Things being Discontinued the Fall?

SilvertoGold

Look at Seabourn. I have a cellar. I buy foreign and domestic. I can live without it for 10 days. HAL has some fantastic wines that I can't purchase where I live and fairly reasonable prices.

10 days may be one thing - 30 days is another.

I don't care if HAL levies a corkage fee BUT it's a shame to go some of those wonderful European ports and not be able to enjoy their vintages:(

HAL's wine list does not even closely compare when you are in Europe IMO.

Well you are all pretty good at guessing :D I am hearing that yes the Survey's done while on board will be going away and instead will be electronic this started on the Volendam this past week and this week's sailing of the Westerdam and will then be rolled out to the rest of the fleet. I understand the new on line comment cards are quite nice and you will only rate the things you used on board.

SilvertoGold I am so surprised you mentioned Embarkation Talk.... but yes I am hearing rumor that might be going away ;) I have to admit I have not been to one since our first HAL cruise in 2003.

CowPrincess making the HSC mandatory would not surprise me but that is not something I have heard.

Truthfully -- none of this surprises me.

We didn't even get the end of the cruise survey's when we were on the Noordam in 2011.

We haven't been to a disembarkation talk on any cruise line since the early 90's.

I won't miss them.

Not trying to be controversial, but could it be smoking on the balconies?

I think that is in the near future but not this fall. I would guess, hopefully, around the start of the New Year.

I am all for stopping the smoking on the balconies.

We have been bothered too many times by it.

The sooner -- the better.

Only two things would shock me:

abolishing towel animals;

declaring a formal minimum age of 64

I am hoping the HSC becomes mandatory. This hopefully will allow HAL to increase their staffing levels.

Perhaps it is the staff that wants to keep staffing levels low. The pie is only so big and each gets a bigger piece with fewer staff.

I am sensing you are right and do not doubt it.

You are not the first I've heard say this exact thing.

I don't understand people who book a vacation they cannot afford. When

we didn't have money to travel, we stayed home.

It isn't like groceries, medical care, mortgage payment.....

Travel is not a necessity. It is a luxury one waits to be able to afford

before they book.

IMO......

This may explain why there are so many things are 'disappearing' on a ship, this may be why people steal from the other passengers and crew.

One laptop were taken during the WC 2012, it went disappearing from the Neptune lounge when a person stepped out for less than 5 minutes...and nobody saw anything. This is why a ipad was taken from the Debbie B. piano bar area (she was the pianist) during the WC 2013 when she inadvertedly forgot it there for 15 minutes. And this is why at least 40 small silver tea pots went missing from tea time during Grand Asia 2012. One it the staff members told me: I wish we could search the passengers luggage !!!! The crew have their luggage searched when they leave the ship. So it has to be passengers. IMO removing the tips is also a form of stealing...from the crew.

Also, WHY on earth is it that on a normal MDR meal, only one person or 2 persons at the table buy wine but when COMPLIMENTARY wine is offered, some <non wine drinkers> take 4 or 5 glasses each.

Louise

This may explain why there are so many things are 'disappearing' on a ship, this may be why people steal from the other passengers and crew.

One laptop were taken during the WC 2012, it went disappearing from the Neptune lounge when a person stepped out for less than 5 minutes...and nobody saw anything. This is why a ipad was taken from the Debbie B. piano bar area (she was the pianist) during the WC 2013 when she inadvertedly forgot it there for 15 minutes. And this is why at least 40 small silver tea pots went missing from tea time during Grand Asia 2012. One it the staff members told me: I wish we could search the passengers luggage !!!! The crew have their luggage searched when they leave the ship. So it has to be passengers. IMO removing the tips is also a form of stealing...from the crew.

Also, WHY on earth is it that on a normal MDR meal, only one person or 2 persons at the table buy wine but when COMPLIMENTARY wine is offered, some <non wine drinkers> take 4 or 5 glasses each.

Louise

Terrible.

I hate reading all of this.

