Will we be warm enough?

Ginnyfyr

My husband and I are sailing on the Celebrity Century on May 19th (getting so close!) and I'm starting to worry that we won't be warm enough. Please put my mind at ease, lol! I've read lots on here that the secret to staying warm is layering, but how many layers are we talking? When we get off the ship (in Icy Strait Point, Juneau & Ketchican) we'll both be in sneakers, jeans, and layers on top most likely consisting of a long sleeved cotton shirt, zip-up hoodie, and a jacket on top if need be (we bought lightweight spring jackets at Mark's Work Warehouse that are water repellant and have hoods hidden inside the collar if we need it) I'll probably pack us each a hat, scarf & thin gloves just in case; they don't take up much room in suitcase so I don't mind bringing them and not needing them. We're doing a whale watching excursion in ISP so I'll probably add an extra layer (maybe a t-shirt under the long sleeved shirt?) for that, but otherwise we're staying on land in Juneau and Ketchikan. Does it sound like we'll be warm enough or do I need to rethink my packing plan? Thanks in advance!!

My husband and I are sailing on the Celebrity Century on May 19th (getting so close!) and I'm starting to worry that we won't be warm enough. Please put my mind at ease, lol! I've read lots on here that the secret to staying warm is layering, but how many layers are we talking? When we get off the ship (in Icy Strait Point, Juneau & Ketchican) we'll both be in sneakers, jeans, and layers on top most likely consisting of a long sleeved cotton shirt, zip-up hoodie, and a jacket on top if need be (we bought lightweight spring jackets at Mark's Work Warehouse that are water repellant and have hoods hidden inside the collar if we need it) I'll probably pack us each a hat, scarf & thin gloves just in case; they don't take up much room in suitcase so I don't mind bringing them and not needing them. We're doing a whale watching excursion in ISP so I'll probably add an extra layer (maybe a t-shirt under the long sleeved shirt?) for that, but otherwise we're staying on land in Juneau and Ketchikan. Does it sound like we'll be warm enough or do I need to rethink my packing plan? Thanks in advance!!

My daily wear on our May/June cruisetour was:

long johns (cuddle duds); t-shirt or turtleneck; long sleeved blouse; fleece jacket; long pants.

To that I would bring along my raingear pants (to use as a third layer on my legs, if necessary) and my down jacket (on some days).

Now, in most cases, most people won't need the down jacket, but I don't do cold, so I do wear mine. You could just use a waterproof jacket for that part.

You will be VERY sorry, IF you do not pack those hats and gloves. Absolutely necessary, with the whale watch and any glacier viewing.

The beauty of layers, they are easily removed. You list should be fine. I use a cheap, crappy looking, faded lined nylon jacket, and really like my sweatshirt jacket, usually with a tshirt. Enough for me. You list more.

We're Canadian (about 45 mins from Buffalo so not exactly in the Arctic, lol) and I've never worn long johns in my life in even the coldest of winters, so I'm not sure that we'd go that far (you are both from much farther south than us so you'd obviously feel the temperature difference more!) But, if it's more of a damp cold than a dry cold, long johns might be a good idea. We have to go to the mall tomorrow night anyway so perhaps I'll grab some if I see them on sale for cheap. Thanks to you both for your suggestions!!

You will be VERY sorry, IF you do not pack those hats and gloves. Absolutely necessary, with the whale watch and any glacier viewing.

The beauty of layers, they are easily removed. You list should be fine. I use a cheap, crappy looking, faded lined nylon jacket, and really like my sweatshirt jacket, usually with a tshirt. Enough for me. You list more.

Thanks so much, Budget Queen! Winter is taking its time saying goodbye this year so I still have an ample selection of hats/scarves/gloves handy to pick from before we leave, lol.

I think you will be fine (we've cruised in May)..very similar to what we'll be wearing for our May 17th on Radiance..Although some above have suggested longjohns etc. We aren't the longjohns wearing type so we'll make due with our similar to your's layering and a warm hat & gloves are a must for us.;)

I think you will be fine (we've cruised in May)..very similar to what we'll be wearing for our May 17th on Radiance..Although some above have suggested longjohns etc. We aren't the longjohns wearing type so we'll make due with our similar to your's layering and a warm hat & gloves are a must for us.;)

Thank you, Ashland! Good to hear from a similar dresser to know we won't freeze, lol. Going to pick through my winter accessories pile now, lol.

