Anyone else prefer side cabins over AFT & Forward?

Izzybeff

I've done 6 cruises now, 1 inside, 2 ocean view and 3 balconies. Of the 3 balconies, one was forward, one was aft and one was on the side. The side balcony got the most use. With the forward balcony, when the boat was really moving, it was too windy unless you sat down before the railing. It wasn't totally covered so if it rained, couldn't be used. It also got full sun so mid-day it was too hot to use.

AFT balcony, a lot of the same is true. Not covered except for right over the door, mid-day, too hot to use, if it rained, not usable. You could however sit out there no matter how fast the boat was moving.

The side balcony seems to be the most useful. Because it's completely covered you don't get full sun, you get very little rain unless it's really blowing from your side.

I think from now on we'll be sticking to inside cabins unless were in Alaska and then we will do a side balcony.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I figured those who love the AFT and Forward balconies will be happy to not have to fight with another to book them. I wanted to try an AFT just because a lot of people love them, I just don't see the appeal now.

I've never done an aft cabin because of the reasons you mentioned. I want shade (sun/rain) protection over my balcony. We do side mini suites with the bigger overhang. Most cruises are hot climate and the sun is just too hot baking down on the balconies usually.

We've had a side mini-suite (very first one on the Starboard side), an aft penthouse and an aft wrap on CCL. We have an aft corner balcony on RCI booked and a forward penthouse on NCL booked. We prefer the aft but wanted to try the forward PH because of the size of the balcony. We found we could use our aft PH balcony all the time and it was never too hot. It rained lightly one day and as long as we sat nearer the door we were fine. My only complaint is the aft wrap on CCL. Humongus balcony but not enough sun. As long as I have a balcony though, I 'd be happy anywhere on the ship.

I've done 6 cruises now, 1 inside, 2 ocean view and 3 balconies. Of the 3 balconies, one was forward, one was aft and one was on the side. The side balcony got the most use. With the forward balcony, when the boat was really moving, it was too windy unless you sat down before the railing. It wasn't totally covered so if it rained, couldn't be used. It also got full sun so mid-day it was too hot to use.

AFT balcony, a lot of the same is true. Not covered except for right over the door, mid-day, too hot to use, if it rained, not usable. You could however sit out there no matter how fast the boat was moving.

The side balcony seems to be the most useful. Because it's completely covered you don't get full sun, you get very little rain unless it's really blowing from your side.

I think from now on we'll be sticking to inside cabins unless were in Alaska and then we will do a side balcony.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I figured those who love the AFT and Forward balconies will be happy to not have to fight with another to book them. I wanted to try an AFT just because a lot of people love them, I just don't see the appeal now.

You are not alone. I had always wondered what the appeal was for an Aft. I recently got back in May from my first Aft penthouse and I can honestly say there were a few things I found rather annoying about it that over-ruled any things I may have found I liked! I highly doubt I will go back to an AFT unless there isn't another alternative. I know my reasons are purely my own opinions, but here you go:

1. The balcony wasn't that much bigger

2. The distance to stairs/elevators and venues was a bit longer than we usually book and prefer

3. Every morning our balcony chairs and table got wet from the deck washing in the early AM

4. There was some sooty/diesel/smokey smell on some days

5. You could only see where you had BEEN, not where you were GOING

6. Full on sun either in the AM or the PM kind of sucked

I will say, we didn't have much wind, we didn't have to worry about what side of the ship to book on to see the views, and we also had some privacy as we were on a corner AFT, but it really didn't outweigh for me the location issue, the sun isue, the water on my stuff issue, and the smokey smell.

I have yet to try a FWD, although I heard those can also be challenging due to having to keep blinds closed and lights off at night for the Bridge, and wind issues. However, those balconies do look really really big. I suppose I will need to try one out first before I levy judgement :D

I've been on three cruises, 2 mid ship balconies and one aft. I am leaning towards loving the mid ship balconies because there is less movement. I love the Aft view, but I don't like all the movement and noise that comes along with it.

In the past I have liked the forward balcony due to the larger size, this next cruise we are mid ship for cut down on the walking. Good points on the differences.

we just returned off of the Gem & our starboard side balcony was the 1st balcony we've ever booked. we loved it's location as it was right btwn the mid ship & fwd staircases. also, we were on the 10th deck, so it was easy access to the great outdoors (12th aft), spinnaker (13th fwd), blue lagoon (8th mid), grand pacific (7th aft) & the stardust lounge (6th/7th fwd).

definitely would opt for this location/cabin again!

We prefer sideview because we think that's so mucher better than aftview. Our next cruise will be in a suite with forward window and sidebalcony and I think that will be perfect for us!

Agree with you on the Forward cabins, too windy, lots of sun, have to close the doors and curtains at nite, the ceiling tiles shake everytime the door is open, the wind whistles in.

BUT, we had this on the Panama Canal cruise, which was the best place to be on the ship, while going through the canal. If we did the canal again, would have this cabin.

We have Aft Penthouses booked on our next 2 cruises, hear everyone likes those, will see. :);)

Archived