Freedom cabin temperature too warm

is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?

• 76 is too warm
    • 76 is acceptable

Is unacceptable to this washingtonian. No reason that they cannot cool the room to atleast that in my view :)

Heck this time of year that is a high and if hotter we sleep with the widows open. Just sayin....

Neither choice in the poll was good for us. We live in Texas. In the winter we keep the house at 72 when the heat is on (for about 5 minutes). But with our summers in the mid 90's to 100"s we keep the thermostat at 79 or 80. The AC will only cool to 20 degrees less than the outside temperature without straining, so when it is 100 we feel nice and cool at 80.

We will probably get into a battle of the thermostat with the steward as we keep it in the red zone usually. The steward turns it as cold as possible. We prefer it to be about 78 in the cabin. At 76 I am sleeping under the duvet wearing the bathrobe.

This is almost exactly how we keep our house in Texas. 70 in the (brief) winter - if I get cold, just add layers. Summertime, AC is never set under 78, usually stays about 78-80 in our house. We do keep the fans running, and we do drop the temp when we have visitors, but it's close to perfect for us - and too much lower would kill our electric bill, and AC units, in the Texas summer.

We've never had a problem with a warm cabin, knock on wood, but we have a pretty high tolerance for indoor temps - what is fine for us is very warm to others.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One thing we learned on our first cruise with a balcony is that you have to keep the drapes closed during the day to keep your cabin cooler. And not just the sheers either. The heavier ones have to be closed too. You have to remember that most of that wall is glass which radiates heat.

We tried that, but we would leave our room in the AM, come back & the steward would open the heavy drapes, but would close the shears. When you're off the ship all day on port days and those drapes are open, it gets really toasty.

I guess it all boils down to where you are from and what you are used to.

We once went to Disney World in January the temps were in the 50s.

I found it very amusing that the people operating the rides had heavy winter coats on and gloves. Lol

Bill

Neither choice in the poll was good for us. We live in Texas. In the winter we keep the house at 72 when the heat is on (for about 5 minutes). But with our summers in the mid 90's to 100"s we keep the thermostat at 79 or 80. The AC will only cool to 20 degrees less than the outside temperature without straining, so when it is 100 we feel nice and cool at 80.

We will probably get into a battle of the thermostat with the steward as we keep it in the red zone usually. The steward turns it as cold as possible. We prefer it to be about 78 in the cabin. At 76 I am sleeping under the duvet wearing the bathrobe.

Same here!

I live in Florida.

I must admit though...now that I am carrying extra weight- it is harder to deal with temps in the high 80's! I wish I could sweat off my extra fluff!

When you're off the ship all day on port days and those drapes are open, it gets really toasty.

I know, isn't that wonderful.

But sometimes, we are on the wrong side and get too much shade, sooo, when we get back, we open the balcony door to let the warm air in.

72 would be perfect to me. 76 is acceptable. If cabin temperature mattered that much, I would bring a small fan, or ask for a fan. I give the steward a good tip on the second or third day, so I suspect I'd have a fan easily enough.

ALSO, I have always found the cabin to be a little too cool. Same goes for many of the other indoor areas of the ship. I'm a northerner who hates overly-cranked air conditioning.

I know, isn't that wonderful.

But sometimes, we are on the wrong side and get too much shade, sooo, when we get back, we open the balcony door to let the warm air in.

Agree .... Sometimes too chilly for me!

