Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

I have to point out that the only good reason to have a passport is for international travel. That it may have other uses or benefits is icing on the cake.

I have to disagree on this. Maybe it's just semantics though. I totally see your point that you don't NEED a passport if you don't travel internationally and I never understand why people get so riled up about whether someone else has one. But, I've used my passport several times for things other than international travel. I don't consider them icing on the cake, am am glad I have my passport and can use it for ID. I have a passport for ID in addition to international travel. But, you're correct in that I NEED it only for international travel. It just makes things so much easier at times. :D

There is a variety of documents you can use to make up the two points:

The MVC accepts hundreds of different

documents, but some are much more common

than others. Try one of these combinations to

pass 6 Point ID Verification:

• Civil birth certificate (4 pts, primary)

• Civil marriage certificate (3 pts, secondary)

• Utility bill less than 90 days old

(address verification)

• Current NJ photo driver license (1 pt,

secondary)

• ATM card with name and signature

(1 pt, secondary)

• Credit card bill less than 90 days old

(address verification)

New driver?

• Civil birth certificate (4 pts, primary)

• Social Security card (1 pt, secondary)

• Bank statement or record (1 pt, secondary)

• Parent/guardian address verification

Thank you.

That is just what I wanted to know.

That's a substantial list and most should be able to provide adequate proof from those choices.

I wonder though....... IF utility bills are in DH's name but we live at same address, would they accept an electric bill from me if the bill is in his name?

Thanks again.

OP: regardless of how people frame the issue on Cruisecritic I think it's absolutely about money. For a family of four that's over $300. That's a chunk of change. I think passports should be free. They are insanely expensive.

I keep reading "it's all about the money", with an additional justification that children's passports have to be renewed after 5 years, so more cost.

Passports cost a similar amount for citizens of countries other than the USA. Many countries (including my own) require passport renewal every 5 years, so the annual cost of a passport is higher.

And yet, we all get passports if we want to travel. Somehow, we find that money. We don't cry poor and say we can't afford it. That's an argument that doesn't resonate with me.

I keep reading "it's all about the money", with an additional justification that children's passports have to be renewed after 5 years, so more cost.

Passports cost a similar amount for citizens of countries other than the USA. Many countries (including my own) require passport renewal every 5 years, so the annual cost of a passport is higher.

And yet, we all get passports if we want to travel. Somehow, we find that money. We don't cry poor and say we can't afford it. That's an argument that doesn't resonate with me.

But, is a passport required for you to travel? I have a passport because I travel internationally, but my first few cruises I used my DL and BC. I didn't need a passport so why would I get one? I understand both arguments. I'm glad I have my passport, but TBH, if I didn't need it I likely wouldn't have gotten one.

Crying poor really doesn't resonate on a cruise board :p

It doesn't resonate with you because you seem unable to understand the explanation. People aren't crying poor and saying they can't afford it. They are saying they are choosing not to spend hundreds of dollars on things they don't need. Is that really so hard to understand?

It's about not paying money for something that is not required. You are required to get a passport if you want to travel so paying it is a required part of your travel cost. US Citizens do not need passports to travel within the US (which is huge) or closed loop cruises. It is an OPTION for us to purchase for that type of travel. Many of us are not willing to pay for something that is NOT REQUIRED. I'm not crying poor...I'm saying I have other uses for that money so I'm not going to spend it on things I don't need.

Edited by Warm Breezes

It doesn't resonate with you because you seem unable to understand the explanation. People aren't crying poor and saying they can't afford it. They are saying they are choosing not to spend hundreds of dollars on things they don't need. Is that really so hard to understand?

Actually, Celle is correct.

I recall a number of times through many of these threads when some people have posted they can't afford the price of passports for their family. Yes, there clearly are some who feel them unnecessary ands do not mention the cost but there are also those who have said if it were not for the monetary factor, they would prefer to have passports.

Seago2 said passports should be free. Passport fees are basically considered "user fees", let the taxpayers who are using the service pay for it.

The other posters are basically saying why waste money on something that isn't required.

Members of CC aren't your typical cruise customer. Look how many cruises many members have in their signature. People who cruise a lot should get a passport sooner rather then later. It's only a matter of time before you decide to take your favorite cruise line up on a deal which requires a passport.

