How horrible will it be.......?>

Islophile

Many thanks to everyone who replied - I'm really grateful for your helpful advice.

The balance of opinion is 12 in favour of going, and 4 advising against it. Which seems conclusive enough, even allowing for the fact that on a forum like this there is likely to be a natural bias in favour, seeing as most members will be cruise enthusiasts. So I'm thinking we will go for it. The first challenge will be persuading Mrs Islophile! I think my best prospect of achieving this will be by adopting Wallie's line:

It's a long way off, but if we do go I'll post a review here. Thanks again - I really appreciate your comments. :)

I would check the cruise line website to see what their cruises are like. I don't think they are aimed at the bingo crowd.

... but I'm prepared for the worst:eek:

....but the idea of going on one of those monstrous cruise liners really turns me off!

....I've got this horrible feeling that we will have to endure being trapped in a floating old-folks home surrounded by people playing bingo, eating vast quantities of terrible food, and having to endure dressing for dinner and (worst of all) being subjected to 'entertainment'.

First of all for someone who has never been on a cruise, I'm not sure where your perception of cruising comes from. But in my experience you couldn't be further from the truth. "Old folks home"...really?

But cruising is not for everyone - just like camping isn't, skiing isn't, or Las Vegas isn't, etc., etc. But with your negative outlook and perceptions towards it, it is likely to meet your expectations.

Just like with any new experience, I would suggest either to go with an open mind and look for the best or to not go at all, as otherwise you are likely to be disappointed.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'm hoping for some reassurance from you experts here, but I'm prepared for the worst:eek:

I've never been on a cruise, and have never had the slightest desire to. The nearest we've got to cruising was a couple of week-long trips on small boats (max 12 passengers) in the Hebrides, visiting remote and uninhabited islands and watching wildlife. It was brilliant, but the idea of going on one of those monstrous cruise liners really turns me off!

Now as my username suggests, I just love islands, and on my list of islands to visit before I die are the remote Atlantic outposts of Ascension, St Helena and Tristan da Cunha. Now these are not easy (or cheap) places to get to, but we've found a cruise in early 2015 which goes from Cape Town to the Canaries calling at Namibia, St Helena, Ascension and the Cape Verde Islands. It's on a ship called MV Voyager, which belongs to a company called Voyages of Discovery.

Now on the one hand we really do want to get to these destinations, and there are not many other options for getting there - certainly not affordable ones. On the other hand, I've got this horrible feeling that we will have to endure being trapped in a floating old-folks home surrounded by people playing bingo, eating vast quantities of terrible food, and having to endure dressing for dinner and (worst of all) being subjected to 'entertainment'. I've read some reviews of this ship, and they are mixed, to say the least. Any comments - should we go for it, or not touch it with a bargepole? All advice gratefully received. Thanks

If you are definitely going, then I would say the most important thing you can do to make your trip better is to change your attitude. If you go expecting the worst, that is very likely what you will experience. Attitude can make a very big difference in your experience. I'll give you an example. I was on a cruise that I really enjoyed. Someone else on the same cruise didn't enjoy it as much. I wrote a review. This other person read my review and criticized it for not listing all the faults. So I asked her what I missed. She listed several things that were bad in her opinion. Turns out I mentioned every one except the tables in the buffet that had not been bussed.

My feeling was, I didn't know how long it had been since the people left the table. If thirty minutes, then there was a problem. If thirty seconds, then there wasn't a problem.

But the point is, I saw and mentioned everything else she did and I had a great time and she didn't like it. This was on NCL and I don't like Freestyle, yet I still had a great time.

It is all in the attitude. Look for the bad and yes, you will find it. Look for the good and you know what, you'll find that too.

You are never going to see a cruise where 100 reviews all give the ship five stars or better. People who want to complaint are more likely to post a review than people who had a good time. If you find a ship with all perfect reviews, I would question the credibility of all those reviews.