LuLu

~~~~

We had the exact same problem on the Freedom a few weeks ago. It was awful - we complained several times and finally ended up with a fan. If it wasn't for that fan, we would have roasted all week.

I've been on two other Carnival ships and never had issues with the room temp...

In November of 2010 we had an OV on the main deck, and it was stuffy all week! Not unbearable, but not real comfortable for sleeping under the sheets and comforter! I have been on the Ecstacy and Elation and those cabins where comfortable! I had A balcony on the destiny last June and that room could have been a meat locker it was so cold! :) I would wake in the morning to grab pictures pulling into port, and my lens would be a foggy mess for 20 minutes till it warmed up! I like to sleep in a cool to cold room because I find several layers of sheets, quilts and comforters.... well I find them comforting! :)

We just returned from the 8 day southern Caribbean, on the Freedom, deck 10 and our cabin stayed way too warm. we had guest services check it twice, once it was 75.3, not sure of the 2nd reading and this was early morning, it got warmer as the day progressed.Carnival said anything 76 degrees or lower is within Carnival standards. NOT MINE!! This is way too warm for me. Has anyone else experienced this?:mad:

Yes, I have experienced this. Carnival is not cooling cabins like they used to to save money on energy costs. I have been told the same thing that you were, and gone through the same thing about trying to get the cabin cooled. I'm not happy about it either. I cruise with my travel fan now.

The cool (temp) cabins I have found to be Fantasy class.

Good to know, we'll stay away from the Fantasy class.

We do not like cool temperatures.

Thats why we cruise the caribbean, nice warm temps.

Temps below 72 are much too cool, 78 - 88 are wonderful.

Good to know, we'll stay away from the Fantasy class.

We do not like cool temperatures.

Thats why we cruise the caribbean, nice warm temps.

Temps below 72 are much too cool, 78 - 88 are wonderful.

That's why we cruise the Caribbean as well, we like warmer temps, OUTSIDE! When I am paying that much for a cabin, I should be able to regulate the temperature to suit me.

Cabin temperature is a personal preference and you should be able to adjust it to suit you, not have to be uncomfortable due to company standards. If 76 is company standards, why are most of the common area freezing? Lets make the temperature 76 ship wide, including the captains cabin, lobby, all the lounges, etc.

This is good news for me, I prefer it warmer. I typically have to take a sweatshirt with me everywhere during the summer because most places are overly air conditioned and I get so cold so easily.

I grew up without AC in my house and we were just fine.

~Katy

I went with 76 is acceptable, but honestly, I'd like it a little warmer. We are always freezing on the ships!

My office is 78 right now and I'm wearing a fleece and still very cold (I'm in capris not pants) so it's possible I need a third option of "76 is too cold".

I keep my house at 82 in the summer, and wish I could get my office that warm today!

I went with 76 is acceptable, but honestly, I'd like it a little warmer. We are always freezing on the ships!

My office is 78 right now and I'm wearing a fleece and still very cold (I'm in capris not pants) so it's possible I need a third option of "76 is too cold".

I keep my house at 82 in the summer, and wish I could get my office that warm today!

You and I are in agreement.

I didn't answer the poll, because it is slanted to "cold is better". I too had said it is missing the correct answer.

Clarify something: Are you saying the A/C would not go lower than 76 in your room?

Who are you asking?

I didn't see anyone say the A/C would not go lower than 76. Guess I missed that one.

We only cruise the caribbean. And....

EVERY ship we have been on, the temp in the stateroom has ALWAYS been well below 76. Turning up the thermostat is one of the first things we do.

Who are you asking?

I didn't see anyone say the A/C would not go lower than 76. Guess I missed that one.

We only cruise the caribbean. And....

EVERY ship we have been on, the temp in the stateroom has ALWAYS been well below 76. Turning up the thermostat is one of the first things we do.

In the original post he said the room would not get cooler than 76. Can't you change the temp of the rooms on the Freedom? I sure hope you can because we're sailing her in September!!!!!

In the original post he said the room would not get cooler than 76. Can't you change the temp of the rooms on the Freedom? I sure hope you can because we're sailing her in September!!!!!

Yes that is correct. In some cabins the rooms are very warm even with the thermostat on the coldest setting.

I was in an inside cabin so there was no sunlight coming through the window to warm the room either.

Had to get a fan from cabin steward to be able to sleep.

Carnivals maintenance team came twice to my room and said nothing wrong, it is within the limits CCL sets.

Bill

People are missing the point.

The tempurature itself is not the problem. But the inability to lower the temperature is absolutely UNacceptable.

That doesn't seem to be the point of -this- thread. The question being asked in the poll is specifically about the temperature being the problem. They asked "is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?" They did not ask "Should Carnival make sure guests can lower the cabin temp past 76 degrees."

The OP did not set up a poll about the inability to change the temperature, though I agree with you- that it is unacceptable, but not the subject of the thread.

Archived