Family that's only planning one cruise and no vacations which require a passport. I can see both sides of it.

I understand perfectly. I've been on these boards and travelling around the world for quite a while now. Whatever you say, getting a passport is a minimal cost, compared with other travel costs. I also understand that people don't want to buy something they think is not necessary - until they get into an emergency situation.

It's about not paying money for something that is not required. You are required to get a passport if you want to travel so paying it is a required part of your travel cost. US Citizens do not need passports to travel within the US (which is huge) or closed loop cruises. It is an OPTION for us to purchase for that type of travel. Many of us are not willing to pay for something that is NOT REQUIRED. I'm not crying poor...I'm saying I have other uses for that money so I'm not going to spend it on things I don't need.

Fair enough. Your choice. I'm not telling anyone what they should do.

FWIW, producing a passport is much more convenient than having to show both birth certificate and DL.

Just as an aside - how do you folks protect your birth certificates? Mine is large and it woudl fall to bits if it had to be frequently folded and unfolded.

I recall a number of times through many of these threads when some people have posted they can't afford the price of passports for their family. Yes, there clearly are some who feel them unnecessary ands do not mention the cost but there are also those who have said if it were not for the monetary factor, they would prefer to have passports.

Exactly. And not just on this particular thread.

Seago2 said passports should be free. Passport fees are basically considered "user fees", let the taxpayers who are using the service pay for it.

The other posters are basically saying why waste money on something that isn't required.

Members of CC aren't your typical cruise customer. Look how many cruises many members have in their signature. People who cruise a lot should get a passport sooner rather then later. It's only a matter of time before you decide to take your favorite cruise line up on a deal which requires a passport.

Family that's only planning one cruise and no vacations which require a passport. I can see both sides of it.

When you say sooner or later what kind of timeline are you talking about. I have done 28 cruises over 22 years and I haven't had the need to take my favorite cruise line up on an offer yet where i needed a passport.

Bill

I understand perfectly. I've been on these boards and travelling around the world for quite a while now. Whatever you say, getting a passport is a minimal cost, compared with other travel costs. I also understand that people don't want to buy something they think is not necessary - until they get into an emergency situation.

Fair enough. Your choice. I'm not telling anyone what they should do.

FWIW, producing a passport is much more convenient than having to show both birth certificate and DL.

Just as an aside - how do you folks protect your birth certificates? Mine is large and it woudl fall to bits if it had to be frequently folded and unfolded.

We just received our passports for DH and my self because our risks changed with our 11th cruise making it worth getting passports for us. We did not get passports for DS and DD for our upcoming 10th cruise because their risks did not change so IMHO it is not worth getting for them and they will not be with us on our 11th cruise. If they had been going with us then our risks wouldn't have changed either and we would still not have passports.

As for carrying around a passport vs a BC. That passport I just received is a lot more bulky and awkward to carry around than our BC which are on smaller than an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper and fits perfectly into a plastic folder (no need to fold/unfold) that I keep all our travel paperwork in that also fits perfectly in my travel bag. I just pull it out of my folder and hand our documents at check in or customs. My passport is not going to fit nicely in my folder. Especially since it is in a special holder to keep the chip in it from being read. IMHO it is much more cumbersome than my BC.

I have a second of set of BC's (our originals issued by the state) that I keep in my safe at home that fold up and fit into a credit card sized envelope that DH's original BC came in. All 4 of our original BC fit in that small envelope. We used these for our first 5-6 cruises. I got the BC's we use now when we thought we would have to get passports back in 2009 and I didn't want to send my originals off to get the passports. Carrying that little envelope around was easy.

Edited by Warm Breezes

When you say sooner or later what kind of timeline are you talking about. I have done 28 cruises over 22 years and I haven't had the need to take my favorite cruise line up on an offer yet where i needed a passport.

Bill

Plus you would probably want to wait until you did take them up on their offer where a passport was required before getting a passport...why waste years when you don't need to. Some people just don't get that.

Bill

Obviously it doesn't apply to you.

