My stock is down over 400.00

sassy~one

Not exactly true.

If you are buying as an investment, clearly RCL is the better buy at this point.

At this point? - Maybe, but definitely not for the long term.

CCL is overall the better investment.

One major reason for that would be the financial standing and stability of the company, and also it's proven track record of performance in the past along with its proven ability to rebound from past incidents and brief poor stock performance.

At this point? - Maybe, but definitely not for the long term.

CCL is overall the better investment.

One major reason for that would be the financial standing and stability of the company, and also it's proven track record of performance in the past along with its proven ability to rebound from past incidents and brief poor stock performance.

General Motors was a stable company at one time. I would not put my money in any cruise line to get a cheap OBC. Much better ways to invest ones money.

General Motors was a stable company at one time... Much better ways to invest ones money.

GM is currently a stable company.

Carnival is not GM. They are two very different companies with a variety of different circumstances and capabilities.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

CCL stock is at $33.02 a share today - Memorial Day - Monday May 26 2013.

In the last 52 weeks it has been as high as $39.95 and and as low as $30.65 per share.

I think that on August 30 2013 the stock will be down in the $24.00 to $25.99 range.

Seems like you would have to cruise at least once a year on a seven day or longer cruise for the OBC to really be worth the investment cost, especially given the low dividends. I dont know that I'd want to tie up $3k+ in investments for this. Now if the stock dropped into the mid-20s, maybe. I don't doubt CCL will continue to be a profitable company, but I'm pretty sure my other investments make me more money.

CCL stock OBC can be combined with other OBCs from TAs and other sources, where RCL you cant combine them. CCL OBCs are for any and all cruises u take with carnival, princess, costa, HAL, seaborne, cunard. so it really pays back.

what OBC can't be combined on RCL?

Most certainly can

You can't talk enough to sell me RCL stock. I have studied both and made my decisions based on statistics and performance. OBC is another big factor for me, and I have no desire to sail RCL or Celebrity.

I could pick the date I bought CCL at $30, and based on your posting, Carnival has greatly outperformed RCL. You also didn't mention that RCL pays less than half the dividends CCL pays plus RCL restricts the use of OBC.

It would be nearly impossible for me to lose money on CCL stock. I have received over 30 percent of my investment back in OBC and dividends.

Thanks for the offer of help, but I respectfully decline !! Maybe the Royal fans on the other board would be interested in your offer.

What performance is that???? Neither have done squat in the 5 yr charts I looked at. Wouldn't want either of them.

CCL's dividend price is higher than normal percentage wise because the stock is way down. If it was 40 again the dividend would be no 3%

Dying to know what OBC you think RCL restricts?

What performance is that???? Neither have done squat in the 5 yr charts I looked at. Wouldn't want either of them.

CCL's dividend price is higher than normal percentage wise because the stock is way down. If it was 40 again the dividend would be no 3%

Dying to know what OBC you think RCL restricts?

If you have other information to refute this, please post it for all to see.

Combinability?Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off" promotions, certain reduced rate offers and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.com and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

I watched NCL go public at $18 and let people here talk me out of buying it when it went public. Ive never been on NCL and listened here, and was a chicken I admit. bad decision. It sure has done well.

Its about doubled since then... shows not to listen to the carnival cheerleadrs who dont like other cruiseline stocks.

Of course RCL stock has also outperformed CCL in the same period. We all saw it at $5 and some on this board said stay away it might go to $0. I remember who said it as a matter of fact.

Always trust your own judgement and ignore any advice from cheerleaders who only like one cruiseline.

I agree with you !!! To some, RCL may be a better investment solely because of the OBC, but not for me.

I also didn't buy NCL stock, but have no regrets because I like to cruise without flying when possible, and NCL doesn't offer cruises from So Cal at this time.

I feel the investment advice so freely dispensed on this board is well worth the price we pay for it. No more --- No less !!!:D;)

After watching so many of my retirement accounts tank in the past decade, I had no qualms about switching around some of my accounts to purchase CCL.

They have done as well, if not better, than many of them. And the shareholder credit is significant. The share price is lower now, but it's been far lower in the past. With the size of carnival corporation and their hold on the market I don't see this company tanking. Of course there are no guarantees - but they have a significant hold on the market. From economy to the more deluxe cruises like Cunard.

I just saw that one of RCs ships caught fire. Hoping everyone is ok. All cruise lines go through bad events - but the media have really had a you know what for carnival.

If you have other information to refute this, please post it for all to see.

Combinability?Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off" promotions, certain reduced rate offers and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.com and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

Ok, let's go about it this way. What Carnival OBC can be combineable that RCL doesn't allow. Shareholder and TA both allow.

If you are bummed about how much CCL stock has dropped, think about this:

The obc is $100, but actually, it is worth more. See, unlike a dividend, it is not taxed.

If you are in a 23% tax bracket, you have to make $123 to come up with $100 for onboard expenses. When I say that, I mean you make $123, uncle sam takes $23 to pay stuff.

But you can only use this OBC OB..to buy highly inflated items, like $7 for a bottle of Bud Light.

