Have you ever left clothes behind-- on purpose?

Milvain

I did it too. Prior to last cruise I bought a few items, including heavy fleece jacket, cap, muffler, gloves, etc and left them. I'm wishing now I had include a note. Everything we stacked neatly by the trash/recycle bin.

One cruise, I intended to discard DH's loafers. He was done with them and we weren't bringing them home. I put them in the wastebasket. That night, we found the steward had retrieved them and left them on the table. Repeat the next night. :) He didn't want to take a chance we didn't mean to discard them. Finally I either saw him or left a note and he removed them so warning....... leave a note if you don't want to see the items again. :D

DW and I were on an 14 day cruise and the exact same thing happened to us, however on 2nd week of the cruise we saw crew members wearing my discarded clothing, and we were happy to see the clothing had a new life cycle.

• 1 month later...

I often use a trip as an excuse to clean out the underwear drawer & ditch them after one use-cleans out my drawer & leaves space in the luggage for the new stuff I get!

On land based trips we usually buy a cheap cooler when we start out & before we leave usually "set it free" at the hotel ice machine. Last trip we had unopened water bottles, paper plates, etc-a regular picnic kit. I left a note on it "I'm just back from an adventure & would love to join you on another-take me with you"

On the Statendam when that trip (or next upcoming) will include a visit to the "special project" school there were boxes for clothes and shoes in the Lido with a poster explaining about the project.

Can't count on that happening every cruise though! If it's awhile before they will visit their project port there's no room onboard to store those things. Or so I've been told.

Yikes , I doubt any steward or anyone else would be interested in a persons old stinky underwear or shirts . Gross ! I do usually leave things like small portable fan , LED tea lights , hats , windbreakers . Things all new or as new condition . I would think old dirty clothes should be thrown away if you don't want to take the home .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• Like 1

On our last quiz, DH accidently packed the wrong suit and brought an older one that was a bit snug. He suffered through 2 formal nights, then decided he was not bringing it home. He talked to the room steward who asked him to leave a note describing the items.

Ironically as we were disembarking, one of the stewards tracked down another passenger who had left behind a pair of jeans. Since there was no note, the were assumed to be forgotten and the steward followed him down the hall with them. Quite a laugh when the pax said he didn't want them anymore.

This is a land based cruise story,but parallels the story line of leaving behind clothing....we do leave behind clothing on every trip - it makes for a lot of empty suitcase room for all your new purchases as you travel! Sot here's a once in a lifetime story.....While in London, my husband had some "throw aways" (under shorts and jeans). After leaving the hotel, he found a convenient trash can to discard the items not worthy of leaving behind as "giveaways". They were wrapped in a double tied plastic bag and discarded into a streetside garbage bin. Five minutes after discarding them in the sidewalk garbage can, my DH realized he failed to check/empty the pant pockets. We raced back to the garbage can he put the throw away pants into. Once back, he "dumpster dived" into the streetside garbage can to retrieve his pants - he pulled out the plastic bag, opened it, discovered his "find" and we breathed a huge sigh of relief. Success was his - however to an audience of 10-20 street people, when he did his dumpster dive and retrieved a bag, which he then opened, and found his jeans, and to the shock of all the standerbys -checked the pockets and then pulled out $1,000 in cash DH had left in his "throwaway jeans" --- the shocked lookk of the "street people" who watched him "score" with his apparent random dumpster dive, was PRICELESS! (whew - to say the least!!)

• Haha 1

I did leave some clothing behind. After my luggage was lost in February I had to make a run to Walmart because I basically had nothing:eek:. I left behind a few pieces that I knew I'd never wear at home. I'm a chunky gal so I doubt if the crew could make use of the clothing. I took it to the front desk to put into the closet for people that have their luggage lost. Even though it wasn't to my taste it was nicer than anything else they had.

That is a good idea!!

I do understand what you are asking and say THANK YOU!!

I have never done that before, but have heard of others who've done similar and what happens is that you tell your Stateroom Steward and either the Front Desk or Neptune Lounge Concierge what you want to do and they will either themselves, or the Head of Housekeeping for your deck, take it to the Lost and Found and (after cleaning them of course, and keep them there for either an unlucky passenger's use (I say unlucky because if someone's luggage does not arrive before the ship departs........)

I believe that I would be correct also in stating that when the ship goes to a port of call where they have adopted the villiage, orphanage, school, or even something like after a disaster (read Haiti) they would donate the clothing in the Lost and Found.

Joanie

Yes, HAL is wonderful for this. When the Rotterdam called at Fanning Island, the ship donated many things such as mattresses. A passenger coordinated a donation program through CC roll call as well for both school and health supplies. The Rotterdam supported this and the person was able to solicit all the passengers for donations and many bought things in Hawaii to donate. A local delegation came onboard to accept the donations.

Do they really have a such a closet with clothes in various sizes donated by guests to be used by those who don't get their luggage?

When I was on the Veendam, I had to have all of my clothes put in the laundry at the same time due to a problem in my cabin. They do have various clothing sizes on hand for passengers having luggage/clothing issues. I was given two tops - a T-shirt, and a polo shirt, and a pair of pants, a package of "plastic underwear," some socks and a pair of slippers to wear until my laundry was returned the next day. I was told that I could keep the clothes if I wanted. I kept the T-shirt - it was an "On Deck for the Cure," one, but returned the other shirt and pants. I was told they keep clothes for purposes such as this.

Edited by luvcruisn'

• 5 years later...