What a different world we live in.

I had a moderately costly camera stolen on a cruise.

Entirely my fault I forgot it on show room seat for a very short time. When I remembered and returned it was gone. I had a name, address, telephone sticker on it so an honest person would have had no problem having it returned to me. Clearly a dishonest person found and kept it. I didn't care that much about the camera but wanted the photos I lost. :(

Sadly, no matter what changes HAL makes, they cannot make people be honest and respectable.

What we see on the ships is a microcosm of society/world today.

It is not better than it used to be IMO

Terrible.

I hate reading all of this.

What a different world we live in.

I had a moderately costly camera stolen on a cruise.

Entirely my fault I forgot it on show room seat for a very short time. When I remembered and returned it was gone. I had a name, address, telephone sticker on it so an honest person would have had no problem having it returned to me. Clearly a dishonest person found and kept it. I didn't care that much about the camera but wanted the photos I lost. :(

Sadly, no matter what changes HAL makes, they cannot make people be honest and respectable.

What we see on the ships is a microcosm of society/world today.

It is not better than it used to be IMO

Sad indeed - I accidentally left my glasses in the showroom after bingo (I won and was excited). went back within 7 minutes and they were not to be seen.

They were never turned into the lost and found. HAL staff were sure that they would be turned in as they were prescription, however the frames were the newer European style and quite pricey. DH was convinced a passenger kept them for the frames. a very expensive lesson indeed:(

I think that is in the near future but not this fall. I would guess, hopefully, around the start of the New Year.

After I originally posted, the same thought popped into my mind. I had hoped this would happen before fall 2014---now I have something to hope for!!

That's great. The wine onboard is killing HAL in the marketplace. They can't compete with other lines.

Sorry, but that is SOOO not true!!! We bring wine onboard at ports to drink in our cabin. We still spend money in the lounges. And, we do not see many people even bringing wine onboard. Maybe you are talking about Carib. destinations. When we were young, I remember bringing a case of beer and pop on RCCL in San Juan! And, Princess has a liberal wine policy!!

the only question that they asked was:

how many bottles

stateroom number

and name

No questions about if we change the policy would you change - it was just the change that struck me.

Once they knew we had wine - we were called over - I thought to inspect the wine - no - to ask how many bottles we had, etc.

That was it. but I think it was leading to something. I could be wrong - I have before and hope I am this time but.....

These questions could be leading to a change in the wine policy. They seem to be seeking a number of potential wine bottle sales they are losing via their policy. This could be a precurser to change IMO.

As far as HAL (or any other line) is concerned, there is a big difference between a passenger who brings one or two bottles and those bringing a case.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a change allowing one bottle per person rather than unlimited. Perhaps they could temper that for the length of cruise or the cabin category. That would allow them to "add" another item to the list of suite benefits.

Cheers!

I am one who scrapes and saves for my one cruise a year, and most of the time do not spend large amounts on board. Probably 300-400 dollars not including shore excursions and spa services (my biggest expenses). My main purchases are for maybe one or two mixed drinks and sodas a day. (Mainly because I do not like the taste of most wines and liquors). While I may have an extremely limited budget, I consider tips and some purchases part of the trip. (Or for that matter a dinner out). I rarely drink the wine offered free or otherwise. While I limit myself to the mostly free items, the extras are part of the vacation. However I have NEVER asked the HSC to be removed and frequently add to it.

Sorry, but that is SOOO not true!!! We bring wine onboard at ports to drink in our cabin. We still spend money in the lounges. And, we do not see many people even bringing wine onboard. Maybe you are talking about Carib. destinations. When we were young, I remember bringing a case of beer and pop on RCCL in San Juan! And, Princess has a liberal wine policy!!

Princess no longer has a liberal wine policy. That changed this year.

Kazu, did counting wine bottles only happen at embarkation or at all ports?

