Worst table companion you have had

My story is sort of in reverse. At embarkation everyone noticed this older couple. You couldn't help but notice them! She must have had at least five facelifts and spent a lot of time in tanning booths. Her makeup was just loaded on her face, complete with false eyelashes and her hair was platinum blonde and done up in a topknot on the top of her head, with two chopsticks through it. She was wearing a ton of costume jewellery in vivid colours that clanked when she walked. - she had an off-the-shoulder blouse on and while her face had been lifted - well, the rest hadn't. Her husband had a long white ponytail, an earring and was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts - if anyone saw "Meet the Fockers" he reminded me of an older version of Dustin Hoffman's character. That night at dinner we were seated at a table for 6, but only four of us had arrived. We were introducing ourselves and when we looked up - guess who was approaching our table as the last two! The four of us just sat there wondering what we were in for. They sat down and introduced themselves and right then and there I learned a great lesson - never judge a book by it's cover. They were the most friendly, entertaining, wonderful couple you could ever meet. They had cruised everywhere! Amazing stories, great conversation, super sense of humour. Every night was another party at our table. We were always the last out of the dining room because we couldn't get enough of these two! I was ashamed of myself for my first impression and have tried to remember that! Every cruise I take I find myself looking around, hoping to see them again!

I love this story!

I don't cruise often, but when I have I've always had great table mates except one and that was my own doing. My sister and I cruise together and we like to do active things in port, so we signed up for a hike. An older lady had trouble on the hike and had to be taken back to the bus. She couldn't keep up with us and was finding the terrain difficult to navigate. Later, at lunch on the ship, we spotted her eating all alone and invited her to join us. That was a mistake. The rest of lunch she provided us with a running commentary on every person who passed by. She pointed out everyone who was more than a pound overweight and commented on how much food they had on their plates. She commented that many of our fellow cruisers would have been better off going to the gym than eating lunch. Finally, she looked at us and said she was going to have something that we shouldn't: dessert. When she got up to get it, we escaped.

Debbie

There were six of us cruising together and we often went to the dining room for breakfast. One morning we were asked if we would sit with others and agreed to join a table for 10. My husband has no sense of smell (olfactory cancer), but as soon as we were seated (me next to one of those already seated), I almost had a gag reflex from the body odor.

Unable to think of a way to escape, I used hand sanitizer, lotion and a wet wipe trying to get through it. When my husband said he might have a bloody mary, I thought I was in for the long haul, but one of the others reminded him of our excursion departing soon.

The offending passenger -- an older woman from NY -- was well dressed and appeared clean. I guess her husband had grown used to it.

Funniest part was I thought I was the only one close enough to be bothered by it. As we were leaving (well out of the woman's earshot), the other four started deep breathing to make up for holding their breath during the meal.

There were six of us cruising together and we often went to the dining room for breakfast. One morning we were asked if we would sit with others and agreed to join a table for 10. My husband has no sense of smell (olfactory cancer), but as soon as we were seated (me next to one of those already seated), I almost had a gag reflex from the body odor.

Unable to think of a way to escape, I used hand sanitizer, lotion and a wet wipe trying to get through it. When my husband said he might have a bloody mary, I thought I was in for the long haul, but one of the others reminded him of our excursion departing soon.

The offending passenger -- an older woman from NY -- was well dressed and appeared clean. I guess her husband had grown used to it.

Funniest part was I thought I was the only one close enough to be bothered by it. As we were leaving (well out of the woman's earshot), the other four started deep breathing to make up for holding their breath during the meal.

That's terrible! I'm surprised you were able to swallow your breakfast! And I'm sorry, but who gets used to that? I mean, come on you have to start off not being used to it before you get used to it! LOL

Agree, Osnab. There had to be some point when he was like me...unless of course, he had a problem similar to my husband's. Even then, you'd think friends and family would say something. Can't imagine living with the odor and not insisting on its elimination the first time it was noticed (and each time thereafter).

