising in october and since we're from montreal we will be driving as well. I found a parking near the port that is less expensive than the cruise terminal parking. Its the Allianceparkingservices, you can reserve online. Im sure ther are some even less expensive but I wanted an inside one.

Hope it helped :)

I totally agree. The regular lido grill burgers etc. are great the way they are and I am glad this remains on Splendor. I look forward to my evening sushi so I am also happy it remains on Splendor.

I have not yet tried the Mongolian station and I look forward to trying it when I am on Splendor in Jan 2014.

I wish they would add the chicken fingers to the grill like Miracle had. Oh, they were so good...:D

From their FAQ -

The following beverages are available in the Lido Deck Restaurant, 24/7 and are complimentary: Coffee; Hot Tea; Hot Chocolate; Lemonade; Sweet Ice Tea.

I don't find the Sweet Ice Tea to be that sweet, but mixed with the lemonade its not bad.

I think breakfast in the MDR is until about 10am. I think the buffet does breakfast until about noon, but I don't recall if they have all the juices out there or if you need to go to one of the bars to get it. Someone else probably remembers a bit more clearly.

From their FAQ -

The following beverages are available in the Lido Deck Restaurant, 24/7 and are complimentary: Coffee; Hot Tea; Hot Chocolate; Lemonade; Sweet Ice Tea.

I don't find the Sweet Ice Tea to be that sweet, but mixed with the lemonade its not bad.

I think breakfast in the MDR is until about 10am. I think the buffet does breakfast until about noon, but I don't recall if they have all the juices out there or if you need to go to one of the bars to get it. Someone else probably remembers a bit more clearly.

Thank you!

Kath, do you have any tips for not overpacking? How on earth did you get by on only a carry-on (one each, I'm assuming) :confused::confused:

LOL! We had 1 16" x 24", 1 rolling carry on and a LOT of peripherals :D The 16 x 24 just had clothes and stuff I didn't mind checking. I had all the stuff I didn't want to check in the smaller bag and the peripherals - just in case we had to check the 16 x 24 (we didn't)

I had a wine carrier, a the carry-on I put under the seat on a plane - it's one of those soft sided tote kind of things that fits over the handle on the rolling bag. I also had a camera bag with 2 cameras and one Nook. PLUS another large tote bag with all kinds of pockets.

I got this great bungee cord thing - just for luggage - from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I had my netbook connected to the small roller bag and also the wine bag with it. I carried the camera bag and the other tote on my shoulder. I looked like a pack mule :D

I don't pack a lot of clothes, but I take a lot of stuff!

My only complaint with the Splendor and/or the Mongolian Wok is the placement of it. The long lines can make it a hassle trying to get to the midship elevators/stairs :(

Oh - we didn't have any problem with that - people on all the lines - not just this one - were pretty good about staying close to the wall.

The worst like of the cruise was the day of the Chocolate Extravaganza!

Does anybody know what drinks are included during the day on the ship? I heard that if you want cranberry juice or orange you have to stock up in the am, is this true? If so, what time do they stop serving these juices? Thank you!

I didn't see cranberry juice at all. I think you would have to get that at one of the bars. I know they stop serving the yummy Mango-guava after breakfast. I'm not sure about the OJ.

We drank mostly water (or alcoholic beverages :D ). A few times I did the half ice tea/half lemonade - I like it.

Hi all, We are booked on the Splendor out of NYC next April. We have sailed the Splendor before out of Long Beach and had a Fantastic time!

This time we booked an Aft Wrap on the Empress. Our Cruising buddies have Aft Extended Balconies.

My question is do the Balconies connect from the Aft Wrap to the Aft Extended Balconies.

I have searched the internet and found some great pics that show the opening partitions, but nobody at Carnival can answer me if they do connect!

SO, Anybody Know??

Thanks,

Mike Washington

I didn't see cranberry juice at all. I think you would have to get that at one of the bars. I know they stop serving the yummy Mango-guava after breakfast. I'm not sure about the OJ.

We drank mostly water (or alcoholic beverages :D ). A few times I did the half ice tea/half lemonade - I like it.

