Just curious about posting

cattolica

Just curious.

Having been a member for a very long time, back when I joined I was able to glean some pretty good information. It seems that now there is a lot of arguing, back talking and one liners which don't help when trying to find answers or information.

Am I the only who spends time trying to get valuable information from the various threads only to find I have to wade past all the arguing and one liners that don't answer questions or provide information? It seems like there are a few select members who are just spending time trying to get their thread counts to increase.

I was getting so frustrated that I finally looked at one members post history......over 90 posts in a day and a good percentage where just one liners.

Isn't it time for the moderators to contact some of these members and ask them to post only when they have information to add to the thread rather than just the one liners?

This is the forum part of cruisecritic, which I think is a good place for people who enjoy talking about cruising to share information and opinion, and to discuss and debate about their likes and dislikes on cruising.

Just curious.

Having been a member for a very long time, back when I joined I was able to glean some pretty good information. It seems that now there is a lot of arguing, back talking and one liners which don't help when trying to find answers or information.

Am I the only who spends time trying to get valuable information from the various threads only to find I have to wade past all the arguing and one liners that don't answer questions or provide information? It seems like there are a few select members who are just spending time trying to get their thread counts to increase.

I was getting so frustrated that I finally looked at one members post history......over 90 posts in a day and a good percentage where just one liners.

Isn't it time for the moderators to contact some of these members and ask them to post only when they have information to add to the thread rather than just the one liners?

Sometimes it only takes one line to answer a question.

The ones that I think are time wasters are the ones who simply say Welcome to Cruise Critic, but they don't say anything else.

My pet peeve is on CC Roll Calls.....

The purpose is for members to get to know their fellow cruisers on a particular cruise for sharing knowledge that will help each other, to plan group activites both on board, and ashore, and other relevant sharing.

All admirable useage.

What disturbs me is when a few members treat the Roll Call as their personal "chat room", talking about totally irrelevant things in their daily lives that have no bearing whatsoever to the cruise, and just clutter the thread, making it hard to find relevant and pertitnent posts.

The only advantage of all this is it tends to keep the thread near the top...

We see 3 primary areas on CC. First we have the Cruise Line forums that are predominated by "cheerleaders" who can find nothing wrong with their favorite (and often only) cruise line and the others who try to post their opinion despite being constantly flamed by the cheerleaders. Then we have the Roll Calls which can sometimes be a great area to get together for private tours.....but sometimes degenerates into discussions like "my dog got sick" "my cat has hairballs" etc. And then there are those that want to organize Meet and Greets where they do gift exchanges, skits, etc.

And finally we have the port boards (were we have posted thousands of comments) which might be the most honest of all the threads. This is a great place to learn about the options for each of your ports, who runs good private excursions, how to do things on your own (my speciality), etc.

So, as very experienced travelers and long time cruise critic posters (we go back to the very first day.....and to the old AOL and Prodigy boards before CC) we do most of our postings on the port boards (especially Europe) and just laugh our way through the cruise line boards. As to the Roll Calls, it is hit and miss depending on the specific cruise.

Hank

I, too, have belonged here for a very long time.

I try to answer questions -- in detail.

I am not one of those people who "visit" all the cruise lines and say just one line knowing that I have never sailed on that line.

Yes -- I am on HAL most of the time because we have spent the last few years sailing on them -- but I am not a cheerleader and -- yes -- I do get flamed when I "tell it like it was for us on a cruise". I used to do "Live" reports and reviews when we got home - not anymore.

I do like to Welcome new people and try to guide them via links to information that will help them.

I no longer join Roll Calls -- not interested in the small chit-chat -- the gift giving -- the games -- the cabin crawls.

Remembered something -- I have noticed that some people use the word "delete" an awful lot.

Most questions are answered with 3-8 posts on a given thread.

Some threads wander. Some posters have issues, big and small.

Some people ask for opinions---even when they don't really want ....opinions.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and internet forums.

I try to be helpful.

