New Viking Ocean Line

NewLondon,

How can there be reviews of the food on a ship that will not debut for two more years? I would count the reviews of their river cruises as they will surely have a whole different culinary experience.

IMHO, Regent's food is nothing out of the ordinary. There are some things they do well. The white tablecloth breakfast room service is a nice touch. We definitely don't sail Regent for the food.

Someone mentioned having a drink before and after dinner, along with a bottle of wine with dinner. I know that is getting your money's worth, but how do you tour the following day?

Hi TC,

Quick response to your inquiry: wripro: Would love to hear what things that the "concept" has that Regent doesn't.

As I wrote above, for us, and perhaps many others, our cruise focus is visiting the ports. Viking's concept is to put more focus on the destination and less on the ship, I believe. They intend to spend a longer time in port than the average current European cruises do (they claim that they want to spend 12 hours in port). Also, they intend to have three overnights on every cruise. I would think that this would especially appeal to those who visit ports in small groups or independently as there will more time to arrange to do more things on shore. And one would not have to get moving really early in the morning every day in order to do a good deal of sightseeing.

The ship will be all veranda; it looks like the interior design will be understated, and while the standard cabins are a little smaller than Voyager, they are probably going to be large enough for a very port intensive itinerary.

If the service and food are good, why would those who want to spend more time visiting the port not consider this product.

We are booked on Regent this year, and I know we will have a great time, but if Viking were to come in with some good Business Airfare prices from HNL, we would consider.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Hi TC,

Quick response to your inquiry: wripro: Would love to hear what things that the "concept" has that Regent doesn't.

As I wrote above, for us, and perhaps many others, our cruise focus is visiting the ports. Viking's concept is to put more focus on the destination and less on the ship, I believe. They intend to spend a longer time in port than the average current European cruises do (they claim that they want to spend 12 hours in port). Also, they intend to have three overnights on every cruise. I would think that this would especially appeal to those who visit ports in small groups or independently as there will more time to arrange to do more things on shore. And one would not have to get moving really early in the morning every day in order to do a good deal of sightseeing.

The ship will be all veranda; it looks like the interior design will be understated, and while the standard cabins are a little smaller than Voyager, they are probably going to be large enough for a very port intensive itinerary.

If the service and food are good, why would those who want to spend more time visiting the port not consider this product.

We are booked on Regent this year, and I know we will have a great time, but if Viking were to come in with some good Business Airfare prices from HNL, we would consider.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Hi HanaleiSailor,

For people who want port intensive cruises, it may make sense. Viking still has to prove that its' service and food are worthy of their prices. This could possibly take some time. As you may recall, when Apollo purchased Regent 5 years ago, it took a good year before they understood what their customers wanted. Once they did, it was fine. I just don't understand the hoopla over a "concept". IMO, there are six excellent luxury and premium cruise lines (Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania and Azamara). I would not blindly put my money into an unknown product. Besides, I like sea days;)

LindaM: Truly trying to understand why you want to sail Regent again. You didn't care for the several things on your Navigator cruise. Now you post that there is nothing special about Regent's food.

In any case, as you know, I made the statement about cocktails and a bottle of wine. One thing I learned early on when cruising Regent is that we eat so darn much food that the alcohol does not have the typical effect on my system. When we have early excursions, we simply go to bed by 11:00 p.m. and get up for the excursion. We have never missed or were late to anything we were booked on.

For us, the most disappointing part of this thread is that Regent customers seem to be the only luxury cruise line customers that show any interest in Viking.:mad:

Tc2

Hi TC,

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

The CEO of Viking stated they do not want to nickel and dime if so why CHARGE for espresso coffee, its part of the beverage package !!!!!!!!!!

The CEO of Viking stated they do not want to nickel and dime if so why CHARGE for espresso coffee, its part of the beverage package !!!!!!!!!!

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you say that espresso coffee is or is not included?

I sailed on the Viking Sun/Helvitca about 2 years ago.

I got off a Princess Ship Saturday.

Comparing the two, Princess gives you what you expect. Viking doesn't. We'd never sail with them again. Ever. Food was mediocre at best. Cabins were decent but we upgraded to the top tier. Almost nothing else was as expected and the excursions were terrible. Think Shopping Excursions to their privately owned Cuckoo Clock Store where Black Forest Cake for $7.95 Euro for a piece. We werer held hostage there. Two hour bus ride on a full bus for that experience. No thanks. We have many stories of the cruise we can tell but it won't matter. We would not go.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you say that espresso coffee is or is not included?

New Viking Oceans forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=875

The Viking Star has appealed to numerous Regent & Silversea CC friends (personally know at least six couples (3 couples who were on the Voyager in December w/us) we have sailed with on Regent/Silversea have booked the VS in the last two days). As Wripro so often says (paraphrasing), "you're not going to go wrong your your cruise line of choice--it's great to have choices."

