Let's talk luggage...

IttaBit

I passed an inside cabin and peeked in and it was a sea of shoes. I never saw so many pairs of shoes---lol

I often wondered that cruise if those people had a clue on the size of the room. I felt bad for the cabin steward who had to wade through all those shoes.

We use a 21" and a 20" pack half my clothes in one and half in the other

We each have a 21 inch carry on plus a smaller bag or backpack. We haven't used anything other than carry on luggage in years - even for a 3 month land trip.

It's all about what works well for you.

I have a 30" rolling duffel, and a 21" rolling carry on with built in suiter that I usually take. The duffel has a compartment on the bottom that can hold several pairs of show, and other nicknacks which I manage to squeeze in between the shows. It holds plenty for an 7-8 night cruise, while the carry on with suiter holds the dress clothers and personal items.

Last 7 day cruise I took a 28" case and a 21" carryon. The large case was only half full and weighed 34 pounds. I could have taken a smaller bag but don't have one. I will never be a carry-on only person.

28 inch checked luggage and two 21 inch carry-on's. One has a days change of clothes and personal items, the other has the Formal Night clothes and shoes and bags. We have gotten over the shoe issue and I carry 2 pair in the luggage (wearing one pair) and she carries 4 pair. That is it as all fits under the bed after unpacking into the walk in closet. We use the free Suites laundry on the ship as we only carry 5 days of clothes with us.

I use a 21 inch carry on and 28 inch checked bag. I actually pack all my stuff for my carryon in a smaller bag and pack that bag in my rolling carryon. That way I have an extra bag for souvenirs on the way home.

We each have a 26" suitcase and a 21" carry on. I can still remember how much we over packed for our first cruise, as I'm sure nearly everyone does (or did). Of course, with most of the airlines charging $25.00 per checked suitcase, plus charging for anything over 50 lbs., that's been a big incentive to cut down on what we take.

Impressive! Do you participate the formal nights?

Sure do ! I bring dressy black pants and a black top. Than dress it up with using scarfs and or jewelry. Wear the same basic 2 pieces both formal nights but switch up the accessories.

Having traveled most of the year while working, I learned to pack very concisely as it was important that only carry-on luggage was used.

My rules are :

• Every piece packed must be interchangeable with 2 other pieces or it doesn't get packed.
  • Do not bring purses as who needs one on a cruise ship. I use the tote bag if needed when going on shore.
  • Only bring 3 pairs of shoes - 1 worn and 2 get packed.
  • Don't pack hair dryer - use the one in the room.
  • Bring only travel size bottles of hair products and personal care products.

Statically speaking .... Whether it's a 28" suitcase or an 18" such as what I use at least 25% of what gets packed never gets used. Yes even I don't use everything that was packed.

A friend of mine that often travels with me is amazed at what I can back in an 18" suitcase. She likens it to the circus act where 50 clowns come out of a WV Beetle.

The first question to be asked is: Do you plan to pay for laundry service?

If the answer is "yes," pack for three days.

If the answer is "no," pack for seven days

Add something to wear on formal nights (sport jacket with tie as a minimum for males), and a bathing suit. Pack a folded duffel bag in your your luggage just in case you need room to bring home souvenirs.

The above will determine what size suitcase you need for clothing.

Place all of your valuables (cameras, PC, tablets, jewelry, meds) in a roll-on bag or backpack.

If your cruise line allows you to bring your own wine and soda, consider extra luggage space for it.

......................Statically speaking .... Whether it's a 28" suitcase or an 18" such as what I use at least 25% of what gets packed never gets used. Yes even I don't use everything that was packed.

Ain't that the truth. Usually have one shirt that just wasn't right for the trip. Never use everything in the med kit but we always use something.

We pack in airline sized carryons, usually we take public transportation to port. LA is finally getting it's act together.

Though next cruise will be a B2B in the Carribbean. Going to check thru a bag with snorkel gear and liquids.

I'll bring a tote and DH will bring a computer bag.

For us we usually pack two 28" bags and then we have a rolling duffel for DH's dive equipment (has a zip compartment on bottom where shoes go;)). Now, we generally go for 8-10 night trips with 2 or 3 formal nights, so I too do a lot of mix & match (using same basic skirt with multiple tops). Love the crushable fabrics for packing. Most trips do take advantage of the laundry services cruise line offers mid trip. Also, most trips we are arriving a day before and staying a day after, so we are packing for 10-14 days:D

Ok ladies (and men too), what size suitcase do you pack for a 7 day cruise?

Depends on destination. for a 7 day Caribbean cruise on a ship with no formal evenings I would pack a 21" roller that I could take on the plane. That and my large purse. We use ship's laundry special which is usually midweek. For Alaska or for ships with formal evenings I would check a bag, probably 26".

We had a 14 night Alaska cruise on HAL with 5 formal nights. DH and I shared a 28" checked bag and shared an 18" backpack carryon.

On our long cruises (26-33 days) I cross pack with my DH. We each have one checked 28" bag and one 18" backpack carry-on.

A rolling garment bag, a 21 inch carry on and a small wheeled carry-on - and yes, we tend to overpack! However, my husband used a CPAP machine and that tends to take up space!!

My husband also uses a CPAP but since it is a medical device so in US does not count in carryon limit he carries that case separately. We do not pack it in a carryon. For international flights he has a Dr certificate for it as medically necessary (even though not used aboard plane) so he can still have that case plus his carry-on backpack.

It depends on whether I'm driving to the port or flying, as well as whether I'm going to a cold-weather climate or a warm-weather one. In August I'm driving to the port for a Caribbean cruise and I'll take as much luggage as I feel like, plus I'll tape a luggage tag onto a case of bottled water and hope it gets delivered to my room. But in January I'm flying to San Juan for another Caribbean cruise and will probably check one suitcase and carry on another. And will skip the case of water unless I buy one in SJ.

I have also flown for years for work and never once had an issue with checked luggage. But I carry a purse and a laptop so unless I stuff the purse into a carry-on I just can't seem to manage without checking a bag. I admire those who can do 3 month trips with just a carry-on, but I don't really care to be one of them. :)

Archived