Another post about Carnival email to arrive for boarding later...

dude_hdt

Just got the following email for our cruise this Sunday. I didn't recall from other post to say that Belize was the reason for extra scrutiny from Customs. I had planned to be dropped off at 10:30am as previous experiences had boarding beginning at 11:30am. With other posts on this topic, boarding seems to end up being normal. What do you all think? Even if boarding is delayed. Waiting in the terminal and staring at the ship with great anticipation is better than at home delaying the start of my vacation.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL MAGIC

JUNE 2, 2013

May 28, 2013

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Magic. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

Most days we are able to start boarding slightly earlier than the published embarkation time of 12:30 PM. However, this Sunday, as a result of additional document screening measures implemented by Customs and Border Protection for cruises returning from Belize, our debarkation process may run a bit behind schedule. Therefore, for your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited, please do not arrive prior to 12:30 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Hmmmm, that's a new one to me too!! I guess you could show up when you want, but you truly may have a very long wait if the ship in fact arrives so much later or is held up due to a customs check...hmmmm

I only live 30 minutes from the pier so will usually check the live pier camera in the morning to see if arrival is fairly on time. However, can't see what goes on with the Customs line to gauge the slowdown with debarkation. Can't be too long of a wait if it comes to that. Thank goodness for smart phones and tablets to keep me entertained.

So what kind of trouble has Belize been causing? My last cruise was also on Magic 18 months ago and did stop in Belize. I don't recall any extra debarkation problems that time.

We received the same email for our May 18th cruise on the Carnival Liberty. Our flight got into MIA at 9:30 so we checked in at the airport and used their shuttle service. We got to the port about 10:45 and they actually started boarding the weddings, etc. at about 11:30. We were surprised because we too had been ready for a long wait. They called our number at 11:45 and we were having lunch by 12:00.

So I would take my chances if I were you and arrive at the time you had planned!

Just a ploy to keep crowds down and give them more time to get ready. The email I got for my cruise stated don't show up until after 1:30pm because they had Coast Guard inspections yet we arrived at 10:15am and were on the boat by 11:45am.

We received the same email for our Magic May 12th cruise which had just returned from Belize. Since we did buy the FTTF I was disappointed that we weren't able to board early, but did get on and to our room about 12. I would have hated being in the lines that were already forming as there were a number of people already waiting when we got there about 10:45. So, if not priority or FTTF either get there early and wait, or wait until later to go. That email was accurate for us, but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Hope you have a great cruise, loved the Magic!

I only live 30 minutes from the pier so will usually check the live pier camera in the morning to see if arrival is fairly on time. However, can't see what goes on with the Customs line to gauge the slowdown with debarkation. Can't be too long of a wait if it comes to that. Thank goodness for smart phones and tablets to keep me entertained.

So what kind of trouble has Belize been causing? My last cruise was also on Magic 18 months ago and did stop in Belize. I don't recall any extra debarkation problems that time.

You can guage how well debarkation is going by watching the busses in the parking lot. If they are pulling out pretty early then you know everything is going on schedule.

I've cruised from Galveston 13 times and 3 of those times I've been to Belize and we've never had a slow down at customs.

The only time embarkation has been delayed was once for fog and once for the 90 day crew inspection. And debarkation always starts much earlier then they tell the guests. The arrival time is usually listed for 8am, but the ship is usually tied up at the pier by 6:30 and debarkation frequently starts shortly after 7am.

As long as you prepare yourself for a long wait, possibly having to stand since seating is limited, then go as early as you would like. If you get lucky, you may get on early, or if not, you could be standing for two or three hours waiting, its the luck of the draw. I do not like alot of waiting and crowds, I would rather arrive at 1 to 1:30 and go through security and walk right on the ship, as I have the last couple of cruises, but everyone likes different things..

We received the same email for our Magic May 12th cruise which had just returned from Belize. Since we did buy the FTTF I was disappointed that we weren't able to board early, but did get on and to our room about 12. I would have hated being in the lines that were already forming as there were a number of people already waiting when we got there about 10:45. So, if not priority or FTTF either get there early and wait, or wait until later to go. That email was accurate for us, but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Hope you have a great cruise, loved the Magic!

That's surprising. We were on the cruise right before yours. At 9:50 AM my MIL's sisters were still on the ship, waiting for their #8 luggage tags to be called.

