Worst table companion you have had

The highlight of the week was the one formal night, when one of the teachers (a woman in her late 20s/early 30s) was stopped by the maitre d' who had to explain to her that just because her sweat band matched her sweat pants, that did not make it formal attire.

That is hilarious! This reminds me of a thread hereabouts where someone is asking if her male relatives can get away with wearing T shirts and jean shorts in the MDR. The sad thing is, so many probably would not feel out of place or think they were doing anything wrong wearing the rattiest clothes they could get away with in the MDR. I see people showing up for church these days wearing shorts that need pressing and sandals, for crying out loud! Now, I'm sure someone will tell me that sandals are very biblical, but that was then and this is now and your dirty smelly feet need to be covered when inside, JMO. Unless you have a medical condition (which at times I have) that necessitate it.

I don't think it's asking too much for people to dress appropriately in the MDR. You can go to the buffet up top if you want to wear last year's fishing pants and the t shirt you use to change the oil in your lawn mower.

We always like to sit at different tables during the Any-time/My-time dining as we always meet so many great passengers.

This year however we sat with a lady who just really ruined our entire meal. She was extremely rude to the waiter, moaned about absolutely everything, wasn't happy about anything at all. Said she had a nut allergy and yet after speaking to her I am extremely doubtful if she ever did have it but she just loved to moan about every meal and constantly going on about the nuts. Before everyone puts me down as I know allergies can be life-threatening and I have an Epi-pen myself but she just didn't ring true at all.

I was really hoping DH wouldn't even order dessert or coffee just so that we could get away and that is exactly what he did. Thank goodness we were able to get up and say we were going to the show. It is the first time we had come across any-one just so bad.

Wondering if many of you have come across people you just couldn't sit with? I guess after so many wonderful years of cruising it was going to happen sometime :)

Hello Tudorcruisers - fancy meeting you on here!!! It's Teddy Smith - cruising friend of Whitechapel Girl. Hope you are well.

My sister-in-law and I cruised the Baltic last May and one very unfortunate breakfast had us sat with 3 people, who chose to completely ignor us, despite us saying good morning and smiling. I know it wasn't a language barrier, because they spoke to the waiter in English. Breakfast was chaos into the bargain, with the orders coming up wrong and very slowly. The funny thing was they didn't speak to each other either. When they only received half their breakfast - they just looked at each other. All I can say was, it was a good thing the elderly lady ordered a 9 minute boiled egg!! My sister-in-law and I couldn't wait to to leave. We stopped talking to each other in the end, we were too embarrassed to break the silence. If we saw them seated at breakfast again, we avoided sharing a table.

To be honest we had a good laugh once we were out of sight. I did wonder what a 9 minute boiled egg tasted like though. Probably better for keeping a door open.

The first kick is an accident. The second is a toss up. The third is inexcusable, and I would have demanded a new table. If they couldn't find one, security would have become involved. I don't care how young or old a person is, they have no right to injure another.

You are correct!:):eek::cool:

Now before I get hammered by all of the UK readers let me say I have nothing against them. In fact the UK is my ancestory as all 4 of my grandparents came to Canada from various places over there.

Nothing made this lady happy from day one. Food was too cold, food was too hot, tea was too strong, yes you guessed it, tea was too weak. First night at dinner she complained to our great waiter there were no "chips" read french fries on the menu. He was back in ten minutes with a hot plate full of them for her. Her response, I didn't want them but they had best be on the menu tomorrow night just in case I do.

Every night at dinner it was the same thing. She complained that it was too windy on deck and that the Captain should show more consideration and slow down. Yes you guessed it again, in port the balcony was too hot and the Captain should do something to get the air moving better.

I must have another hundred examples. Thankfully we have never met them again. Let me rephrase that, never met her again. Her husband was one of the most pleasant passangers I have ever met.

If you have ever seen the British comedy Keeping Up Appearances I met Mrs Bouquet!

I loved your post. Hyacinth Bucket is one of the funniest characters in the British comedies and your description of that cruiser is wonderful. Perhaps Onslow and Daisy were on board somewhere, too? :D

Okay, mine isn't that funny but it is one that has stuck with me over the years. We got on board and went to the MDR for lunch. We sat with a family with a young boy around the age of 5-8 (can't really remember). He was over weight. Roundish. He says to me, "do you think I"m fat?". Ummm, what do you say? Yes he was fat. He needed to lose weight BUT you can't say that to a little kid. I struggled for an answer that wouldn't hurt his feelings. I have to say, I resent the parents who set up complete strangers to deal with this question because it was obvious that they were waiting for my response. I did the best I could on a spur of the moment but, like I said, it sticks with me even today.

I feel bad for the child that must ask strangers if they think he is fat. I resent the parents that set both him and strangers up.

