My stock is down over 400.00

sassy~one

In the long term CCL will recover

but they need to move customers from the CCL ships to their higher profit Princess/Cunard etc.

If they want to do that, perhaps Carnival Corporation in Miami

should consider some degree of migration of cruisers' accumulated points status.

In all our nine cruise so far we've never cruised on any ship that's not a owned by Carnival Corp.

but I get zero appreciation for that. :cool:

Two upcoming cruises (see countdowns below) will make that eleven cruises on Carnival Corp. ships.

I'd like to switch to their more-refined Princess Cruises brand

but I'm not about to start at square one again, am I :cool:

Can it get worse?

If it drops it's a good opportunity to buy more. There's no possible way it will stay low. It just took a dip because of those current issues.

I love it when the market drops, my investments just buy low and when it rebounds it goes crazy high.

Can it get worse?

If you haven't sold you haven't lost anything. :D But i know it just sucks especially when your stock drops while overall the stock market is doing so well.

And I think it could get worse. I wouldn't buy just yet.

Although it's down, I'm still ahead. *whew*

Same here. I bought it in 2009 (?) when it was down to low $17.06 so I still have a hefty profit. No plans on selling it as I enjoy the OBC every year when I cruise. The quarterly $25 dividend helps, too.

I got my shares when it was around $37ish..

I bought my first 100 shares for $37.76 (including commission) on 5/22/08. At that time there was a $ .40 quarterly dividend.

I then bought 100 more shares for $17.06 on 3/6/09. By that time, the dividend was long gone. On 3/15/10, the dividend returned at .10/share.

Then I sold my original high priced shares on 11/13/09 for $32.32 after a rebound. I had a $5 + loss per share which I used to offset some profit on my taxes.

In the 8 months between 3/6/09 & 11/13/09, you can see it did rebound so don't give up hope. It will eventually come back.

If you haven't sold you haven't lost anything. :D

Not exactly true.

If you haven't sold but are holding on to a stock at a loss, you have an "unrealized loss."

Also, if you do a personal balance sheet, you would list the value at the current price, not what you paid.

Personally, I think it's a bit unrealistic to say "it's only a losss when you sell it."

What is Carnival stock worth? Exactly what it would trade for today, not the price when purchased.

If you buying in large part for the shareholder credit, that's one thing.

If you are buying as an investment, clearly RCL is the better buy a this point.

Can it get worse?

Time to buy more!!! :D

I've been buying CCL stock bit by bit. I've been buying stock since 11/10 and have paid from 30-44.51 and have 56 shares. I'm slowly getting to the 100 shares and can't wait until I earn my OBC. I just wish I had more money to take advantage of this temporary down turn in CCL stock.

If you haven't sold you haven't lost anything. :D But i know it just sucks especially when your stock drops while overall the stock market is doing so well.

And I think it could get worse. I wouldn't buy just yet.

The stock market has been booming, CCL has been falling. If you think CCL stock is doing bad,I'd hate to think how it would perform when the market has its next pullback.

A couple of questions:

a) how many shares have to be bought before one can get OBC?

b) Can a passenger get the OBC each time they cruise or is their limits?

c) How does one obtain the OBC when booking a cruise?

Thanks

A couple of questions:

Thanks

You need 100 shares.

There is no limit to the number of times you can get the obc.

You mail a copy of your statement to CCL (you'll have to do search to find it) and it is added to your S&S.

Little tip- the obc is limited to the cabin that the shareholder is in. My spouse also owned CCL, we'd get two cabins, one for us, one for the kids. Since spouse was assigned to one cabin and I in the other, we got $200 total in obc. When we did this, two cabin price was cheaper than all four us in one cabin.

Certainly I know that the other brands are part of CCL. I factored that in. As a matter of fact I even suggested that CCL might have to diminish the Carnival brand while increasing the Princess and HA brands.

While it is true the other brands seek a higher demographic, you fail to realize that the bulk of the sales are driven by the lower end Carnival product.

The last evaluation I read about CCL was that Princess is the highest profit brand of CCL with 1/3 of the customers even though the Carnival brand has the highest passenger count. The bulk of sales don't seem to equate to the bulk of profit. CCL overall running a profit margin of just under 10% vs earlier profits of around 17%

Not exactly true.

If you haven't sold but are holding on to a stock at a loss, you have an "unrealized loss."

Also, if you do a personal balance sheet, you would list the value at the current price, not what you paid.

Personally, I think it's a bit unrealistic to say "it's only a losss when you sell it."

What is Carnival stock worth? Exactly what it would trade for today, not the price when purchased.

If you buying in large part for the shareholder credit, that's one thing.

If you are buying as an investment, clearly RCL is the better buy a this point.

Not true !!! RCL has a much heavier debt load than CCL. RCL only returns about half as much in dividends as CCL.

RCL also restricts the use of OBC unlike CCL.

Of course, I realize you look at this through different views than some who like Carnival.

A couple of questions:

Thanks

You need to own 100 shares of CCL stock to get OBC.

You can get OBC for each cruise on any of the cruise lines under CCL.

