Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Sure glad I saw this thread in time to move my April, 2014 Transatlantic cruise from HAL to Celebrity. The wine policy was a true point of distinction for HAL, particularly on an 15 day cruise. Absent it, other lines are more attractive IMO.

One bottle of wine per person for a 15 day voyage? One would have to bring a Very small wine glass along.

And it looks to me that Celebrity is less costly on newer, more modern ships as well.

• 1 month later...

I have a hard time with Holland America's policy change with Wine.

From one extreme of allowing unlimited wine without any corkage fee, to the polar opposite where you can only bring one bottle wine for the entire voyage. I really wish Holland America does view the negative response on cruise critic, and revise their policy to allow for guests to pay for a corkage fee for their wine ($20-$30 USD per bottle). Even contemporary cruise lines like Norwegian & Royal Caribbean have revised their policies to allow wines aboard their ship, subject to a corkage fee.

I hope Holland America, recognizes that they may lose high end guests, to their policy. Right now, I am working with a group of looking at Holland America, where we have guests that are looking acquire Pinnacle Suite & Neptune Suites, and are looking at bring bottles of wine in the range of $300-$500 per bottle, and when reviewing their wine list, nothing comes at all comparable. Disappointing Holland America may lose over $50,000 of revenue because of this policy, when they could just invoke a corkage fee.

I had prepared a proposal with other Carnival Corp brands, but I am looking at supporting a Non-Carnival Corp, as I believe their viewpoint, as long as we are booking with another sister brand, the money is coming to the same family. I really hope they evaluate their policy, and allow guest to bring bottles of wines, and do charge a corkage fee.

From one extreme of allowing unlimited wine without any corkage fee, to the polar opposite where you can only bring one bottle wine for the entire voyage. I really wish Holland America does view the negative response on cruise critic, and revise their policy to allow for guests to pay for a corkage fee for their wine ($20-$30 USD per bottle). Even contemporary cruise lines like Norwegian & Royal Caribbean have revised their policies to allow wines aboard their ship, subject to a corkage fee.

I hope Holland America, recognizes that they may lose high end guests, to their policy. Right now, I am working with a group of looking at Holland America, where we have guests that are looking acquire Pinnacle Suite & Neptune Suites, and are looking at bring bottles of wine in the range of $300-$500 per bottle, and when reviewing their wine list, nothing comes at all comparable. Disappointing Holland America may lose over $50,000 of revenue because of this policy, when they could just invoke a corkage fee.

I had prepared a proposal with other Carnival Corp brands, but I am looking at supporting a Non-Carnival Corp, as I believe their viewpoint, as long as we are booking with another sister brand, the money is coming to the same family. I really hope they evaluate their policy, and allow guest to bring bottles of wines, and do charge a corkage fee.

I totally agree. I don't know if I am a 'high end' guest but we have booked some Neptune Suites in the past (verandahs are very nice too). Unless there is a change - none of our future bookings are for a full priced Neptune Suite.

Happy to pay a corkage fee if necessary - I just think they didn't need to go from one extreme to the other and that at the very least, they could have been more liberal with at least some cabin categories - but they made their choice - so we made ours;)

I totally agree. I don't know if I am a 'high end' guest but we have booked some Neptune Suites in the past (verandahs are very nice too). Unless there is a change - none of our future bookings are for a full priced Neptune Suite.

Happy to pay a corkage fee if necessary - I just think they didn't need to go from one extreme to the other and that at the very least, they could have been more liberal with at least some cabin categories - but they made their choice - so we made ours;)

I agree we should have a happy medium, I do know Holland America does views the response on cruise critic, even though they may not provide a response. My hope with this posting is that Holland America does view it, and takes a look at their policy and see the errors of their ways, and know they still have a chance to right their wrongs.

We just got home from our Alaska cruise, and found a snail mail awaiting us from C. Ferris (office of the President) - having already had 2 email responses from this person - and quoting a case number and my booking numbers.

This was a little different, and was a bit of a downer coming right after the cruise - which we enjoyed. To quote "We deeply regret your continuing displeasure. It truly concerns us that your experience with us and our previous correspondence were not wholly satisfactory. Once again we sincerely apologise..etc".