=]

Agree, Osnab. There had to be some point when he was like me...unless of course, he had a problem similar to my husband's. Even then, you'd think friends and family would say something. Can't imagine living with the odor and not insisting on its elimination the first time it was noticed (and each time thereafter).

=]

Colostomy bag?

This has been a great thread to read. Lots of (in hindsight) fun and interesting situations. I hope DW and I have never been a reason for someone else to change! And I think not, so far.

On our first cruise, which I had won through an employer contest, we all made up about half of the ship. Our huge group (in the hundreds) made up the entire first seating dinner. So our table mates were other people from the company. We were from the Midwest and they were from California. We were at a table for 4. And we were all about the same age. DW and I were married but I believe they were just dating. Even though we should have had somethings in common, they didn't engage in conversation much. And then they stopped coming to dinner and so it was just the two of us. Some others from our group that we met originally at the airport had much better groups. One was at a table for 10 and it looked like they all had a great time. We were kind of jealous. And such newbies that we never thought of trying to get to another table. At least our waiter, asst waiter and wine steward made things fun.

On our 2012 cruise out of New Orleans, we had some difficulty though. We were seated at a table for 10. The first night it was just us and a French Canadian couple. They were nice enough but they decided to eat in the Windjammer the rest of the cruise. We actually met them there once and had a nice meal, and we saw them around the ship too.

But the other couple that showed up the 2nd night were the real issue. He looked about 50-60 and she looked younger. She was very small and slight. So much so that DW and I weren't sure she was over 21! But she never spoke. Not to us, or to the waiter! She whispered to her husband what she'd have and he'd order it for her.

He was nice enough, but with the big table it was hard to have a conversation. And our waiter was not that great either. So, after the 2nd night with them, we asked to change tables. We were so nervous about that! We had never done it before. We ran into a couple that we had met via the Roll Call and they had hundreds of days at sea on cruises. In fact, they were the most "seasoned", (had the most cruise points of anyone on the ship) and we asked them if they had ever changed tables. They assured us they did and said it happens sometimes.

We changed to another table of 10 and there were 7 of us usually there. We had a great time with them and the waiter was much better. I even learned that I could have a 2nd dessert to go, as one of the other couples did that. I started taking something to enjoy on the balcony later!

I love meeting new people and DW and I have enjoyed the experience. We've sat with people from Lubbock who are Texas Tech fans (and it just so happened that our daughter's college had played them in a bowl game the previous January), we met a couple of teachers from Michigan who showed us their interior room (Very dark with the lights out!). We also met a man from Delaware who came out to our fair hometown on occasion to pick up fire trucks from the world famous company in town. We enlightened him to some possibilities for his next visit. Those places not next door to the mall that might be worth eating or visiting at.

Our last cruise was with MIL/FIL and BIL/SIL so we were a table for 6. It was nice, but I had really wanted a bigger table so they'd get the experience of meeting other cruisers too.

Colostomy bag?

That is not a BO smell, it is a raw sewage smell.

I have two friends with ileostomies and you would never know if you didn't know.

Unfortunately certain cultures don't typically use deodorant unless they work in jobs that require it.

On our last cruise we had requested and were given a table for six. On the first night there were only two others there, a lovely couple several years older than us, but very friendly and enjoyable. Two chairs remained empty the first night. On the second night, the other couple was there when we arrived, but then a grandmother with two grandchildren were brought to our table and an additional chair added forcing all of us to squish together. The grandmother sat between the two children who proceeded to kick those in the next chairs for the duration of the meal. We requested for the first couple and us to be changed but were told the only other table available had only three seats open and had children. My suggestion of moving the latecomers (who were not originally assigned to our table, but switched there from late seating after the first night) was denied as it was RCCL's policy only to move guests who requested it. To my thinking, the guest had requested it since she was moved to our table. Why not move her to a table with the correct number of seats and with other children? We sucked it up because we enjoyed the first couple so much, but I had bruises on my thigh for weeks afterwards from the kicking plus the grandmother was argumentative about several topics making unpleasant conversation. Thankfully, they skipped a couple of nights of a 10 night cruise so we did have a few enjoyable evenings with our new friends.

