Lobster

I'm neither a New Englander nor from someplace with warm water. What I am is a seafood expert. The surcharge-free RCCL lobster tails are absolute junk in my book, and dry at that. I personally will avoid them in the future. But I would try the Maine lobsters for a fee.

Surcharge? No, when I was on the Explorer a few years back I had 5 Lobster tails in the MDR and could of had more. I am looking forward to lobster night again.

If that's what you believe to be "lobster" that's what they have on the ships.

Being a former Jersey Girl and having eaten more than my fair share of lobsters that were live and squirming prior to being dropped into a pot of steaming water (preferably sea water), I don't consider those itty bitty things to be real lobsters. If given the choice, I take the prime rib every time.

I will be in Massachusetts on my birthday just a couple of days prior to flying to the UK for our B2B on Brilliance and I have already notified DD that I want a real lobster dinner. I would also love a huge bucket of steamers.

I'm very confused here. It was not 6 months ago, that Royal Caribbean announced that they were moving from the 4 oz lobster tail to the 6 oz lobster tail.

On the cruises that we have enjoyed lobster tail on the last formal night, it was of the larger variety, and was excellent.

The Caribbean lobster that we get in Cancun tastes just like what we get onboard most Royal Caribbean ships.

If they have discontinued the new 6 oz lobster, it's news to me, but then again, we have not been aboard a Royal Caribbean ship in the past 60 days.:D

I understand that things change, and the last lobster that we enjoyed was on the Vision of the Seas, both on the TA, and for the Norwegian Fjords. I cannot remember if it was even offered on the Baltic cruise.

Rick

:)Sorry to disappoint all you cold water lobster lovers, but a recent study from a leading eastern university has determined that Carribean lobster is the sweetest best tasting lobster in the World.

Leading eastern university??? To funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just hope they still have the lobster night when we cruise next year. I'd love to have two fat lobster tails of any sort handed to me for my dinner. :D
They won't be fat, and you won't get two handed to you for your dinner. Although, you may gets seconds later, if they have enough.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I could take langoustino (spiny lobster) or warm water lobster if it wasn't frozen (freezing changes the consistancy of the meat) and certainly not overcooked which makes it tough and rubbery. This can be done, and unfortunately IS DONE even to the king of white meat the Maine lobster. All shellfish is very delicate and needs constant watching or an experienced eye to tell when it is done, before it gets overdone. Unfortunately, cruise ships do not do this well.

What most people don't realize is that you can keep lobsters alive without the water tank for several days. When we go up to camp, we'll buy some bugs, and keep them in the paper sack in the fridge. If we don't get to steaming them that day, no worries, we've kept them for 4-5 days. I'm hoping that the whole lobsters served in the specialty restaurants are kept live until cooked, as this is the only way to really present the flavor and texture of the creature. They could have them in the chill boxes for a couple of days after loading stores at embarkation, and they would be fine.

However, Maine Lobster was always available to order off of the Main Dining Room Menu any other night, however, there was a charge of around $25 for it. /quote]

What size Lobster are they giving you for $25 dollars? Probably a small little one pounder, which for me is not even worth the effort. Out here on Long Island getting Lobster is no problem. At my local fish market it was $9 bucks a pound. I usually go for a nice 3 or 4 pounder. But the Maine Lobsters are starting to go into the moulting stage now, and they are more watery than meaty. Stay away from soft shell lobsters, they are terrible. Once the shell hardens up and they start to pack on the meat again, they are delicious. But July & August stink for live lobsters. But some of the Lobster wholesalers have huge storage tanks. So you might be able to get some that were caught prior to molting.

I'm very confused here. It was not 6 months ago, that Royal Caribbean announced that they were moving from the 4 oz lobster tail to the 6 oz lobster tail.

OK, I'm trying to stay out of this because I want to stay on Ryan's good side. But I have never heard of using ounces for anything related to lobsters. We do pounds. And the more pounds the better.:p

I was on Martha's Vineyard a couple of weeks ago. The had a lobster in the fish market that was about as long as my arm with a crushing claw that looked like it could crush my leg.:eek:

OK, I'm trying to stay out of this because I want to stay on Ryan's good side. But I have never heard of using ounces for anything related to lobsters. We do pounds. And the more pounds the better.:p

I was on Martha's Vineyard a couple of weeks ago. The had a lobster in the fish market that was about as long as my arm with a crushing claw that looked like it could crush my leg.:eek:

Ounces are only used by those who don't get the whole bug, and only know that it's lobster because there is a shell on the plate. As I've said, we try to keep the fact that claw meat is far better than tails a local secret.

If that's what you believe to be "lobster" that's what they have on the ships.

Being a former Jersey Girl and having eaten more than my fair share of lobsters that were live and squirming prior to being dropped into a pot of steaming water (preferably sea water), I don't consider those itty bitty things to be real lobsters. If given the choice, I take the prime rib every time.

