Must see in Amsterdam

Check the website of the Amsterdam tourist office for more details or special events during your stay.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experience

Most tourists make a canalcruise, visit the Anne Frankhuis (read the book before and make reservations online to skip the long lines).

Visit Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt etc.) or Van Gogh museum, or the Stedelijk (modern art). Of course there are more museums, you can find them on the link given above.

Walk along the canals, sit on one of the outdoor terraces (e.g. Rembrandtplein), have a drink and watch people. Rent a bike (but be aware of the traffic and the trams.)

If you still have time take a bus to Zaanse schans, see and visit the windmills. http://zaanseschans.nl/

Check the website of the Amsterdam tourist office for more details or special events during your stay.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experience

Most tourists make a canalcruise, visit the Anne Frankhuis (read the book before and make reservations online to skip the long lines).

Visit Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt etc.) or Van Gogh museum, or the Stedelijk (modern art). Of course there are more museums, you can find them on the link given above.

Walk along the canals, sit on one of the outdoor terraces (e.g. Rembrandtplein), have a drink and watch people. Rent a bike (but be aware of the traffic and the trams.)

If you still have time take a bus to Zaanse schans, see and visit the windmills. http://zaanseschans.nl/

thanks for the great advice!! We will be there for two nights!

Anne Frank House and a canal ride. Easy city to walk around and enjoy.

Dinner recommendation is to find a branch of a local chain called Humphrey's. They have a fixed price meal but you get to select from a number of appetizers, entrees, and dessert. Their menu changes monthly. Wine or beer is extra. Friends introduced us to Humphrey's and we always look forward to returning.

For a light snack stop at restaurant for a "tosti", is a toasted ham and cheese sandwich and a beer. Yum.

If you decide to go, get tickets in advance on the Internet. Saw people waiting in line for 2+ hours and we just went in the side door. Felt bad, but not willing to give up our tickets.

Glad we have ours booked!!

Anne Frank House and a canal ride. Easy city to walk around and enjoy.

Dinner recommendation is to find a branch of a local chain called Humphrey's. They have a fixed price meal but you get to select from a number of appetizers, entrees, and dessert. Their menu changes monthly. Wine or beer is extra. Friends introduced us to Humphrey's and we always look forward to returning.

For a light snack stop at restaurant for a "tosti", is a toasted ham and cheese sandwich and a beer. Yum.

thanks for the tip!! We will look for them!!

Anne Frank Huis is a must do but beyond sad. You can buy the book and have it stamped in the bookstore. If you only have time for one museum I recommend the Van Gogh museum. To see the expanse and evolution of his body of work and to consider his brief life and creative genius is a wonderful experience. A canal tour gives a nice overview of the city if you've never been before.

We enjoyed walking around over the bridges and all through the town. Going in the different "coffee" shops (great brownies!:D) We didn't walk down to the Red Light District, but we did a canal cruise and that went by it and the tour guide pointed out and told us interesting things.

We went to the Van Gogh Museum and a Diamond museum. We stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer on the canal and that was a nice experience.

Watch out for the bikes!!!

• 1 month later...
Looking for recommendations on 'must see' places in Amsterdam. Thanks!

My co-worker's husband is from Amsterdam (his family still lives there). We're going in September for 3 nights and 2 days after a Mediterranean cruise. Here's her list of what not to miss:

Canal tour, Rijks Museum, Pancake Bakery, Anne Frank Huis, walk in the Joordan, Kalverstraat/nieuwe dijk shopping, sit on Leidseplein for drinks, walk through the red light district, Westerlerk or Nieuwekerk (church's), and the Heineken experience.

My co-worker's husband is from Amsterdam (his family still lives there). We're going in September for 3 nights and 2 days after a Mediterranean cruise. Here's her list of what not to miss:

Canal tour, Rijks Museum, Pancake Bakery, Anne Frank Huis, walk in the Joordan, Kalverstraat/nieuwe dijk shopping, sit on Leidseplein for drinks, walk through the red light district, Westerlerk or Nieuwekerk (church's), and the Heineken experience.

Thanks for this advice. Is the "Pancake Bakery" the name of a specific bakery, or do you mean any pancake bakery? (Don't want to miss a good bakery!) :)

Thanks!

If you wonder, after walking around Amsterdam, what the inside of one of those dignified-looking canal houses looks like, there are a few that you can go into. My favorite is the Museum Van Loon at Keizersgracht 672, which seems more truly Dutch to me than the Willett-Holthuysen house museum at Herengracht 650, which is decorated in a French baroque style. To me it's always fun to go "backstage" in an area or lifestyle in which I will likely never live, and these museums allow this.

The Rijksmuseum is still one of my top museums ever, and I have been to many. I visited there 30 years ago and have never forgotten it. I love Dutch painters.

I also recommend Anne Frank's house, as so many others have.

I do not see the attraction of the Red Light district.

Archived