Lobster

$65+ per kg? Ouch! What's a restaurant charge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on the restaurant - some charge over $100 per kg - prepared and cooked for you! $65 is considered reasonable and at times like this, you can expect to see nearly every table order a 2kg+ lobster plus other dishes.

One point to remember is that everything here in Australia costs about double what it does in the US. Wages are higher so it kind of works out for us, but makes it an expensive vacation for our American friends.

Depends on the restaurant - some charge over $100 per kg - prepared and cooked for you! $65 is considered reasonable and at times like this, you can expect to see nearly every table order a 2kg+ lobster plus other dishes.

Thanks. Good information.

Wow, 6lb lobsters! I have got to visit there sometime.

I was at my local Market Basket (chain supermarket in the northeast) and they had just gotten a shipment of lobsters. The fish guy had just put one up on the scale and it was 7.81 pounds! It was massive, the claws were as big as a dinner platter. He said 8 lobsters that big had just come in with their regular shipment and he was putting them in the steamer to cook them. They were selling lobsters for $4.99/lb but I didn't ask if they were going to sell those monsters at that price per pound.

Wow, 6lb lobsters! I have got to visit there sometime.

The winner of the Nascar race in Loudon New Hampshire gets a 18 - 20 pound lobster as part of their winnings! :eek: They say it generally yields 6 pounds of meat or so.

Kurt%20Busch%20Lobster-thumb-200x281.jpg

. All shellfish is very delicate and needs constant watching or an experienced eye to tell when it is done, before it gets overdone. Unfortunately, cruise ships do not do this well.

Agreed. The key is the "cool down" in ice immediately after pulling from the boiling water or steam. If not, the shellfish just keeps on cooking. its true for shrimp, crab or lobster.

I'm neither a New Englander nor from someplace with warm water. What I am is a seafood expert. The surcharge-free RCCL lobster tails are absolute junk in my book, and dry at that. I personally will avoid them in the future. But I would try the Maine lobsters for a fee.

Thanks for the info. I know that, being from Kansas, your seafood is much better and fresher than ours from Florida. :rolleyes:

As far as the dryness factor, that is totally in the way that the warm water lobsters (and despite what others say, they ARE lobsters) are prepared.

Thanks for the info. I know that, being from Kansas, your seafood is much better and fresher than ours from Florida. :rolleyes:

As far as the dryness factor, that is totally in the way that the warm water lobsters (and despite what others say, they ARE lobsters) are prepared.

I live in Kansas but I'm barely in Kansas due to my travel. I know good seafood.

Can you get Lobster in Portofinos ? Do they charge extra on top of surcharge ?

Sailing to Norway - can you get Lobster in MDR on formal night ?:confused:

Lobster is part of the entree called Spiedino de Mare, and is included in the regular $20pp price.

Just back from July 6 Oasis cruise. Yes lobster is served on second formal night, 5th night. You can order as many as you want. They are huge. I asked for 2 tails.

Speaking of ordering food you can order as many of anything that you want. My husband and I usually ordered 2-3 appetizers (they are small portions). And then we each ordered one main course and a third to share. That way we had three different type meals.

Sometimes our waiter would bring us an appetizer that we didn't expect just because he really felt that we would enjoy it... and we did.

I live in Kansas but I'm barely in Kansas due to my travel. I know good seafood.

I'm sure you do, Zach. No offense intended. Just defending my home state - LOL. Personally, I do love FL lobster but I also realize the difference between the cold water and warm water flavors. The cold water is definately sweeter, but the FL also is a wonderful item. I guess, like all food posts, it depends on personal taste. For that same reason, I would never choose a cruise based on someone else's opinion of the food (although those that post that ALL the food was inedible really P me off :D). Did they REALLY go a full cruise without eating??? DOUBT IT!!!

Have a great day and happy cruising!!

Just back from July 6 Oasis cruise. Yes lobster is served on second formal night, 5th night. You can order as many as you want. They are huge. I asked for 2 tails.

Speaking of ordering food you can order as many of anything that you want. My husband and I usually ordered 2-3 appetizers (they are small portions). And then we each ordered one main course and a third to share. That way we had three different type meals.

Sometimes our waiter would bring us an appetizer that we didn't expect just because he really felt that we would enjoy it... and we did.

On Oasis July 13th Eastern Caribbean, formal night was night 6. Our waiter said you could order two Fisherman's platter per person and that was it. Honestly though, it was enough. The lobster tails were small and way overcooked. Guess that's what happens when the kitchen cooks 2400 lobsters all at once. I'm pretty sure that the lobsters you had on July 6th sailing were the same type as the ones we had a week later, so maybe it's just a matter of perspective in terms of the size.

On the menu, you could also order on any night a whole Maine lobster for I think $29, which I'm guessing is not a very popular choice throughout the week. You could also order a Filet for an extra cost as well. These "extras" are new to us since the last time we sailed on an RCI ship in 2009.

Just read that there is no Lobster on Med Cruises?

We will be on a 9 day cruise in August on legend....very disappointed :(

I don't think it's only the Med it is any of their European cruises. I have been on seven cruises out of European ports and there was no lobster night on any of them.

Archived