Would you pay an extra $1000 to cruise over New Years?

Vt Rider

For the past two years I've booked cruises as Christmas presents for my kids ages 13-15. We've taken them over February break and they love it. This year I'm considering a New Years cruise on the Splendor out of New York. It would be $1000 more to go over New Years as opposed to the same cruise in February. These are connecting interior rooms. I think it would be great for the kids to learn about the cruise on Christmas Day and tell them to pack their bags because we're leaving in two days.

Hard to justify the extra $1000 when it's already a streach to do the cruise this year.

Any thoughts?

Guest fyree39

If it were just DH and I, then I doubt I'd do it. But if the kids were involved, and the excitement of a surprise, I would indeed do it. Just tell the kids you're spending their inheritance a little early. :D

Not a chance! I am able to travel more times a year to more places because I chose not to travel during peak times. I typically cruise in the Spring and Fall because those are the cheapest times. I see absolutely no reason to pay a premimum to go on the same ship to the same ports just becuase its new years or summer vacation time.

My parents took a carnival cruise over New Years last year and loved it! They had a huge party on the pool deck on NY Eve with free champagne and party favors, and the ships horn blew at midnight. Not sure if that is worth the extra $$ though...I would prob go on the Feb cruise and put the money towards excursions...

No way. Not if it is already a stretch.

You can still give it to them as a Christmas gift -- they can just be excited until February!

Last year we gave the kids a trip to FL for Christmas. Got the grandparents on board as well -- one set gave everybody a Disney ticket, one set gave everybody Universal. An uncle did Sea World, etc.

We gave NO physical gift. In fact, we wrapped packed suitcases. We DID leave on Christmas Day, but this year we will give a trip as the gift again and will NOT leave right away. In fact, we won't be taking the trip until summer!

By the way, our kids range from 5-15. After the trip we asked if they would like a trip as their Christmas gift again, and the unanimous, enthusiastic answer was YES. When we asked again over dinner a few weeks ago, long after the "trip buzz" had worn off, the answer was STILL an enthusiastic, unanimous YES.

We, as parents, feel SO much better about giving in this way then we did when it was all "stuff." Giving memories, family time, experiences seems so much more in the true spirit of Christmas to us!

No way. Not if it is already a stretch.

You can still give it to them as a Christmas gift -- they can just be excited until February!

Last year we gave the kids a trip to FL for Christmas. Got the grandparents on board as well -- one set gave everybody a Disney ticket, one set gave everybody Universal. An uncle did Sea World, etc.

We gave NO physical gift. In fact, we wrapped packed suitcases. We DID leave on Christmas Day, but this year we will give a trip as the gift again and will NOT leave right away. In fact, we won't be taking the trip until summer!

By the way, our kids range from 5-15. After the trip we asked if they would like a trip as their Christmas gift again, and the unanimous, enthusiastic answer was YES. When we asked again over dinner a few weeks ago, long after the "trip buzz" had worn off, the answer was STILL an enthusiastic, unanimous YES.

We, as parents, feel SO much better about giving in this way then we did when it was all "stuff." Giving memories, family time, experiences seems so much more in the true spirit of Christmas to us!

^^^^^^THIS^^^^

We started giving vacations as gifts last year and WE LOVE IT!!!

If it is already a stretch to cruise, why make it harder for yourself by spending another thousand dollars that you could have saved by just postponing your trip for a few weeks.

I understand the desire to want to surprise your kids, but I think they will be more happy if that thousand dollars were spent on them (excursions, specialty restaurants) as opposed to lining Carnival's pocket.

No. I think the kids would much rather have that $1000 in extra presents while still getting to go on the cruise 2 months later.

If I were a kid and you said cruise or Playstation 4 and cruise. I would take the playstation and cruise.

If it is a stretch, GO FOR IT.

If it breaks the bank, then NO.

A stretch will come back to the original. A break will NEVER.... :rolleyes:

You will be thinking of it while on the ship all the time if it breaks the bank..

For the past two years I've booked cruises as Christmas presents for my kids ages 13-15. We've taken them over February break and they love it. This year I'm considering a New Years cruise on the Splendor out of New York. It would be $1000 more to go over New Years as opposed to the same cruise in February. These are connecting interior rooms. I think it would be great for the kids to learn about the cruise on Christmas Day and tell them to pack their bags because we're leaving in two days.

Hard to justify the extra $1000 when it's already a streach to do the cruise this year.

Any thoughts?

We wouldn't pay $1000 extra to cruise. While it would be a nice gift for the kids for Xmas I couldn't justify doing it. We always search for the best deals and then book. $1000 would pay 1/2 our fee for a 7-day cruise.

We have been cruising over Christmas/new Years almost every year. Cruising at this time of year is the only time we can get the 4 of us together as a family. To us, the almost double price we pay is well worth it in the memories our two kids have made over the years on all our cruises. Now that dd22 just graduated college and began a full- time job in NYC, we are hoping to continue our family tradition of cruising during this expensive time- is she can get that week off!!:)

Archived