I will be in Massachusetts on my birthday just a couple of days prior to flying to the UK for our B2B on Brilliance and I have already notified DD that I want a real lobster dinner. I would also love a huge bucket of steamers.

Oh to have a real lobster and a bucket of steamers, keep the potatoes and bread, just plenty of butter and lemon. No lobster I have ever had on a cruise ship compared to the real thing. ;)JMHO.

Just talk about vidalia onions too and Ryan will be just fine.;):p

And to stay on topic, ounces is used when buying just the meat or tails especially in food service when they are looking for a specific sized tail for surf and turf.

Thank you to all who responded to my question about RCCL serving lobsters. Even though I am from Boston (and proud of it) I am not a lobster snob. I can appreciate a warm water lobster as well. My concern was that with the sample menus I have read on this website I did not notice any mention of lobsters on a seven day Caribbean cruise. The reason I wanted to know the night it was served was to make sure my wife and I did not book a specialty restaurant that night. It makes sense it would be served on one of the formal nights. I will not be upset if it is discontinued but I would be upset if I missed it. Thanks again. Alan

Thank you to all who responded to my question about RCCL serving lobsters. Even though I am from Boston (and proud of it) I am not a lobster snob. I can appreciate a warm water lobster as well. My concern was that with the sample menus I have read on this website I did not notice any mention of lobsters on a seven day Caribbean cruise. The reason I wanted to know the night it was served was to make sure my wife and I did not book a specialty restaurant that night. It makes sense it would be served on one of the formal nights. I will not be upset if it is discontinued but I would be upset if I missed it. Thanks again. Alan

On the menu, it's called Fisherman's Platter or something like that. It's the lobster tail along with two or three shrimp.

Oh to have a real lobster and a bucket of steamers, keep the potatoes and bread, just plenty of butter and lemon. No lobster I have ever had on a cruise ship compared to the real thing. ;)JMHO.

I agree! If you ever come to Sydney (Australia), you must try our rock lobsters (Eastern, Southern, Western and Tropical). The so called "lobster" tails on cruise ships are miniscule and taste more like yabby/marron tails (farmed fresh water). Large Aussie lobsters can weigh well over 3kg (over 6.6lbs) but the best size to eat is just over 2kg. Tourists by the bus loads visit our Pyrmont fishmarkets just to eat lobsters, crabs, oysters etc.

The last lobster meal we had was on the last formal night on the Celebrity Millenium this yr and they were mushy and awful (my hubby's as well as mine)- no taste except for the melted butter sauce (don't know how long they have been frozen). I'd say the cruise ship type of lobster tails are just ok if they are firm, but nothing to rave about but then again it's only our opinions as we have great yummy rock lobsters in Australia.:)

I agree! If you ever come to Sydney (Australia), you must try our rock lobsters (Eastern, Southern, Western and Tropical). The so called "lobster" tails on cruise ships are miniscule and taste more like yabby/marron tails (farmed fresh water). Large Aussie lobsters can weigh well over 3kg (over 6.6lbs) but the best size to eat is just over 2kg. Tourists by the bus loads visit our Pyrmont fishmarkets just to eat lobsters, crabs, oysters etc.

The last lobster meal we had was on the last formal night on the Celebrity Millenium this yr and they were mushy and awful (my hubby's as well as mine)- no taste except for the melted butter sauce (don't know how long they have been frozen). I'd say the cruise ship type of lobster tails are just ok if they are firm, but nothing to rave about but then again it's only our opinions as we have great yummy rock lobsters in Australia.:)

Wow, 6lb lobsters! I have got to visit there sometime.

Wow, 6lb lobsters! I have got to visit there sometime.

Bob, do come and visit Sydney some day. It is one of the most beautiful scenic cities in the world.

The yummy meat is in the lobster tails. However, I find the meat in the legs are sweeter than the tail meat, but more fiddly to eat but I don't mind it because they are really tasty. The Southern rock lobsters cost more and are sweeter and more tender than their Western cousins. Market prices for live lobsters vary depending on season and demand, $65+ per kg.

Bob, do come and visit Sydney some day. It is one of the most beautiful scenic cities in the world.

The yummy meat is in the lobster tails. However, I find the meat in the legs are sweeter than the tail meat, but more fiddly to eat but I don't mind it because they are really tasty. The Southern rock lobsters cost more and are sweeter and more tender than their Western cousins. Market prices for live lobsters vary depending on season and demand, $65+ per kg.

$65+ per kg? Ouch! What's a restaurant charge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$65+ per kg? Ouch! What's a restaurant charge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One point to remember is that everything here in Australia costs about double what it does in the US. Wages are higher so it kind of works out for us, but makes it an expensive vacation for our American friends.

Archived