'St Petersburg advice - ask a local' 2

mstelly

It was 'Moderated' yesterday. I too was trying to reference some of the very useful and delightful information in there. I noticed she had a post in a different thread and that was deleted as well.

Oh well, . . . :(

It was 'Moderated' yesterday. I too was trying to reference some of the very useful and delightful information in there. I noticed she had a post in a different thread and that was deleted as well.

Oh well, . . . :(

Well if this is how they censer the threads I see no point in staying on here.The person stayed within the guidelines at all time,except saying they were a guide.I thought the whole point of these forums were to give help to cruisers and what a lot of information they gave us.I would say that the St Petersburg advertisers put pressure on Cruise Critic,so much for free speach

Well if this is how they censer the threads I see no point in staying on here.The person stayed within the guidelines at all time,except saying they were a guide.I thought the whole point of these forums were to give help to cruisers and what a lot of information they gave us.I would say that the St Petersburg advertisers put pressure on Cruise Critic,so much for free speach

Considering the person never once said anything that would make someone think about not using a SPB tour company, I doubt the advertisers put pressure on CC.

Unless you know all the rules about what tour guides can and cannot post here (and I don't and I've been here a long time), it's hard to say that the OP did or did not violate CC's rules. CC owns this board, and we have to play by their rules if we want to post here.

Considering the person never once said anything that would make someone think about not using a SPB tour company, I doubt the advertisers put pressure on CC.

Unless you know all the rules about what tour guides can and cannot post here (and I don't and I've been here a long time), it's hard to say that the OP did or did not violate CC's rules. CC owns this board, and we have to play by their rules if we want to post here.

Doesnt mean I have to like it or agree! I wanted some of the photos and info to document for our cruise. And now with the wealth of information --- its GONE! I would just like to wonder if they warned or advised the OP what the problem was, he seemed to be extra careful to follow the rules.

It is so helpful to have a local providing up to date, current and correct information -- I would think post like that would be a MAJOR benefit to this board! The OP never posted the company that he worked for, nor solicited ... more respectful than some of the "travel agents" on here that say .. call me I can help you!

Doesnt mean I have to like it or agree! I wanted some of the photos and info to document for our cruise. And now with the wealth of information --- its GONE! I would just like to wonder if they warned or advised the OP what the problem was, he seemed to be extra careful to follow the rules.

It is so helpful to have a local providing up to date, current and correct information -- I would think post like that would be a MAJOR benefit to this board! The OP never posted the company that he worked for, nor solicited ... more respectful than some of the "travel agents" on here that say .. call me I can help you!

I also was looking for some of the information to put into my notes and really enjoyed the photos and information on some of the sights that are not normally seen on the normal tours. I personally never saw anything posted by them that would have crossed the lines. It is a shame that such a wealth of information has obviously now been banned from these boards when they seemed to be following the guidelines. :mad: At least they were up front and said they were a tour guide when they could have done the same thing and just posted as a local from the area.

I asked the question about the bridge raising near the English Embankment during White Nights. I meant to come back the next day and copy and paste the info into my desktop computer file. The whole thread was gone.

Did anyone save that info about the bridge raising and will you repost it here?

I asked the question about the bridge raising near the English Embankment during White Nights. I meant to come back the next day and copy and paste the info into my desktop computer file. The whole thread was gone.

Here's a bridge timetable for the current opening times from The St. Petersburg Times. You may want to check it closer again just before you go.

http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=146&section=78

They let it be known they were a tour guide and within days there were inquiries as to how to book their tours. But you are right the poster could have just been "helpful", but instead chose to point out that they were a tour guide. Why would a tour guide who makes a living in the tourist trade want to help folks, just because, I was asking myself.

I also was looking for some of the information to put into my notes and really enjoyed the photos and information on some of the sights that are not normally seen on the normal tours. I personally never saw anything posted by them that would have crossed the lines. It is a shame that such a wealth of information has obviously now been banned from these boards when they seemed to be following the guidelines. :mad: At least they were up front and said they were a tour guide when they could have done the same thing and just posted as a local from the area.

I don't have a copy of the specific info you requested, but you can find the schedule for the bridge openings on the Neva River during White Nights here:

Alexander Nevsky Bridge

Most Alexandra Nevskogo 2:35 – 4:50 a.m.

Stock Exchange Bridge

Birzhevoy Most 2:25 – 3:20 a.m. & 3:40 – 4:40 a.m.

Bolshokhtinsky, or Peter the Great, Bridge

Bolsheokhtinsky, or Most Petra Velikogo 2:45 – 4:55 a.m.

Grand Krestovsky Bridge

Bolshoi Krestovsky Most 2:35 – 4:50 a.m. & 4:45 – 5:20 a.m.

Grand Peter Bridge

Bolshoy Petrovkiy Most 2:35 – 4:50 a.m. & 5:00 – 5:45 a.m.

