Alaska Jackets- HELP

Marlster

I cant seem to find where someone had mentioned where to buy the Alaska rain waterproof (I think) jackets in Alaska. What ports are they readily available and I think I remember the price being $19.99. Thanks

I cant seem to find where someone had mentioned where to buy the Alaska rain waterproof (I think) jackets in Alaska. What ports are they readily available and I think I remember the price being $19.99. Thanks

The problem I suspect with the cheap jackets is that they do not breath. This means that they can be really warm and sweaty. I would go to an outdoor store and buy a real rain jacket that has long term value.

DON

The problem I suspect with the cheap jackets is that they do not breath. This means that they can be really warm and sweaty. I would go to an outdoor store and buy a real rain jacket that has long term value.

DON

Exactly!!

We got ours years ago at Dick's at home. Also love the zippered linings.

Tongass Trading, thats it , thanks so much.

You're welcome! As mentioned there are other options in all the ports but if you want to shop on line before - you should find what you need :)

We bought the $19.99 Tongass Alaska jackets in Ketchikan last month. We did not want to pack jackets and thought if we didn't like them we would leave them behind. We used them almost every day of the two weeks we were there and loved them. They are now back in Florida and hopefully we won't have to use them too many times this winter.

• 4 months later...
The best jacket I found is sold by Princess on board . Bought one three years ago. Liked it so much that I bought another one this June.

What are the Alaska jackets like that are sold on board Princess ships. Everyone seems to really like them. Where can I see a picture? Are they a rain jacket or also to keep you warm? Warm when standing in front of ship in Glacier Bay, etc? How much do they cost and are they always available on-board if we take a chance and wait until our cruise in May 2014? Good looking enough to wear in winter in Massachusetts?

If you've already bought a miracle breathable fabric (Gortex etc) jacket specifically for southeast Alaska, it looks great on you. makes you look slimmer. stop reading now.

I'm sorry that science will crush your dreams but the thing is (according to Boyle's third law of gas dynamics) you can't push water uphill. The humidity inside your jacket has to be greater than the humidity of the air outside your jacket for the moisture to magically wick away. Warm air (inside your jacket) will hold more moisture than cool air (cold = condensation and fog). In southeast, we are usually at 100% humidity anytime we have a precip event. It has to be raining inside your jacket before the miracle occurs.

If breathable fabrics worked in high humidity environments, wouldn't all of your heros on Deadliest Catch be wearing them rather than Hellys or Grundens?

You will look sharp and thinner, but breathable just isn't a miracle where the air is already saturated with moisture.

Tongass Trading, thats it , thanks so much.

Tongass Trading Company is within 100 yards of the port and quite visible. On the main floor is the tourist area with the $19.95 jackets (I bought 4 of the reversible jackets for gifts). The Alaskan-scene fleeces are striking and very warm. Ulu knives with Alaska wording are about $10.00.

Upstairs is where the Alaskans shop for outfitting gear. If you forgot you lightweight underwear they have a good selection of UnderArmour. Ulu knive without logo is $5 upstairs (great gifts).

A previous poster had their URL so you can see prices in advance.

Besides the $19.95 jackets available in most ports so are the $9.99 fleece sleeveless vests..I bought 3 of these (different colors) and have made great use of them. They'll be going back to Alaska with me in May.