I attempt to answer the same question over and over because I know that although it is 'old news' to me, it is brand new to the person who asked. I also admit to being social on the boards. After being around here so long, it is impossible to not form some sort of 'acquaintanceship' with others who are regulars. It makes the boards more fun for some of us. I do take note you have been here since 2000.... a longer time than me. :)

For me, the next best thing to cruising is talking about cruising and I enjoy coming here and posting often.

Hopefully, there will be a day I can assist with some information you are seeking, OP.

I certainly will try.

I believe that there is still a great deal of good information to be learned on CC. I know I have received lots of excellent advice when I ask questions.

Although sometimes you can answer a question in one line, there are some posts that make me shake my head and wonder if there is some kind of a prize for making posts that really don't say anything.

Answering a question, may turn into a debate, I see that alot. Some questions don't look serious enough to only get one liners. May have to read between the lines on those. I read through threads that catch my attention to see if something happened on a line that I may have missed. As someone who cruises often their information should be credible, however I do see where you are coming from about cheerleaders though. Seasoned cruisers should help not demean newbies.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

My pet peeve is on CC Roll Calls.....

The purpose is for members to get to know their fellow cruisers on a particular cruise for sharing knowledge that will help each other, to plan group activites both on board, and ashore, and other relevant sharing.

All admirable useage.

What disturbs me is when a few members treat the Roll Call as their personal "chat room", talking about totally irrelevant things in their daily lives that have no bearing whatsoever to the cruise, and just clutter the thread, making it hard to find relevant and pertitnent posts.

The only advantage of all this is it tends to keep the thread near the top...

Yes that is making me crazy on a roll call I am on now. The cruise is almost 2 years away and it is a monster already. I know in the beginning they were excited because it us a new build coming out. The roll call is so huge I can not imagine where they will joystick the meet and mingle.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Also, and im little surprised you didn't throw this in, what I find fustrating is when a post falls off the topic of a thread. Then a that point I would like to see the thread dropped at least or closed down. My opinion anyway. Just agreeing with you and trying to stay on topic.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Thank you very much for your responses. I really did mean "one liners" that don't really have any purpose. I do realize that great information can be contained in one sentence.

When I first joined cruise critic it was a very helpful site where I learned a lot and formed wonderful friendships.

Now I hesitate to post even if I have valid and possible good information as I seem to get berated when I do.

Today I just got a little frustrated while visiting one the sections for a specific cruise line. It was for a line that we have not sailed in many years. I was just trying to refresh my memory and learn what might have changed. It took forever to get through to information that was helpful.

I, too, no longer join the Roll Call when we cruise. It is very hard to join in if it has been going for months if not years.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Yes that is making me crazy on a roll call I am on now. The cruise is almost 2 years away and it is a monster already. I know in the beginning they were excited because it us a new build coming out. The roll call is so huge I can not imagine where they will joystick the meet and mingle.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's exactly why I don't get involved in roll calls...:(

Some of them get real cliquey real fast!!!

I want to cruise, not join 'Mean Girls' in progress!!!:D

Ive never had any problem with roll calls. If they get too boring I tune out for a month or so and then come back. Far from people being managerial I find that I'm always asked to get the M&G going, which I've done when I can.

I skip over the one liners.

My pet peeves are long signatures that say "my cruise was purrrrfect" or something equally gigantic- I don't want to turn off signatures because they often show a large part of the puzzle. I'm not going to give an answer to someone as though he has never cruised if his signature shows 20 cruises.

The worst is when a few people have banded together to shut down all voices so that only a few of them ever converse. A new voice or two will be heard but only so long as they don't overstay their welcome. This is what the HAL board is currently suffering from. Many long threads will have the same four or five people talking to each other. I've seen others come along, only to leave limping. I had to walk away.

I guess I must just go on the right cruises. I have never had a problem with the Roll Call and must have participated in 25 or so over the years. There are almost always people planning private tours. Our last cruise had nearly 100 private tours at last count.

Hlitner, Krazy Kruisers, Sail7Seas and others pretty much hit this on the head.

