Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Kazu:

I have seen your posts on here many times. You know many more people on CC than I do. A thread needs to be started with this information. You starting a thread with this idea will get much more response than me initiating a thread. The complaints need to be set aside and a plan needs to be developed that HAL may actually listen to. I can assure you negative publicity on FaceBook carries much more weight than CC.

Laminator - it's your idea.

May I ask you to start it please? I have already being lambasted and misinterpreted because I have gone looking.

I will happily join in and support your thread:D

It is a terrific idea - please, please start the thread.

I have been very vocal on this and I think it would be accepted much better by someone who has not;)

Laminator - it's your idea.

May I ask you to start it please? I have already being lambasted and misinterpreted because I have gone looking.

I will happily join in and support your thread:D

It is a terrific idea - please, please start the thread.

I have been very vocal on this and I think it would be accepted much better by someone who has not;)

I'll start it. I could always use a good lambasting...LOL!!!!

I'll start it. I could always use a good lambasting...LOL!!!!

NO - I don't think YOU will get lambasted as you have not been as vocal as I on this. You start it and I will be there in a second posting. We'll see if we can't get people's attention for a bit to post accordingly on face book.

It is truly a brilliant suggestion.:D

Thank you for it:D

Edited by kazu

Get ALL the facts--read the HAL document yourself, p. 6. This policy is not effective until January 2014. This post is a good example of why it is important to VERIFY with the company second-hand policy posts from passengers.

I have seen many great writers on Cruise Critic. Share your wonderful experience of having a glass of wine from a bottle you purchased in port wherever. Thank HAL for allowing you to enjoy that experience and then express your disappointment that you will no longer be able to do that.

That's a great idea!

A couple hours ago, HAL posted this request for pictures on their Facebook page:

Photo Shout Out! We need your help to fill our “Views on Deck” Pinterest board! Post your photos here or email them to info@hollandamericablog.com and they could be featured. See all “Views on Deck” photos here: http://*******/172i6lq

I'm thinking of some outstanding pictures I have from hosting a party on my aft-wrap balcony when we were "scenic cruising" from Castries to Soufriere last November. The scenery was lovely, and we enjoyed a combination of wine purchased from HAL and brought on board by passengers. That wouldn't be possible under the new rules, and it's too bad, because it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Get ALL the facts--read the HAL document yourself, p. 6. This policy is not effective until January 2014. This post is a good example of why it is important to VERIFY with the company second-hand policy posts from passengers.

I understand that the NEW policy takes effect in 2014. Once it goes into effect it will be much harder to have changed.

I can also tell you that the cruise documents that I printed out yesterday for my upcoming cruise Aug. 25th did not reflect the new date. It showed the wine policy as one bottle per pax at boarding.

That's a great idea!

A couple hours ago, HAL posted this request for pictures on their Facebook page:

Photo Shout Out! We need your help to fill our “Views on Deck” Pinterest board! Post your photos here or email them to info@hollandamericablog.com and they could be featured. See all “Views on Deck” photos here: http://*******/172i6lq

I'm thinking of some outstanding pictures I have from hosting a party on my aft-wrap balcony when we were "scenic cruising" from Castries to Soufriere last November. The scenery was lovely, and we enjoyed a combination of wine purchased from HAL and brought on board by passengers. That wouldn't be possible under the new rules, and it's too bad, because it was one of the highlights of our trip.

That is exactly what needs to be done.

The original posting that started this thread said on page 6 that the policy was in effect as of 7/18/2013. I checked this several times on HAL's website. It was still there up until approx 6:00 PM on Monday. Then the computers updated everything that night and a paragraph was added saying that the effective date was 1/31/2013. When the computers updated, Lisa's orginal message was updated too.

I also checked my express docs for two upcoming cruises and they also listed immediately. After the supposed "clarification" from HAL, a whole new paragraph was added. So yes, quite a few people including Lisa who wrote the orginal message checked to make sure their facts were correct.

"When the computers updated, Lisa's orginal message was updated too."

As I type this, the lead sentence in the OP's message remains unchanged from the original: "The New Wine Policy went into effect yesterday on Hollands America Ships." It was not updated.

The linked document, of course, was updated (by HAL), but the OP's message above it remains unchanged and in error. This perpetuates great anxiety among readers that is totally unnecessary and avoidable. It is a disservice to them.

