Uniworld River Beatrice, Enchanting Danube: Thoughts, pictures, and menus

AttilaTheFun

I would also like to commend you Atilla, for excellent and accurate reporting (calling your work a review does not do it justice). We have done 3 Uniworld trips and think highly of them.

One thing I would like to offer to people considering a Uniworld or similar river cruise: special diets. My lady has some fairly severe food allergies and eats a primarily vegetarian/vegan diet. On Uniworld, literally every day the head waiter or Matre’d would find us and go over the menu to ensure there were safe offerings for her. The level of care taken was most impressive.

Agree completely. We've been on three river cruises so far (all on Uniworld) and have been quite impressed by their attention to detail.

I too would like to add my compliments to Atilla for one of the finest presentations I've ever read on CC. You are to be complimented on your attention to every detail of your cruise outlined by your words and pictures. Well done.

We are new to river cruising and will take our first next year. You have presented a fantastic summary of river cruising with pictures and text. Even though we will be on a different line, you have illustrated and described what I am sure will be a very similar experience for us.

I'm back! Thank you everyone for the very kind words!

Before I get to dinner, wanted to cover off on...

Miscellaneous Meals

• Compared to an ocean cruise ship, I thought I would miss the 24/7 food availability and a huge buffet. However, we did not go hungry and found that Uniworld did their best to provide food outside of the normal meals.
  • The Lounge had an assortment of food items available from after lunch time through the beginning of dinner time. I never used this option, but the menu had some light entrees and desserts, along with a cheese platter.
  • Tea time was in the Lounge each day from 4-5pm, but we weren't very impressed by the offering. We only went on embarkation day and the food consisted of three types of mini pastries, three types of sliced fruits, and three types of finger sandwiches that had the thinnest amount of filling physically possible and must be made on the European equivalent of Wonder Bread. Of course, there was tea and coffee available as well. This was a very disappointing food offering as we look forward to tea time on cruises. Princess offers many more sandwich and pastry options that were tastier than what Uniworld had to offer.
  • Three times during the cruise, there was a special dinner hosted in the Captain's Lounge at the back of the ship, which was transformed into a very intimate dining room for the occasion. The first instance of this dinner, I believe was on embarkation night and was only available to suite guests. The second two instances were available to everyone else on a first-come, first-served basis by reserving at the Reception Desk. There were only about six tables of four each, so it's important to sign up for this opportunity right away if interested! The Reception Desk had both menus available so that we could choose which one sounded better. Note that there are no options - it's a set menu. The dinner was a very nice experience and they even used metal cloches when bringing the hot food to the table to make a dramatic, coordinated presentation of lifting them. The meal consisted of a salad, soup, entree, and dessert and we thought was excellent.
  • There were also 2-3 cocktail receptions before dinner with free sparkling wine cocktails, which was a nice touch.
  • At two separate places on the ship, there were coffee/espresso machines available 24/7. I found the quality to be very good for a machine. Near the one in the Captain's Lounge, there was also a setup with iced tea, water, and two kinds of cookies (changed daily).

Tea time spread in the Lounge

B2D0A759-B7CF-463B-985E-8E725937ADDD.JPG

The Captain's Lounge transformed for the Captain's Dinner - can't beat the view!

1B9EB27D-2B1B-4CF4-94B6-5840475612C1.JPG

Salmon salad at the Captain's Dinner

7C9077B5-0715-4C8A-9530-3865A4F0C231.JPG

Bacon-wrapped veal at the Captain's Dinner

3DFA8BD2-107D-410A-BEF4-CE826008BC3A.JPG

Linzer tart and ice cream dessert at the Captain's Dinner

DD87F1E1-CD7A-4C48-A2AD-F720E44740CF.JPG

One of the sparkling wine cocktails in the Lounge, I think before the Captain's Farewell Dinner

C32A98BB-3BEC-4ED7-A02D-F6D8D69638F4.JPG

Dinner

• We thought dinner was very good to excellent each night. As mentioned before, sometimes we had to add some salt or pepper, but the food quality was high and the options varied.
  • Table sizes ranged from 4-8. I didn't see any tables for two, but I suppose if you went to dinner very late, maybe you could get a table of four for just two of you. Basically, make some friends and sit with them or move around and meet new people each night.
  • I am not a wine connoisseur by any means, but enjoy a glass every now and then. I found the wine to be very good, with some nights being better than others, but probably just personal preference. I never heard one complaints about the complimentary wines, including from a couple that owns a wine store!
  • Portion sizes were on the small side. We were often so torn between multiple appetizers or entrees that we asked our waiter for a couple options. He was at first a bit baffled, but came to expect this from us after a few nights - whether that's a good or bad thing! :D
  • Bear with me... I took pictures of the food and can't remember what most of it is at this point! The dinner menu always included a list of three appetizers, two soups, four entrees, and three desserts (with one always being a fruit plate). Vegetables & starches were listed in a separate section of the menu, but not really meant to order separately - each dish came with one or two.

Dinner menus!

9851F32C-12AC-4ECE-BD7B-230C13703281.JPG

391FF394-A5C3-4E44-89E1-2CFB9A70ACFF.JPG

5A593514-5C36-4756-9EB2-6BF795823FE9.JPG

26051734-8E02-4D3C-AD07-4C2B52B4ABFD.JPG

5033C1BC-D024-452D-AB4E-714F85FA3BDD.JPG

Can't remember what this one was

F0982547-724C-4D97-87CE-ACFE1DF9EAC6.JPG

Another beautiful dessert I can't remember the name of

A92A2ADA-8CF5-4000-9CE5-12819EF817CD.JPG

Okay, moving backwards to the appetizer pictures!

