NEW PORTS-How many times can you go to Coz?

TNCruzer56

[quote name='Stallion']If you are tired of Cozumel-I suggest a tour around to the uninhabited side of Island. Its kind of like the difference between Honolulu and the North Shore in Hawaii. If you're so inclined the Bar Hop is great-drink(eat) as much as you want or don't[/quote]
The bar hop is a good alternative. We tried to do it on the Breeze in April and it was sold out by the time I tried to do it.:( I would love to spend a day on the other side.

[quote name='kwbound']Costa Maya and Playa de Carmen would both be closer to Coz than Progreso. You can take a ferry from Coz to PDC, so it would be really close for the ship to sail over to the mainland. And Costa Maya wouldn't be that much farther south. Or as another option on a 5night from Galveston:

Day 1 - sea day
Day 2 - Key West
Day 3 - Cozumel
Day 4 - sea day

That would be better than Progreso too.[/QUOTE]

Why all the hate toward Progresso?
I like it. Cozumel is getting a bit tedious.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forums mobile app

[quote name='skittl1321']Cause I want a Carribean cruise, not a Gulf one...

But going to Uxmal from Progresso was great...[/QUOTE]

If you look at it that way then yeah I guess Progreso is not an ideal destination.
However, its not that far from Cozumel. They are practically next to each other on the Yucatan peninsula...I would say 5 hour drive from Progreso to Playa del Carmen

So I am not sure what the difference between the far end of the southern Gulf vs North part of the Caribbean sea is. Cozumel is pretty much where the Caribbean sea meets the Gulf.

I have always enjoyed going to Cozumel. I never tire of white sand beaches with clear blue water. I'm sorry others don't feel the same. Remember, Carnival only takes you to places they feel are safe for their passengers. That limits the selection quite a bit. For me, Cozumel is great.

[quote name='webzila']Open up Cuba. I would cruise there.[/quote]
Maybe while your there you could visit my relatives who were thrown in prison for having a different opinion than the govt's . Take some food to them and go see the poverty that the dictator has given the people. Oh wait they will make sure you see no part of that. If your selfish enough to want to visit a island of torture , abuse then go ahead but I and many others will remember .;)

[quote name='Stallion']If you are tired of Cozumel-I suggest a tour around to the uninhabited side of Island. Its kind of like the difference between Honolulu and the North Shore in Hawaii. If you're so inclined the Bar Hop is great-drink(eat) as much as you want or don't[/QUOTE]

We did this and you are so right!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We loved Progreso, but didn't care for Cozumel at all. The cab fare in Cozumel was ridiculous, we'll never go back to that shopping district again, and there was no public beach to even relax on. We were very disappointed. The only good parts about Cozumel for us were the fajitas and snorkeling at Margaritaville.

no. It is Nassau. UGH. How many times have I been there..let me count the times..and how many have been good experiences..NONE.

Beginning to feel thatway about St. Thomas. Crowded. Like St. Marteen.

NEW PORTS. I WANT NEW PORTS. AND NOT ONES WHERE I FEAR FOR MY LIFE...AND/OR PURSE.

[quote name='repo-cruiser']Maybe while your there you could visit my relatives who were thrown in prison for having a different opinion than the govt's . Take some food to them and go see the poverty that the dictator has given the people. Oh wait they will make sure you see no part of that. If your selfish enough to want to visit a island of torture , abuse then go ahead but I and many others will remember .;)[/QUOTE]

Not everyone shares your opinion. Battista was worse. he was a VOO DOO addict..a miltiary thug....and Havanna under his regime was the most corrupt place on earth.

Castro...started out legal. he won an election for the Legislative and got thrown in prison for Five Years. He came out a communist.

When the Holy Father..the Pope of the Catholic Church went to Cuba and begged the USA to life the embargo on Cuba..that women and children were hurt.. I was incensed.
The USA has starved children..to placate those who took sides in the Battista ..Castro conflict. The Pope..sided with CAstro. Even celebratng a mass there.
I would think the Pope...would know. That is just my opinion. Cuban Refugees...Sugar Barons.have a monopoly on sugar is this nation. Sugar is so expensive here..that most candy companies are in Mexico.We have Corn syrupt put in a lot of our food..which rots our body..because two families...One from Cuba..and one from the Dominian Republic..Refugee.Immigrant..own enough USA polticans to keep the Sugar Darfar going. There is a big protest going on about it now online.
I would love to go to Cuba. it is like a mystery land we see in passing. AndI have no doubt Castro is an old crock. But the money he had..he spent it on his people. He does not have Swiss bank accounts..or so said the Swiss and the Pope. Battista...had them.