If you are going to be on the cruise anyway, most people will make some purchases. Even if you only use it to help pay part of your gratuities it all comes in handy.

But yeah, if you aren't going to cruise with one of the carnival lines then it would make less sense.

CCL stock is at $33.02 a share today - Memorial Day - Monday May 26 2013.

In the last 52 weeks it has been as high as $39.95 and and as low as $30.65 per share.

I think that on August 30 2013 the stock will be down in the $24.00 to $25.99 range.

the stock closed friday at 32.88 from the close I see, and didnt trade today as the market is closed. Maybe you are looking at some after hours quote when shares are thinly traded, but it closed below $33.

I do agree there is risk of CCL falling further. I was already saying chances are it will drop at earnings in June .. now with the fire, people are preparing puts, shorts, selling, whatever floats your trading boat if you trade CCL. The fire will affect RCL and CCL stock me thinks at open. .. but I dont trade CCL just too hard to predict. Its not my trading stock of choice.

I dont know about your $24 to $25 range.. depends on if the Fed keeps pumping so much money into the market... and artificially keeping rates low, so there is no other place to put cash other than the market. people are saying buy on the dips. ..which so far this year has worked.

I find it hard to be short a stock .. I think its not in my nature to be pessimistic .. but it will be interesting to watch how CCL opens in the morning because of the fire.

Japan extended its losses tonight but so far the U.S. market has been immune. U.S. futures are green tonight which might help CCL and RCL at open.

But you can only use this OBC OB..to buy highly inflated items, like $7 for a bottle of Bud Light.

Not necessarily. The paperword said that it can't be used for tips, but we have been able to use it to pay for tips.

Not necessarily. The paperword said that it can't be used for tips, but we have been able to use it to pay for tips.

That's interesting and raises the value on the Obc. In the end we aren't talking about a lot of money $1500-4000 and if it makes you feel like you are getting a deal so be it. Me I won't invest in either directly right now. ( I know some of my mutual funds have shares in both so i have some exposure). I would rather invest in something that will generate lots and lots of capital gains that I can use to pay my onboard credit with :). But this thread was enlightening as I didn't know about the stockholder bonus. One of the few companies doing that anymore. I remember wrigleys gum would send a case of gum, o'charleys would send a coupon for a free meal each quarter, Starbucks would send a gift card, McDonalds sent free item coupons, Disney sent discounts, Samuel Adams sent beer openers, Walmart sent passes for Sams club w/o surcharge, and more I am not remembering I am sure. Not enough to make you buy the stock but they were nice gestures.

Always trust your own judgement and ignore any advice from cheerleaders who only like one cruiseline.

I would never take the advice of anyone on any internet forum. But I also wouldn't take my own advice because I only watch performance and don't know enough to be an analyst. I do however trust and listen to my financial advisor and a couple others who are in the stock market business. They say that if you plan to keep the stock for awhile (at least a couple years) that Carnival is the better buy than rcl because it has a much stronger balance sheet.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Re: Carnival not hitting the Asian Market and then some ...

Correct me if I am wrong as I've been wrong many times!

HAL has Asian itins last I checked. We are actually thinking of doing Singapore -> Hong Kong on a HAL ship, maybe sometime in 2015.

HAL is one of the brands under Carnival PLC and residual profits from HAL vest with CCL PLC.

Now how much net marginal gain would be generated via HAL to the betterment of the bottom line of CCL PLC? I don't have the figures, some of you probably do.

Like one poster on here suggested, to most of us, we are not talking about a HUGE investment in owing 100 shares of CCL, regardless of whether you got in at $10 or $50 per share, in the context of (most) people's portfolio. If securing the OBC is the objective, then get the 100 shares by all means and have some FUN. Up or down, so be it, never mind. Over the years, you win some, you lose some!

Last I've heard, CCL PLC controls roughly 65% of the global passenger cruise industry. There are still a lot of financial maneuvers available within the conglomerate to streamline its global operations and therefor further reduce costs without downgrading the current level of services (which to me is acceptable based on our recent cruise on the Valor. I know some of you would strongly disagree but everything is relative ...).

Cheers!

I was having a discussion with a co-worker this am who is going on a CCL cruise. He thinks his girlfriend owns shares of CCL. Does anyone know if the shareholder of record has to be the primary cruiser or just anyone in the cabin?

Can it get worse?

Hi sassy, I'm in the investment industry so I will not give you any advice on your stock.

But I will offer some general thoughts for you.

1) Except for death and taxes nothing in life (and the stock market) is 100% certain.

2) Why did you buy the stock in the first place, as an investment? If so, consult a professional for advice. For plumbing issues at my house I don't consult my aunt Millie, I get a licensed plumber.

3) If your purchase was more for the OBC, and you plan to cruise for the next five, ten or twenty years, who cares what the market price of the stock is on any given day? Just sit back and enjoy the OBC 'dividend'.

The stock bottomed out at around $15 in early 2009, so yes. I'm still kicking myself for not buying at that point.

And, yes, that is when I bought my 100 shares at $17.06 (3/9/09). Glad I did.

Archived