Breakaway Plus

Well, I for one would love to see an NCL ship homeport in Pt. Canaveral!

Tom

I would also but since they pulled one of the oldest ship from Pc don't see them putting a new ship there.. But how about think port canveral home port going up the east coast

Charleston Boston NYC Norfolk gsc

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't know that any lines put their top tier (newer) ships there, do they?

For me, at least, cruises out of San Juan are too port intensive. We REALLY prefer sea days - unless we're talking about ports we have yet to visit (which in the Caribbean are few and far between).

Tom

No, I don't think so. I want to say the "newest" ship home ported in San Juan is the Carnival Valor (December 2004), which I wouldn't classify as new at 8.5 years old.

Well, I for one would love to see an NCL ship homeport in Pt. Canaveral!

Tom

Maybe when the first Breakaway Plus ship arrives they can move the Sun back to Port Canaveral? It is one of the oldest ships in the fleet, but it would be better than what Port Canaveral has right now, which is nothing.

Since Norwegian now has NY set, it would seem likely to send the Breakaway Plus to either Miami or Port Canaveral..too bad they won't go to Port Everglades, it's a great port to leave from...BTY, when talking to an NCL rep about 3 weeks ago, he said the Breakaway Plus ships were going to be 200,000 tons, not 167,000 as first reported..I asked him AGAIN, and he said it was just decided to go for the first 200,000 ton ship in NCL history!! Don't know if this has any truth, and I'm not one to blurb false info...I was calling to find out about the Getaway..when we got to talking, he said he was REALLY looking forward to the Breakaway Plus, which was now going to be "our first 200,000 ton ship"..I said, "like the Oasis class in RCI?" he said, "yes"......I may be calling again soon for more info, and I'll see if I can confirm again...

Big Al

Move Epic to TX (since Norwegian will start sailing from there again in late 2014) then both Breakaway Plus ships to Miami, one do Eastern one Western. Getaway switches to longer cruises from Miami.

~Intrepid

Right on!!!

Living in Miami, that would be awesome!

We loved sailing from Port Canaveral, so I would endorse putting a ship back there. However, I wouldn't think a ship as large as the Breakaway Plus would be a good fit for that port. As others have suggested, perhaps with the new addition to the fleet a smaller ship will be freed up to return to PC.

With that said, I don't have any inside knowledge at all, but I'd love to see some additional mid-Atlantic embarkation options such as Baltimore or Norfolk.

Pt. Canaveral has been eyeing continued expansion. There have been talks that an Oasis class ship is in its future -- but that along with other rumors are just that at this point.

LINK

Tom

Hey Tom..for sure SOME CRUISE LINE is going to put another huge ship soon, be it RCI or Norwegian...RCI has the Anthem next, then 1 or 2 more Oasis class ships...I wonder if ONE of those will be close to anybody on this thread who lives not far from Port Canaveral,LOL....we know the Getaway will be in Miami, so maybe the Breakaway Plus in PC??? Nice article on your link..I know PC has been expanding and doing dredging work..why would they do that to get ready by Fall 2014 if if there was no larger ships coming in? Some ship is coming soon IMO and my prediction is one of the new Oasis ships...I think Anthem will be PE ....

I guess I an confused. How does anyone think the Breakaway Plus would make sense in PC when the Sun could not make a go of it.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

I don't think NCL really ever gave PC a chance... the Sun is 12 years old and when they brought it here, it was only for part of a year.

Carnival and RCI both have much newer/larger ships committed to PC. If NCL wants to invest by putting a newer ship here, and invest in marketing it, I suspect it would fare much better.

Tom

I don't think NCL really ever gave PC a chance... the Sun is 12 years old and when they brought it here, it was only for part of a year.

Carnival and RCI both have much newer/larger ships committed to PC. If NCL wants to invest by putting a newer ship here, and invest in marketing it, I suspect it would fare much better.