[quote name='TruckinMama']We loved Progreso, but didn't care for Cozumel at all. The cab fare in Cozumel was ridiculous, we'll never go back to that shopping district again, and there was no public beach to even relax on. We were very disappointed. The only good parts about Cozumel for us were the fajitas and snorkeling at Margaritaville.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]First of all I wish you had a great cruise as most of us wish you did. BUT I have to disagree with you about Cozumel and Progreso. Cozumel is a great port and a lot to offer, Progresso I remember that five mile pier and nothing to do at that end. But we took a long ride on a bus to the city and seen sites were not much to see. I would never go back to Progreso but that is to each their own. Only if we can take a cruise of ports we like that would be the perfect cruise.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='webzila']Open up Cuba. I would cruise there.[/QUOTE]I have visited about 7 times. The island has all the usual Caribbean attributes sun,sea and sand.The people are what makes it different, they have an indomitable spirit that has caused them to stay true to the revolution even when ring fenced by draconian sanctions since oct 1960.:)
[url]http://holidayplace.co.uk/holiday/deals/search?gclid=CPPjib2N8rcCFXDMtAodMSUAPA&destination=cuba[/url]

We are with the "Cozumel, been there, done that" group and ALWAYS seek new ports. The itinerary determines our trip/ship. That is how we ended up on the Freedom soooooo many times (all totally different itineraries-see signature). Our goal is to hit all of the ports at least once.

Note - Freedom had a great trip to Panama including Costa Rica and others (12/08). I don't know why it was discontinued. We LOVED that Christmas trip! Our next Caribbean trip is from San Juan (which is new to us) and will include all new ports for us with the exception of St. Thomas.

[quote name='TNCruzer56']Saw the 014-015 schedule and AGAIN...nothing new.

We`re plat but trying RCI for Something New.[/quote]

I love Cozumel. been there A LOT (including on a cruise with RCL). I go there and do something different every time. I asked my brother if he wanted to do western or eastern Caribbean for our next cruise, and he said western, he wants to go back to Cozumel. RCL goes to the same islands as carnival...good luck

[quote name='cruise_girl2002'] RCL goes to the same islands as carnival...good luck[/quote] Really...

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][B]Santa Barbara de Samana[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial], Dominican Republic[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][B]Saint Croix[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial], Virgin Islands[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][B]Fort-de-France[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial], Martinique[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][B]Roseau[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial], Dominica[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][B]Cartagena[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial], Colombia [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][B]Kralendijk[/B], Bonaire[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='nrrice']Exactly I don't know why Carnival keeps going there. There is nothing to do there. I would rather go to Progreso then Belize.[/quote]

Belize is a trendy exotic destination. People will book a cruise just to go there. We loved the River Wallace and Mayan ruins excursion. I'd love to go back when the kids are older and try cave tubing or something more adventurous. I would like more unique destinations, rather than safe and boring.

We see Cozumel as a relaxing beach day to break up tour days, but I'd love to hear more about touring the other side of the island.

Re Nassau -- On a day too cold for the beach, we did a walking tour of the city and took the ferry to Paradise Island to see the cloisters. I would go back only as one stop on an otherwise interesting itinerary. The Bahamas are appealing as a destination for first-time cruisers.

I expect to eventually run out of Carnival destinations and start trying other cruiselines, when I don't have to pay for three children to come along with me. Martinique is on my must-see list. I have also heard than Dominica is beautiful.

[quote name='TNCruzer56']Saw the 014-015 schedule and AGAIN...nothing new.

We`re plat but trying RCI for Something New.[/quote]

They go to Cozumel too.
Next time you go to Cozumel, rent a car and drive to the windward side of the island. It's barren there and the water is rough but you can have a peaceful day at the beach and no one will be there to bother you. There are also some reastaurants, Like Puerta Moreno, there where you can stop and enjoy refreshments and lay on the beach.
The car rental is between $50-$100 depending on what type vehicle you need. They give you a map of the island too, so you can make a cirlce tour of the island on your own. You will pass the Mayan ruins and can go through the main city on the island and end back near Puerta Langosta or the International Pier. It's not Mr Sanchos or any of the private beaches but it is different.:) I would not recommend renting a scooter. We have seen bloddied people from scooter accidents almost everytime we are in Cozumel, locals and tourists.

Archived