Cruise Directors

April65

I disagree. Our cruise fare pays their wages. They perform a role in the public spotlight and therefore are open to public scrutiny.

The survey asks for feedback in the Entertainment, not the CD therefore will not pick up people's issues re the individuals. Ive added notes to mine but clearly go no avail.

As a final note, we were on RCI on a transatlantic in April and the cruise director was amazing (Clodagh O'Connor or HelloClo as she is known). She made the cruise! So professional and led so many events herself. Maybe P&O need to poach some CDs from other lines?

Seconded. If it was a cabin steward or a bartender then no, but a cruise director is probably the most high profile person on the ship besides the captain (on some ships more than the captain), and is therefore subject to criticism. We should be allowed to discuss someone who plays a pivotal role in the cruise experience.

I had the pleasure of meeting Neil Oliver (usually on Azura) on the world cruise when he joined Arcadia in Sydney. He came to many of the solo meetings on board and brought other people including the Exec Purser on two ooccasions and produced a couple of bottles of sherry on two occasions for us. I had organised cruise critic get togethers and he came to them and sat and chatted to everyone. He is very much a visible person and is at the forefront at sailaways. He is a total asset to P&O.

Before my latest cruise I would not have said i had any opinion on my cruise director (who?) however, having just returned from a 7 night trip to the Fjords on Azura I can honestly say that Neil Oliver was fantastic. The whole entertainment team were buzzing and outgoing and as for Neils sail away on our last leave of port, he succeeded in having the whole deck dancing and flag waving no mean feat in cold slashing rain. He deserves the recognition that he is undoubtedly getting on these forums.

Seconded. If it was a cabin steward or a bartender then no, but a cruise director is probably the most high profile person on the ship besides the captain (on some ships more than the captain), and is therefore subject to criticism. We should be allowed to discuss someone who plays a pivotal role in the cruise experience.

I agree. The CD is listed as a Senior Officer. If they do not perform then they should accept public criticism.

I think it's very unfair to mention names of staff on a public forum. Especially when they cannot reply.How would you feel if it was you or a member of your family or a close friend who was being publicly criticised?

If you have problems with a cruise member of staff then raise it on board and fill in the post cruise survey and if you wish to follow up with a letter then write privately to the cruise company.

They can reply by improving. He clearly doesn't.

Ns

Do the individual ships always have their own cruise director? I have been reading some very negative reports on Hughie. Is he always the cruise director on Ventura?

On my recent (April) Ventura cruise Hughie was cruise director. He seemed to take an admin role rather than front of house. ( He did admit he was of pensionable age). However, I did not miss him. The other members of the Entertainment Team did everything expected, and there were two (I think) more senior/experienced members who did fulfill the role that I had seen cruise directors fill on other cruises.

As long as everything runs as expected I don't care what title the person running it has.

The way a company decide to organise things is its own business and if they decide that cruise director is 'management' not 'front of house', and everything works( as it did for me) I'm content to let them get on with it.

Edited by FangedRose
thought of something else

Ns

On my recent (April) Ventura cruise Hughie was cruise director. He seemed to take an admin role rather than front of house. ( He did admit he was of pensionable age). However, I did not miss him. The other members of the Entertainment Team did everything expected, and there were two (I think) more senior/experienced members who did fulfill the role that I had seen cruise directors fill on other cruises.

As long as everything runs as expected I don't care what title the person running it has.

The way a company decide to organise things is its own business and if they decide that cruise director is 'management' not 'front of house', and everything works( as it did for me) I'm content to let them get on with it.

Exactly,

The CD does not have to be the one who prances around like a clown for our entertainment, as long as someone does it. It is good training for future CD's. also personally I do not give a dam if I never see the CD on a cruise.

In my experience CD's take many forms, some hi profile some not. Does not make them good or bad CD's.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Is Leon still on Arcadia ?, a legend that bloke, does a great sailaway with his staff, much better than Princess the P&O Sailaways. A real 'knees up.'

Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem and all that, great stuff.

Is Leon still on Arcadia ?, a legend that bloke, does a great sailaway with his staff, much better than Princess the P&O Sailaways. A real 'knees up.'

Sounds like a pretty standard P&O Great British Sailaway :)

Sounds like a pretty standard P&O Great British Sailaway :)

Cringingly embarrassing you mean. Crikey, look at those brits clinging to something thats almost ancient history. They did it twice on Arcadia. The sailaway party having very few taking part and later in the rising sun they issued little flags. At about midnight they played 'bluebirds over' - aargh. Anyone aboard who was old enough to remember that when it came out was either dead or had consumed their horliks and was already asleep :eek:;)

Maybe some of Aussies who like the P&O UK Sailaways have a bit of 'Chav' in our blood. We call them Bogans here. LOL. Anyway we will take our little Aussie flag to wave at the sailaways next year on Arcadia, mixes in well with the flag of St.George, you know the white one with the red cross on it. Why don't they issue Union Jack flags on the ships?

Rule Britannia. Charlie for King !!

I think it's very unfair to mention names of staff on a public forum. Especially when they cannot reply.How would you feel if it was you or a member of your family or a close friend who was being publicly criticised?

If you have problems with a cruise member of staff then raise it on board and fill in the post cruise survey and if you wish to follow up with a letter then write privately to the cruise company.

It should be no different to any other job. Public officials, polititians are all named and shamed based on performance. Public company directors are answerable to shareholders and their performance is made public. Why should it be any different for a poor performing cruise director. If their performance is poor and people keep naming the same one then they shold be dismissed as our money is paying their wages when we purchase a holiday.

IIRC he was on Azura at Christmas but I don't know whether he has moved since.

I am a sprightly 65 year old and I remember Vera Lynn singing 'Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover, albeit many years ago and I must admit I had not heard it for decades until it blared out over the Arcadia's sound system on the aft deck. I thought I was one of the younger mob on Arcadia WC last year. LOL. No Horlicks around, that is a night time drink right? I prefer Cognac. The sailaways on Arcadia were quite well attended, a couple of hundred pax anyway.

Maybe some of Aussies who like the P&O UK Sailaways have a bit of 'Chav' in our blood. We call them Bogans here. LOL. Anyway we will take our little Aussie flag to wave at the sailaways next year on Arcadia, mixes in well with the flag of St.George, you know the white one with the red cross on it. Why don't they issue Union Jack flags on the ships?

Rule Britannia. Charlie for King !!

The Union Flag is always given out. Never had the cross of St George.

Gan Canny

Dai

Cringingly embarrassing you mean. Crikey, look at those brits clinging to something thats almost ancient history. They did it twice on Arcadia. The sailaway party having very few taking part and later in the rising sun they issued little flags. At about midnight they played 'bluebirds over' - aargh. Anyone aboard who was old enough to remember that when it came out was either dead or had consumed their horliks and was already asleep :eek:;)

Thought it was just me who found it embarrassing! Im not alone!

Let's balance out the comments here... After being on Arcadia I can now nearly quote "I still call Australia home" and "Waltzing Matilda" word-for-word!

People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones comes to mind...

The best Cruise director we have ever had was Gary Glading Unfortunately he moved to Cunard!

I was under the impression he went to Norwegian Cruise lines. Unless he has moved back to the Carnival brands and is now at Cunard. He was good for P&O.

I take my little Scottish flags and wave them along with the union flag at the sailaways. Its a laugh.

And me! Come on Scotland! Got to wave our flag (literally!) amongst all those Union Jacks.

The sailaways are hardly the cultural event of the year but they're a bit of fun.

I take my little Scottish flags and wave them along with the union flag at the sailaways. Its a laugh.

I had a guy next to me with a Welsh dragon last month which he waved vigorously when Welsh songs were sung, fair enough, but why, when we came to England, did he boo and then walk away? I wasn't quick enough to take him to task!

• 3 weeks later...