To the OP, I would also keep an eye on when the ship arrives. We were docked in Galveston by 6:30 - with priority self-assist, we were through customs by 7:35. I guess they got more customs agents, as when we arrived there were only 4. If the ship isn't docked by 6:30, I'd expect the wait to be even longer. The cruise before us docked late - as a result they didn't start boarding until almost noon for us. I can only imagine how late they would've started if we had gotten back as late as the trip the week before us did.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DW and SIL had a similar emailfor their recent cruise on the Dream. According to them, all the hotel shuttles were not even departing the hotels until 1PM. They arrived at the port at 1:15 and practically went directly on board. Others on that cruise who were driving to Port Canaveral, went on to the port early and were on board by 11:30PM. So if you don't mind waiting or have Platinum or FTTF boarding, head on to the port. If there is a delay due to coast Guard or customs or both, you'll get checked in but just have wait until the ship is cleared and they are ready to board. BTDT.

I have friends with property in Belize and getting out of Belize via ground transportation can also be a nightmare.

One poster said... go ahead and arrive early but be prepared to wait. That's good advice.

One poster said... That's an email you should heed. Also good advice.

Here is something else to consider...we just sailed the Inspiration out of Long Beach on May 13th. We arrived to the pier around 10am hoping to be on the ship by 11:30. We didn't even get called for boarding until after 12noon. The excuse given to us was: Government Cut Backs, fewer Custom's agents working.

When we disembarked the following Friday... there were only three agents working. However it did go by pretty quickly.

You have to know yourself. Will you start to get anxious because you are sitting there with nothing to do but listen to everyone else complain because they can't get on early? If so, don't go so early.

If not...roll the dice and hopefully you will get on. Our last Magic Cruise in June we were on the ship by 11am and it was great!!

Well. Its show time!!

Magic arrived and docked at 6:40am. The big variable to me is how crowded is the previous cruise was and how long the extra scrutiny will last. Its raining off and on but forecast for more rain so that another variable. It's 10am and my ride is here for the 30 minute transit so well see how the boarding goes.

For closure to this thread, boarding started at 11:30a. My ride took for ever getting here so walked in at 11:10a and got S&S by 11:30. We got zone 9 so that's how many early arrives there are. Zone 7 called at 11:59 so a few short minutes until us!!!

Just got the following email for our cruise this Sunday. I didn't recall from other post to say that Belize was the reason for extra scrutiny from Customs. I had planned to be dropped off at 10:30am as previous experiences had boarding beginning at 11:30am. With other posts on this topic, boarding seems to end up being normal. What do you all think? Even if boarding is delayed. Waiting in the terminal and staring at the ship with great anticipation is better than at home delaying the start of my vacation.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL MAGIC

JUNE 2, 2013

May 28, 2013

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Magic. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

Most days we are able to start boarding slightly earlier than the published embarkation time of 12:30 PM. However, this Sunday, as a result of additional document screening measures implemented by Customs and Border Protection for cruises returning from Belize, our debarkation process may run a bit behind schedule. Therefore, for your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited, please do not arrive prior to 12:30 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

I would rather be in the terminal as early as you can and wait until they start boarding than wait until all the mess happens!! Get their early :)

First ones who arrive are the first ones on the lido deck to have lunch and the first to explore the ship ,1000% better than getting their late ,boarding late and all the lines for EVERYTHING. The worst being the elevators with all the carry on luggage ;)

For closure to this thread, boarding started at 11:30a. My ride took for ever getting here so walked in at 11:10a and got S&S by 11:30. We got zone 9 so that's how many early arrives there are. Zone 7 called at 11:59 so a few short minutes until us!!!

didn't read the date of the thread .Glad you got on pretty early and didn't wait :)

Is it generally not normal to arrive/board around midday or later?

My cruise leaves port at 5pm, wants everyone on by 3.30pm. We are planning to get there at 2.30pm due to various reasons.

I would say the majority of the people want to get their cruise started as soon as possible. That and the fact that anyone staying at a hotel the days prior to the cruise have to be out of their hotels by noon at the latest. With no place to be, they usually go to the pier and try to get on the ship as early as possible. The earlier you get there, the earlier you get on the ship and start your vacation.

We got that same email on our Magic cruise and ignored it and got there early. WELL... it was really delayed in customs. We sat in the terminal for 4 hours. HOWEVER, our friends who came later.... STOOD in line for 3 hours. I'll take breezing thru checkin and sitting in the terminal anyday...

They've been sending them out for awhile now. I usually get to the pier around 10:30-11:00, and go right through check in, and on to the ship. If I'm earlier, the wait is usually no more than an hour in the waiting room.

Is it generally not normal to arrive/board around midday or later?

My cruise leaves port at 5pm, wants everyone on by 3.30pm. We are planning to get there at 2.30pm due to various reasons.

Another reason people arrive early is so they can have lunch on board! :)

But, you certainly don't have to get there in the morning.

Archived