Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

But, Jacqui,,,,,,, YOU did not sing praises of Celebrity's wine list and prices. YOU are not to whom I was referring. My mention is of those who repeatedly post comments of how much better Celebrity handles wine. My post was about those folks.

You also were not among those to whom I was referring.

My message is about those who are comparing how wonderful Celebrity is. So great...... go to Celebrity. :) Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I did not include all who are unhappy with HAL's change of policy. I am totally neutral on the change. I didn't care when people brought wine aboard and I don't care they no longer can bring large quantities. We never lugged wine yet enjoy wine nightly in HAL's MDR and alternative restaurants every evening. We find plenty of choices to please us on the wine lists.

I have no horse in this race. HAL's change of wine policy means nothing to us.

Those who do have a horse and don't like what HAL did but really like what Celebrity does have a viable choice,,,, do they not?

Thanks Judy for the clarification - we all have a choice:D Some had not seen the Celebrity wine listing and some had.

There is no question it surpasses HAL's. That being said, Celebrity is not my cruise line of choice - but there are lots of others out there;)

I assume most folks who are HAL loyalists choose the line repeatedly for something more than just its wine policy.

We are not drinkers (my DH doesn't drink at all) but choose HAL because they have the best itineraries at sea. Our last two cruises on HAL were a 17 night Voyage of the Vikings from Boston to Amsterdam (where stops included both Greenland and Iceland and a chance to go to the Military Tattoo in Scotland), and a 22 night cruise from Valparaiso Chile to NYC with a full transit of the Panama Canal, opportunity to fly over the Nazca Lines (not offered by HAL but we arranged on our own) and ability to leave the ship for a few days and go to Machu Picchu, as well as great Canada New England itineraries (ships can get to Montreal), and non of these are offered on the other lines we have used.

BUT, when we start seeing plastic flowers in the public restrooms and now someone mentions paper towels, plus the fact it has appeared they have had no interest in attracting newer and younger passengers based on the fact they have been doing Signature of Excellence upgrades but totally skipping any updates in the gym we start to wonder where they are heading.

Note that I did enjoy the ability to bring on wine from a Chilean winery and have done so in Santorini as well, so that is disappointing it will no longer be allowed. There is no way I would place red wine in the same luggage as my clothing, but enjoyed it on the ship and last trip actually brought a bottle and gave a gift to friends we visited in Ft Lauderdale before continuing the cruise to NYC.

Edited by Jade13

Hi All:

I am a wee bit confused about a few things here. First of all if you look at the PDF document entitled "what you need to know" it shows a date on the last page in the lower right hand corner of 7/18/13 so I believe this new policy is a little older than yesterday.

Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Also as I read what the document says, and mind you I am not an attorney, I believe it is worded quite strangely.

It states and I quote "Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage."

I am quite sure that HAL differentiates between carry-on and checked luggage. Nowhere does it say that you can not have wine in your checked baggage. It only states your carry-on luggage.

HAL has a battery of lawyers that write these policy's. I find it hard to believe that the wording does not state "each guest is allowed to bring on only one bottle of wine or champagne at embarkation only."

Is this the potential loophole?

From what I was told the policy went into place starting with Embarkations on the ships on Friday July 26, 2013, what I wrote with it going into place YESTERDAY was correct.

Perhaps HAL should co-ordinate their wine policy in the same manner as their pricing.

Mariners could be permitted to bring one bottle each on board. Newbies could be permitted to bring in a case if they so wished.

This would encourage new customers while no doubt keeping the older, loyal customers.

That could make new cruisers very popular people. And change the focus of rollcalls.

From what I was told the policy went into place starting with Embarkations on the ships on Friday July 26, 2013, what I wrote with it going into place YESTERDAY was correct.

But what the new policy also says is :"Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation

for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject

to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the

restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers

reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom

consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge

on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be

added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check

points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age

21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior),

may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense."

Perhaps HAL should co-ordinate their wine policy in the same manner as their pricing.

Mariners could be permitted to bring one bottle each on board. Newbies could be permitted to bring in a case if they so wished.

This would encourage new customers while no doubt keeping the older, loyal customers.

Don't give them any ideas:D.

I've read repeatedly in this thread how great Celebrity's wine list and wine prices are.

What I don't understand is if they are so much more to your liking, why are you not sailing their ships? :confused: Even before HAL's policy change if you liked Celebrity's choices so much, why were you lugging wine to HAL when you could have simply enjoyed the wine list on board "X's" ships?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Why am I not sailing on Celebrity? Well, for one thing, when I started cruising fairly regularly, they didn't have many itineraries on the West Coast and HAL did. My one Celebrity cruise we thoroughly enjoyed including their wine list. We also had to fly there so we did not carry wine. Having a very good list on board at reasonable mark ups was a bonus and we did spend.

When we were looking for our Alaskan Cruise in 2010 with our group, we all picked one line and researched the pros and cons (HAL, Celebrity, Princess and Regent). Weighing all things including cost, itinerary and wine list/policy, HAL won out (Glacier Bay also had a lot to do with it). We had a fabulous time and subsequently went on two more HAL cruises as a couple. We thought we had the perfect balance of itinerary and comfort.