When you are looking for information, one liners or as I call them FP's (frivoulous posts) can be frustrating.

You have to keep a smile on your face, learn to laugh and learn to skip or skim.......

Funny how the typical one liner's haven't responded to this.

Hank I might add if you cat gets furballs.......that can be very serious:D

Welcome, This should be posted in the ---- thread... These are worthless posts that really get my goat. If you can't add something helpful, move on.

Also have to say roll calls have gone in the toilet. Refuse to even look anymore.:(

Love the wealth of information that can be gathered here and thank you to the wonderful people that have knowledge to share!!!:D

Ok, after reading the last post we have to say something good about Roll Calls. Although they often are worthless....they can really be valuable on the longer more exotic cruises. When used as a place to get together with other cruisers to share private excursions...it is a good thing. Last year we took a 62 day cruise that stopped in 23 ports of 13 countries. One of our shipmates organized tours in nearly every port, and from what we heard from other cruisers these were great tours at a fraction of the cost of the HA excursions. We ourselves took 1 of those private excursions (in a place where we could not possibly do anything on our own) and it was great.

Hank

I think it worthy to add that if it is kept to strict, rigid monotonous info only posts permitted, few of us long time, experienced cruisers would return daily/weekly to answer questions we know backwards and forwards and to provide suggestions based on our long time experience. If there isn't any fun, why would we come? (Ha,,, I didn't mean to make a rhymn but had fun doing it? :) )

This isn't a for credit college class, it has to have a social component, IMO.

And keep in mind, we are all very fortunate to have this resource at NO COST to us. You have nothing to lose by scrolling through a few surperfluous posts. Just pass on by.

• 1 month later...

OK, no one has been on this thread for over a month, so perhaps I will not get an answer here, but since it seems several of you have been with CC for ages, can you tell me...

What is the deal with "post counts?" There must be some reason why people care about them, why posters seems to want to have a high count, and why thread participants want their threads to have high post counts. Is there some sort of prize or notoriety involved?

I have read comments accusing posters of simply wanting to get their post count up.... why would people want a high post count?

Thanks!

OK, no one has been on this thread for over a month, so perhaps I will not get an answer here, but since it seems several of you have been with CC for ages, can you tell me...

What is the deal with "post counts?" There must be some reason why people care about them, why posters seems to want to have a high count, and why thread participants want their threads to have high post counts. Is there some sort of prize or notoriety involved?

I have read comments accusing posters of simply wanting to get their post count up.... why would people want a high post count?

Thanks!

Some folks just have strange egos and care about such things. I guess some of those folks are famous in their own minds :)

Hank

Welcome, This should be posted in the ---- thread... These are worthless posts that really get my goat. If you can't add something helpful, move on.

Also have to say roll calls have gone in the toilet. Refuse to even look anymore.:(

I rarely post. I have been a member for many years. Although I am an experienced cruiser, I have no reason to post, as there are an abundance of "know it alls".

More than roll calls have gone in the toilet.

Enough said.

I rarely post. I have been a member for many years. Although I am an experienced cruiser, I have no reason to post, as there are an abundance of "know it alls".

More than roll calls have gone in the toilet.

Enough said.

Hmmm. If "know it alls" means I (and others) are guilty of helping folks seeking detailed info....then we do plead guilty. A majority of our posts are on the Ports of Call boards where we can give lots of help to those who want to avoid overpriced excursions and go off on their own. An "abundance" of posters (as you call it) does help keep posters honest :). When I post something that is incorrect (it does happen...with things like train schedules, bus line numbers, etc) there are some others that will quickly correct me.....which is a good thing. It is because of these "abundance" of posters that cruisers can have a pretty good assurance of getting accurate info.

Come on over and read the various Port Europe boards where folks can get nearly all their questions answered including some obscure things like where to find a Laundromat in Civitavecchia (this gets ask a few times a year), why a BIRG ticket makes sense, how to purchase and validate a train ticket, etc. You might be amazed at how many cruisers do not want to spend hundreds of dollars per day for the overpriced cruise line excursions.

Hank

Archived