Now, as to the ship, it is small by current standards. By no means would I label the MV Voyager as "one of those monstrous cruise liners". You don't have to go to the entertainment, I don't like dressing up either, I would expect that the food will be at least three star quality and I don't play BINGO either. Yet I've been on 22 cruises, have two more booked, and I still enjoy the days at sea and a time to really relax or catch up on something, such as reading, watching a show that is interesting or that I wanted to see (I bring my laptop computer with me), viewing and storing my photographs and writing my review (I write my review while on the ship).

You are going to some place that you want to go to. Why not enjoy the transportation and thus the entire trip?

First of all for someone who has never been on a cruise, I'm not sure where your perception of cruising comes from. But in my experience you couldn't be further from the truth. "Old folks home"...really?

Where did it come from? Hard to know where to start, but I guess Cruise Critic is as good a place as any: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221154

With that as a 1st impression I see what you mean. I still think for what ya'll like to do and see this Ship will be a wonderful means of transporation. Very few will book to the remote out of the way islands you want to see that are mentioned in that review.

I still say go for it.

Where did it come from? Hard to know where to start, but I guess Cruise Critic is as good a place as any: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221154

I tend to not give that much weight to the opinion of someone that I don't know and I read every review, whether for a cruise or a restaurant, with a big bag of salt. As you said this is a way for you to get to see some islands that you wouldn't be able to afford to see otherwise. Focus on that aspect and if the cruise turns out to be a bummer you will at least have great memories of the islands. If the cruise turns out to be better than expected then it's icing on the cake.

I'm hoping for some reassurance from you experts here, but I'm prepared for the worst:eek:

I've never been on a cruise, and have never had the slightest desire to. The nearest we've got to cruising was a couple of week-long trips on small boats (max 12 passengers) in the Hebrides, visiting remote and uninhabited islands and watching wildlife. It was brilliant, but the idea of going on one of those monstrous cruise liners really turns me off!

Now as my username suggests, I just love islands, and on my list of islands to visit before I die are the remote Atlantic outposts of Ascension, St Helena and Tristan da Cunha. Now these are not easy (or cheap) places to get to, but we've found a cruise in early 2015 which goes from Cape Town to the Canaries calling at Namibia, St Helena, Ascension and the Cape Verde Islands. It's on a ship called MV Voyager, which belongs to a company called Voyages of Discovery.

Now on the one hand we really do want to get to these destinations, and there are not many other options for getting there - certainly not affordable ones. On the other hand, I've got this horrible feeling that we will have to endure being trapped in a floating old-folks home surrounded by people playing bingo, eating vast quantities of terrible food, and having to endure dressing for dinner and (worst of all) being subjected to 'entertainment'. I've read some reviews of this ship, and they are mixed, to say the least. Any comments - should we go for it, or not touch it with a bargepole? All advice gratefully received. Thanks

Old folks home , really? You have no idea what you are missing but I won't get into what a great experience it is as you have your mind made up and I think you should not cruise.

Edited by joie1016
spelling

Hopefully I might be able to give you a reasonably balanced assessment.

We have cruised both with the bigger lines (Princess, HAL, Celebrity) and also with Voyages of Discovery (though on the MV Discovery, not the MV Voyager) We didn't think that we would like cruising either :)

No ship we have been on yet can be described as a 'floating old folks home', though I am sure there are some that are. Yes, at 50, we were amongst the youngest on the Discovery, but VOD tends to attract people who want to explore and go to places where the other lines don't go. So not, on the whole, the bingo playing/knitting crowd. Many passengers do their own thing in port rather than use the ship's tours and are experienced and friendly travellers. We made more new friends on that trip than on any other.

The food, whilst good, wasn't up to the standard of Princess/Celebrity, but far better than you would find in most all inclusive 5* hotels. The entertainment was mixed, but that is the case with most lines and no one forces you to go. Most lectures were great and much better than other lines. The fairly port intensive itinerary meant that most people were in bed by 10pm so if you want a lively atmosphere look elsewhere.

