Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

I remember having lunch in the dining room on the old crown.

Despite the bleating here, I have never been turned away.

Just got off the Crown - on Embarkation we "asked" which dining room was open and we were directed to Horizon Court HOWEVER knowing better we tried DaVinci and were indeed let in for one of the best lunches we had all week - they had a limited menu but it was great!

Just off the Crown and from a post on this forum went in search of the "free e-postcards". Here's where we finally found them!

Go to the internet cafe - on the Crown Deck 5 next to "future cruises"

- open the log in screen (even if you have not purchased or earned minutes)

- on the right side of the log in screen there is a "common tools" (or something similar) box - with several icons: FB, Twitter, and the last one is a "camera"

- click on the camera and then on the left side of the next screen look for "send a free e-postcard"

This was hard to find on the computer screen but once found works great! Thanks for the tip!

• 2 months later...

On the Grand:

You can order from the Dinner Menu in the MDR for delivery to your cabin, no charge. As we don't do Formal, we enjoyed the "Special" items in our cabin. Our Trivia mates shared this tip with us, thanks Rosemary & John. When we double checked at the front desk, the man didn't know about it. So we called Room Service and the nice lady confirmed it is available.

In the Buffet at dinner, there is "real" ice cream behind the dessert station. Just ask the server. Then you can go over to the ice cream station on deck and have them load it with the sauces for your own sundae, at no charge!

Happy cruising,

Joanne

On the Grand:

You can order from the Dinner Menu in the MDR for delivery to your cabin, no charge. As we don't do Formal, we enjoyed the "Special" items in our cabin. Our Trivia mates shared this tip with us, thanks Rosemary & John. When we double checked at the front desk, the man didn't know about it. So we called Room Service and the nice lady confirmed it is available.

In the Buffet at dinner, there is "real" ice cream behind the dessert station. Just ask the server. Then you can go over to the ice cream station on deck and have them load it with the sauces for your own sundae, at no charge!

Happy cruising,

Joanne

Quick Question. Ordering off the MDR menu for delivery to the cabin. Is that only for suites or for all cabins? Thx.:D

Thanks for the military OBC information. My husband was honorably discharged about 2 months before his 2 years of service was up for educational reasons. At least back in the Vietnam era you could get an early out of 90 days or less if that would enable you to start school. In his case, the semester started before his discharge date so he got out early.

I've seen various military discounts advertised but they always require the 2 years without the language about the early out. This board is great!

Service in Vietnam makes him qualified. Hubby also discharged early, and he qualified. I give Princess lots of credit for providing this small thank you to Servicemen and servicewomen.

To answer your question.

I mentioned that we were on the Grand. Maybe other ships won't offer cabin service for MDR dinner.

We were in a "steerage" cabin and that's why we were skeptical at first and asked at the front desk. When the man didn't seem to know, I called Room Service and the lady confirmed that we could do it.

Nice to know. Wouldn't hurt to ask on the other ships

To answer your question.

I mentioned that we were on the Grand. Maybe other ships won't offer cabin service for MDR dinner.

We were in a "steerage" cabin and that's why we were skeptical at first and asked at the front desk. When the man didn't seem to know, I called Room Service and the lady confirmed that we could do it.

Nice to know. Wouldn't hurt to ask on the other ships

We were on the Grand recently. The service was mostly phenomenal.

One main princess secret is to keep checking the price of your cruise! If it goes down phone or get TA to do it to get reduced fare. It's not done automatically. We have saved nearly £1000 on our September cruises.

On Carnival they only lower your price under very a specific booking category and only before final payment. Does Princess impose these or other requirements for getting your fare lowered?

I have been reading about the military benefit. My Dad was in the National Guard for 2 years. Would that count towards it? We never asked for anything on our Carnival cruises but if he's eligible, we should look into it. I'm sure that he doesn't know where any discharge information is after all these years but I guess we could call the VA to get the info needed. I don't want to call and go through all that to get a number if it won't count because all he was in was the National Guard. Has anyone else in the Nat'l Guard received the discount?

I have been reading about the military benefit. My Dad was in the National Guard for 2 years. Would that count towards it? We never asked for anything on our Carnival cruises but if he's eligible, we should look into it. I'm sure that he doesn't know where any discharge information is after all these years but I guess we could call the VA to get the info needed. I don't want to call and go through all that to get a number if it won't count because all he was in was the National Guard. Has anyone else in the Nat'l Guard received the discount?

The military credit program is only on Princess & not on Carnival.

You can read the form from this link but unless he was on active duty for 2 years or spent 6 months in an active war zone he is not eligible.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Military_Personnel_Benefit_US.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Astro Flyer

My husband was national guard never activated but was in for a total of six years and he getsvthe benefit. You do need discharge papers

sent from my Samsung Tablet

My husband was national guard never activated but was in for a total of six years and he getsvthe benefit. You do need discharge papers

sent from my Samsung Tablet

I wasn't aware that "serving a minimum of 2 years" meant reserve duty without being on active duty for 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone. I'm happy that he gets it for his service & just didn't know it qualified...good to know. :)

"Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone , or an educational discharge if within 90 days of their normal separation date in any of the applicable service divisions listed above".

Edited by Astro Flyer

I wasn't aware that "serving a minimum of 2 years" meant reserve duty without being on active duty for 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone. I'm happy that he gets it for his service & just didn't know it qualified...good to know. :)

"Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone , or an educational discharge if within 90 days of their normal separation date in any of the applicable service divisions listed above".

I think because National Guard can be deployed at any time, their service is recognized. My husband was in the National Guard 6 years and was activated twice, both for weather, they patrolled to prevent looting. Princess has always given us military credit as he has a DD 214 and I faxed it in. It is on file with Princess and we have never had to ask for it again, it is automatically given with every cruise we take!

Dad can apply online for a copy of his DD214. Once it is faxed to Princess it will remain on file so he does not have to fax it in for every cruise.

The mini-bar you receive for being Elite or a Suite passenger can be exchanged for two Coffee Cards.

Call Room Service to have this done. Don't drink any of the items, even a water, as they will need the entire setup in exchange.

So if we are both elite and both send back our bar setup, we will each get one coffee card??