My story is sort of in reverse. At embarkation everyone noticed this older couple. You couldn't help but notice them! She must have had at least five facelifts and spent a lot of time in tanning booths. Her makeup was just loaded on her face, complete with false eyelashes and her hair was platinum blonde and done up in a topknot on the top of her head, with two chopsticks through it. She was wearing a ton of costume jewellery in vivid colours that clanked when she walked. - she had an off-the-shoulder blouse on and while her face had been lifted - well, the rest hadn't. Her husband had a long white ponytail, an earring and was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts - if anyone saw "Meet the Fockers" he reminded me of an older version of Dustin Hoffman's character. That night at dinner we were seated at a table for 6, but only four of us had arrived. We were introducing ourselves and when we looked up - guess who was approaching our table as the last two! The four of us just sat there wondering what we were in for. They sat down and introduced themselves and right then and there I learned a great lesson - never judge a book by it's cover. They were the most friendly, entertaining, wonderful couple you could ever meet. They had cruised everywhere! Amazing stories, great conversation, super sense of humour. Every night was another party at our table. We were always the last out of the dining room because we couldn't get enough of these two! I was ashamed of myself for my first impression and have tried to remember that! Every cruise I take I find myself looking around, hoping to see them again!

Wonderful advice, and I love that it turned out well for you! :)

No...overwhelming grease and onion odor...clearly BO

Okay ... I get it. I would not have stayed at this table ... something would have come up.

You can take that literally, ... or a faked emergency, but I'd have been out of there.

On our last cruise we had requested and were given a table for six. On the first night there were only two others there, a lovely couple several years older than us, but very friendly and enjoyable. Two chairs remained empty the first night. On the second night, the other couple was there when we arrived, but then a grandmother with two grandchildren were brought to our table and an additional chair added forcing all of us to squish together. The grandmother sat between the two children who proceeded to kick those in the next chairs for the duration of the meal. We requested for the first couple and us to be changed but were told the only other table available had only three seats open and had children. My suggestion of moving the latecomers (who were not originally assigned to our table, but switched there from late seating after the first night) was denied as it was RCCL's policy only to move guests who requested it. To my thinking, the guest had requested it since she was moved to our table. Why not move her to a table with the correct number of seats and with other children? We sucked it up because we enjoyed the first couple so much, but I had bruises on my thigh for weeks afterwards from the kicking plus the grandmother was argumentative about several topics making unpleasant conversation. Thankfully, they skipped a couple of nights of a 10 night cruise so we did have a few enjoyable evenings with our new friends.

I will never understand how people can just sit and take something like being kicked, especially if it is bad enough to produce bruises.

First action: "Listen, kid! Stop kicking me." If that doesn't work:

Second action: "Madam, your grandchildren keep kicking me and it hurts. They haven't stopped, even though I asked them. Please stop them. or I will kick them back."

There's no reason why you should suck it up and suffer in silence, just for the sake of politeness.

What did the person being kicked by the other child do?

Okay ... I get it. I would not have stayed at this table ... something would have come up.

You can take that literally, ... or a faked emergency, but I'd have been out of there.

Of course, you're right. I can only assume all of my brain cells were working toward defense. Fight or flight, right?

I will never understand how people can just sit and take something like being kicked, especially if it is bad enough to produce bruises.

First action: "Listen, kid! Stop kicking me." If that doesn't work:

Second action: "Madam, your grandchildren keep kicking me and it hurts. They haven't stopped, even though I asked them. Please stop them. or I will kick them back."

Yep.

I would have kicked the kid in a Philly second.

The first kick is an accident. The second is a toss up. The third is inexcusable, and I would have demanded a new table. If they couldn't find one, security would have become involved. I don't care how young or old a person is, they have no right to injure another.

