General questions about river cruises

jkgourmet

I looked at Uniworld's day-to-day schedule and there is a motor coach indication at many cities. Is it the norm to be "bused" in for the walking tour?

I thought at most cities it was an easy walk to the city?

Depends on the ports. If it is a small to medium size town that is situated on the river you are cruising on, often you are within walking distance of the main sights.

If you are docked in a larger city (Nuremburg, Vienna) where the dock is not in the city center, then the boat will not dock within walking distance of the main sights.

If the highlight for the day is in a place not on a river your boat is traveling (Heidelberg, Salzburg, Rothenburg), then you'll first take a motorcoach there, and then begin your walking tour.

Which itinerary are you considering?

thanks Oysterdam, we are hoping to do Amsterdam/ Budapest in the Fall of 2014. Trying to make an informed decision about which company to choose and am beginning to think we will be happy with which ever we choose ( Uniworld, AMAway or Viking) and will probably end up choosing on cost. I really thought I wanted a french Balcony and am disappointed that Uniworld's are so much more than their other categories. Not sure that the non-opening windows will be sufficient.

Luke's grandma,

We really enjoyed our French balcony cabin on Viking last year. It was so nice to enjoy the passing scenery as we prepared for dinner. Even with the cooler weather for the time of year we cruised, we did have our door open a few times to enjoy the fresh air or look up and down the river and to take photographs.

thanks Oysterdam' date=' we are hoping to do Amsterdam/ Budapest in the Fall of 2014. Trying to make an informed decision about which company to choose and am beginning to think we will be happy with which ever we choose ( Uniworld, AMAway or Viking) and will probably end up choosing on cost. I really thought I wanted a french Balcony and am disappointed that Uniworld's are so much more than their other categories. Not sure that the non-opening windows will be sufficient.[/quote']

I agree, you've narrowed your cruise line choices down to excellent lines.

Here's something that might be helpful - the cruise companion for the 2013 Uniworld European Jewels. It gives a very detailed day by day account of that cruise.

http://www.uniworld.com/Media/US-English/12/18/2012/1112-23_EJ_CC-SE.pdf

thanks Oysterdam' date=' we are hoping to do Amsterdam/ Budapest in the Fall of 2014. Trying to make an informed decision about which company to choose and am beginning to think we will be happy with which ever we choose ( Uniworld, AMAway or Viking) and will probably end up choosing on cost. I really thought I wanted a french Balcony and am disappointed that Uniworld's are so much more than their other categories. Not sure that the non-opening windows will be sufficient.[/quote']

Don't leave out Vantage. They can usually beat the prices on all but the budget lines like Gate 1.

The Uniworld's brochure was more informative than the info on line or in the brochure they sent. thanks...were the "optional tours" an additional cost?

I also think that an pre/post extension for Amsterdam is going to be important or we won't see any of it. Budapest seems to have a day's worth of exploring.

What are thoughts about doing Amsterdam on our own or using the Cruise's

offered packages. Seems that they are pricey although Viking will charge an additional $100 if we use their air but not the land package.

Haven't research what Uniworld does.

The Uniworld's brochure was more informative than the info on line or in the brochure they sent. thanks...were the "optional tours" an additional cost?

I also think that an pre/post extension for Amsterdam is going to be important or we won't see any of it. Budapest seems to have a day's worth of exploring.

What are thoughts about doing Amsterdam on our own or using the Cruise's

offered packages. Seems that they are pricey although Viking will charge an additional $100 if we use their air but not the land package.

Haven't research what Uniworld does.

Doing anything pre/post on your own is usually more cost effective - although some people prefer to have all details taken care of and don't mind the extra cost.

The area where the river boats dock in Amsterdam is pretty close to the centre of town, so it isn't difficult to manage on your own --> with public transit or a taxi.

Fran

Each stop has an excursion included in your cruise fare. The optional excursions when offered either are in addition to or replace the included excursion (not enough time in the port stop to do both sometimes) and run between 39 euros to 69 euros per person with Uniworld.

Many passengers take the optional excursions - afterall, you've travelled so far to take the cruise, and you'll likely never be back to the area being visited, so why not pack in more experiences. We take the optional ones about 70% of the time.

We had friends just do a back to back on Uniworld's River Baroness and AMA's AmaDagio. We had been raving to them about AMA they had enjoyed an earlier cruise with Uniworld so they did both this past April.

Their opinion was that for food, wine, attention to detail, excursions and overall experience, AMA blew Uniworld out of the water. They were amazed at the differences and said they were very glad they did the Uniworld cruise first.

We have never done Uniworld as we have seen their boats and their ornate and traditional style does not appeal. We have done AMA and Avalon and for us, there is no comparison. AMA provided a wonderful experience on our two cruises with them and we have booked two more.

We have never done Uniworld as we have seen their boats and their ornate and traditional style does not appeal.

Each Uniworld ship is decorated differently. This is definitely a cruise line where decisions about decor should not be generalized, as each ship has a totally different interior look.

I personally did not have any problems with their decor on the two Uniworld cruises that I have taken since the redo of the interiors. I found the River Duchess and the River Queen to be beautiful ships.

Each Uniworld ship is decorated differently. This is definitely a cruise line where decisions about decor should not be generalized, as each ship has a totally different interior look.

I personally did not have any problems with their decor on the two Uniworld cruises that I have taken since the redo of the interiors. I found the River Duchess and the River Queen to be beautiful ships.

The ones we have been docked with are not appealing to us. We really have no interest in Uniworld so have not spent time looking at their website and decor of individual boats. We also would not try Vantage or GCT from seeing their boats in port. Too budget for what we enjoy.

