My stock is down over 400.00

sassy~one

Worse or better just hang onto to it, but I am sure you already know this.

I took a huge loss several years ago when RCL stock dropped and I sold it only to see it go up with a year of selling it. I'm still kicking myself for it.

I think by next year you will be ok. I think it will go down when earnings come out next month, even though Carnival already warned about the missed earnings projections. Some people didnt see the warning last monday perhaps and will react when earnings hit. I saw it was some time in June they report I think.

With missing earnings and negative growth and that makes the pe higher than people thought it was.. and the fact CNBC experts say the whole market could take another step down, its too frothy.

stocks typically go down or dont do well in the summer but come back by fall.

Previous 52 low was $30ish.. could break below this.

I know when it was near the top lately, getting close to 39? .. and people asked if they should buy here, every time I said no, its not safe to buy here, and many told me to shut up, they said, but Ill make the money back by getting OBC on my cruise.. so it doesnt matter if you think its too high.

I did warn people not to buy near the top. It was obviously too high. .. and I kept saying so, though a lot of people didnt want to hear it. At least now its pulled back closer to where it probably should be .. though I do think it could dip again next earnings release before it starts to come back. it might start to come back now.. until earnings hit. I would not buy here myself long as a trader, Id wait for earnings.

I think by next year you will be ok.

Not so sure. The company AGAIN cut guidance and expects a really weak second half of the year. There are problems in Europe and an erosion of consumer confidence in North America.

Price cuts mean lower revenue.

Right now, RCL is a much stronger buy than CCL, which can still go significantly lower, especially if there is a general market correction.

Not so sure. The company AGAIN cut guidance and expects a really weak second half of the year. There are problems in Europe and an erosion of consumer confidence in North America.

Price cuts mean lower revenue.

Right now, RCL is a much stronger buy than CCL, which can still go significantly lower, especially if there is a general market correction.

Sending another ship to Australia where prices are higher. There was something out they want to get into the Asian market.

These kinds of things are why I think they will pull out of this. .. but not immediately. I think when they come in with such weak earnings, the stock should step down again.

I bought years ago when the stock was holding quite high over $40 .. what is normal for a stock does seem to change. Im just holding my 100 shares, but dont expect anything positive for a ways down the road.

But you are right.. looking at it next spring, they could still be recovering, but I think a 2nd ship in Australia helps them with profits.

There was something out they want to get into the Asian market.

Probably not a good idea for Carnival. Part of the Asian market would be driven by locals. Who knows if they would buy into Carnival when RCL already has a presence there.

A smaller part would come from North America and there's another problem. In general, Carnival has a lower economic demographic than RCL. I can't imagine folks used to sailing out of Florida forking over thousands in air fare to sail in Asia.

Doesn't sound like a sound strategy IMHO.

What CCL needs to do is turn around the tanking they have taken in consumer confidence. Unfortunately, that may take years, if ever. Ultimately, they may need to shrink the Carnival brand while rebranding Princess and HA to take up the slack. Meanwhile RCCL is coming out with two spectacular ships and once again stealing the good publicity!

Just remember you are not out any money unless you plan to sell now. Owning stocks is a roller coaster ride and if you go into it knowing this and can invest the money without needed to cash it in you will be better off. We actually made money by owning Carnival stock over the years. We've also purchased Royal stock when it was really low and sold it for quite a profit ;) Actually my dh is the one that watches stocks and buys low and sells high :) I just reap the benefits and the OBC~!

For those that don't know, Carnival's stock is known as whats called a long term investment which means that it's a stock that performs well over time. Keep in mind too that Carnival and to a certain extent the industry are very resilient; so the stock will rebound. Also take into account Carnival's financial strength, which is a major reason why they will be just fine.

My Advice: Hold on to your stock, the value will return, although the stock won't completely rebound until late 2013 or early to mid 2014.

Just curious OP, at what price did you buy the stock??

Me too. Bought at $24.00 and change. As soon as it goes below $30.00 I'm gonna pick up some more.

So many people are saying this that that is why I think the stock might find some support around $29ish short term.

Long term Carnival needs to get their act together.

A smaller part would come from North America and there's another problem. In general, Carnival has a lower economic demographic than RCL. I can't imagine folks used to sailing out of Florida forking over thousands in air fare to sail in Asia.

My TA has a lot of Australians who use him on his forum. A lot of them want more options and would love to go to Asia, which they make sound like its a hop and a jump to get there for them.

I never said that it would be about people from the U.S. flying to Asia. There are lots of other countries out there who would fly out of Asia and want more options and more competition. I think you or someone made this same comment on the thread where Carnival said Asia will be where they will expand their corporate brand. Didnt make sense to me then either that people think moving into Asia has much of anything to do with attracting the U.S. market.

My TA just offered a transpacific cruise.. from vancouver to Japan I think it was on celebrity. I turned it down, the flight home would be a lot.. but it stopped in russia and 3 or 4 places in Japan. sounded awesome to me.

Carnival has opened offices in Singapore. Costa has had presence there for a number of years and the first major in-road will be the deployment of the Sapphire Princess for four months.

There is "speculation" that they may venture into Singapore and Hong Kong, with a Carnival ship if things go well. Singapore has just finished a new cruise terminal and Hong Kong's new terminal will open by the end of the year.

Here is the PR release from May 3.

Carnival Corporation & plc has officially opened its regional office in Singapore. The Singapore office houses the new Carnival Asia unit which was created to oversee the company’s expansion in Asia.