I had to read through all of these to make sure we weren't any of the couples someone was reporting about. On our FOS cruise, we were seated at a 4-top for dinner and had a decent enough conversation the first evening with a couple about the same age who were farmers in the Midwest (we're from Michigan and Wisconsin). But we never saw them at dinner for the rest of the cruise. We always wondered what we did to drive them away.

They may just have found that the dining schedule did not work for them.

We often will try the MDR on the first night just to check it out and may never go back.

On that first night we will mention to any table mates that we often skip the MDR and if they don't see us again to not think it was anything to do with them.

We only usually eat twice a day and lots of time are more interested in activities on the ship or in port to take the time a MDR meal can sometimes run.

I would prefer either a 2 seat table or a 6 or larger seat table.

If we are at a 2 seat the only one missing us is the waiter who gets a bit of a lighter work load.

If we are assigned a 6 or larger seat table then there is less chance another couple will be eating alone when we skip it.

People sometimes find it hard to believe but there have been a few cruises where we did not even enter the MDR once.

As I mentioned we usually eat only twice each day and there are so many other options on the ships that are not as time consuming.

I know many (probably most) feel the dining is a huge part of the cruise experience but it just isn't for us.

For the times we have eaten in the MDR we have always been lucky to have great table mates.

One cruise, right after 9/11, we were seated at a table with 3 people who didn't speak English and 3 single ladies who were looking for guys to pair up with. It was uncomfortable to say the least. One "girl" stated that she had requested she and her friends be seated with young people, and we were old. We were in our fifties. We changed tables.

On another cruise we were seated with a man who spit when he talked, and he talked all the time. Very unpleasant. The third time, we sat with people who talked politics and were very rude. Fortunately, it was Select Dining so the rest of the cruise we had no problems. For the most part, we have had wonderful dining companions and have made lifelong friends. So, I can say honestly, that out of 28 cruises we have been fortunate. If you get a table that isn't a good group, change it!

I have been reading and enjoying this thread so much that I just had to share my story. I hesitated because I was afraid the individual would read about himself on CC but since it was a good 10-12 years ago - what the heck!

My sister, BIL and husband were at a six-top table and were seated with a very lovely couple from the west coast. They were slightly older than we were (maybe early 60's). After introductions and a little chit chat, the gentlemen proceeded to take his napkin and attach it around his neck with one of those chains the dentist uses to protect your clothes. His wife jokingly said something about her husband really enjoying his food. And let me tell you, he certainly did. You could identify everything he ate because after each mouthful, he would swipe the napkin across his mouth leaving the remnants on the cloth. At times, I wondered how much actually made it into his mouth! It was something to see and I'm sure the expressions on our faces after the first few swipes were priceless.

Let me add that we did not switch tables and except for that, we had lovely conversations with them and enjoyed their company - we just tried to avoid looking at his napkin!

We were assigned late dining and were put with a couple that complained complained complained. And they were very rude to the wait staff. This was our first cruise and we had no idea we could ask to be moved. This couple was so miserable that after the first night in the MDR, we ate in the buffet the entire rest of the cruise.

Worse?.....a friggin' "DIAMOND" couple on RCL.......white trash with attitude........:eek::eek::eek:

A lot of people are like that when they have crusied a certian line to the line's top level.They think that makes them superior because they have extra perks. Lol! After 21 cruises hubby and I are not "diamond" or "whatever" anything! We are "select" on Celebrity and should be elite with one more cruise with them, so that is the only line of 7 we have cruised that we even near that.

We sometimes cruise for specific ports and also (more often if in the Caribbean) for value. We have got some super deals crusing with different lines and when we get a great price for a cruise, I am okay without the perk, I think the great price in itself is a "perk." Our next crusie is with Princess, we did not get so a great "value" but we liked the unique ittineary(NOT Caribbean) we are getting with her which made what we paid worth it for us. Lol! we do not have much at all toward Princess, (14 days) although we did get a past cruiser discount that saved us $300. But as far as perks, I think all we will actually get on ship is one of those discount coupon books lol!

Archived