Dancing Waiters in Dining Room

myvot

I have been on 14 Carnival cruises, and love love love the singing/ dancing waiters!!! I must say I was so disappointed when we sailed on the Dream in January, they only did it three three times on a 7 day. And I always tear up like a big baby ( and I am 53) when they sing the last night ( leaving the fun ship):(

It is a Carnival thing, a lot of people hate it, but I guess more like it or they would not do it. The saddest comment I read was from a guy who said it was the highlight of his cruise. I mean, what a humdrum cruise he must have had !

I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, HATE IT!

I hate it when waiters sing happy birthday in land based restaurants too. I personally think it cheapens the dining experience. you'll never see them sing and dance in the steakhouse for just that reason.

By the way, Royal Caribbean waiters dance too, but thankfully it's only once or maybe twice per voyage, except at Johnny Rockets burger place where they dance every 30 minutes!

Did I mention I hate it?

After seven cruises, I neither love it or hate it. It also depends on my mood at dinner time, and how the dining staff service and friendliness has been up to that point.

I do get tired of the same songs, though. That's amore, leaving on a fun ship, etc. And not a fan of the new song "gangnam style" either

I'm not a big fan but as I look around and see 100 people clapping or smiling I really want to know how that's tacky? Please get over yourself and hire your own boat and staff where smiles are not permitted! . It's 5 minutes of your life and mine. Carry on......

Most people seem to enjoy it, or they are indifferent. In 13 cruises, I have only seen one grumpy couple that did not enjoy it. Everyone else seems to enjoy it, and many of us get up and join them. I love to join in on the fun. If we are enjoying it, the waiters are enjoying it. It's only a bummer for them if we are being grumps about it. Don't feel embarrassed for them. Many of them find it to be a welcome relief. And for the record, because someone will say it, I do not have scientifically researched evidence to back that up. I only have my experiences with what I've seen from my waiters and people around me.

I don't need sophistication & dignity. I like seeing that those that are serving me can also have some fun. And I am so glad that they do not have Baked Alaska on fire on their heads. That would scare me to death! I wouldn't like that at all. I'm afraid of fire. Just bring me the Baked Alaska already finished.

:D Too funny above!

Thing is ... it seems lots of folks actually do like it.