If you don't want to dress for dinner then you can eat in the buffet - the food is the same. No one forces you to eat either. We have recently returned from a 10 day Celebrity cruise and we ate well, but still managed to lose a pound or two with lots of hiking, Zumba and the gym.

It's not a glamorous ship or cruise line, but as you have realised, does tend to go places that others don't. That said, looking at the itinerary you are considering, there are a large proportion of sea days so bear this in mind if you think you won't like the entertainment or activities. The library was good, but you can only read so many books in one trip.

It's a small ship and not as stable as a larger modern cruise ship. A lot depends on the weather, but that area isn't famous for calm seas. Personally, that ship and itinerary wouldn't be my choice for a first cruise, but it does go to places that you want. Other ships do as well, so worth researching a bit more before booking.

Finally, it's a long way off. If you absolutely want to go and don't want to take the risk that it will sell out then book it now. From experience, it's unlikely to be a popular itinerary and many people prefer the larger more modern ships. I can see it being reduced in price quite sharply as it gets closer - you only have to look at the prices available now (18 night White Sea now £475 from over £2300 in the brochure, for example).

If you are ambivalent about going then nothing to lose by sitting on the decision for 17 months or so.

Edited by milamber

Thanks again everyone for more really helpful advice. Especially milamber, who goes into lots of detail and gives useful insight into what it's really like. I'm tempted by the idea of delaying booking in the hope that the price comes down. Milamber suggests that 'it's unlikely to be a popular itinerary and many people prefer the larger more modern ships.'

Any other comments on that? I can see that these remote Atlantic islands may not be everyone's first choice of destination, but on the other hand, few ships go there, so maybe those that do get booked up?

Thanks again everyone for more really helpful advice. Especially milamber, who goes into lots of detail and gives useful insight into what it's really like. I'm tempted by the idea of delaying booking in the hope that the price comes down. Milamber suggests that 'it's unlikely to be a popular itinerary and many people prefer the larger more modern ships.'

Any other comments on that? I can see that these remote Atlantic islands may not be everyone's first choice of destination, but on the other hand, few ships go there, so maybe those that do get booked up?

I was looking at the Celebrity Xpedition (98 pax) to the Galapagos Islands and for 2015 all of the inside cabins and veranda cabins are sold out already, so if cabin choice is important then booking early is the best bet.

Islophile, last year, my husband felt exactly like you. I wasn't sure because friends were so pro-cruising. We saw a deal last year which we wanted to do & determined we could "put up with" the cruise part for the destinations as there was only one sea day to "endure". Worst case, we'd have the experience ticked off our list. The cruise was with NCL and, much to our surprise, we loved it! We are late 20s & a lot of the other cruisers were much older than us, but a very mixed bunch and we met some very fun and interesting people. It's a very different way to travel than our usual backpacks and hostels, but we liked that change of pace. Because it was NCL we weren't forced to sit down to meals and I still wouldn't be up for doing that, so it may have been the relaxed line that we took to. I'm glad we took the risk, it paid off!

I was looking at the Celebrity Xpedition (98 pax) to the Galapagos Islands and for 2015 all of the inside cabins and veranda cabins are sold out already, so if cabin choice is important then booking early is the best bet.

You simply can't compare the two. The Xpedition is a tiny ship from a big name cruise line in an area which most people with normal budgets can only dream of. No other big name line cruises in that area, yet, and the local ships cost even more than Celebrity. In the two years I have been looking I have never seen a Voyages of Discovery cruise sell out with a month or so to go. We went to Myanmar (Burma) when no other cruise line went and the ship was only 66% full. Agreed if you want a specific cabin then fair enough, but that would be the only reason. The OP isn't that sure about going. Waiting until late and saving a packet will mitigate things if he doesn't like it.