Carnival Asia chairman and CEO Pier Luigi Foschi led a ribbon-cutting ceremony. This was followed by a reception and dinner in the evening on board the Costa Atlantica which made its maiden call to Singapore today. Singapore’s minister (prime minister’s office) and second minister for home affairs and trade & industry, S. Iswaran, was the guest of honor at the event.

Among the more than 300 guests in attendance were Singapore government officials, local dignitaries and VIPs as well as senior representatives from the travel industry such as Christine Duffy, president and CEO of the Cruise Lines International Association.

As part of its expansion strategy for the region, Carnival Corporation & plc brands Costa Cruises and Princess Cruises continue to grow their operations in Asia.

Costa Atlantica, the largest ship in the Costa fleet to be deployed in the region, set sail to Asia for the very first time this week, joining Costa Victoria and more than doubling Costa’s capacity in Asia. Costa Atlantica will set sail from Singapore to Malacca and Penang for three-night journeys, and it will also operate four-night trips to Phuket and Langkawi.

Princess Cruises will be introducing the largest deployment ever by a premium cruise line in the region when it brings Sapphire Princess to Singapore for four months starting November 2014. The itineraries, which vary from three to 11 days, will combine various destinations such as Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Kuala Lumpurand Ko Samui.

For more information on Carnival Corporation & plc..

Carnival has spent millions in the last year and will spend many more millions in the next year. The stock price is reflective of that. No one truly knows how low it will go but I don't believe it will come close to the $20 level unless there are more major issues or a major economic drop.

Take care,

Mike

This might be a stupid question but what OBC do you get for having CCL stock?

I get $50 OBC on a 5 day, on a 7 day I get $100 OBC and on a 15 day I have coming up, $250 OBC, depends on the length of the cruise.

I get a lot more in OBC than I get in dividends from the stock.

Well I bought my shares a couple of months ago when it was low and it went up and it is not around where I bought it, but I get $100 for my cruise in a couple of months so it's good for me. At least for now.

Probably not a good idea for Carnival. Part of the Asian market would be driven by locals. Who knows if they would buy into Carnival when RCL already has a presence there.

What CCL needs to do is turn around the tanking they have taken in consumer confidence. Unfortunately, that may take years, if ever. Ultimately, they may need to shrink the Carnival brand while rebranding Princess and HA to take up the slack. Meanwhile RCCL is coming out with two spectacular ships and once again stealing the good publicity!

You keep making the same mistake over and over and over again. Carnival Cruise Line is NOT Carnival Corporation. I would hardly say that Cunard, HAL and Seabourne chase a low economic demographic.

Carnival & PLC will do fine in Asia, they aren't (currently) sending and Carnival ships there.

I got my shares when it was around $37ish..

I'm happy to have it, as I always wanted to purchase stock in something I use or am passionate about. CCL was a perfect choice for me. We were waiting for it to come down a bit. The timing may not have been the greatest to purchase, but it was a wonderful birthday gift and it was going up and down that entire month. We bought it for long term and cruise 2 times a year.

I have an OBC of $50 for my 2 day CTN (Cruise ToNowhere) on May 31st and $100 OBC for my 8 day cruise out of NYC :). I'm HAPPY!!!

Not so funny part is it started to fall and I was thinking about selling my 200 shares and making 2k! Oh can't do that I want my 350 of OBC this year ;)

So being the smart chap I am after losing 1500 imaginary $$ Ira) I bought more just before the cut off for dividends. It's done this before and still not a bad rating. Trust me had I sold it would of shot up 20 bucks share.

Thought the same with my RCL stock last month when it tanked but climbed about 5 bucks.

However, my sin stocks always do better! Yes, I'm afraid one morning the market might fall and everyone will panic. But that was a year ago.

In the long term CCL will recover but they need to move customers from the CCL boats to their higher profit princess/cunard etc. In the next ten years you will find the baby boomers looking to cruise in larger numbers and I don't see them sailing on the CCL line but rather the more "prestige" brands. That should raise margins and drive stock price up. They also would be wise to expand in Asia where the population is growing more and more affluent. North America has half a billion people while Asia has 8 times as many people approaching 4.5 billion. If they can get cruise penetration rates of 4-5% that would be a huge amount of revenue. However CCL trades at 17 x earnings versus RCL which trades at 11x. I also think the public has a better impression of RCL than CCL but RCL does carry more debt which will make expansion a little harder or may put pressure on the company if interest rates rise sharply.

I think in the next ten years RCL will outperform CCL but CCL will exceed pre-Triumph levels in a year baring any more "triumphs"

Send from my ipad, sorry for any typos/autocorrects I missed.

Right now the stock is about double what I paid for it. This year including next Jan cruise) I will get $450 in OBC from it.

I didn't buy it to make a bunch of money on the stock, just the OBC.

:cool: Yep!! I paid $15.87 back in '08!!:) Should have bought RCL at $5.00!!:rolleyes: Oh well I am doing good on the OBC thing!:D

You keep making the same mistake over and over and over again. Carnival Cruise Line is NOT Carnival Corporation. I would hardly say that Cunard, HAL and Seabourne chase a low economic demographic.

Carnival & PLC will do fine in Asia, they aren't (currently) sending and Carnival ships there.

Certainly I know that the other brands are part of CCL. I factored that in. As a matter of fact I even suggested that CCL might have to diminish the Carnival brand while increasing the Princess and HA brands.

While it is true the other brands seek a higher demographic, you fail to realize that the bulk of the sales are driven by the lower end Carnival product.

Archived