Tom

I agree from a marketing standpoint consumers always want the newest, most talked about, and everyone is clambering to be part of the new experience when researching a product.

Full time West Coast ship. Alaska in the summer and Mexican Riviera with the Occasional long trip to Chile the rest of the year

Pearl or Star would fit quite nicely on the west coast

Move Epic to TX (since Norwegian will start sailing from there again in late 2014) then both Breakaway Plus ships to Miami, one do Eastern one Western. Getaway switches to longer cruises from Miami.

~Intrepid

I would think this is a pretty good guess....

Makes sense to have both BP's out of NCL home Miami doing alternate itineraries. As for the Epic.... being one-of-a-kind, who knows....perhaps Texas, or the West Coast or Europe....

As for the Breakaway Plus growing to 200,000 GT's....why stop there?

Why not go enough larger than the Oasis Class to get bragging rights for the world's largest cruise ship?

The only question I have is, can Meyer-Werft build one that large at its current facility? After NCL's experience with STX on the Epic, I wonder if they would buy another ship from them....although part of the fault there was with NCL's former management...

Shes still 163,000 tonnes.

Page 35 http://www.meyerwerft.de/media/pdfs/pdf/Broschuere_UK_012013..pdf

For the tech specs.

Too big for Panama Canal so won't be on the West coast.

I reckon that after having two new Breakaway ships from East Coast they swap her with Epic, let Epic do year round from Miami and have her half European / half caribbean.

Full time West Coast ship. Alaska in the summer and Mexican Riviera with the Occasional long trip to Chile the rest of the year

Pearl or Star would fit quite nicely on the west coast

And the Star did that for years. The demand for Mexican cruises no longer supported it. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I'm thinking the Epic's split bathrooms are more acceptable in Europe, therefore that's where it will be going full time once all 4 Breakaway ships are in service. Which will mean one post-Panamax, one Panamax, and one pre-Panamax ships in Europe on a full time basis. One of which could be used for introducing new world itineraries.

The four Breakaways should have homeports in Florida during the winter cruise season, and New England and Seattle during the summer cruise season. I foresee Breakaway Pluses sailing from New York for both Bermuda and Florida itineraries,, a Breakaway from Boston for Bermuda, and the last Breakaway from Seattle during the summer cruise season. I foresee all four Breakaway and Pluses sailing from Florida during the winter cruise season. At least two sailing from Miami, the others from other Florida ports - there's plenty to choose from.

That leaves their smaller Panamax and pre-Panamax ships to sail from homeports NCL desires. Honolulu, LA, Houston, NOLA, etc.

Not necessarily... the Carnival Splendor was too large for the canal, so they sent it on a long repositioning cruise (three legs, something like 49 days) around Cape Horn.

Tom

Shes still 163,000 tonnes.

Page 35 http://www.meyerwerft.de/media/pdfs/pdf/Broschuere_UK_012013..pdf

For the tech specs.

I reckon that after having two new Breakaway ships from East Coast they swap her with Epic, let Epic do year round from Miami and have her half European / half caribbean.

Thanks for providing that fascinating link to Meyer Werft...the only question is, how long ago was that updated...plans for the B'way Plus may have changed since that was published.

As for the Canal....there are a couple of alternate ways to reach the West Coast, and besides, the new larger canal will be completed shortly...

Not necessarily... the Carnival Splendor was too large for the canal, so they sent it on a long repositioning cruise (three legs, something like 49 days) around Cape Horn.

Tom

Ya but it was moving to austrillia ... I can see ncl leaving a smaller ship in the west coast but not a new one...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for providing that fascinating link to Meyer Werft...the only question is, how long ago was that updated...plans for the B'way Plus may have changed since that was published.

As for the Canal....there are a couple of alternate ways to reach the West Coast, and besides, the new larger canal will be completed shortly...

It has a 2013 date on it.. Must be fairly recent as has Quantum and Anthem named .

Archived