Okay, mine isn't that funny but it is one that has stuck with me over the years. We got on board and went to the MDR for lunch. We sat with a family with a young boy around the age of 5-8 (can't really remember). He was over weight. Roundish. He says to me, "do you think I"m fat?". Ummm, what do you say? Yes he was fat. He needed to lose weight BUT you can't say that to a little kid. I struggled for an answer that wouldn't hurt his feelings. I have to say, I resent the parents who set up complete strangers to deal with this question because it was obvious that they were waiting for my response. I did the best I could on a spur of the moment but, like I said, it sticks with me even today.

I feel bad for the child that must ask strangers if they think he is fat. I resent the parents that set both him and strangers up.

That's just awful. Poor little guy. Especially since he's not old enough to make his own meals so I would say his weight is partially the parents fault.

I loved your post. Hyacinth Bucket is one of the funniest characters in the British comedies and your description of that cruiser is wonderful. Perhaps Onslow and Daisy were on board somewhere, too? :D

Yes I love Hyacinth Buc'ket! BTW-No resaon for anyone to think anyone is anti British for comparing someone to her-lol! There are plenty of Americans just like that! they came from nothing (as far as the family having any wealth/status)-got a little money and suddenly their poop does not stink. I have a relative that married into money-and she is a "Hyacinth". Her husband is a wealthy but still down to earth "country boy" as we southern Americans say. She really cracks me up because I "remember when" lol!

We have had all kinds!

We have had the couple who study the menu like it was on next day's trivia. We have had the woman who flirts with every waiter. We have had the lady who goes on and on and on about how the silver ware does not get changed at every serving (geeez!:rolleyes:), we have had the wise crack guy who knows it all and runs down the food every day, and the other wise crack who gets so passionate while he is talking politics that he can be heard all over the dining room! we have had the lady who makes dinner a three hour event becaue she cannot shut up and talks endlessly.....zzzzzzz, we have had the couple who sent all their food back because the steak was not thick enough or soft enough, we have had the couple who told us hilarious stories of their lives and professions (they were fantastic!:D...if they ever were on my cruise again, I would beg the maiterd to put me on their table!), then the couple who we ended up giving a ride home because their ride did not show up at the pier. We have met many kinds of dinner mates!

I travel alone and thoroughly enjoy getting to know my table mates. Well my worst experience was when I was seated at a table with a family of seven. When the father of the group found out I was by myself he asked me if I was a lesbian. I had ordered a bloody Mary so that coupled with the fact that I was traveling alone opened up a huge can of worms!

When the appetizers came I started to eat but everyone grabbed hands and started to pray out loud . I usually do this in my head so it was a little awkward.

But when he started escalating the prayer to a very loud level that included special attention to me the lesbian who was drinking alcohol I felt like that was a little too much!!

By the way I'm not a lesbian nor an alcoholic! (And since when did traveling alone make one a lesbian or having a mixed drink an alcoholic?!!)

I asked to change tables the next day!!

This one takes the cake to me.

As far as the kicking kids go, I don't believe I would have kicked them. It really chaps me when people let their poor kids be snots. :mad: Kids can't be expected to know. They need to be taught. If they aren't, it is the poor kids who suffer in life, with no idea why people are avoiding them.

I would have first told the adult in charge of them the children were kicking and prodding me inappropriately under the table at the first kick. On the second, I'd have asked if the woman who brought them would prefer to remove them to deal with the situation, or if I need involved the ship's staff. If a third kick ensued, I would have politely asked that security be brought to deal with an unpleasant and abusive situation.

I would have first told the adult in charge of them the children were kicking and prodding me inappropriately under the table at the first kick. On the second, I'd have asked if the woman who brought them would prefer to remove them to deal with the situation, or if I need involved the ship's staff. If a third kick ensued, I would have politely asked that security be brought to deal with an unpleasant and abusive situation.

Yes, that is how it should be handled. That is how I did on my flight where the kid (who was around 9 or 10) kept kicking the back of my seat after the parents did nothing.

1. Phew. I'm fairly sure I wasn't mentioned here(unless I fell asleep, and missed the German Shepard story!;))

2. Kicking the kid is known as hyperbole. Look it up if you need to- it'll help posters not react so harshly to what's posted on the boards.:rolleyes:

3. I adore two of these stories the most: "alcoholic lesbian or not," and "lifted/ tucked with the ponytailed husband."

4. I also did myself in one time. First night of the cruise, dining alone because my mother missed her flight (really long story, but she joined the cruise on night two.) As it was the first night, and the other ten people at our table didn't show up, I was alone. ( no, I was NOT the smelly person mentioned earlier!:D) A woman dining by herself, about thirty years older than I was, caught my eye, and she assessed my solitude and shrugged and smiled. I took this as a friendly gesture, got up, introduced myself, briefly explained about my mother, and we chatted for a minute. British lady, travelling alone, sin lived in the States (Atlanta), so we agreed to dine together.

BIG mistake. :eek:A complainer, she had it in for the waiter, her cabin attendant, the ship's captain, her fellow passengers in general, and American passengers specifically. She said that the cruise line was too trashy (Crystal Cruises, BTW) and was generally rude and nasty.