You may want to check their policy for price cuts after you book. With the larger cruise lines, you can often get the price cut which occurs after you book or onboard credit equal to the cut.

Rarely in the UK sadly and definitely not with Voyages of Discovery, sorry.:(

Once again, many thanks for all this really useful advice - I really appreciate it. In particular, this from milamber:

In the two years I have been looking I have never seen a Voyages of Discovery cruise sell out with a month or so to go. We went to Myanmar (Burma) when no other cruise line went and the ship was only 66% full. Agreed if you want a specific cabin then fair enough, but that would be the only reason. The OP isn't that sure about going. Waiting until late and saving a packet will mitigate things if he doesn't like it.

We're not fussy about cabins, apart from not wanting an inside one (of which there seem to be very few on the Voyager). So we'll hold our nerve and hope for a price reduction during 2014. Cheers everyone. I have to say I'm already feeling more positive about cruising, because most of you guys have been so friendly and helpful. :)

Hey I checked that the cruise you are talking about is 30days cruise, won't that bore you especially if you not interested. Why don't you look for MSC, they do Cape Town, Namibia route and the longest is 8 days starting from R5900. 30 days at sea, I cant cope.

The Voyager cruise that we're considering lasts 22 days if you finish at the Canaries. I think you could also stay on the ship all the way to the UK, so maybe that's the 30-day version. I googled MSC and found their website, but I couldn't find any ships calling at St Helena or Ascension. Also, the pictures on the site were a bit off-putting - monster ships........! :eek:

On the other hand, I've got this horrible feeling that we will have to endure being trapped in a floating old-folks home surrounded by people playing bingo, eating vast quantities of terrible food, and having to endure dressing for dinner and (worst of all) being subjected to 'entertainment'.

I don't think they do bingo, so if you were hoping to spend some time grousing about bingo, you may be unlucky. If the sight of other people eating offends you, then most sorts of holiday would be offputting.

As for being "subject to entertainment", they only have one show lounge and the times of shows are advertised. With a little forethought and careful planning, it might be within your power not to be in that lounge at that time. Yes, there is a risk that you could be sitting in a quiet bar when a professional pianist comes in and plays the piano, and so if that's going to ruin your holiday, then I wouldn't bother. Or you might find it an acceptable alternative to get up and walk out.

Thanks dsrdsrdsr - that's helpful and quite encouraging. I must say reading the reviews can occasionally be a bit off-putting! There's a real mixture, including some very enthusiastic ones, and then you find one that says 'Felt like a Rest Home at sea'. :confused: But I think we'll go for it, and we're really grateful for all the responses to our post. Thanks! :)

Islophile, one thing to remember, you can put 20 people into the same room, feed them the exact same food, show them the exact same entertainment, and you'll get 20 different reviews. Food is VERY subjective, and you'll find some that are totally happy with bangers and mash all day, every day, and then you'll find those who are only happy with Michelin Star food and service. What you'll also discover is that there are a lot of people out there in the cruising world who are only happy when they're complaining about something. You cannot get a fair judgement about cruising when you only read one thread of someone who's complaining. So basing your opinion of cruising on that one thread you posted on here, really isn't the most wise way to view a cruise.

No modern cruise ship forces you to "endure" entertainment, even gigantic ships such as Oasis and Allure that are known for their variety of entertainment venues. You do not have to go to any show. You can go sit peacefully on an upper deck and admire the stars and moon, if there is one.

Sometimes the waiters entertain in the Main Dining Room, but you can leave before that starts because it is near the end of the meal. Or you can simply not eat in the dining room that night.

You also might be surprised at how good the food is on a cruise ship. Even if you are a strict vegetarian you can find plenty of options. I'm not sure what you mean by bad food. To me it would be all hamburgers, hot dogs and fries. I have no idea what poor food choices would be for you, but there is a diverse selection of cuisine and diets on cruise ships today.