Paying for excursions in Mexico

love2sailaway

I am cruising on the Carnival Triumph to Progresso and Cozumel Mexico. I plan on using local tour agencies and taxis to get around. Does anyone know if a credit card is accepted by most in Mexico or should I bring pesos? If I need pesos, how is the best way to exchange US dollars for pesos?

Thanks to all that reply!

You will need to ask the vender if they will accept credit cards. Generally, credit cards are widely accepted in Mexico. The individual vender may even accept dollars.

As always, ATMs are the best place for local currency.

Agree the best place for your research is the Cozumel board.

As one who lives in Mexico for 2 months a year....we would caution about the use of credit cards in Mexico. Be very careful as there are too many instances of credit card fraud and stolen numbers. While we do sometimes use our credit cards in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) we tend to minimize their use and rely mostly on cash we obtain from ATMs. In your ports, US Dollars will be generally accepted by everyone....although we personally like to use Pesos in most places. Some Mexican merchants will accept your dollars, but give you a lousy exchange rate (often as low as 10:1).

One other very important step is to notify your credit card companie(s) and ATM issuing bank of your trip itinerary (before you leave home). This helps prevent problems related to special security measures imposed by these companies.

Hank

Archived