Right on all counts Kat, they stop the OJ around 11 also. We usually have iced tea and a little lemon aid...ditto on the alcoholic beverages also:o

Hi all, We are booked on the Splendor out of NYC next April. We have sailed the Splendor before out of Long Beach and had a Fantastic time!

This time we booked an Aft Wrap on the Empress. Our Cruising buddies have Aft Extended Balconies.

My question is do the Balconies connect from the Aft Wrap to the Aft Extended Balconies.

I have searched the internet and found some great pics that show the opening partitions, but nobody at Carnival can answer me if they do connect!

SO, Anybody Know??

Thanks,

Mike Washington

Some cant and some can. I dont think you will find anything online that will tell you a yes or no. You can either ask your room steward or gust services to open them. They only do a certain amount (don't know why) so ask early if you want them open.

Oooh mango-guava?? That sounds delicious! Thanks for the tips Kat & Jim

LOL! We had 1 16" x 24", 1 rolling carry on and a LOT of peripherals :D The 16 x 24 just had clothes and stuff I didn't mind checking. I had all the stuff I didn't want to check in the smaller bag and the peripherals - just in case we had to check the 16 x 24 (we didn't)

I had a wine carrier, a the carry-on I put under the seat on a plane - it's one of those soft sided tote kind of things that fits over the handle on the rolling bag. I also had a camera bag with 2 cameras and one Nook. PLUS another large tote bag with all kinds of pockets.

I got this great bungee cord thing - just for luggage - from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I had my netbook connected to the small roller bag and also the wine bag with it. I carried the camera bag and the other tote on my shoulder. I looked like a pack mule :D

I don't pack a lot of clothes, but I take a lot of stuff!

OMG, I was laughing so hard at the picture you painted!! I can just imagine you lugging all that stuff around with you. Unfortunately I'm not as adventurous as you. I think I'll stick to my checkable suitcase and small carry-on, lol! BTW, the tech in you shows in the use of the term "peripherals" ;)

Does anybody know what drinks are included during the day on the ship? I heard that if you want cranberry juice or orange you have to stock up in the am, is this true? If so, what time do they stop serving these juices? Thank you!

They do NOT have cranberry juice anywhere...unless you order a drink from the bar with it mixed in! :( You are allowed 12 non alc drinks as carry on/pp of up to 20 oz. I make "Madras" in our cabin. Vodka, 1/2 OJ and 1/2 cran juice. I carried on a 6 pack of cranberry juice and also threw an empty 1 L plastic bottle in my suitcase. At breakfast each day I would fill the liter bottle up with OJ and bring back to our cabin for drinks that night. As some others have mentioned, they replace the OJ and mango/guava juice about 11am and put ice tea and lemonade in time for lunch. Don't forget, you can also bring on the 12 drinks/pp at any of the ports, so the 6 pack of cran juice would usually last until the lst port. ;)

Was the chocolate extravaganza during the day or was it a mid night buffet? Was there a mid night buffet at all? What can I expect from the chocolate extravaganza? Sorry for all the questions!

Chocolate extravaganza is the lunch dessert on the last day of the cruise at the Lido buffet. It has everything you can imagine and more than that! YUMMO! :D

They do NOT have cranberry juice anywhere...unless you order a drink from the bar with it mixed in! :( You are allowed 12 non alc drinks as carry on/pp of up to 20 oz. I make "Madras" in our cabin. Vodka, 1/2 OJ and 1/2 cran juice. I carried on a 6 pack of cranberry juice and also threw an empty 1 L plastic bottle in my suitcase. At breakfast each day I would fill the liter bottle up with OJ and bring back to our cabin for drinks that night. As some others have mentioned, they replace the OJ and mango/guava juice about 11am and put ice tea and lemonade in time for lunch. Don't forget, you can also bring on the 12 drinks/pp at any of the ports, so the 6 pack of cran juice would usually last until the lst port. ;)

Chocolate extravaganza is the lunch dessert on the last day of the cruise at the Lido buffet. It has everything you can imagine and more than that! YUMMO! :D

Thanks Karen deff going to bring a large cup to stock up on the good drinks!