Cruiselines have had some very deep discounts on European cruises the last few years. Cruiselines are offering deep discounts on Alaskan cruises. Adults need a passport if they want to fly in or out of Vancouver (any place in Canada). NE--Canada one way cruise. Adults need a passport if you want to fly in or out of Canada.

My point is a person who is planning on taking a lot of cruises might benefit from having a passport. A family who is planning one family cruise is unlikely to need a passport and might want to save the money.

I don't think it's a waste of money if you think you might take advantage of a last minute deal and don't want to be paying to expedite your passport. Unless something has changed your BC is submitted with your passport application. You get it back with your passport.

Edited by Lookingforfacts

Obviously it doesn't apply to you.

Cruiselines have had some very deep discounts on European cruises the last few years. Cruiselines are offering deep discounts on Alaskan cruises. Adults need a passport if they want to fly in or out of Vancouver (any place in Canada). NE--Canada one way cruise. Adults need a passport if you want to fly in or out of Canada.

My point is a person who is planning on taking a lot of cruises might benefit from having a passport. A family who is planning one family cruise is unlikely to need a passport and might want to save the money.

I don't think it's a waste of money if you think you might take advantage of a last minute deal and don't want to be paying to expedite your passport. Unless something has changed your BC is submitted with your passport application. You get it back with your passport.

If you a cruise to Europe at the point where you need to expedite your passport, how much do you think airfare is going to be?

That is one reason I haven't taken a Med cruise, and that's why the cruises are discounted.

Because it cost so much to fly there nobody is booking.

I want to someday take a cruise to Greece but i can't wrap my head around paying more for airfare than I do for the cruise.

Plus they are port intensive and the excursions are not cheap. For my wife and I it would be a once in a lifetime thing.:)

Bill

If you a cruise to Europe at the point where you need to expedite your passport, how much do you think airfare is going to be?

That is one reason I haven't taken a Med cruise, and that's why the cruises are discounted.

Because it cost so much to fly there nobody is booking.

I want to someday take a cruise to Greece but i can't wrap my head around paying more for airfare than I do for the cruise.

Plus they are port intensive and the excursions are not cheap. For my wife and I it would be a once in a lifetime thing.:)

Bill

Bill,

If you don't like the idea of paying more for air than the cruise, you need to either get a better cabin or take a longer cruise. :)

This thread has hundreds of posts. At least a dozen people have carefully taken the time to write up their reasons for not wanting to buy a passport. Instead of addressing those posts, she may have choosen to address some remember post in other threads. Why go there?

Note - saying you don't want to buy something because of the money isn't the same things as saying you are poor and can't afford it. It's saying you have considered the options and made a choice.

This thread has hundreds of posts. At least a dozen people have carefully taken the time to write up their reasons for not wanting to buy a passport. Instead of addressing those posts, she may have choosen to address some remember post in other threads. Why go there?

Note - saying you don't want to buy something because of the money isn't the same things as saying you are poor and can't afford it. It's saying you have considered the options and made a choice.

Exactly. I am by no means poor. I have no debt besides my mortgage with less than 10 years left on it and healthy balances in savings, 401ks, and college funds. The reason I have healthy balances in those accounts is because I don't spend my money on things I'm not required to have and/or don't have the desire to purchase. In this matter I have a choice to purchase or not. For 12 years we chose not for DH and myself. Risk factors changed and we chose to for our upcoming cruises. We still chose not for DS and DD. Their risk factors did not change. Bottom line is that it is our choice as US citizens going on closed loop cruises.

Could you point us to a post in this thread where somebody says they are poor and can't afford a passport?

Anyone who has read CC and opens the multiple threads re: passports has read before about those who complain at the cost.

I spent about 1 minute on a search and immediately found this post from a CC thread on one forum or another. I didn't spend enough time to even make note of which.... just that it is CC.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22981785&postcount=42

Had I wished to spend more time, there are a great many more. :)

You only asked for one. :D

So the "...other uses or benefits..." are not good?

I consider icing on cake to be quite good;). But I wouldn't buy a passport just for the other things that it can be used for (although some do and that is their perogative).

I believe she's saying the other uses or benefits are not "reasons" not that they aren't good. That was my interpretation anyway. :o

Well, except "she's" a "he" you are right;).