Cocktail Night

karpela

We are just back from the Equinox Venice Overnight cruise, 12 nights.

We expected 3 formal nights but had just 2 and a Cocktail Night.

My poor DH was in a real quandary all day, he had only bought a tux and for men it was a suit, shirt and tie.

He ended up wearing it and wasn't alone thankfully.

Not such a problem for us ladies as we usually take a selection of dresses.

Actually this whole cruise was very well dressed, even on smart casual nights.

We had a great time regardless, I just wished Celebrity would have let us know before we left home. It would have saved a whole day of DH worry!

My poor DH was in a real quandary all day, he had only bought a tux and for men it was a suit, shirt and tie.

We had a great time regardless, I just wished Celebrity would have let us know before we left home. It would have saved a whole day of DH worry!

Hi Adele.

DH was in the same position and was relieved to see others wearing a tux that evening. We mentioned it on our guest questionnaire but don't know if Celebrity will take note.

Agree with you - a splendid cruise.

Ann

I must be missing something or don't understand what the issue is. Is he upset because there was only 2 formal nights and he took a Tux and instead of a suit?

Then he should have been happy that he only had to wear it two nights instead of three.

We were on the April 30th Equinox twelve night Mediterranean sailing, and we also had two formal nights. Since that cruise was the second leg of a B2B and we would be spending some time in Spain before returning to Alaska, my husband didn't bother with a tux and just took a dark suit instead. Worked well for us.

I must be missing something or don't understand what the issue is. Is he upset because there was only 2 formal nights and he took a Tux and instead of a suit?

Then he should have been happy that he only had to wear it two nights instead of three.

No, he didn't have anything he considered appropriate for 'cocktail night,' whatever that is. I assume he thought the tux was too dressy and a suit or sport coat would have been better. I am just guessing. . .

No, he didn't have anything he considered appropriate for 'cocktail night,' whatever that is. I assume he thought the tux was too dressy and a suit or sport coat would have been better. I am just guessing. . .

Personally, I'd like every night to be tux nite....think how much easier it would be to pack, at least for us men. We'd look a heck of a lot better as well.....too many too casual.

Charles

Absolutely correct.

He actually went down to dinner first with just a smart shirt and trousers but felt terribly underdressed. The men that take a dark suit instead of a tux had it just right.

He went back up and changed into his tux and as I said previously, there were many others that did the same.

Hi Ann, lovely to meet you, if only briefly.

It was a lovely cruise.

Adele :)

Adding another category of dress code is just confusing and dumb. Of course I see no problem with wearing a tux on "cocktail night" - wear one every night if you want - but I can see why people may feel uncomfortable.

Once again I see this as a money making exercise by Celebrity - more outfits = more photos = more money. It will also drive more people into booking specialty restaurants so that they can go smart casual on these nights - again, more money for Celebrity.

Adding another category of dress code is just confusing and dumb. Of course I see no problem with wearing a tux on "cocktail night" - wear one every night if you want - but I can see why people may feel uncomfortable.

Once again I see this as a money making exercise by Celebrity - more outfits = more photos = more money. It will also drive more people into booking specialty restaurants so that they can go smart casual on these nights - again, more money for Celebrity.

The photographers were set up almost every night this cruise. Plenty of people seemed to be spending with them!

So then, what IS cocktail night?

Free or cheaper cocktails?

Standing around eating canapes?

If it is just "cocktails before dinner" and one has to pay regular prices, that is not a "special" night and should not be especially highlighted....

So then, what IS cocktail night?

Free or cheaper cocktails?

Standing around eating canapes?

If it is just "cocktails before dinner" and one has to pay regular prices, that is not a "special" night and should not be especially highlighted....

Exactly!

We didn't really get it. I think most people were confused by the name.

It didn't spoil our evening tho.

Just an excuse for another Martini!

Just a thought - Could this be a precursor to the bringing back of the "Semi-Formal" nights [previously removed], where the Ladies wore Cocktail and the Gentlemen a Suit, being in addition to the "Formal Night" [Tux]?

Would be "for" this!

I think it is clearer now.

There were 2 nights called formal nights instead of 3 as published on Celebrity's web site for that length of cruise.

Then there is a cocktail night that is not really a formal night. You are expected to dress up to attend for the free cocktails. Then after that you can go back to your cabin and change into smart casual or comfortable clothes for dinner because it is not really a formal night.

The alternative then would be to skip the free cocktails and not worry about not being dressed properly. Go to a lounge and have a drink without fighting the crowds and have what your would really like instead of what they serve for free. Plus the bars will be fairly empty so you will have choice of seats. Then the question is how many changed after that party to go dinner? If no one changed then would you still feel not being properly dressed?