So now, all things are pretty much equal as Celebrity has been adding more west coast departures the last couple of years. So they will be back on our consider list and HAL's place in the slotting will be dropping to "comparable" instead of in first place.

To put it bluntly, if we wanted to sail Carnival Cruise Lines "Fun Ships" we would. HAL is doing too many Carnival-like things lately for my taste. I truly hope that those folks going to the Med/Australia/NZ cruises will be allowed some leeway so that they can enjoy their discoveries from the vineyard :)

Seriously. I don't take anything from HAL or anyone. For him to say that is just wrong. If you did my job, you wouldn't take it lightly.

Well, you take it too seriously. And, how, pray tell, would you sue someone for libel when your real name is not given, and the "defendant's" real name is not given? If you were to come to me for a consultation, I would laugh you out of the office.

But, Jacqui,,,,,,, YOU did not sing praises of Celebrity's wine list and prices. YOU are not to whom I was referring. My mention is of those who repeatedly post comments of how much better Celebrity handles wine. My post was about those folks.

You also were not among those to whom I was referring.

My message is about those who are comparing how wonderful Celebrity is. So great...... go to Celebrity. :) Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Hi, If I am amongst those you are referring to I only posted some of the Celebrity wine list because someone asked to see it for comparison purposes. I than suggested someone else was welcome to post the rest of the list and perhaps someone else could post HAL's and compare. The wine policy makes no difference to us as my DH doesn't drink at all and I never brought on more than 2 bottles and stopped years ago since it is much easier to purchase onboard.

We choose by itinerary first and if we don't like any will take a land vacation, which is what we did earlier this year when we went to Africa and Egypt.

Edited by Jade13

We are not drinkers (my DH doesn't drink at all) but choose HAL because they have the best itineraries at sea. Our last two cruises on HAL were a 17 night Voyage of the Vikings from Boston to Amsterdam (where stops included both Greenland and Iceland and a chance to go to the Military Tattoo in Scotland), and a 22 night cruise from Valparaiso Chile to NYC with a full transit of the Panama Canal, opportunity to fly over the Nazca Lines (not offered by HAL but we arranged on our own) and ability to leave the ship for a few days and go to Machu Picchu, as well as great Canada New England itineraries (ships can get to Montreal), and non of these are offered on the other lines we have used.

BUT, when we start seeing plastic flowers in the public restrooms and now someone mentions paper towels, plus the fact it has appeared they have had no interest in attracting newer and younger passengers based on the fact they have been doing Signature of Excellence upgrades but totally skipping any updates in the gym we start to wonder where they are heading.

Note that I did enjoy the ability to bring on wine from a Chilean winery and have done so in Santorini as well, so that is disappointing it will no longer be allowed. There is no way I would place red wine in the same luggage as my clothing, but enjoyed it on the ship and last trip actually brought a bottle and gave a gift to friends we visited in Ft Lauderdale before continuing the cruise to NYC.

I can totally understand about crappy gym equipment but I really don't get the paper towel thing. I SO wished this is the worst thing that I have had to deal with lately. Many people lost their houses in the Calgary area in the worst flooding in Alberta history. Is wiping your hands on paper towels that bad? Pretty sure folks around here would be happy to have such a problem.

I wish Lisa would come back here and tell us how she obtained the HAL Wine Policy Change ... and if HAL asked her to notify her clients about the change. I'm also wondering if all TA's received what Lisa posted.

No they didn't. I told my TA about it yesterday, she hadn't heard anything.

Is HAL making a distinction between "wine/champagne" versus their listed prohibited alcoholic beverages - to mean only prohibiting beer, boxed wine or other liquors and spirits"?

Or does the policy term alcoholic beverages also include wine/champagne?

In other words is this new policy only restricting amounts of embarkation day carry-on wine, but nothing else?

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their

carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard.

Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage.

Guests will not receive any monetary compensation

for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

evening of the voyage.

A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject

to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the

restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers

reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom

consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge

on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be

added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check

points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age

21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior),

may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

Edited by OlsSalt

Is HAL making a distinction between "wine/champagne" versus their listed prohibited alcoholic beverages - to mean only prohibiting beer, boxed wine or other liquors and spirits"?

Or does the policy term alcoholic beverages also include wine/champagne?

In other words is this new policy only restricting amounts of embarkation day carry-on wine, but nothing else?

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their

carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard. ....

evening of the voyage.

I think it's pretty clear. Alcoholic Beverages heads the section and is defined and detaed below.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I wish Lisa would come back here and tell us how she obtained the HAL Wine Policy Change ... and if HAL asked her to notify her clients about the change. I'm also wondering if all TA's received what Lisa posted.

I was made aware of this many months ago, and Have mentioned here on CC numerous time that I knew this was going to happen. I remember several months ago being told I was wrong and this would not happen. I have also posted that there was a change that was going to be a shock to many. I was told shortly after HAL had their annual conference in May that this would be implemented very soon. I just happened to be on the phone with HAL yesterday morning in regards to the Explore4 and talking to a Rep that I frequently have talked with and he said you know that they started yesterday on the ships the new Wine policy. He stated it was all a shock to them as well that it was implemented so quickly.