As I type this, the lead sentence in the OP's message remains unchanged from the original: "The New Wine Policy went into effect yesterday on Hollands America Ships." It was not updated.

The linked document, of course, was updated (by HAL), but the OP's message above it remains unchanged and in error. This perpetuates great anxiety among readers that is totally unnecessary and avoidable. It is a disservice to them.

The title is totally relevant - that is what it was and this is what this thread was originally about. Lisa's post was absolutely correct.

To change a thread title you need to go to the mods. It just can't be 'done' by the op at this stage of the game.

Sure it could be changed - to what - changed immediately and now redone to January??

when this post was done it was to alert us - and what is the harm if a reader realizes that HAL changed the rules immediately?

since the link takes you to the new rules, I think most people are clever enough to figure things out if they don't want to read all the threads:)

Ted&Molly, When you post to this forum you only have a certain amount of time to go back and edit your post. I believe that it is like 20 minutes or something like that, but I could be mistaken. The original post was some time ago so I don't think the OP can go back and change anything in her post once the editing time is over.

WOW!!!!! Just started reading this 1000+ post today!! How very disappointing HAL!!! Our suite is booked for this December and one for March...Me thinks there may be a change of travel plans. Six month notice or not, this is far to extreme especially (and I probably shouldn't even touch on this one) when smoking has not been addressed. As usual the bottom line is the almighty $$$$ rules. Shame on you HAL:mad:

I was referring the the link to HAL's Wine Policy that Lisa attached ( http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf) .

It originally said revised 7/18/2103. When HAL updated their message, Lisa's link also updated.

Lisa can't go back and change the title or her wording three days later.

Edited by Storylady
Added link that is at the bottom of Lisa's message.

Are you saying that the thread is a disservice, because HAL changed the policy three days later after the thread was posted? She posted a link to the policy so that everyone would know that she wasn't posting incorrect information.

If she hadn't alerted everybody and people hadn't posted on Facebook we would not have the 6 months delay.

Ted&Molly,

I know you mean well, but the facts changed not Lisa's original statement. There is no disservice in that.

The original post alerted everyone concerned to a situation, and HAL changed their policy because of the outcry. I think if they were intent on instituting this new policy, then at least they were correct in extending the date of implementation.

So while it is not as many would like, at least it is a more reasonable implementation. That will not satisfy some... be that as it may.

The OP's statement is 'in error' only because the facts changed, but the original post was correct at the time submitted, and 'stands the test of time.' I'm not personally as upset as some, but any "great anxiety" was caused by HAL's unfortunate handling of the situation.

I hope that upon reflection, you will agree.

See you on the open seas one day! :)

I guess I don't really have anything new to add to this discussion, but I wanted to let my fellow Canadian Contingent know:

I'm proud of you all, holding up our national reputation for humour.

I guess I could whine about HAL sparking wine choices, lack of any Spanish cava, et cetera, blah blah blah.....but amending the policy to allow single bottles aboard in ports of call would take care of that.

Thanks to Lisa for posting this info. I've now passed it along, a week late :eek: on that teeny tiny cruise board on that gigantic travel site.

Reading this thread reminded me of how much I miss so many of you. And the others? "Bless your hearts!"

Edited by fann1sh

I guess I don't really have anything new to add to this discussion, but I wanted to let my fellow Canadian Contingent know:

I'm proud of you all, holding up our national reputation for humour.

I guess I could whine about HAL sparking wine choices, lack of any Spanish cava, et cetera, blah blah blah.....but amending the policy to allow single bottles aboard in ports of call would take care of that.

Thanks to Lisa for posting this info. I've now passed it along, a week late :eek: on that teeny tiny cruise board on that gigantic travel site.

Reading this thread reminded me of how much I miss so many of you. And the others? "Bless your hearts!"

LOL!!!!!! Thank you for my morning smile:D

Sure glad I saw this thread in time to move my April, 2014 Transatlantic cruise from HAL to Celebrity. The wine policy was a true point of distinction for HAL, particularly on an 15 day cruise. Absent it, other lines are more attractive IMO.

One bottle of wine per person for a 15 day voyage? One would have to bring a Very small wine glass along.