Cruising Etiquette.......is there anything I shouldn't do?

REALLY??? Are you in the states ? That truly stunned me. I find that bizarre and fascinating. In the UK we have this thing we call 'freedom of speech' and I actually thought that was what you guys were into too.. Well you live and learn.

As for sports, gambling and hobbies - well tbh with the exception of 'my' sport (dressage) I'd rather talk about politics and religion. I guess the cultures are separated by more than an ocean.

Don't be too stunned. She didn't give any example, so I suspect it's either totally made up, or she is referring to some very specific example.

I can think of some government jobs where it would be inappropriate to be talking about your political views, when your job requires impartiality. Even then, though, I'm not sure it would be illegal in most cases. It just might cost you your job.

There are definitely some cultural differences between the US and UK, but I'm not sure this is really a big one.

Don't sing along, at the top of your lungs, with the Headliner entertainment in the Theater. No one wants to hear you sing except you.

Oops. I have been guilty of this. Maybe not at the top of my lungs, but I've definitely sang along heartily, often with others. I always figured that the sound system would drown us out.

I haven't read the whole thread, but...

please don't act like an idiot during the muster assembly. Yes, I've been on apporx. 18 cruises and have heard the safety drill as many times, but I still show respect to the crew/passengers and pay attention to the instructions. In the event of an emergency, I would hope that everyone in my lifeboat would know what's going on and where to go. Sure, the possibility of it happening are slim, but accidents/emergencies happen.

I'll now get off my soapbox.

Illegal:confused:

Illegal? I can't imagine what kind of work place that it would be illegal?

After there was one two many heated discussions among the doctors, nurses and techs about politics, we established a "no-politics policy" in our OR. It just made for a better work environment. :)

I guess you guys won't mind if I smoke on my balcony???

Elvis

Norton: Ralph?

Ralph: What?

Norton: You mind if I smoke?

Ralph: I don't care if you burn.

"Unconventional Behavior" Honeymooners (1956)

The Holyoke Mall at Ingleside (and many other malls in America) has a glass elevator. The mall has two main levels and a much smaller level in the basement known as The Cafe Square, where the food court is located. The glass elevator is the only elevator in the mall to travel all 3 levels. There is only one set of stairs, and they also go between all 3 levels. I used to enjoy riding in the elevator as a kid...

Sometime in the early 1990's, the management decided to put up a sign by the glass elevator that suggests that wheelchairs and strollers should board and exit the elevator first. This might explain why some people think they can cut in front everyone if they're driving a scooter. It's been years since I've been able to ride the glass elevator as there is now a line of about 10 to 20 strollers waiting to get on the elevator. It's just not worth the wait.

P.S. When I ride the glass elevators in the Centrum on the ship (especially Majesty & Monarch), I think back to my childhood and remember when I actually enjoyed going to the mall.

Went to the Mall tonight. The area in the center of the mall where the elevator is located is covered by a glass dome roof. A storm was coming, so it started getting humid inside the mall. Nobody was waiting for the glass elevator, so I thought I would ride it for all-time sake.

Coincidentally, the elevator is shaped like a diamond. Also, it's not as big as a regular elevator.

The sign about who gets priority is gone. A mall worker with a mop and bucket come over to wait for the elevator while I was waiting. When the doors opened, there was a family already on, room for one more (me). The mall worker had to wait for the next time. The family took a deep breath as the doors closed and held their noses. That's when I noticed a stench far worse than someone passing gas. It smelled like dirty mop water combined with sweat and humidity. That elevator was run down inside and has seen better days. I can only imagine how much worse the odor would be have the mall worker with the mop and bucket joined us in the elevator.

Anyway, it made me really appreciate all the hard work the staff and crew for Royal Caribbean do to keep the elevators clean and working well.

Thank you to everyone who uses the stairs instead of taking the elevator.

P.S. If Royal Caribbean adds a Snoopy Store to the Centrum/Royal Promenade, then that will really bring me back to my childhood.:)

As for sports, gambling and hobbies - well tbh with the exception of 'my' sport (dressage) I'd rather talk about politics and religion. I guess the cultures are separated by more than an ocean.

I'll talk dressage with you anytime!!!!

Raina

Politics and religion are two topics that can bring out the beast in some people. They can be pretty die hard on the subject .

You don't know who you are sitting with at a dinner table in the MDR and how powerful their convictions and experiences are .

Too true. I don't think there are many topics that shouldn't be brought up for discussion at a dinner table, within reason. But as with all things, a little common courtesy goes a long way. I find it rude if a total stranger tries to make a discussion too personal or intrusive. And I find it rude if a table mate won't drop a topic if asked, politely to do so. Other than that, I'm happy to discuss world politics, religion, or the best way to mix a Mojito.

And then there was the time we sat down to dinner on our first night and the first thing one of our table mates asked was if we'd found Jesus. She wasn't happy at all when I replied that I didn't know he'd gotten lost...

Don't sing along, at the top of your lungs, with the Headliner entertainment in the Theater. No one wants to hear you sing except you.

I'm completely in agreement with this. I frequently have to stomp on DH's foot to get him to stop doing that. Unless they're doing something from Mama Mia. Then all bets are off.

And then there was the time we sat down to dinner on our first night and the first thing one of our table mates asked was if we'd found Jesus. She wasn't happy at all when I replied that I didn't know he'd gotten lost...

I sat at a table for 8 once, and we politely waited until everyone's starters arrived, then started eating. 4 or 5 people were halfway through their first mouthful of food when someone asked "Do you mind if we say grace?" I expected the people involved to quietly bow their heads or something, so put my fork down. We were then treated to a 10 minute homily - at least 3 of us weren't even Christian, so that came as a bit of a surprise :) The next night I suggested maybe we could say grace before the food arrived, but apparently it doesn't work that way!

Another one came to mind, not sure if it has been covered before. If you are traveling with kids, advise them not to get on the elevators and play with the buttons. More than once I got on a elevator with a small child who was pushing all the buttons so it stopped at every floor.

Like any other place; no religion, politics, or money. Why ruin friendships before they begin? :)

I disagree with the politics, I would say don't argue about politics, or try to push your opinion about politics, but making it a taboo subject is not to my liking. I enjoy learning about the politics of other countries, and thoughts that people have from other states. I don't care to remain ignorant on this subject. Just never be offensive. If someone becomes pushy or is over the top, then of course you don't talk about many things with that type of person. But on the whole politics can be very interesting and fun. Most of us are grown ups. Learning is always fun!

On second thought all three topics can be discussed between two mature people

For a minute I didn't see which topics you were referring to. I thought for a second it was the OTHER 3 topics you were thinking of. But seeing your username, I guess not. ;)

I disagree with the politics, I would say don't argue about politics, or try to push your opinion about politics, but making it a taboo subject is not to my liking. I enjoy learning about the politics of other countries, and thoughts that people have from other states. I don't care to remain ignorant on this subject. Just never be offensive. If someone becomes pushy or is over the top, then of course you don't talk about many things with that type of person. But on the whole politics can be very interesting and fun. Most of us are grown ups. Learning is always fun!

I think we should discuss how you make those fantastic dancing numbers!!!

Elvis

Archived