After my last cruise I received a survey that seemed to really focus on shorex- how many done independant? How much overall spent? ( they have my HAL shorex total), why do you book HAL shorex? and a few more details. My impression was it was asking "how much potential did we miss- and why?"

I see those as good business questions personally. How the info is used could lead to improvements in product and keeping a business afloat..... so to speak.

I am hoping the HSC becomes mandatory.
It is a charge for service rendered. The only legitimate reason that it should be removed (or decreased) now is if satisfactory service is not given. If HAL made the HSC "mandatory" there would still be instances where some compensation is due for unsatisfactory service, and it would be given. Same result.
This hopefully will allow HAL to increase their staffing levels.
Staffing levels are limited by space available to house them, and maybe no amount of money could increase it very much.

I am sensing you are right and do not doubt it.

You are not the first I've heard say this exact thing.

I don't understand people who book a vacation they cannot afford. When

we didn't have money to travel, we stayed home.

It isn't like groceries, medical care, mortgage payment.....

Travel is not a necessity. It is a luxury one waits to be able to afford

before they book.

IMO......

I agree but it won't be long until someone starts calling us elitist. When we were young we went camping for holidays. The first time I saw the ocean was when I was sixteen years old and we did a road trip. That's all my parents could afford so that's what we did. I've worked my butt off as many others have to get to the point that I could afford nice vacations and everything that goes along with it. I just don't get why people go into debt for something that isn't life sustaining.

When we were young we went camping for holidays. The first time I saw the ocean was when I was sixteen years old and we did a road trip. That's all my parents could afford so that's what we did. I've worked my butt off as many others have to get to the point that I could afford nice vacations and everything that goes along with it.

Those were the trips we took as kids also, except we did not camp. But we stayed in inexpensive hotels, ate breakfast in the room, sandwiches for lunch, etc. I like cruising because for me (traveling solo) it is actually the most economical (and safe) way to travel. My room and food is included, which saves what little extra money I have to spend on other things. As I said above, I may spend little onboard, but I consider some spending and especially tipping (HSC) necessary.

Kazu, did counting wine bottles only happen at embarkation or at all ports?

After my last cruise I received a survey that seemed to really focus on shorex- how many done independant? How much overall spent? ( they have my HAL shorex total), why do you book HAL shorex? and a few more details. My impression was it was asking "how much potential did we miss- and why?"

I see those as good business questions personally. How the info is used could lead to improvements in product and keeping a business afloat..... so to speak.

there was no counting at embarkation. It was two or three ports of call that are well known for having wonderful wines:D (or access to them):D

Keep in mind that we were going to the Baltics afterwards where there would be limited choices and since we were in France - the options were endless:)

So there were a few of us who took advantage of it. :D

By the looks of the mariner credits we got for spending on board - I don't think HAL suffered at all by us bringing on a few bottles;):eek: ( Thankfully a lot of stuff was pre purchased so DH didn't actually realize how much all together - and I'm not telling him what those mariner days translate into $ wise)

I agree but it won't be long until someone starts calling us elitist. When we were young we went camping for holidays. The first time I saw the ocean was when I was sixteen years old and we did a road trip. That's all my parents could afford so that's what we did. I've worked my butt off as many others have to get to the point that I could afford nice vacations and everything that goes along with it. I just don't get why people go into debt for something that isn't life sustaining.

If being responsible and staying within our budget is elitist, so be it. If we didn't have the money for whatever it was, we simply did not buy it. When the rent, electric bill, car insurance, telephone bill etc were paid, I then knew how much was left for groceries. There were the weeks we ate a lot of pasta. :)

There was no money left for vacations.

The first vacation we had in the first 8 years of our marriage was when DH finished graduate school. We saved a long time for that long dreamed of trip to Bermuda. The only other time we had away together was when DH had a week off from his tour in Viet Nam. I flew to Hawaii to join him for that week and he had to return to Viet Nam for about two or three more months after. That was not a luxury by anyone's standards. :rolleyes:

If some cannot understand that concept, that is not for me to worry about. :)

Archived