Palace Bridge

Dvortsovy Most 1:55 – 3:05 a.m. & 3:15 – 4:45 a.m.

Grenadier Bridge

Grenadersky Most 2:45 – 3:45 a.m. & 4:20 – 4:50 a.m.

Kamennoostrovky Bridge

Kamennoostrovky Most 2:15 – 3:00 a.m. & 4:05 – 4:50 a.m.

Kantemirovsky Bridge

Kantemirovsky Most 2:10 – 4:40 a.m.

Trinity Bridge

Troitsky Most 2:10 – 4:40 a.m.

Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge

Most Leytenanta Schmidta 1:55 – 4:50 a.m.

Foundry Bridge

Liteyny Most 2:10 – 4:40 a.m.

St Sampson Bridge

Sampsoniyevsky Most 2:10 – 2:25 a.m. & 3:20 – 4:25 a.m.

Tuchkov Bridge

Tuchkov Most 2:00 – 3:10 a.m. & 3:40 – 4:40 a.m.

Ushakov Bridge

Ushakov Most 2:15 – 2:55 a.m. & 3:55 – 4:30 a.m.

Volodarsky Bridge

Volodarsky Most 2:00 – 5:50 a.m.

They let it be known they were a tour guide and within days there were inquiries as to how to book their tours. But you are right the poster could have just been "helpful", but instead chose to point out that they were a tour guide. Why would a tour guide who makes a living in the tourist trade want to help folks, just because, I was asking myself.

And they did state that they weren't allowed to discuss it. It could be that they were doing research of their own. Especially with posting the information on the alternate sights. Maybe they were trying to determine what peoples interests are to see if there was enough interest to offer different types of tours.

I don't have a copy of the specific info you requested, but you can find the schedule for the bridge openings on the Neva River during White Nights here:

Alexander Nevsky Bridge

Most Alexandra Nevskogo 2:35 – 4:50 a.m.

Stock Exchange Bridge

Birzhevoy Most 2:25 – 3:20 a.m. & 3:40 – 4:40 a.m.

Bolshokhtinsky, or Peter the Great, Bridge

Bolsheokhtinsky, or Most Petra Velikogo 2:45 – 4:55 a.m.

Grand Krestovsky Bridge

Bolshoi Krestovsky Most 2:35 – 4:50 a.m. & 4:45 – 5:20 a.m.

Grand Peter Bridge

Bolshoy Petrovkiy Most 2:35 – 4:50 a.m. & 5:00 – 5:45 a.m.

Palace Bridge

Dvortsovy Most 1:55 – 3:05 a.m. & 3:15 – 4:45 a.m.

Grenadier Bridge

Grenadersky Most 2:45 – 3:45 a.m. & 4:20 – 4:50 a.m.

Kamennoostrovky Bridge

Kamennoostrovky Most 2:15 – 3:00 a.m. & 4:05 – 4:50 a.m.

Kantemirovsky Bridge

Kantemirovsky Most 2:10 – 4:40 a.m.

Trinity Bridge

Troitsky Most 2:10 – 4:40 a.m.

Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge

Most Leytenanta Schmidta 1:55 – 4:50 a.m.

Foundry Bridge

Liteyny Most 2:10 – 4:40 a.m.

St Sampson Bridge

Sampsoniyevsky Most 2:10 – 2:25 a.m. & 3:20 – 4:25 a.m.

Tuchkov Bridge

Tuchkov Most 2:00 – 3:10 a.m. & 3:40 – 4:40 a.m.

Ushakov Bridge

Ushakov Most 2:15 – 2:55 a.m. & 3:55 – 4:30 a.m.

Volodarsky Bridge

Volodarsky Most 2:00 – 5:50 a.m.

Thanks. I did have a link to the bridge openings. However,I couldn't remember which two she said could be seen from the ship if docked by the English Embankment. I think the Palace Bridge was one.

Is it safe to go with a tour operator?

Our cruise says that you can only leave boat with their cruise excursions.

Is this true?

Your cruise is lying to you. Look for the threads here marked "Do I need a Visa?" and similar.

You will get a better, more personal, and less expensive tour from a local vendor. There are three that are extremely well regarded here with dozens of recommendations -- in alphabetical order:

Alla

SPB Tours

TJ Tours.

You can use the search function here and find out tons of info about these three and others that are also recommended.

I went with Best Guides Group twice and it couldn't have been safer: they arrange all the documents for you, meet you as soon as you go through the customs, tend your every need and don’t take any prepayment. By the way, your cruise will also say you have to let their tours go through the customs first. Don't believe them, just disembark. My experience shows that Russians don't care which company goes first.

You need to add Red October to this list. They are also a long standing, well respected company.

You will get a better, more personal, and less expensive tour from a local vendor. There are three that are extremely well regarded here with dozens of recommendations -- in alphabetical order:

Alla

SPB Tours

TJ Tours.

You can use the search function here and find out tons of info about these three and others that are also recommended.

Archived