I lasted through the entree, and then excused myself to "go check on my mother's progress." The only barb I could think to say was after she yammered on about her wonderful son: "It was nice to dine with you. I can see why your son loves living in the States.". I think it went over her head.

This woman became the most hated woman on the ship- everyone had a story about her- showering by the pool with no clothes on, wearing a bolt of gold lame wrapped around her for formal night held together by safety puns that sometimes failed at their job, and generally berating any staff with whom she came in contact.

It was so wild, that mom and I actually ended up feeling sorry for her...such a lack of self awareness that she trained herself to be abrasive just to get attention.

Ah well, we DID end up at a lovely table of 12, had a great trip, and, yes, please don't berate me, laughed at her expense, the poor, nasty dear.

As many have said, the many, many good/great tables have far outweighed any bad or less than stellar ones.

Andrew

Such a fun thread!!

Our worst table mates haven't been nearly as terrible or amusing as the ones posted here so far.

I think the worst I can recall was the couple in their 50s with teen sons. Dad was THE most successful man on the planet, he was sure to tell us so - we heard several mentions of his Harvard degree, Porsche Boxster, the boys' expensive private schools, and so on. And not in the natural course of conversation - he made sure to weasel in these items into discussion so we could be impressed by how awesome he was. :rolleyes:

Hey, pal, if you're such a hotshot, how come I saw you in the hallway of the Riviera Deck going into an interior quad cabin?? Shouldn't you be at least in the Captain's Suite, if not renting your own yacht? :p

YAWN. I so prefer the company of humble, down to earth, non-materialistic people!!

Such a fun thread!!

Our worst table mates haven't been nearly as terrible or amusing as the ones posted here so far.

I think the worst I can recall was the couple in their 50s with teen sons. Dad was THE most successful man on the planet, he was sure to tell us so - we heard several mentions of his Harvard degree, Porsche Boxster, the boys' expensive private schools, and so on. And not in the natural course of conversation - he made sure to weasel in these items into discussion so we could be impressed by how awesome he was. :rolleyes:

Hey, pal, if you're such a hotshot, how come I saw you in the hallway of the Riviera Deck going into an interior quad cabin?? Shouldn't you be at least in the Captain's Suite, if not renting your own yacht? :p

YAWN. I so prefer the company of humble, down to earth, non-materialistic people!!

......you know what they say "You can always tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him much"..............:D

One of the best tables we ever sat at, a table for 10, also included a couple who were very reserved the entire two weeks. They weren't rude, but you definitely got the impression they didn't necessarily approve of the little bit of drinking that was going on, or one of the couples at the table, who were a hilarious pair of Gentlemen from San Francisco.

It was nearly the last night when they finally opened up, and we were all horrified when they did :eek:. Everyone was sharing stories of their dogs, cats, etc, when the couple proceeded to share the stories of their German shepherds, who apparently were very effective at eliminating ANYTHING that came into the "compound". I will spare the gory details, but the couple was quite delighted by their story, laughing and elaborating on the damage inflicted. The rest of the table grew silent and a bit pale.

I know now, if somebody at the table doesn't want to participate in the conversation, leave them alone!!! You may not want to know them better :eek::eek:

I'm curious as to all these past cruises listings; for whose benefit are they, the posters or the complete strangers who read the posts? Suspect the strangers find they clutter up the board

This thread is about sharing a table with people who made you remember them -- for whatever reason. They're not for anyone's benefit. They're to remind us that none of us are in any situation alone, Redman1947.

The title of the thread should have made it clear what might be read here, so if you find it to be clutter, just like your radio or TV, you can change to something else.

Or, if you're referring to those who leave their signature (list of sailings done or those to come), for me, I often forget to uncheck the box.

I'm curious as to all these past cruises listings; for whose benefit are they, the posters or the complete strangers who read the posts? Suspect the strangers find they clutter up the board

For the most part they are to show that when someone answers your question on a cruise line or ship or even area you can look at their past cruises and see if they even have any experience in that area and how much. There was one poster that kept posting about their vast knowledge who had never even been on a ship. If you don't like the "clutter" why don't you just turn that feature off?

This thread is about sharing a table with people who made you remember them -- for whatever reason. They're not for anyone's benefit. They're to remind us that none of us are in any situation alone, Redman1947.

The title of the thread should have made it clear what might be read here, so if you find it to be clutter, just like your radio or TV, you can change to something else.

Or, if you're referring to those who leave their signature (list of sailings done or those to come), for me, I often forget to uncheck the box.

Where is the box to uncheck?:)

Without clutter, my life would be meaningless.

........postings of cruises?............to be able to brag online since you or anyone else are unable to "see" their DIAMOND pins.......the same reason why an overweight, balding man buys a Porsche and leers at young women........or as a psyche resident would comment....."insecurity"............;):D

Archived