Viking Star highlights: are a full 360 wrap around promenade deck (can't wait to jog/walk..tho location is deck2); two swimming pools of which one can be glass covered and the 2nd aft pool is an infinity pool; a two deck explorer (think Observation) lounge; most al fresco dining at sea, large showers in all cabins; and the owner says, "the finest cuisine on board will be in the main dining room and not the speciality restaurants. Also, the spa has a "snow grotto" where you can adjust the volume of snow flakes ( a few to a blizzard).

HanaleiSailor, concur (our one niggle) is gratuities (about $32 a day), tho a good TA will include them. VS offers a Silver spirit beverage package (top shelf liquor, champagne, expresso coffess, mineral water, et. al for just $20 a day during the maiden season),

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copied from prev post

Hi HanaleiSailor,

For people who want port intensive cruises, it may make sense. Viking still has to prove that its' service and food are worthy of their prices. This could possibly take some time. As you may recall, when Apollo purchased Regent 5 years ago, it took a good year before they understood what their customers wanted. Once they did, it was fine. I just don't understand the hoopla over a "concept". IMO, there are six excellent luxury and premium cruise lines (Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania and Azamara). I would not blindly put my money into an unknown product. Besides, I like sea days;)

LindaM: Truly trying to understand why you want to sail Regent again. You didn't care for the several things on your Navigator cruise. Now you post that there is nothing special about Regent's food.

In any case, as you know, I made the statement about cocktails and a bottle of wine. One thing I learned early on when cruising Regent is that we eat so darn much food that the alcohol does not have the typical effect on my system. When we have early excursions, we simply go to bed by 11:00 p.m. and get up for the excursion. We have never missed or were late to anything we were booked on.

For us, the most disappointing part of this thread is that Regent customers seem to be the only luxury cruise line customers that show any interest in Viking.:mad:

Tc2

TC,

I did not say there was anything wrong with the food. It was food---did not knock my socks off!! I had no complaints (except for the marsala in Sete Mare). As long as the food isn't bad (like our experience on Celebrity), I don't care!! I do not want to gain weight on a cruise---like I did on Princess. I make a serious effort to only have a taste of starches and desserts!

BTW, the prices were raised on my favorite HAL ship, because it is special---even the food is better than on the other HAL ships. Here's an example....a 14 day we are taking from Amsterdam to Barcelona--similar to a Regent itinerary. For a cabin the size of a basic on Regent, the price is 8349. (I believe the Regent basic price was 10,999.) That is without tips, shore excursions and drinks, and most importantly---air. DH said we now need to look at Regent more seriously in Europe, as it probably is the better deal!! ( I'm sure the unlimited Glenfidich is also affecting his opinion.)

I have told you so many times we love Navigator. We just don't think the service or the food is what I would expect from a luxury line. I think the problem is, I am comparing it to a ship that is not the typical mainstream ship. I have higher expectations than a person who just came to Regent from a mainstream experience. You cannot deny that I am the only one who has expressed the same opinion. When we try Regent in Europe, of course you will know my opinion of those ships. I am entitled to my opinion---please give me that right!!

You've got to quit taking this so personally!! I've found on most boards, there are those who say everything is wonderful and perfect, and others who are more realistic.

TC,

I have told you so many times we love Navigator. We just don't think the service or the food is what I would expect from a luxury line. I think the problem is, I am comparing it to a ship that is not the typical mainstream ship. I have higher expectations than a person who just came to Regent from a mainstream experience. You cannot deny that I am the only one who has expressed the same opinion. When we try Regent in Europe, of course you will know my opinion of those ships. I am entitled to my opinion---please give me that right!!

You've got to quit taking this so personally!! I've found on most boards, there are those who say everything is wonderful and perfect, and others who are more realistic.

You certainly have the right to your opinion. I have simply questioned why you would go on a cruise line again when you "don't think the service or the food is what I would expect from a luxury line". I've also suggested going on another ship (which you are obviously going to do)

Let's get on to other things. We have rehashed this over and over. If you want to sail on Regent -- go for it.

Wripro, I was wondering when someone would ask that question. The food issue imo is a question of being consistent. Tbh because of the many negative reviews I have never cruised on Viking, but, unless the comments are all paid for by competitors there are enough negative vibes to keep me away.

Tauck, on the other hand gets generally favorable reviews for their whole package. I have sailed on Tauck and concur with the evaluations.

There is no way to know what will be the experience on a Viking ocean ship, I only know I won't pay to find out.

Newlondon/Bill - I'm with you on this one. Especially with respect to a brand new ship and concept - for a company that has made it's "bread and butter" (no pun intended) from being the "McDonald's" of European River Cruising. As they say, when you set a "low bar", you're never disappointed.

I don't have that much disposable/discretionary income that I can afford to "experiment" and "take a chance" and say, "well, if this cruise was a bust - there's always the next one"! I treat each cruise as if it's the only/last one I'm ever going to be able to enjoy/afford.

