Insignia

kcanada

We are considering a summer 2014 cruise on Insignia. We were on Regatta last summer and loved it. Does anyone know what the refurbishments to Insignia may be after it returns to the Oceania fleet? Will the rooms be updated? Will the restaurants be the same? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've been waiting for someone wiser than I to answer you ...

I know there will be renovations done after the lease of Insignia to another company. And I know that upgrades are planned for the "R" ships to incorporate some of the new additions to the "O" ships.

I'm sure the cabins will be renovated, and that the restaurants will remain the same. (What did the lessee do to them? I have no idea!) But Oceania should return them to the original condition whatever the lessee did, UNLESS they are changing the other dining rooms. Which I would doubt will happen.

I would be surprised if the "new" Insignia doesn't look like Regatta and Nautica, as it always did.

Mura

Does anyone have the dates of the R ship drydocks next year?

I too am interested in when the ship we will sail on - Nautica - will be in drydock and what will be done.

By looking at the ship's schedule and seeing that the nautica had a 10 day time period in May, 2014 where she was not sailing anywhere (and BTW, in-port Italy) I figured that she was in 'labor'.

Might want to try that on your own to at least find out when your ship will be 'getting her hair done'

I still would really like to know what the scuttlebutt is on WHAT is being done to the ships:p

Insignia will be in April 2014 ;)

FDR posted a while ago about maybe putting in Baristas where the GDR bar is now & maybe adding a grill to the TERRACE if possible to do

Probably replacing worn carpets, decking & furniture would be next on the "to do" list

Even after drydock you hardly notice a difference because the ships are very well maintained through out the year

We just go back from Marina and are booked on Insignia in 2014. My wife wants to put in her vote to putting in Baristas at Insignia's refit if at all possible. She loved it!

Is FDR listening?

We just go back from Marina and are booked on Insignia in 2014. My wife wants to put in her vote to putting in Baristas at Insignia's refit if at all possible. She loved it!

Is FDR listening?

He is ALWAYS reading :D

Is FDR listening?

I'm not against installing Baristas on the R ships, but I certainly hope that they rethink the idea of putting it in place of the Grand Bar.

211239.jpg

The smell of burnt coffee, which would be inevitable, makes me nauseous.

131249.jpg

Locating Baristas on Deck 11, aft of the Cabanas would utilize a VERY underused space

131452.jpg

Or, if they re-purposed just one of the two huge service pantries at the back of Horizons, then the "new" Baristas could overlook the pool again :D

But who wants to hike up to deck 11 for coffee :rolleyes:

No elevator, no washrooms, no shade :eek:

No Elevator: A very popular Cruise Hint for curbing the extra calories

No Washrooms: 35 feet away (15 of them down)

No Shade: Awnings dear, Awnings. ;)

131943.jpg

Di and I are scheduled on the May 2014 Insignia. I can't start my day without a double espresso and some pastry! Management can put it anywhere they want as long as it's open early and closes late.

Steve & Diane

Manchester, MO

131943.jpg

Oddly those wonderful awnings were not up our entire mid-summer Med/Middle East cruise last year. It was extremely hot and I was looking forward to Riviera as I enjoyed the many more places in the shade on Marina than the R ships. Did not spend a lot of time out on deck as the shade locations were heavily utilized. (lots of snoring from happy pax in the two semi enclosed areas on deck 14.)

On the O-class ships they do need to do something with the Grand Bar. It is even less warm & inviting now that they have removed the carpet; essentially long hallway lined with furniture. Lovely furnishings and art; it is sad that it is so unused. On a previous Marina cruise at least there were some folks on sea days in there reading (and again sleeping) as it was a quiet place.

Either way it is not generating any revenue for O and not a great space for pax. That said I recall only once or twice have I ordered a drink in the R ship Grand Bar but on the O ships have on a few occasions enjoyed a cocktail before dinner listening to the excellent quartet as folks make their way to the GDR. Sets the tone for dinner.

Unfortunately, I do not have a better idea than a coffee bar here. It could be a great traditional centre to socialize. I understand your comment about the odour. While it would not make me ill, as much as I like coffee (and I DO) too much of a good thing is ... too much. I would not want to be seated on the other side of the wall in the GDR having dinner with the espresso machine and milk steamer cranking out coffee.

On our recent crosing the outside decks were closed an entire day due to high winds. I can imagine coffee addicts clumping up 15 stairs in a blinding rainstorm to get to their "fix", but I can't imagine the chaos if they couldn't get there at all for an entire day.

I have no better solution, but Deck 11 is probably not the right pace...

On our recent crosing the outside decks were closed an entire day due to high winds. I can imagine coffee addicts clumping up 15 stairs in a blinding rainstorm to get to their "fix", but I can't imagine the chaos if they couldn't get there at all for an entire day.

I have no better solution, but Deck 11 is probably not the right pace...

Okay, but what about my second suggestion?

"Re-purposing one of the two huge service pantries at the back of Horizons"

131452.jpg That would give Baristas's access from the elevator lobby, as well as optional seating overlooking the pool ala the O ships.

Unfortunately, I do not have a better idea than a coffee bar here. It could be a great traditional centre to socialize. I understand your comment about the odour. While it would not make me ill, as much as I like coffee (and I DO) too much of a good thing is ... too much. I would not want to be seated on the other side of the wall in the GDR having dinner with the espresso machine and milk steamer cranking out coffee.

Maybe they will close Baristas at 6pm on the R-ships instead of 6:30pm like on the O ships then open the bar at 6pm ...it could be a shared space

It is under utilized during the day

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

I would guess (IMHO) that O will put Baristas in the same place Azamara has their coffee bar on deck 5 where the unused desks are..at least that would be my choice!!

Jancruz1

I would guess (IMHO) that O will put Baristas in the same place Azamara has their coffee bar on deck 5 where the unused desks are..at least that would be my choice!!

Jancruz1

Is that desk the desk used by the 'Ambassador' on O's R-ships in the Upper Hall?

If that Upper Hall is the area there is already only limited seating to enjoy the quartet before dinner. Usually all the seats are taken at that time though it is not used too much during the day except as a meeting place. On Az not so much a problem because they have eliminated the music (*if* that is where the harpist used to play). Mind you I have never seen that grand piano used. Same for one in the GDR - why is it even in there?? Sorry off topic meandering

Maybe they will close Baristas at 6pm on the R-ships instead of 6:30pm like on the O ships then open the bar at 6pm ...it could be a shared space

It is under utilized during the day

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

Good catch! I had not thought about the closing time. This does solve the other issues

My money is on LHT28's idea.

FDR

Great. This will another make a nice area to socialize

Do you have to pay for coffee or were you making a joke?....you are very clever that way!

No, no charge for coffee or lattes or ... Do they still have the frozen coffee machine? This just got in started on Riviera when we boarded last summer so hope it was not just a trial. It is sweet, but so very good on a hot day, in the Med, on board O... Ready for another cruise I think

Yes, LTH28 definitely deserves at least a cup of Illy for that design suggestion. I'll buy the coffee.

Do they still have the frozen coffee machine? This just got in started on Riviera so hope it was not just a trial. It is sweet, but so very good on a hot day in the Med on board O.

Frozen coffee ..that must be new

Is it like Timmies?

Lyn

Archived