No, TA's have not been officially given this information.

I guess I am not surprised by HAL's change of policy,..however, I am upset that I have not been notified by HAL and I have 2 cruises booked and paid for, one in Aug and one in Jan. HAL has offered new bookings for 2014 an EXplore 4 package which I think they should apply to all who have already booked their reservations prior to this change of policy. It really sounds as if HAL is strictly going to reinforce this policy...now, if they would enforce their dress code as strictly, I might be impressed!

I was made aware of this many months ago, and Have mentioned here on CC numerous time that I knew this was going to happen. I remember several months ago being told I was wrong and this would not happen. I have also posted that there was a change that was going to be a shock to many. I was told shortly after HAL had their annual conference in May that this would be implemented very soon. I just happened to be on the phone with HAL yesterday morning in regards to the Explore4 and talking to a Rep that I frequently have talked with and he said you know that they started yesterday on the ships the new Wine policy. He stated it was all a shock to them as well that it was implemented so quickly.

No, TA's have not been officially given this information.

Lisa - I am not surprised at all that they are restricting the wine - you certainly gave a subtle enough warning.;) What I am surprised at is that there is no wine permitted at ports of call - even with corkage:eek:

That's what blew me away.

I really feel sorry for those that boarded on July 26th and were completely caught off guard and potentially embarrassed:(

I guess I am not surprised by HAL's change of policy,..however, I am upset that I have not been notified by HAL and I have 2 cruises booked and paid for, one in Aug and one in Jan. HAL has offered new bookings for 2014 an EXplore 4 package which I think they should apply to all who have already booked their reservations prior to this change of policy. It really sounds as if HAL is strictly going to reinforce this policy...now, if they would enforce their dress code as strictly, I might be impressed!

HAL? Enforcing a dress code???? Buwahahahaha :D They have to get all those guys in backwards baseball caps and cutoffs into the MDR so they can buy wine from the list ;)

(snark!)

Lisa - I am not surprised at all that they are restricting the wine - you certainly gave a subtle enough warning.;) What I am surprised at is that there is no wine permitted at ports of call - even with corkage:eek:

That's what blew me away.

I really feel sorry for those that boarded on July 26th and were completely caught off guard and potentially embarrassed:(

Jacqui, I agree, there should have been some warning and a date given when this would be implemented. That is why I was actually a bit shocked and thought it would not happen till fall.

Now I could be totally wrong and this is only a total guess on my part not from anything that has been mentioned to me but with the out cry from many Mariners they may revise this to mirror Princess and this could get redefined quickly

Just my two cents but I almost would have rather they done something like NCL where you can bring on as much as you want but you pay corkage fee up front and they place a sticker on the bottle. While there still would have been many screaming it would have calmed down the majority.

Jacqui, I agree, there should have been some warning and a date given when this would be implemented. That is why I was actually a bit shocked and thought it would not happen till fall.

Now I could be totally wrong and this is only a total guess on my part not from anything that has been mentioned to me but with the out cry from many Mariners they may revise this to mirror Princess and this could get redefined quickly

Just my two cents but I almost would have rather they done something like NCL where you can bring on as much as you want but you pay corkage fee up front and they place a sticker on the bottle. While there still would have been many screaming it would have calmed down the majority.

I think that NCL's policy is extremely fair for all involved. If HAL did this, I would gladly pay the corkage fee upon embarkation.

Sounds familiar.

We are also 3 star, got there in 3 years due to suite bonus and onboard spending.

We have only ever booked deluxe suites and paid high prices for them.

HAL does not have anything we like when it comes to wine. It is very standard, and everything is not for everyone.

They do not carry one Chianti, one Sangria or one flavored sparkling wine. The Port? Barely any. Dessert wines? No.

We are doing NCL next year. Our love affair with HAL is over.

If they had a beverage package like X, then we would reconsider. Or charged corkage fees for everything? We would also reconsider.

Buying a bottle to take a gamle to see if we like it? No way.

Got a wine package last year as a gift and hated all of it.

This year we have booked a family retreat cabana, thermal suite, 2 villas on HMC, 2 bottles of liquor, a couples massage, $2000 in pre paid onboard spending as well as the cabin.

Next year we will spend 0 with them.

Such a shame. Keep up with the other lines or lose the younger crowd. bottom line.

You will love your HAVEN suite. So many perks, and your own restaurant, amazing.

And it is not that they changed the policy, it is just that they are not honoring it with people who have booked already.

That is a shady ripoff. If I changed my policy's after clients booked, I would get sued. HAL gets away with it, without apology to people that have paid them in good faith.

It is also that they have a crappy wine list, and crappy beverage package that compares to Carnival. It comes nowhere near X.

I will sail Carnival when I want to. I do not want Carnival when I am sailing HAL.

Surely they can make a jug of Sangria for you? It shouldn't be beyond the barman's capabilities?