Spirit outdoor and indoor seating areas?

T&C Fulham

Thanks for that info. Most useful.

Before this thread comes to its conclusion can someone wise me up on this please:-

but it certainly made me sad that Seabourn is selling the triplets.

This will be our first ever cruise. Are you saying that having found Seabourn they are about to sell up?

T&C

Seabourn have sold the three smaller ships, Pride, Legend and Spirit to Windstar. The Pride leaves next spring and the other two in spring 2015. They retain the newer, bigger ships, Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn and there is talk of another new ship, very slightly bigger than the remaining three.

We will miss the little triplets but are looking forward to enjoying the bigger ones. They have 450 passengers, so still small in the great scheme of things. Don't worry, Seabourn will continue!!

sold the three smaller, older ships to Windstar.

Windstar was our other alternative when we booked the Spirit.

My reading suggested that it is a well run operation. I am sure I will prefer the smaller 200 passenger vessels to the larger ones you say Seabourn are concentrating on - so maybe it is not the problem it might seem at first sight?

T&C

sold the three smaller, older ships to Windstar.

Windstar was our other alternative when we booked the Spirit.

My reading suggested that it is a well run operation. I am sure I will prefer the smaller 200 passenger vessels to the larger ones you say Seabourn are concentrating on - so maybe it is not the problem it might seem at first sight?

T&C

Just try out the Seabourn ethos and service - and then see what you think....

Just try out the Seabourn ethos and service

Which, indeed, we are doing. And you hint trying the Windstar range might be a bit of a let down?

Sorry to sound naive. I am a total new boy when it comes to cruise holidays.

Wkindstar is a very good product but it is not Seabourn. For one thing it is not all inclusive so you will pay for every drink and glass of wine. Also tips are not included. Seabourn is special in the way passengers and crew relate to one another. Remember Windstar bought the ships, not Seabourn's policies. That said, I'ms sure it will be a very nice experience.

Thanks wr,

I learn something every day.

When I was booking our upcoming trip through a UK agent that was never explained.

What a mine of knowledge this forum is.

I guess the next question must be how as to what are the pluses and minuses are of the 200 to 400 vessels that Seabourne are moving to?

Thanks wr,

I learn something every day.

When I was booking our upcoming trip through a UK agent that was never explained.

What a mine of knowledge this forum is.

I guess the next question must be how as to what are the pluses and minuses are of the 200 to 400 vessels that Seabourne are moving to?

I prefer the larger ships ......

1. Suites have proper verandas

2. Greater choice of restaurants and bars .... four of each

3. Three pools including Spa

4. Much more public space

5. Seabourn Square

6. Much better gym

Twice the number of passengers but three times the amenities.

I agree with wripro's comments. I cruised on Windstar's Wind Surf about a year and a half ago and had a lovely time. To pay for my drinks, I added on Windstar's beverage package. It was made clear to us, also, that gratuities were expected. I'm not ruling out Windstar in future, because I prefer small ships, but I wouldn't expect the level of service and cuisine that I experienced on Seabourn.

Thanks Roxb,

All good points.

But can they still get into the smaller ports.

What has sold me on the Spirit is the itinerary of more unusual stopovers.

T&C

T&C .. you need to look at each itinerary on its merits and decide if it works for you.

The short answer is no. In the first place 450 is still small by cruise ship standards. In the second place in many of the smaller ports even the little sisters often anchor and tender passengers to shore so no difference there big or little.

I personally favor the small ships though there are some pluses for the bigger ones. To me the primary attraction of the little ships is the level of intimacy. With less than half as many passengers you run into the same people over and over again and so it is much more conducive to striking up a conversation. I also think the crew is generally happier on the small ships ( less walking among other things) and obviously the happier and less stressed they are the better and more personal the service is.