I'm a Florida native. I've got long johns (top and bottom), fleece lined footed leggings, cashmere scarf, fleece lined leather gloves, fur lined water resistant ear flap hat, ski jacket with removable fleece liner, hooded sweat shirt, sweaters, wool socks, and turtle necks on my packing list. I've got bad arthritis in my knee and I've recently lost 60 lbs. Not taking any chances on being miserably cold when we take our first Alaskan cruise May 28th. If I am over packed that's fine. I can wear a turtle neck and jeans in Florida if the temp is in the 70s, even low 80s without being uncomfortably warm so I'm definitely going for the better safe than sorry =)

I also know that it can get fairly chilly on a cruise ship while it's moving from the wind, especially if the sun isn't shining, even in the Caribbean. I will have no problem or shame in adding a bathrobe and/or blanket to my ensemble to stay cozy lol.

Oh and since I do not have hiking boots, or rain boots and don't need them, I went ahead and bought that water proof spray to spray my tennis shoes to keep my feet dry. I can spray my jeans with it too if it does rain.

Here are two FYIs:

1. The Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles has extended the deadline for removal of snow tires from May 1 to the 15 due to a lingering winter. We still have lots of snow around our house.

2. My wife reported lots of snow showers today on a Kenai Fjord Whale Watch trip from Seward.

Even though it's over two weeks away, mid-May cruisers should plan accordingly :)

Barb, we are from Florida as well and we board the Sapphire Princess on May 25th in Anchorage. You can bet your bottom dollar I've got long johns for hubby and I. I sweated a couple of buckets working in the yard today despite the rain of last night cooling it off slightly. I am dying to see Alaska but am dreading the colder than normal temps. In addition to the long johns - and just in case the LJs are too much - I packed a couple of pairs of thick tights. Target had them on clearance. Color doesn't matter when they are hidden under your clothes. And I have lots of warm socks.

Here are two FYIs:

1. The Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles has extended the deadline for removal of snow tires from May 1 to the 15 due to a lingering winter. We still have lots of snow around our house.

2. My wife reported lots of snow showers today on a Kenai Fjord Whale Watch trip from Seward.

Even though it's over two weeks away, mid-May cruisers should plan accordingly :)

Aw man, now you have me wanting to run for snow boots & down filled parkas! :eek: I think I will pack us each an extra warm sweater and our proper winter hats/gloves instead of the thinner stuff we downgrade to in March/April. Do you think we'll still be okay with sneakers in Juneau (I think that's our most northern port) or should I plan for other footwear? We're doing a sled dog puppy camp and planning to wander around the Mendenhall glacier while we're there. (and, thanks for the heads up!)

Aw man, now you have me wanting to run for snow boots & down filled parkas! :eek: I think I will pack us each an extra warm sweater and our proper winter hats/gloves instead of the thinner stuff we downgrade to in March/April. Do you think we'll still be okay with sneakers in Juneau (I think that's our most northern port) or should I plan for other footwear? We're doing a sled dog puppy camp and planning to wander around the Mendenhall glacier while we're there. (and, thanks for the heads up!)

Yeah, we want summer to get here. You should be ok in Juneau with sneakers. Only problem may be rain which is common in SE Alaska but there's no way to accurately predict it.

One way to look at it - we're better off than the forecast for the Rocky Mountains states tonight.

Yeah, we want summer to get here. You should be ok in Juneau with sneakers. Only problem may be rain which is common in SE Alaska but there's no way to accurately predict it.

One way to look at it - we're better off than the forecast for the Rocky Mountains states tonight.