You need to apply for the OBC for each cruise booked. Send the application with a copy of a recent broker statement and your booking number.

the following website gives you the details --- phone numbers, addresses, and amount of OBC given on different length cruises.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

CCL stock OBC can be combined with other OBCs from TAs and other sources, where RCL you cant combine them. CCL OBCs are for any and all cruises u take with carnival, princess, costa, HAL, seaborne, cunard. so it really pays back.

You need to own 100 shares of CCL stock to get OBC.

You can get OBC for each cruise on any of the cruise lines under CCL.

You need to apply for the OBC for each cruise booked. Send the application with a copy of a recent broker statement and your booking number.

the following website gives you the details --- phone numbers, addresses, and amount of OBC given on different length cruises.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Thanks very much

Not true !!! RCL has a much heavier debt load than CCL. RCL only returns about half as much in dividends as CCL.

RCL also restricts the use of OBC unlike CCL.

Of course, I realize you look at this through different views than some who like Carnival.

Nice try but it doesn't work!

Carnival began the year at 38, now down to 33.

Royal Caribbean began the year at 35, now up to 36.

Next check Moody's report. They have put Carnival's credit on watch for a downgrade due to reduced revenue yields.

I own both CCL and RCL and have status on both lines. I'm simply trying to help those, like yourself, who have Carnival blinders on and may lose money!

Time to buy more!!! :D

I've been buying CCL stock bit by bit. I've been buying stock since 11/10 and have paid from 30-44.51 and have 56 shares. I'm slowly getting to the 100 shares and can't wait until I earn my OBC. I just wish I had more money to take advantage of this temporary down turn in CCL stock.

Have you looked into CCL's dividend reinvestment program. You have to own one share and than all dividends are automatically reinvested for free and you can make small purchases without paying a commission (ie$25,$50 up to$10 k a month). When you sell your shares you pay $12 for a batch sale or $25 for a market order. ( also both carry $.12 per share fee which is capped) You can go carnivals website for details or the agent is computershare.com

If you are bummed about how much CCL stock has dropped, think about this:

The obc is $100, but actually, it is worth more. See, unlike a dividend, it is not taxed.

If you are in a 23% tax bracket, you have to make $123 to come up with $100 for onboard expenses. When I say that, I mean you make $123, uncle sam takes $23 to pay stuff.

:cool: Yep!! I paid $15.87 back in '08!!:) Should have bought RCL at $5.00!!:rolleyes: Oh well I am doing good on the OBC thing!:D

Good for you! I wish I had bought my 100 shares then too. Bought 100 of RCL though, because I had a transatlantic coming up. For me it was 650 or so out, $250 back immediately - worst I could do was lose $400.

I got greedy & sold when it was over $40, then I bought back when it dipped to $25. Not all the shares I need to cruise but could transfer things around in my retirement accounts. Just so they all add up to 100 it doesn't matter if they are sitting in different accounts.

I think Carnival would do well in Asia. Not all Asians are rolling in $ and even if they are, many rich people got that way by being frugal. There were huge groups of Asians on the Carnival to Alaska I took out of Vancouver last year. I believe they were Japanese & Chinese from the old country - spoke not a word of English. If they are willing to fly to our continent to take a Carnival cruise I think they'd be willing to board a ship closer to home.

Nice try but it doesn't work!

Carnival began the year at 38, now down to 33.

Royal Caribbean began the year at 35, now up to 36.

Next check Moody's report. They have put Carnival's credit on watch for a downgrade due to reduced revenue yields.

I own both CCL and RCL and have status on both lines. I'm simply trying to help those, like yourself, who have Carnival blinders on and may lose money!

You can't talk enough to sell me RCL stock. I have studied both and made my decisions based on statistics and performance. OBC is another big factor for me, and I have no desire to sail RCL or Celebrity.

I could pick the date I bought CCL at $30, and based on your posting, Carnival has greatly outperformed RCL. You also didn't mention that RCL pays less than half the dividends CCL pays plus RCL restricts the use of OBC.

It would be nearly impossible for me to lose money on CCL stock. I have received over 30 percent of my investment back in OBC and dividends.

Thanks for the offer of help, but I respectfully decline !! Maybe the Royal fans on the other board would be interested in your offer.

Can it get worse?

Oh it absolutely can get worse...much worse.

I have owned two stocks that absolutely tanked and NEVER came back. In that case, the old saying "your first loss is your best loss" was absolutely true.

I never understand the desire to buy a very dicey stock just to get a few bucks of OBC. Basically a small dividend that you are forced to spend on very inflated items, profiting the company that gave you the dividend in the first place.

You can't talk enough to sell me RCL stock. I have studied both and made my decisions based on statistics and performance. OBC is another big factor for me, and I have no desire to sail RCL or Celebrity.

I watched NCL go public at $18 and let people here talk me out of buying it when it went public. Ive never been on NCL and listened here, and was a chicken I admit. bad decision. It sure has done well.

Its about doubled since then... shows not to listen to the carnival cheerleadrs who dont like other cruiseline stocks.

Of course RCL stock has also outperformed CCL in the same period. We all saw it at $5 and some on this board said stay away it might go to $0. I remember who said it as a matter of fact.

Always trust your own judgement and ignore any advice from cheerleaders who only like one cruiseline.

Archived