Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Begin Sarcasm

I think allowing one bottle of water and one can of soda would be good. I don't bring either aboard, so I guess I would be "happy" if they restricted it so HAL could get more on board revenue. They should drain the pools too, since I don't use them. Think how much better the service would be if staff didn't have to fool around with the pools.

End sarcasm

Finally, some comic relief! Love it!

So far, the top three reasons as to why this is such a good policy appear to be (in no particular order):

1. It will save money for HAL cruisers.

2. It will reduce the amount of E-Coli or Noro outbreaks on the ship.

3. HAL cruisers will no longer get 'tired out' by watching other HAL cruisers bring cases of wine on board.

I hope that HAL's PR folks are reading this. They may want to incorporate these reasons in their press release.

Or maybe not.

Passengers will now feel they're on a cruise and not a camping trip

I disagree.

I do not think that they should drain the hot tubs or the swimming pools.

They should charge people for using them.

This would allow HAL to save us even more money.

And to Wakepatrol's comment.....HAL could call the new experience a Cruise Safari......make it even more special.

Edited by iancal

It's really to keep up with this huge thread, I don't dare leave the computer. In regards to the policy, I have never brought wine on when boarding. But I have bought a bottle or two on shore excursions and I really hate to see this go. I have grand voyage planned and paid for, I really hope HAL understands and makes some adjustments.

To the point of checking bags, it did happen to me in Venice. My bag was held in security, behind the front office, because it had a swiss pen knife inside. They didn't even notify me until I started calling. Ironically, the reason I packed army knife was because it had a wine opener on it.

Al

It was found in her checked bag. The bag did not make it to her room. This is my proof. I'm pretty sure the someone that works for Hal security has also said bags are x-rayed. I'm still waiting for your proof that they are not but my guess is that you don't have any proof but are trying to save face.

Where is Copper10-8 when we need him? He posted several years ago that all luggage that went aboard the ship was checked. I think Bruce Muzz posted something similar. It's just inconceivable that in 2013 they would allow luggage to come aboard ship without being searched by some means (x-ray, sight, or maybe dog). We are talking about US embarkation ports.

More sarcasm - they can also drain the hot tubs. I never use those. Should cut back on the noro-virus on the ships, thus decreasing the staffing levels required in the MDR and Lido. Thus saving HAL more money!

http://travelindustrytoday.com/web/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=16380:carnival-in-hot-water-class-action-alleges-flesh-eating-bacteria-in-onboard-hot-tubs&Itemid=64

If for no other reason, this will make you think twice about the hot tubs!

Where is Copper10-8 when we need him? He posted several years ago that all luggage that went aboard the ship was checked. I think Bruce Muzz posted something similar. It's just inconceivable that in 2013 they would allow luggage to come aboard ship without being searched by some means (x-ray, sight, or maybe dog). We are talking about US embarkation ports.

Ok, I haven't lost it. I was quite sure copper posted that.

I certainly hope they do xray all bags - makes me feel a whole lot safer. But common sense tells me they probably don't.... maybe at random? And they have sniffer dogs.

And why stop there? Do we really need room stewards? How hard would it be to ask passengers to make their own beds and keep their rooms neat? HAL could leave a (complimentary!) set of trial-sized cleaning products and a disposable mop & cloth in each bathroom. Suites would be treated to higher-end products.

Now THAT would be a signature of excellence. :rolleyes:

Only 2 meals a day and maybe one small afternoon snack would not only cut back on HAL's food and labor costs saving pax even more money' date=' but would help pax stay healthy while enjoying their vacation. There's no telling how cheap a cruise could get.[/quote']

Could also save if they didn't have lobster at least once a cruise especially since I'm allergic to it. No more beef either except in Pinnacle. I'm thinking pasta and salads for all with an upcharge if you want a protein with it (tongue firmly in cheek guys, firmly in cheek ;))

With all this money being saved for HAL cruisers....soon HAL may even pay us to take a cruise.

I would be in favour of this as long as HAL could guarantee us free upgrades, keep the Mariner lunch program, and maintain the medallion program.

Edited by iancal

Of course I can't provide proof, but I cas assure you that all bags are not x-rayed at every port. End of subject. Believe what you want to believe.

They are x rayed at every embarkation port (my bold)

Holland America Line Cruises and Cruisetours only: You agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in your carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of U.S. $20.00 per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by you and consumed in the ship’s restaurants and/or bars. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event your luggage is locked, you will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of this policy will be removed and returned to you on the last night of the voyage. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the voyage. Any guest who violates the alcohol policy, including refusal of a luggage search or screening, or any guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. You will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by your violation of this policy.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/legalAndPrivacy/Main.action#

And place your bets. Taking bets on how many pages this thread will go.

Winner wins a bottle of wine

I'm in. I say 83!!

I like merlots! I hope this doesn't count against my 1 token bottle allowance.

ML

And place your bets. Taking bets on how many pages this thread will go.

Winner wins a bottle of wine

What's the point - it's probably 2 buck chuck since that is what you always refer to - and I won't take that on board:rolleyes:;) (tongue firmly in cheek)

And I hope it is a big thread - I hope HAL gets the message.

It's not often we see one like this - and isn't that a good thing?

Are we supposed to just lay down and let this happen?

You can if you want - I won't:D

I certainly hope they do xray all bags - makes me feel a whole lot safer. But common sense tells me they probably don't.... maybe at random? And they have sniffer dogs.

The sniffer dogs are all St. Bernards. Searching for vino and booze only.

They could turn that 'fan program' into a real money saver for cruisers.

Drop the AC in all cabins-not just a few as they currently do....then charge a daily rental for each fan that is placed I in your cabin.

Edited by iancal