Wow, I never thought about folks that didn't receive their luggage...and my parents were once some of them! Because of me!  I drove them to the airport with Dad's car and my single key for the car. This was probably the 80's, my car was a hatchback with only one key-Dad's car had a different key for the trunk & his keys were left safely at their house and this was before trunk releases in the car, so they took off without their luggage and borded the ship with no luggage and dressed to the nines (they used to wear the formal stuff to travel-go figure?) They could buy T-shirts on the ship, but spent the first day of their short cruise truly overdressed for the Carribean!  Oh, and somehow we got the luggage flown to the ship at the first port, but you can imagine how (not!) excited I was when the time came to pick them up at the airport after the cruise! But they didn't kill me!

We travel also with what we call "one more times"......It's anything that we are about to discard but has at least one more wear out of it.....I've been known to board with those favorite worn "kaki" pants and then toss them.....It helps with the luggage and it's a great way to get rid of old clothes.

But this has me thinking......Maybe there is a business opportunity to sell a personalized suitcase of clothes waiting for you in your stateroom......tuxes are rented, why not rent dress shirts, kakis, Bermuda shorts, blue blazer, polos.....and include new no return underwear!?

The baggage fees and the hassle of luggage helps get the business case working......Of course, the ship may be full of passengers "in uniform"....maybe not.

I did this on a land tour.  I’d lost a lot of weight so brought my too big clothes and left practically every item behind.  This was in Central Asia, not in cities.    Funny thing was I forgot to bring a belt and had to borrow one from one of my fellow travelers for the duration of the trip.

On 6/12/2013 at 5:47 PM, tamsocal said:

we have done this as well. Clothes & baby items. Pack n play was $49 to buy at walmart. $35 checked bag each way & then thought it would get banged up as well with baggage handling. We just bought one at destination. Donated it to a homeless shelter upon leaving. We have left clothes & shoes, beach toys, etc- we usually will ask our cain steward or hotel housekeeper if they are interested in any of the items. We have had half a case of water, beers, alcohol, juice boxes, etc- I usually check with them as I dont want to create more work for them to have to lug our unwanted items but also dont want to waste if someone can put to good use. The front desk at the Fairmont last trip was super excited to receive my unwanted drinks :). I told them to please not start drinking the alcohol while at work as I didnt want them to lose their jobs because of me 🙂

On crusies we have given bottles of wine, ETOH, etc to our cabin steward or to fellow passengers that were on back to backs.

Walmarts in major destinations like Hawaii stock and sell a high volume of inexpensive car seats, strollers, pack n plays, etc.  It is cheaper to buy and donate rather than risk travel damage to expensive baby items used at home. 

Same thing for beach chairs, snorkel equipment, toys. Hotels will donate the items or give to employees. Glad cruise ships do the same thing. 

On 6/12/2013 at 11:57 AM, AZNative2000 said:

IIRC, many months ago, a CC member stated that to avoid international baggage limit issues for an Alaska cruise, they arrived in Seattle two days early and visited Goodwill for most of the cruise wardrobe for their whole family. And after the cruise (and cleaning ... they had a Neptune Suite) they donated it all back. So, if you can donate the clothes onboard, that would avoid even having to carry any unwanted items off the ship.:)

Cheers!

Wow!  I can't imagine someone who can afford a Neptune Suite going to all this trouble over baggage fees.  

I appreciate the good intentions on display by some posters, but the utility or value of an item you wish to donate is not determined by the person making the donation (you), it is determined by the recipient.    

If you do not know - that is, have asked first and determined need and ability to manage physical items - that what you are leaving is useful to the person or organization you are leaving it for, do not leave it.  Period.   

All you are potentially achieving is the shifting of costs of disposal and mitigation of your unwanted items to another individual or organization.

My local animal rescue thrift store literally begs - has signs in the front window - asking people to not donate outside normal hours without staff reviewing the items first.

Their biggest montly cost in sky high cost of living Vancouver?  Not rent.  Not staff.  Garbage disposal.

Garbage disposal of unwanted items, donated outside normal hours, and not reviewed by staff, useless for resale, and nothing more than garbage people did not dispose of on their own, wasting the resources of a charitable status organization.   

It is the same effect with donated items that cruise lines and crew do not want and must dispose of, the waste of resources.

Please, donate items in a responsible manner, not a convenient manner. 

Its not too hard to ask first unless you are concerend that you wont get the answer you want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 8:49 AM, FlaMariner said:

But this has me thinking......Maybe there is a business opportunity to sell a personalized suitcase of clothes waiting for you in your stateroom......tuxes are rented, why not rent dress shirts, kakis, Bermuda shorts, blue blazer, polos.....and include new no return underwear!?

Someone actually pitched a very similar idea on an episode of "Shark Tank". They didn't get a deal (I can't recall why). I did find a short article about the company. I think it's an interesting idea but I think the cost of renting the clothing would exceed the cost of checking a bag so you'd be paying for convenience. 

37 minutes ago, clickchick said:

Someone actually pitched a very similar idea on an episode of "Shark Tank". They didn't get a deal (I can't recall why). I did find a short article about the company. I think it's an interesting idea but I think the cost of renting the clothing would exceed the cost of checking a bag so you'd be paying for convenience. 

I remember seeing that episode and wondering how it could possibly work. I envy anyone who can find clothing to fit without trying it on first; apart from t-shirts, I would never take a chance on renting (or buying) a garment from a website.