Prosciutto appetizer

C730C202-4E73-4CB3-BC6B-746DF74A1B26.JPG

Caesar salad

BD024271-2FFD-4F7C-8E60-C75645690A61.JPG

Tomato and mozzarella appetizer

C75D748A-0422-4844-A079-54E7AD8B61D1.JPG

Shrimp salad

9882B63A-083B-42CE-96AE-1F5C7B5753BE.JPG

Edited by AttilaTheFun

Hungarian filled pancake appetizer with shredded chicken and paprika sauce - one of my favorites!

7FD6418A-4059-4E3E-B3D2-38E9A28CA572.JPG

Fried goat cheese salad

58827A1E-32DB-435E-A782-98E5BA25BB81.JPG

End appetizers, start entree pics

Steak frites

0F181954-5442-42E1-8981-89FA8B6C2158.JPG

Some kind of fish dish

D4D5CED0-B318-4869-83CF-222695EF9CE5.JPG

Stuffed beef dish

62E9AFF1-C038-423E-AC70-F504EAA9A20C.JPG

Vegetarian cauliflower gratin entree

E2F267AB-A153-4E56-BCC9-49D316978E60.JPG

Wiener schnitzel

A725E470-9E76-4DD6-9834-1979B1D3F565.JPG

Combo of two entrees - pork and lobster/shrimp pasta

480C1A06-8F46-427E-A2ED-2C8BCB8090FE.JPG

i forgot to mention that in addition to dessert, there was also a cheese table each night at dinner.

70CFE4E0-FBA8-4E96-B409-8FF9CFAFA7B4.JPG

That's it for my thoughts/pictures on the ship for now. At some point, I'll post some tips on the ports we visited and pictures. Our embarkation port of Passau is currently seeing the worst flooding in five decades, so I hope everyone in that region is safe and making out okay. Very sad news to hear and we feel extremely lucky to have gone when we did.

Your food pics and buffet, tea, lounge photos are amazing. Shows that Uniworld is head and shoulders over the c**p we were served on one of the new Viking Longships at xmas time. We had a Cat A cabin which was kinda space age in design and a real balcony with two chairs.

Had it not be 0F and windy, we may have even opened the door.

It looks like Uniworld wins hands down in the food dept...JMHO.:rolleyes:

Add my name to the long list of people giving you kudos for an excellent post covering your river cruise with Uniworld. I love all your photos. I'm ready to go sooner now. Very sad about the current flooding.

I had one major question after viewing the menus. There were many occasions when I would have been torn amongst the offered entrees. However, you mentioned the portions were on the conservative side and that you confused them with your requests for a couple of entrees when ordering. Would you say they were opposed to a request for an additional entree once you polished one off and found that you wanted something more? Or would they limit the entrees to what was requested originally because "the kitchen was no longer open" or something.

I think I saw that your CD was Markus...is that really tall 6'7" Markus? If so, we had him as our CD on our Uniworld Holland Belgium Tulips and Windmills cruise in April 2009 and he was FABULOUS!

One day, one of the locks on the river broke and we had to be bussed around while someone went 'into town' to buy parts to get the lock fixed! The boat carried on and met up with us later in the day after our tour to Kohler Muller museum and we had to scramble down a river bank to get onto the ship. Poor Markus had the phone glued to his ear all day negotiating buses, drivers and the ship to make the rendevous happen!

He sure was easy to pick out in the crowd being so tall!

Thank you once again for your generosity. Taking the time to post your amazing photos of the food and the menus is greatly appreciated. It has also given me the incentive I need to drastically diet for the next 2 weeks before I leave on the Queen Isabel! This way I can drink Port and eat dessert, guit free on my vacation :)

I had one major question after viewing the menus. There were many occasions when I would have been torn amongst the offered entrees. However, you mentioned the portions were on the conservative side and that you confused them with your requests for a couple of entrees when ordering. Would you say they were opposed to a request for an additional entree once you polished one off and found that you wanted something more? Or would they limit the entrees to what was requested originally because "the kitchen was no longer open" or something.

We always asked for the "double entrees" at the time of ordering. I think if you waited until you finished your first entree, that would confuse them even more. I don't know if we were throwing off their rhythm or what... One night, our server gave me both full-sized entrees, but another night, he gave me the full entree and a small portion to try of the other entree. Not a big deal or anything, but our server just seemed really confused about the whole thing. I'm sure he went back and told his colleagues something like, "These Americans can really pack it away!" :eek:

I think I saw that your CD was Markus...is that really tall 6'7" Markus? If so, we had him as our CD on our Uniworld Holland Belgium Tulips and Windmills cruise in April 2009 and he was FABULOUS!

No, this Markus was maybe 5'8. He was very good, but a bit too long-winded for my tastes.

Thank you for the great post. We are booked for a Nov. cruise on the S.S. Antoinette, and I noticed that you are booked on her in Dec.. I noticed that your ship had a laundry, and I hope that there will also be one on the Antoinette since we are traveling light and will be traveling to Lucerne post cruise. This will be our first river cruise and we will be sailing from Amsterdam to Basel. Could you please tell me what time you are allowed to board the ship?

No, this Markus was maybe 5'8. He was very good, but a bit too long-winded for my tastes.

AttilatheFun....your name jiggled a memory that i was sure i had read one of your reviews before and now,when I sacn down your signature, I see you did the Grand Med on the Ruby last June...we went in Aug so I had read your reviews etc.

THAT was my fav cruise EVER :)