Hey, if the forecast isn't sunny and warm (or something thereabouts) - they can keep it! We're both going to bring two pairs of sneakers in hopes that we won't end up with too wet of feet (worst case scenario, I'll be stumbling around Ketchikan in my stilettos, lol <-- seriously hope that doesn't happen!) We are waiting for warm weather to arrive and stay here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, too. Today was 20 C by the time I left work at 5 pm. This time last week, the husband and I drove to the bank and were stuck in the car waiting out a freak rain & hail storm for 10 minutes (all windows of the car were covered in ice - we only knew the freak storm was over 'cuz it got quiet, lol) We will try to bring some sunshine & warm temps to Alaska on our cruise! Thank you again for your local input :D

We have cruised in May in the past. Since we aren't used to really cold weather I packed my cuddle duds. I used them in San Francisco and on our Hubbard Glacier day.

My favorite thing besides them was the scarf that I bought in San Francisco. (We brought the Radiance up for the beginning or season) The wind would manage to work its way down my coat, the scarf was well used. Rain gear was a big must since we were drenched a couple of times. I brought the hat and gloves and used them on glacier day. They received some really late snow right about this time. Record snow falls kept bears snug in their dens as there really wasn't any foliage out to eat.

We took the white rail pass in Skagway. It was beautiful to see the snow banks and mountains covered in snow. The trees had not started leafing yet so we were able to see views that we might not have caught later in the season.

We're Canadian (about 45 mins from Buffalo so not exactly in the Arctic, lol) and I've never worn long johns in my life in even the coldest of winters, so I'm not sure that we'd go that far (you are both from much farther south than us so you'd obviously feel the temperature difference more!) But, if it's more of a damp cold than a dry cold, long johns might be a good idea. We have to go to the mall tomorrow night anyway so perhaps I'll grab some if I see them on sale for cheap. Thanks to you both for your suggestions!!

Just wear what you would at home during the winter.

I am on the May 17th Solstice out of Seattle. I live across the sound in Bremerton. We are just taking what we would wear here during a normal winter. Yes layers... but not to many so as not to be to hot. A back pack to shed or add as the weather dictates.

Thank you, Ashland! Good to hear from a similar dresser to know we won't freeze, lol. Going to pick through my winter accessories pile now, lol.

When you see some of us bundled up like the Michelan Man, keep in mind that some of us are from much hotter climates. Last summer was a very hot summer since Alaska was keeping all the cooler weather to themselves instead of sending us some storms through the jet stream ;) The 2 weeks before we sailed, we'd been sweating through 105F to 110F temps. We about froze our booties off in Glacier Bay lol You probably won't feel near as cold as we did or how someone from Hawaii, Florida or Arizona will feel lol

We have started checking the extended forecast to make sure we have our bases covered. We are more concerned that our son be warm. We have Hot Chilly's and Under Armour from past ski trips that we will use as base layers. I think layering is the key.

My only addition is to remember the wind too! The 2nd Cruise Ship of the season was in Ketchikan on Monday and temps were in the low-40 and sunny - doesn't sound too bad, right?! Until you add the 8-10mph wind that made it simply bone chilling cold (even to the locals!).

So I guess my thought is to 'pack for the worst' and hope for the best - it's miserable being cold (and wet!) while on vacation and trying to enjoy the area. You can ALWAYS take clothes off - that's the beauty of layering.

Enjoy!!

Coming from Ontario that would be fine for short stays outdoors-especially during the afternoon. However, if you want to stay out for a while you will need a little more definitely the hat and gloves and something that is wind and rain proof that you can wear on top of all that.

We're from Minnesota and YES THIS EVENING WE ARE GETTING 6" of snow. It never ends this year. The time I went in May the clothing I wear here in MN was fine, I have a sweatshirt that has hand mitts on them (no fingers) but hands are covered, than a lighter jacket over that and I did need to take the jacket off after a bit. I had tennis shoes and brought along an extra pair of walking shoes in case one got really wet, and heavier socks just in case. But as Budget Queen mentioned, DO NOT FORGET GLOVES And Hat we used gloves last August as well while whale watching fingers got a bit nipped and put our hoods up instead of a hat but I will bring a hat this time, sometimes my vision to the right and left was obstructed by the hood. I also figure....if I need a heavier jacket I'll buy one there for a souvenier ;)

Archived