I went on my first river cruise (Avalon - "Burger King") about a year ago. The food was.....okay.....but certainly not as regal or elegant as depicted in their advertising literature - which I would characterize as borderline "false". Mary (my DW) and I can produce a "better" meal in our own kitchen, and dine under far more elegant "ambience" than what I was eating and experiencing on the river boat...and for a lot less money! In fact the whole dining experience on that river cruise was not something I looked forward to each day. But the small size of the boat/s and kitchen prep areas, the large crowds (relative to the size of the "chow hall", I mean dining room), and the mad rush when the doors swung open and all 150 passengers rushed in to grab the available seats is something that comes close to Golden Corral - In my opinion. Certainly not "elegant cruising". And that's just the way it seemed to me on that river cruise. Fortunately, Regent is many levels above that (even with the long waits in CR :o)

When looking at the menu on Avalon each night, I found myself first "eliminating" the things that really didn't seem/sound very good at all (and I am by no means a picky eater), and then looking at the remaining 1 or 2 entre's that I could "live with". By the 5th night, it was all tasting and looking like "the same thing".

I wound up asking myself the question - why am I doing this and spending this kind of money? For no more than two-thirds the cost, I could have rented a car, driven alongside the Rhine, Main, and Danube rivers. Stayed in 4-5 star hotels each night, seen all the little towns, villages, and cathedrals along the way, and could have probably eaten better (or at least as well) in local/different bistros, cafe's, and formal restaurants each night!

We paid nearly $10K a piece (including air fares) for that river experience (in a "Royal Suite" of 258 sq ft) and I think it would have been just about the same price (for the largest "suite" onboard a Viking Cruise). I haven't put the river cruise thing out of my mind, but next time, It has to be at least a "Tauck", or perhaps a "Scenic", or maybe an "AMA". Still haven't decided yet. In the meantime, I'll stick with Regent and pay no more than what the river cruises are charging. And the river cruises will cost you a lot extra for things like 24/7 "included" beverages.

I'll be interested in getting the reviews back from "Wes" and the others after taking their maiden voyage on Viking Star. I'm selfishly willing to let Wes use "his dollars" first and I'll let him tell me how it was - compared to Regent. :p Best Regards.

That is a good way to put it. Let this very small group of luxury cruise passengers spend their money on this "concept". I am curious about two things:

1. How many of this small group will cancel?

2. The reviews of these brave, trusting souls.

We have been on Viking once. On the Danube. And a long time ago so things may have changed. But I would not try Viking again whether on a river or on the sea! The food was OK - no more than that. The "free" wine was barely drinkable. We paid for coffee and tea, even at "tea time". And the cabins - well, it was a river boat! - were small. The worst thing was they messed up our reservation and in spite of the fact that we had paid for a nice cabin on a larger and newer boat we were stuck on the old one. Not for long though because I told them either they move us to the boat we had booked or we would leave and go home. The next day (at Melk) we were transferred.

Our other river cruise was on Deilmann and it was like night and day. Really "tip top" in every way. But sadly they have gone out of the river cruise business...

Unless Viking has learnt some important lessons about running its business I doubt they will have a lot of repeat guests on their ocean cruises.

Pingpong1, Well said. I'm more than willing to let Wes be a guineamule. I would say, however, that he is an eternal optimist so we may not get the whole story. Btw you might want to try Uniworld, it's not Tauck but is close.

Jerry, Right on:D

I am certainly not here to defend Viking and I also would never sail with them until they have completed enough voyages with positive feedback to convince me they are worth a try. However I think they will be approaching ocean cruising entirely differently than river cruising, with a greater emphasis on food and service. They have to if they hope to compete with Oceania and Azamara and to attract passengers from the luxury lines. The prices are certainly not low enough to draw people away from mass market lines. The one thing I give them credit for so far is the ship design and the package of included amenities.

Wripro, You are absolutely right about the difference between river and ocean cruising. But, unless you wish to step down why would a Regent, Silversea or Crystal cruiser want to change. I'm not even sure they will compete with Oceania.

newelondon,

My most frequent line is Seabourn which I love. The first time I tired oceania people asked me the same thing. I went with different expectations and was highly surprised and delighted. If I hear enough good feedback about Viking I would be willing to give them a shot too but ONLY if that feedback is positive.

I agree, newlondon and I would never consider them for a river cruise. But as I have said I expect them to manage ocean cruising very differently, If they do not, I expect to see a for sale sign on their ship within a couple of years.

newelondon,

My most frequent line is Seabourn which I love. The first time I tired oceania people asked me the same thing. I went with different expectations and was highly surprised and delighted. If I hear enough good feedback about Viking I would be willing to give them a shot too but ONLY if that feedback is positive.

I feel the same way.

They are a mass-market river cruise line delivering a very mediocre product to Middle America so why should their Ocean vessel be any different.

Only time will tell but I'm afraid a beautiful ship may not be enough to deliver a high class product. Wait and see! :confused:

Archived