A generalization perhaps but we found a line that works for us and we are not your average river cruisers IMO. We are younger and like a more energetic onboard ambiance, staff and excursions. AMA fits our profile. Would also like to try A-Rosa one of these days.

It is so nice when one finds the perfect fit for them when choosing a cruise line or a land-type vacation. We met a lady on our last Grand Circle trip that had done 31 trips with them :eek:. She vacationed every couple months, and Grand Circle was her "fit". Also have met some repeat cruisers on Viking that had taken 6 or 7 trips with them; they were so satisfied that they did not even want to try another line.

We leave on Thurs. for river cruise #17---miscounted in a previous post. Have been on AMAwaterways, G Adventures, Cruise West, Vantage, Viking and Uniworld.---have found Uniworld and AMAwaterways to be our real preferences. That said this trip will be with Road Scholar--only line on the Gironde in France right now. Our 2 cruises next year are the Mekong with Avalon--small boat and no Hanoi and the Irriwaddy with Grand Circle--only line that fit our time frame. As H20tstr says, many find one line and stick with it and others of us just pick what is available at the time we travel and the itinerary. We mostly cruise Aquarium class on the rivers, but like to have a balcony on the ocean lines. Good luck finding the right trip for you. We always travel with a cane seat--great for the times the guides stop to talk--can always take a breather with the seat. They can be found where golf and camping gear are sold.

Pat

...As H20tstr says, many find one line and stick with it and others of us just pick what is available at the time we travel and the itinerary..... Pat

That is how we travel as well. We have met some amazing people - and had such wonderful experiences - on all of our trips, so we look at all options available to us.

We realize that there are variables with each sailing (ie: CD, chef), so that when we experience something that isn't "just right" with "X" line, we are aware that it may be fine on the next cruise with that same company. Many here rave about the food on AMA - and, to be honest, it wasn't memorable when we sailed with them. But, I would sail with them again if the timing/itinerary/price was right.

It is great that there are so many options - and people can look for something that fits their travel style.

Fran

We realize that there are variables with each sailing (ie: CD, chef), so that when we experience something that isn't "just right" with "X" line, we are aware that it may be fine on the next cruise with that same company. Many here rave about the food on AMA - and, to be honest, it wasn't memorable when we sailed with them. But, I would sail with them again if the timing/itinerary/price was right.

Well stated.

I've learned long ago that a "one size fits all" approach to cruising just doesn't work.

There are also different experiences within each river cruise line. Comparing the newest ship with the latest bells and whistles to the oldest ship in the same line's fleet is not a valid comparison.

I've also learned that a large group onboard will affect the experience of any river cruise. What type of passenger mix is on the ship sailing on the next departure? Absent the large group, likely a very different experience.

Well stated.

I've learned long ago that a "one size fits all" approach to cruising just doesn't work.

There are also different experiences within each river cruise line. Comparing the newest ship with the latest bells and whistles to the oldest ship in the same line's fleet is not a valid comparison.

I've also learned that a large group onboard will affect the experience of any river cruise. What type of passenger mix is on the ship sailing on the next departure? Absent the large group, likely a very different experience.

The AMA cruise that we just completed had 4 groups on it, not just people getting together, but actual travel groups. There was the majority that booked with AMA, there was a very large group from APT, there was a group called Captains' Choice, and there was a large Road Scholar group. Some of these groups had their own group manager and also held separate meeting from the rest of us.

I have never been on a boat that had this kind of mixture of groups, only large groups of people who, on their own, decided to travel (and sometimes take over the boat :eek:).

Just as you can never "step in the same river twice"... no two trips will be alike or experienced the same way by different folks. We've traveled on our own and with groups and each trip has been special in its own way. My parents traveled with on a particular tour we'd recommended and had the same guide only to be disappointed.

Many people stay with the same company or tour groups because they have had great experiences. I enjoy reading about others experiences and different cruise lines to be a better informed 'consumer'. Although most of the time--it's itinerary, timing and cost that is the final decision maker for us.

The AMA cruise that we just completed had 4 groups on it, not just people getting together, but actual travel groups. There was the majority that booked with AMA, there was a very large group from APT, there was a group called Captains' Choice, and there was a large Road Scholar group. Some of these groups had their own group manager and also held separate meeting from the rest of us.

I have never been on a boat that had this kind of mixture of groups, only large groups of people who, on their own, decided to travel (and sometimes take over the boat :eek:).

How did these groups affect your ability to enjoy the cruise?

We have only travelled with Unworld and have enjoyed all of their cruises so far, so have not ventured into other lines. Did attend a Scenic information afternoon and was not impressed. But they must be doing something right or else they and the other companies would not be in business for long. Viking comes across as being okay, but nothing special.

As far as balcony or no balcony...we prefer not having one and being one level down. The cabin has a good sized picture window and a ledge about table height and maybe a foot wide. Great place to put stuff that gathers over time...maps, bags,cameras, etc. Much handier than a full size window / door to a wee tiny balcony. Would much rather be on deck watching both sides of the river.

Also something to consider is the location of the dining room. Did not like having cabin on the hallway leading to the dining room. Elephants tramping along to breakfast past my door. Save some money for spending and book a mid range cabin.

It also depends on the time of year you are planning on travelling :-)

Have fun and enjoy.

How did these groups affect your ability to enjoy the cruise?

No impact whatsoever. I enjoyed my cruise like I usually do :D, in spite of starting in the riots and ending in the floods :eek: :).

Archived