It then goes on to give me info on the Signature Beverage Package (which I did not ask for), and then says they appreciate my feeback on how they may continue to improve.

But it was evident whatever I had to suggest was being ignored. I had written with regard to increasing the wine allowance for longer cruises, suggested corkage for bottles over the intended allowance, and also said they should revise the policy to allow wine to be brought onboard in ports.

In general, after coming back from an enjoyable cruise, this letter felt like the middle finger being held up......

Just an innocent question--please don't attack-- BUT if you are drinking $500 a bottle wine, why would you be sailing on HAL? Just an innocent question. Why not a "luxury"cruise line? I know that HAL is not shall we say Carnival or RCL but it certainly is a Mid Tier line. And who wants to drag cases of wine or ANY beverage with them on a cruise? We like HAL for certain voyages but book the Neptune Suites for convenience utilizing the Pinnacle Grill for dinner each night. I don't claim to be a wine connoisseur so maybe that covers my lack of understanding.

Edited by debijaynes
punctuation

so has this policy started now or does it start in january ive gone back over so many threads im confused, have they brought it in early or is this still starting jan 2014 , we are cruising in 10days really would like to know what the real story is

It starts in January

Just an innocent question--please don't attack-- BUT if you are drinking $500 a bottle wine, why would you be sailing on HAL? Just an innocent question. Why not a "luxury"cruise line? I know that HAL is not shall we say Carnival or RCL but it certainly is a Mid Tier line. And who wants to drag cases of wine or ANY beverage with them on a cruise? We like HAL for certain voyages but book the Neptune Suites for convenience utilizing the Pinnacle Grill for dinner each night. I don't claim to be a wine connoisseur so maybe that covers my lack of understanding.

The reason for utilizing Holland America, over others lines like Oceania , Crystal or Regent. is the fact that this a larger group, where other guests will be purchasing Ocean View staterooms, and the consensus of the group was they wanted the most amount of friends to attend.

The reason for utilizing Holland America, over others lines like Oceania , Crystal or Regent. is the fact that this a larger group, where other guests will be purchasing Ocean View staterooms, and the consensus of the group was they wanted the most amount of friends to attend.

Thank you! That makes perfect sense.

Hi

the only way this will be overturned is when cruizers on ships that stop at ports where the offer wine testing/winery and you can buy bottles of wine to bring back to ship. Why would anyone got to wine country and not be able to bring back bottles of wine. No one will buy those tours and those the crazy and outrageous booze package. I would never drink that much in a day and thats including water

Mary

I don't understand why some people are so pleased about this. How does someone bringing their choice of wine onboard affect those who choose to not bring wine?

.... and we too would happily pay the corkage fee (which has now been increased) to bring aboard a few bottles more than the "limit".

Not often I write any company when I'm displeased, but I will be writing about this change.

I booked by Feb 2014 cruise last Nov. One of the reasons I leaned towards HAL was the wine policy. I usually buy 1 or 2 of their bottles, but like to bring my own (which I know is GOOD and at a fair price. Just looked at their wine list...White Zin (which my niece drinks) is going for $42 (Beringer that you can get for around $5 in any store). What a rip off. I too would be more than willing to pay corkage for any extra bottles I wished to bring on board....altho I think $20 is also a rip off. Just got my Mariner magazine....it's going strait into the trash.

I have not been on Cruise Critic for awhile but am planning a June 2014 Alaska Cruise Tour so saw this wine info last night for the first time. Bummer, as we usually bring our own wine. Will look for the petition but looking on the bright side, I won't have to worry about unfortunate wine accidents...a tote bag full of bubble wrapped wines and my library book tumbled out at we unloaded in Tampa for a cruise one time. What a mess! Red wine ruined the tote and I had to replace the "new" books for my local library!

Simply put, I am done with HAL. I know I'm only one person and it certainly doesn't matter, but I'll find another cruiseline. The last several cruises on HAL have not met my expectations. Now, this change in policy is the straw that broke this camel's back. I just booked a cruise on Celebrity for March 2014. I had planned to book on HAL, but didn't.

I didn't really read this thread, but I can imagine all the people who will be celebrating this move. I never really understood that attitude, but to each his own.