LuLu

~~~~

I guess that's just one of the reasons the Carnival slogan is "The Fun Ships" :D

An extreme amount of people like it. That's why they've beeen doing it at least 25 years.

Yes, there are some prunes that don't like it, as they would rather spend those 3 to 4 minutes staring at the walls while most everyone is up and getting into it.

I even stil enjoy watching old videos of the Cherries Jubilee and Baked Alaska, the dancing origin. And the sad O Solo Mio on the last night.

I really enjoy the dancing waiters. Yes, some of the waitstaff decide not to take part in the dancing--they will either disappear during that time or they will continue to do their jobs as discretely as they can. I was disappointed in that even the dancing waiters didn't seem to do this every night on the Fascination any more. For the most part, the wait staff that we've had always seemed to enjoy this with a couple of exceptions, and have even gotten my wife and I up to join them.

I have been on 14 Carnival cruises, and love love love the singing/ dancing waiters!!! I must say I was so disappointed when we sailed on the Dream in January, they only did it three three times on a 7 day. And I always tear up like a big baby ( and I am 53) when they sing the last night ( leaving the fun ship):(

24 cruises and I still love it! I don't tear up, but it does feel a little emotional.. I did tear up on one cruise... It was during 9/11 when our country was attacked by the terrorists. The maitre d said "we represent 47 different countries, but tonight we are all Americans" with tears and a cracking voice. then the waiters paraded out with the American flags and sang God Bless America... Everyone stood up and sang with them, many crying. So emotional but yet such a warm feeling for all of us. It is things like this that make me love Carnival. This is one night I will never forget... ever....

We are one of those who dislike it as well. And you can tell by the faces many of the waiters dislike it as well. Well, no one said you have to like your job, that's why it's called a job.

Dancing waiters often lead to a looooong meal being loooonger...

This is just one of the reasons we have given up the MDR for the buffet during our cruises.

As always: to each their own.

I can't wait. I always look forward to having my waiter do his version of "bump and grind" next to my table while my dinner or my warm dessert is getting cold or cold dessert is melting. It goes particularly well with the fine dining experience of those of us who order beans and franks and chicken nuggets. It's about time they started playing 50Cent and Biggie Smalls gangsta rap too. I mean - Hey, I paid for my cruise and it's about time they cranked this up a notch. I thought this was a party ship. There is music and dancing everywhere else on the ship so why not in a dining room while you're having dinner? Come on people. Lighten up and have some fun. Shake that bootie.

Cheers!

Nothing says "Five Star Dining" like your waitstaff getting up on tables and dancing around.

Nothing about Carnival is 5 star anything.

But it is still a great product, a decent dining experience, and a fun cruise.

You want 5 star? Try Seaborn or Regent.

I guess that's just one of the reasons the Carnival slogan is "The Fun Ships" :D

Exactly! I mean after you've been on a few cruises, you're a little over the whole thing. But it's still fun and by the time they do it I'm usually full and finished a glass or two of wine. At that point, everything is all good!:p I even joined the conga line once!

Nothing says "Five Star Dining" like your waitstaff getting up on tables and dancing around.

Oh please. For one thing, they aren't standing on tables. And the dining is just fine. Geesh.

I agree with those who say they get a little choked up on the last night when they sing. I always try to keep it in. Glad to see I'm not the only one that just wants to reach out and hug someone on the last night. :D

They usually do it during desert time of the main dining times (between 6:15-6:30 for early dining). I skipped it so I could get to the comedy show, but as I was passing the back MDR I could hear them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We tended to see it on the hours (7p mostly). We don't mind it but it seems a lot of the wait staff themselves do :( Not sure why they make them do it. It's great when you have the folks really getting into it though!

I've been on 12 Carnival cruises and NONE of the wait staff have EVER expressed any dissatisfaction with the singing and dancing. Infact they seem to really enjoy it. One of the Waiters, a girl, sang at a couple of the dinners on my last cruise. When I told her what a great job she did she told me that she LOVES to sing for the guests and hopes for a job with the entertainment department singing on a more regular basis.

I am not picking on you, djcass. I realize you put a funny face after your comment. However, a number of other posters expressed this sentiment in all seriousness.

I suppose their idea is that if hairy chest contests at the pool and singing waiters in MDR are not your thing, then you are incapable of having fun. Otherwise Carnival is the ship line for you. (I am not sure Carnival would agree with that sentiment, however). What is shocking for me is that I have traveled all over the world and been in many environments which I thoroughly enjoyed -- and really thought I was having fun -- only now to discover that apparently I was wrong since I am incapable of having fun.

It is sad that most of these posters grew up in a country which prides itself in accepting diversity, and yet, if you do not find their particular version of entertainment fun, then there is something wrong with you.

Hey, if a Beethoven quartet or an Elvis impersonation contest is the highlight of your evening's entertainment, then I say "Bully for you." And if you would hate a Beethoven quartet or an Elvis impersonation contest, then I would say "likewise." De gustibus non est disputandum.

I suppose their idea is that if hairy chest contests at the pool and singing waiters in MDR are not your thing, then you are incapable of having fun.

Well, now I'm confused. I've never attended a hairy chest contest (though I have, sadly, seen videos of them) and never want to. So I guess I'm incapable of having fun. BUT, I enjoy the singing/dancing waiters, so maybe I'm capable of having a small amount of fun? I don't know what to do with my memories of previous cruises--maybe I had 50% of the fun I thought I had. :D

24 cruises and I still love it! I don't tear up, but it does feel a little emotional.. I did tear up on one cruise... It was during 9/11 when our country was attacked by the terrorists. The maitre d said "we represent 47 different countries, but tonight we are all Americans" with tears and a cracking voice. then the waiters paraded out with the American flags and sang God Bless America... Everyone stood up and sang with them, many crying. So emotional but yet such a warm feeling for all of us. It is things like this that make me love Carnival. This is one night I will never forget... ever....[/quote

I would have been one of many crying, this just gave me goosebumps

Archived