So is it still basically another formal night that is called something else or a polite way of stating that if you want a free drink you have to dress for it?

I think it is clearer now.

There were 2 nights called formal nights instead of 3 as published on Celebrity's web site for that length of cruise.

Then there is a cocktail night that is not really a formal night. You are expected to dress up to attend for the free cocktails.

I missed something here but where are the free cocktails that require dressing up?

When we cruised on a Reflection cruise the cocktail night suggested attire was exactly the same as the formal attire. It's just the name that was changed to add confusion to a "simple" policy. ;)

I think "cocktail night" was another way of saying "semi-formal" and had nothing to do with cocktails, free or otherwise. Women may understand the term a little better... as in, "cocktail dress" vs an evening gown.

Personally, I miss the semi-formal nights. I liked the old way when it was formal (tux/gown), semi-formal (suit/cocktail dress) and casual (khaki with collared shirt/sundress) nights.

Just a thought - Could this be a precursor to the bringing back of the "Semi-Formal" nights [previously removed], where the Ladies wore Cocktail and the Gentlemen a Suit, being in addition to the "Formal Night" [Tux]?

Would be "for" this!

No this has been going on for some time. In my 2011 Holy Land cruise there were two formal nights and a cocktail night. Captains have the discretion to loosen the dress code and it is not uncommon for them to sometimes make one formal night a cocktail attire night on longer cruises. On my sailing it was a port intensive cruise and one of the three formal nights would have been on a port day; that particular night was designated cocktail attire. It is totally fine to still dress formally on that night (not sure why the OP's husband found this worrisome), but if one wanted they could dress less formally that night and still be in accordance with the dress code.

No this has been going on for some time. In my 2011 Holy Land cruise there were two formal nights and a cocktail night. Captains have the discretion to loosen the dress code and it is not uncommon for them to sometimes make one formal night a cocktail attire night on longer cruises. On my sailing it was a port intensive cruise and one of the three formal nights would have been on a port day; that particular night was designated cocktail attire. It is totally fine to still dress formally on that night (not sure why the OP's husband found this worrisome), but if one wanted they could dress less formally that night and still be in accordance with the dress code.

Many thanks for this lucid post - I will now start an unofficial dress code and make the "Cocktail Night" a "Semi-Formal" - A return to "Old School Cruising".

Who knows - It may catch on!;)

Maybe one day they will rename formal nights as cocktail nights to allow more variety and be more 'modern'.

I am worried that cocktail night will eventually become T-shirt advertising a brand of Vodka. Other nights T-shirts advertising a beer brand will become the norm which will be designated 'slob' nights.

Whatever dress code they have now or change to in the future is fine with me.

BUT they have to decide before I leave home and stick with that decision as I can't wear clothes I did not bring.

No free cocktails, but the dress code on the daily was cocktail dresses for the ladies and a suit and tie for the men. It did not say dinner suit.

If we had known my DH would have bought a suit either instead or as well as his tux.

It was the not being told in advance of our trip that upset him.

But also as I said previously, he put on his tux and a great night was had by all!

Can you confirm which nights the 2 formal nights and cocktail night are on? We are on the same cruise in October! TIA!

I think the cocktail night was after we left Livorno.

The 2 formal nights were on the first and second sea days.

We only had 3 sea days and the last one was our last night which is why they wouldn't have a formal night then.

[

I am worried that cocktail night will eventually become T-shirt advertising a brand of Vodka. Other nights T-shirts advertising a beer brand will become the norm which will be designated 'slob' nights.

Only on the Carnival Victory - So there is no need to worry!:)

No free cocktails, but the dress code on the daily was cocktail dresses for the ladies and a suit and tie for the men. It did not say dinner suit.

If we had known my DH would have bought a suit either instead or as well as his tux.

It was the not being told in advance of our trip that upset him.

But also as I said previously, he put on his tux and a great night was had by all!

Now it is becoming clearer. I was thinking that it was the night that the Captain's party or former guest party was held as it is usually the same day as a formal night and they wanted you to get dressed up for the party but it wasn't required for dinner.

Still wouldn't get upset over it. If I were expecting 3 formal nights and took clothing for 3 and then they didn't have the 3rd I would wear what ever I wanted. If I wanted to get dressed up for 5 nights I would do that also. There is nothing against dressing up, only dressing down. I have never heard anyone complain or be offended by someone being dressed up for dinner or the evening, but I have when they weren't dressed to the minimun requirements.

Archived