Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

That's terrible. Personally I like Aussies.

Thanks.:D

I've taken to booking through an American site now. Although some are no longer allowed to book for residents outside of USA and Canada (for Princess and Holland America).

Frustrating that there are different prices depending where you live (for the same cruise).

One I looked at recently wass $601 in US and $945 in Australia. Although the Aussie one included tips (they don't trust us to pay the tips :eek:). Even so the tips are $84 for the 7 days so still $260 more expensive.

Thanks.:D

I've taken to booking through an American site now. Although some are no longer allowed to book for residents outside of USA and Canada (for Princess and Holland America).

Frustrating that there are different prices depending where you live (for the same cruise).

One I looked at recently wass $601 in US and $945 in Australia. Although the Aussie one included tips (they don't trust us to pay the tips :eek:). Even so the tips are $84 for the 7 days so still $260 more expensive.

That's just not fair.

Heck, some days I'll get 2 flyers from Princess on the same day with wildly different quotes for the same cruise. I think it's a marketing technique.

(Most cruise flyers in one day: 4 from 3 different lines) :confused:

The card cost $31 when preordered & $33.35 ($29+$4.35 tip) onboard & has 15 punches for specialty coffee drinks & unlimited brewed coffee for the duration of your cruise at the International Café (Lobby Bar if no IC). On the Royal punches can be used for ice cream, sundaes, shakes & crepes.

Thank you.

Am I assuming (Lobby bar if no IC) means no ice cream? This can only be used on the Royal Ship?

Sorry, new at this coffee card questions.

Thank you.

Am I assuming (Lobby bar if no IC) means no ice cream? This can only be used on the Royal Ship?

Sorry, new at this coffee card questions.

Happy to help...even older ships with an IC do not have gelato. Besides the Royal's Gelato ice cream parlor only the newer Grand-class ships such as the Crown have 3 scoops of 'gelato' for $1.50. The Royal is the 1st ship to allow a coffee card punch for ice cream treats & maybe it'll be implemented fleetwide.

Taste is subjective however I never thought that the 'gelato' tasted like in Italy but like premium ice cream. I must have been correct because the Royal's Gelato menu says it's "premium ice cream" which is what my taste buds told me. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Taste is subjective however I never thought that the 'gelato' tasted like in Italy but like premium ice cream. I must have been correct because the Royal's Gelato menu says it's "premium ice cream" which is what my taste buds told me. ;)

Discerning tastebuds know:)

Discerning tastebuds know:)

So the "Gelato" they advertise is not Gelato?

Dam, been looking forward to that.. and I DO know my Gelato..

Just my opinion, but I don't think the gelato served on the non-Royal Princess ships is premium ice cream. Most premium ice creams are richer (more cream) than regular ice cream and are served very frozen (hard).

I found the gelato to be not too frozen (but not like soft serve either), and not as rich (creamy) as regular as ice cream. It also seemed to have a denser texture (less air?) than ice cream if that makes any sense.

After having gelato in Italy earlier this year, I think the gelato served on Princess is closer to that than ice cream. BUT, the gelato was better in Italy! :)

So the "Gelato" they advertise is not Gelato?

Dam, been looking forward to that.. and I DO know my Gelato..

Not on the Royal based on the Gelato's menu which my taste buds say is true. ;) Taste is so subjective but for me what's served at Gelato was not like Italian gelato. I'll search my many photos at home because I think we took one of the Gelato's menu.

I found the gelato to be not too frozen (but not like soft serve either)

Sounds like it..

so it's denser because not as much air is whipped into the mixture. (Gelato contains about 25 to 30 percent air, while ice cream can contain as much as 50 percent air) Finally, while ice cream is typically served frozen, gelato is typically stored and served at a slightly warmer temperature, so it's not quite completely frozen.

is there a way to find out (i.e. is it listed anywhere) what all the occasions to get a free drink on your particular cruise will be....? (Captain's welcome, etc.)

thank you!

If you're a new Princess cruiser, there will be the Captain's welcome aboard party, with a glass of champagne. If you have sailed with Princess once before, you will get the Circle Party, where you will get a coupon for a free drink. If you are platinum and up there is a party where you can get several drinks..

If you're a new Princess cruiser, there will be the Captain's welcome aboard party, with a glass of champagne. If you have sailed with Princess once before, you will get the Circle Party, where you will get a coupon for a free drink. If you are platinum and up there is a party where you can get several drinks..

Hi Nina...I can only add the Captain's Farewell Cocktail Party in the atrium & free champagne at some of the art auctions.

Believe it or not, I've never seen the farewell party!

On the Royal it was on the last formal night in the Piazza between 7:15 & 8:00 two days before the end of the cruise. We had just finished dinner & got a glass of wine on the way to the Princess Theater to read while waiting for the show.

Edited by Astro Flyer

My favorite "secret" that many newer Princess travelers aren't aware of is lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. It is a wonderful menu including a lovely salmon and a sliced beef tenderloin entree. It is offered in only one of the dining rooms, usually the one located at the back of the ship (that is hard to find!) and only goes until 1:30.

Most people tend to run up to the buffet for lunch, but lunch in the dining room is one of our favorite experiences and a lovely civilized way to kick off our cruise!

that's great to hear. Most cruises ive been its not been available. I'm about to go on the Crown Princess. Does anyone know if this is available on there?

that's great to hear. Most cruises ive been its not been available. I'm about to go on the Crown Princess. Does anyone know if this is available on there?

Sadly despite Princess telling us the embarkation lunch is an option about half the time at the MDR they use various reasons (in-transit only, reserved for a group, etc.) to say "no". I've shown them that Princess says it's an option & they have admitted us. I once submitted a question about why & the maitre'd called us to apologize for an uninformed staff member.

It's become such a hassle that we sometimes don't go not wanting a confrontation. It's a shame because it's one of the best lunches during the cruise. I can only guess about why it's true which shouldn't be an issue. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sadly despite Princess telling us the embarkation lunch is an option about half the time at the MDR they use various reasons (in-transit only, reserved for a group, etc.) to say "no". I've shown them that Princess says it's an option & they have admitted us. I once submitted a question about why & the maitre'd called us to apologize for an uninformed staff member.

It's become such a hassle that we sometimes don't go not wanting a confrontation. It's a shame because it's one of the best lunches during the cruise. I can only guess about why it's true which shouldn't be an issue. :(

I believe they started offering lunch in the DR for all passengers in 2009. At least that is when we became aware of the option. In our 10 cruises since then, we were unable to have lunch in the DR only once. That was on a three day repo and both DRs on the Coral were closed for lunch. For the 6 cruises after they started posting daily dining information in the Patter, the DR open for lunch was printed in the Patter for 5 cruises and we had no problems eating there. The other cruise was the repo and no DR was listed as open in the Patter. Others obviously have had different experiences, but for us it has worked well. When we are having lunch in the DR on embarkation day we know our cruise has actually started ;)

Yes lunch in the dining room will be available upon embarkation from 1200-130pm and the dining room will be listed on the back page of your arrival patter.

Mike:)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes lunch in the dining room will be available upon embarkation from 1200-130pm and the dining room will be listed on the back page of your arrival patter.

Mike:)

Unfortunately it is not always listed in the patter.It was not listed last month on the Royal TA but the dining room on deck 6 was open.