Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

Thank you for the information. If they agree to go on another cruise, I'll contact the VA.

If he does not have a copy of his DD 214 be aware that it may take some time to get it unless he is receiving a "service" from them currently. Such as prescription assistance, medical treatment etc. You might want to have him get it now, just in case.

Is there documentation you have to show to prove you served?

For honorably discharged US veterans it's a DD214.

This link will take you to all of the details & an application form. Originally it was required to apply for each cruise & unless someone at Princess makes a mistake it's now automatically in our Captain's Circle account. It is displayed with any online Princess price quote as an OBC & should be listed in the OBC section of your Cruise Personalizer.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.UvPAQ3i9Kc0

Edited by Astro Flyer

To Papalance, regarding Service Documentation. Specifically British, I still have my old Army Book and Discharge page in the tin with Birth Certificates etc. :))

Back through this thread someone posted a link to War Office site were info might be found.

• 3 weeks later...
I love this tip. I think that is exactly what we are going to do. The buffet is always such a zoo no matter what line I have sailed on.

Thanks so much,

Christie

Thank you this is a great tip as we hate the first day crowds in the buffets on board. :D Looking forward to our first Princess Cruise in May.

I know. It's crazy to post. I honestly don't even think when the GPS is turned off and you 'take off' location it really goes away. I don't trust it. THe GPS is turned off on my friends phone and a child accidently called 911 and they knew exactly where the phone was (not that that is bad,however not truly off)

I am not on the princess roll call boards on facebook because the privacy setting is on PUBLIC. Anyone can see who is on a sailing and the date! It is not hard to figure out where people are from just from looking at public fb post. I was disappointed in princess for this lack of security. :(

I am not on the princess roll call boards on facebook because the privacy setting is on PUBLIC. Anyone can see who is on a sailing and the date! It is not hard to figure out where people are from just from looking at public fb post. I was disappointed in princess for this lack of security. :(

Dont you control your own security settings? I do

azippy

I see most of you toss the "useless" coupon book but isn't that the one that used to have a 2 for one coffee card coupon in it? That was a useful coupon in my opinion.

I read on another post to check in the room Bible for coupons that may be left there by cruisers from previous cruise. I have not cruised since I read that tip but I am excited to try it out on our up coming cruise. Great place to pay it forward! :)

I read on another post to check in the room Bible for coupons that may be left there by cruisers from previous cruise. I have not cruised since I read that tip but I am excited to try it out on our up coming cruise. Great place to pay it forward! :)

There are no bibles in the cabins. The current coupon books, including the supposed special ones from travel agents, are worthless. Save your time looking for leftovers from prior cruisers. The cabin attendants will have cleared out everything and if they haven't, they aren't doing their job.

Jackie

There are no bibles in the cabins. The current coupon books, including the supposed special ones from travel agents, are worthless. Save your time looking for leftovers from prior cruisers. The cabin attendants will have cleared out everything and if they haven't, they aren't doing their job.

Jackie

Maybe I will bring my own Bible and leave it and a goodie for someone after me. That tip was NOT on the princess secrets, many people commented on it and said they found a few goodies in their room Bibles. Too bad the coupons are worthless, I guess they are pushing the stuff no one wants to buy anyway.

Edited by Bigorange&crimsoncruiser
left out a word. link did not post well.

Dont you control your own security settings? I do

azippy

Of course I do, I control what I can Azippy but FB changes the way their settings work every few months. People have their fb accounts hacked everyday, so why leave it open to the public? A simple closed group setting would make it just a bit safer. I do not kid myself into thinking that FB, nor princess is as concerned about my private info staying private as I am. Hackers go after the easy targets first, so WHY MAKE IT EASY? :eek:

Of course I do, I control what I can Azippy but FB changes the way their settings work every few months. People have their fb accounts hacked everyday, so why leave it open to the public? A simple closed group setting would make it just a bit safer. I do not kid myself into thinking that FB, nor princess is as concerned about my private info staying private as I am. Hackers go after the easy targets first, so WHY MAKE IT EASY? :eek:

I have read that it is unwise to broadcast via social media your whereabouts because people can figure out where you live. Same is true of these roll calls if you put your whole name and city where you live on them people can figure out when you'll be gone. One doesn't actually have to be booked on a cruise to read the roll calls as you know.

• 2 weeks later...
Dad can apply online for a copy of his DD214. Once it is faxed to Princess it will remain on file so he does not have to fax it in for every cruise.

Thank you so much for the info on this. He found his DD214 so once we're ready to book on either Princess or Carnival, he should be able to get a credit. He knew I was talking about when I told him the name of the form.

I always receive a $100 on board credit for being a military veteran. If you were on active duty for 2 years with an honorable discharge you qualify. Ken...

Is the military onboard credit also available if you've booked a cabin using a discounted military rate? Thanks !

There is no such thing as discounted military rate on Princess just the military OBC which is very generous and you won't find this on other cruise lines.

That's what I wanted to clarify - thanks. Yes, it is a very generous perk !

If anyone is interested, Cunard also offers the same military benefit as Princess. The form on their website is almost identical to Princess.

Carnival sometimes offers a discounted fare for military but, as far as I've been able to find, does not offer OBC.