I will throw in my 2 cents worth too.:eek: Using an un scientific approach, we arrive at my purely subjective opinion. We sailed on the Spirit in the Med in mid October. The outdoor spaces were adequate for the not so warm changeable weather at that time of year. The indoor spaces, especially the Observation Lounge, were most welcome and enjoyable. The weak spot in the little sisters has always been the pool, sundeck areas. The pool is a total afterthought down between the twin funnels. The droning noise of the diesels at this location plus the lack of sunlight and lack of any view makes the pool area (again, IMHO) completely useless. On sunny, warm days, there was competition for decent outdoor seating. It was nearly a full passenger load so there is only barely adequate outdoor seating for everyone. The beautiful pictures posted show the forward hot tub. Usually private but when you are seated or in the tub, the only view is the steel bulkheading of the bow area. To have any view at all in this area you must stand. Also, if there is no breeze, it can get very warm in this steel basin.:eek: Now, we had a great cruise. As good food and service as we have had anywhere. If we were doing any area with mixed weather, we would not hesitate to sail on the Spirit again. However, we would not sail Spirit in the Caribbean for all the reasons just expressed. SeaDream is by far the better choice for outside pool, lounging, bar areas. Again, just my humble opinion-not trying to start a war.:D With that said, we would not sail SeaDream in the Med or any other variable to cool weather location because the indoor spaces on SeaDream are very limited compared to the Spirit. So, I am sure this is all clear as mud.:eek: For us it is SeaDream in the Caribbean, Seabourn for Europe.:D

We are sailing the Pride in Sept around the British Isles, and SeaDream I in Dec in Costa Rica. So it appears I have made the best choices. Rather smart of me, wasn't it?;)

Wkindstar is a very good product but it is not Seabourn. For one thing it is not all inclusive so you will pay for every drink and glass of wine. Also tips are not included. Seabourn is special in the way passengers and crew relate to one another. Remember Windstar bought the ships, not Seabourn's policies. That said, I'ms sure it will be a very nice experience.

I'm very fond of Windstar, and I've never equated an alcohol-included policy with luxury (having stayed in some dreadful all-inclusive land resorts). Having said that, IMO Windstar is not on the same level of cabin, service and food as Seabourn. That difference was usually reflected in a lower cruise fare on Windstar. However, the pricing for the Windstar Pride next year is at Seabourn levels, which makes no sense. I was planning to try the Windstar Pride next May to contrast it with our upcoming Seabourn Pride sailing this September. But not at those prices.

Over quite a few years, we sailed almost 100 nights on Windstar, but have not sailed on them since 2003. When we started sailing on the line, it really was like sailing on your own private yacht in terms of service, quality of food, lack of policy regarding bringing alcohol onboard, etc. Of course, the prices were higher and the costs were justified by the product. By 2003, there had been major changes and, although the service continued to be excellent and we loved the small ships, everything else had changed dramatically and it was no longer our cruise line of choice.

In many ways, SeaDream was close to the "old" Windstar. However, we like longer itineraries that do not have to be booked as back to back cruises. SeaDream might be moving that direction for some cruises. Another SeaDream cruise could be in our future plans.

We also loved our cruise on the Seabourn Odyssey. Once we have sailed on the smaller Seabourn ships at least one more time, if the right itinerary comes up, we will happily book another cruise on one of the larger Seabourn ships.

wripro, Once there are more itineraries/dates loaded, we plan on booking another cruise on either the Spirit or the Legend. We already have our deposit in place. Our next two cruises are already booked on other lines as they are "family" cruises and our family, including grandchildren, and the smaller Seabourn ships are not a good match.

T&C, you will have a great cruise!

CommodoreDave,

I do not understand Windstar's pricing either. Pay more, get less!

It may be a cynical attempt to capitalise on Seabourn cruisers who want to stay with the triplets and who do not realise that they will get less.

CommodoreDave,

I do not understand Windstar's pricing either. Pay more, get less!

Or looking at it another way it tells us what fantastic value Seabourn is and it just might be a bit too cheap at the moment,so get booking everyone,it's a no brainer.:)

Archived