Piano Bar question for "Barry From Boston"

elycelynne

My favorite attacker repeated the same comment (word for word) here and on two other websites and on her satisfaction survey, saying, "I don't come to hear him "interpret" songs. (I loved how she puts "interpret" in quotes to indicate that what she really thinks is I was doing the song all wrong.) "He zigs when he should zag. If I can't sing along the whole time, he's a failure, because that's what I'm there for". Others think exactly the opposite. We love that he jokes with us and gets to know us (then) We hate the he talks too much. We love that he knows so many songs (then) We hate that he isn't playing the 5 songs we like best, every time we come in. You get the point.

An empty house night after night pretty much says it all, when it was jumping night after night before. Greetings from the Rotterdam.

Barry, i would really like to know that, as well. We had the pleasure of being on a ten or twelve day sailing with you out of Boston on the Jewel of the Seas, maybe eight or nine years ago. It was just this time of year, because the Red Sox were in the world series then, too. Anyway, we were big fans, and still have your CDs we bought. Can you clue us in about piano entertainer on Noordam after her TA crossing?

All of the best to you!

Nancy

• 3 years later...

Thanks, Barry, for stepping up and giving that very complete explanation. The HAL cruises I have been on have had Piano Bar performers with quite a range of styles. Some I have avoided, some I have enjoyed. To my mind, Barry has been the best. He has great piano technique, good interpretive vocals, and the ability to "work the crowd". He encourages sing-along, and -yes- has allowed a guest to sing at his mic - which the crowd enjoyed. Obviously some people don't like that style, and HAL has other venues for them to spend their evenings. Since Barry's stints tend to be packed, obviously a lot of people do like it. "Different strokes for different folks."

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, ATC said:

Yes!

3 hours ago, ATC said:

I know.

Well, you can colour me stupid, but if you knew all this why did you bump a 6 year old thread?

It’s obvious from his tour schedule he will be on the Veendam until Jan. 22.  Since the Grand starts on Jan. 5th, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that he will most likely  not be on.  

Barry from Boston was a disappointment for me.  

There was a female Piano Bar entertainer who sailed with her husband who played Bass in the Ocean Bar music group.  He would join her from time to time in the Piano Bar.  By herself, she was great.  Adding her husband to the performance:  WOW!  My feeble memory can't recall her name.  She lives in Vancouver the last that I knew.  She left the cruise line circuit to complete a Music degree.  She was the best Piano Bar entertainer I have ever experienced!

Edited by rkacruiser

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There was a female Piano Bar entertainer who sailed with her husband who played Bass in the Ocean Bar music group.

Diane Fast (I think that was her last name).

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

YES!  Your memory is better than mine!😀

Nah. I sailed with her more than once (on longer cruises), and was also impressed. Someone like that and I will remember their name.

Perry Grant:  anyone remember him?  I first enjoyed his act in the Piano Bar of a R-Class ship, not sure whether it was Volendam or Amsterdam.  He packed the guests in with his "revolving" glass light on the piano and his Judy Garland preference.  He left HAL and joined Celebrity Cruises in their Sky Room on their Solstice Class ships when I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse.  Once again, the venue was full!  Don't know where he is now and I know that Perry is "not everyone's cup of tea".  At the Diana Fast standard?  No!  Diana was unique.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Perry Grant:  anyone remember him? 

Sure. I first sailed with him on the Statendam back in 1994, shortly after he came to HAL, and sailed with him several times before he left. Again, these were longer cruises so I remember him well. I liked him a lot in the Piano Bar, and know he would not fit in at all in the new Billboard Onboard. He might be all right in Mix.

Last I heard he was on Crystal, but that was a couple of years ago. I did hear, very recently, that his groupies are still sailing with him. I should have asked which line he is currently on.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Well, you can colour me stupid, but if you knew all this why did you bump a 6 year old thread?

It’s obvious from his tour schedule he will be on the Veendam until Jan. 22.  Since the Grand starts on Jan. 5th, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that he will most likely  not be on.  

The Grand World starts in Jan 2020, the Grand Africa doesn't start until Oct 3, 2020 as you should know.

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Barry from Boston, one of the best! 

So was our buddy Joel Mason.    His Elton John tribute remains our all-time favorite show.   

He plays a mean guitar too.

16 minutes ago, JRG said:

So was our buddy Joel Mason.    His Elton John tribute remains our all-time favorite show.   

He plays a mean guitar too.

Never sailed with Joel but did with Debby Bacon on the GWV. She is outstanding