Which S class ships have Cabanas?

kevinyork

Having recently enjoyed our first taste of Celebrity on Eclipse, Ive read that some S class ships have cabanas. I have no interest in renting one and hate the idea that a chunk of the lawn is given over to the enjoyment of a few who pay for it.

Which S class ships have cabanas so I can avoid them?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It isn't a huge area though, so don't worry about booking the ships. To us, who have only ever known the Silhouette, they are on the edge of the lawn and don't take up that much space.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Personally I hate that a cruise company gives over an area to so few people just because they pay for it. In reality maybe about 24 people max may benefit with 2800 being restricted because of it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Personally I hate that a cruise company gives over an area to so few people just because they pay for it. In reality maybe about 24 people max may benefit with 2800 being restricted because of it.

If it makes you feel better - it really is not that much space -- totally over rated. Hardly anyone bothers with them ------ don't give up on the Silhouette as a result. She is a wonderful ship. Give it a go, see the cabanas for yourself and if you don't like it, then don't use it again. Think of it as being like another Select Dining Restaurant. All ships have those.

Hi. I am curious why you see the cabanas as any different from the specialty restaurants, which are restricted to those who chose to pay for them as opposed to being open to everyone like the MDR.

I am not trying to start a big debate or flame war, as I understand the cabanas really irritate some people and everyone's viewpoint is valid. I just wonder why the cabanas are seen as any different from other pay-to-use facility onboard.

As a point of transparency, we rented one for a day in March on Reflection and thoroughly enjoyed it. Many people used the open lawn space all that day without a cabana, as well.

Hi. I am curious why you see the cabanas as any different from the specialty restaurants, which are restricted to those who chose to pay for them as opposed to being open to everyone like the MDR.

I am not trying to start a big debate or flame war, as I understand the cabanas really irritate some people and everyone's viewpoint is valid. I just wonder why the cabanas are seen as any different from other pay-to-use facility onboard.

As a point of transparency, we rented one for a day in March on Reflection and thoroughly enjoyed it. Many people used the open lawn space all that day without a cabana, as well.

Well for us, Eclipse was great but has restricted deck space given its size. We loved the lawn area and to envisage it being restricted by cabanas which benefit so few is irritating. I would feel obliged to accidentally toss my boule into a cabana...........I dont disagree that the cabanas are probably great but I dont like the cruise lines trying to charge us to enjoy a small part of their deck space which we have already paid for in our cruise fare.

I spent 25 nights on Equinox and LOVED the lawn area; wide open space, relaxing, great views, I frequently attended the Hot Glass show and played lots of games on the lawn. The cabanas take up a HUGE amount of space, mar the views from much of the lawn, impede upon the ability to play bocce ball and other games, cause the rest of the lawn to be unduly crowded much of the time and are en eyesore. The specialty restaurants (other than Lawn Club Grill) do not take away from what used to be a nice space for all to use, do not block views and are not eyesores. Big difference IMHO. While I enjoyed the Silhouette, I did find it to be somewhat commercialized and given a similar itinerary and pricepoint would strongly prefer Eclipse, Solstice or Equinox over Silhouette or Reflection.

I spent 25 nights on Equinox and LOVED the lawn area; wide open space, relaxing, great views, I frequently attended the Hot Glass show and played lots of games on the lawn. The cabanas take up a HUGE amount of space, mar the views from much of the lawn, impede upon the ability to play bocce ball and other games, cause the rest of the lawn to be unduly crowded much of the time and are en eyesore. The specialty restaurants (other than Lawn Club Grill) do not take away from what used to be a nice space for all to use, do not block views and are not eyesores. Big difference IMHO. While I enjoyed the Silhouette, I did find it to be somewhat commercialized and given a similar itinerary and pricepoint would strongly prefer Eclipse, Solstice or Equinox over Silhouette or Reflection.

Here, here.

I would have to agree. We have sailed Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette and Reflection and there is a BIG difference, particularly when you have teens to entertain. We did enjoy a meal at the Lawn Club Grill, and actually wouldn't mind the hot glass show being replaced with this, but there are very few lawn games and very little space to play on the Silhouette & Reflection.

Good thing we have a variety of experiences and ships on Celebrity from which to choose. It must be difficult to provide experiences and updated options for us all, since we have so many different desires and interests.

Well for us, Eclipse was great but has restricted deck space given its size. We loved the lawn area and to envisage it being restricted by cabanas which benefit so few is irritating. I would feel obliged to accidentally toss my boule into a cabana...........I dont disagree that the cabanas are probably great but I dont like the cruise lines trying to charge us to enjoy a small part of their deck space which we have already paid for in our cruise fare.

I'm having a hard time with your comments. First, "feeling obliged to accidentally toss my boule into a cabana" is extremely childish. That is something I would expect from a petulant child that is past due for his nap.

Second, if you have a problem with not being able to use a space you claim you "have already paid for", then you must also have issues with not being able to use specialty restaurants and spa treatment room spaces without paying.

I find it amusing that from the way some people talk, the cabanas block all views, when if reality they only block views for a small section of the lawn. If a view is what you want, simple move to an area of the lawn that doesn't have those "irritating" cabanas blocking them.

Or go back to your room and take that overdue nap. ;)

Exactly the way I feel. LOVE being on the Equinox and not having my view of the ocean blocked by cabanas and people. You are right in that the lawn was intended to be just that, a lawn area where everyone could sit, relax on chairs or the lawn. That is the way that it was initially presented - a lawn area for everyone. Regardless of what those who love cabanas say, views and enjoyment by others has been restricted. I believe that is what others are talking about and space being taken over so that Celebrity could make a bit of cash. It was not intended for that purpose, but changed along the way. Echo your comments about eyesore, block view and impeding the ability of everyone to use the lawn for games..........

Exactly the way I feel. LOVE being on the Equinox and not having my view of the ocean blocked by cabanas and people. You are right in that the lawn was intended to be just that, a lawn area where everyone could sit, relax on chairs or the lawn. That is the way that it was initially presented - a lawn area for everyone. Regardless of what those who love cabanas say, views and enjoyment by others has been restricted. I believe that is what others are talking about and space being taken over so that Celebrity could make a bit of cash. It was not intended for that purpose, but changed along the way. Echo your comments about eyesore, block view and impeding the ability of everyone to use the lawn for games..........

First of all - no chairs are allowed on the lawn so that complaint won't work. We had a great time in our Alcove, we did not impact the games at all - actually we all were the main cheering section during the lawn tournaments. Tons of space available for anyone on the lawn - Lots of ocean views available (are you saying there are none? not correct) - people were enjoying picnics with wine, evening jazz concerts - the whole space works for everyone. To each their own! For those that want the Hot Glass show and no Alcoves you know which ships to book but our whole group loved the Alcoves.

I have just booked our Alcove for the full week of our cruise for my sisters and I on Reflection. We feel that the Alcove is worth it for us not to have to do the deck chair hunt. We know where we are going to spend our days and don't have to deal with people who put their books or shoes on a deck chair at 9 am just to show up and use it for and hour or two in the afternoon. We had one on Silhouette for sea days last Feb. and found that it was well worth the extra charge. It may be an eyesore to some but to us it is a chance to enhance our cruise. To each his own. We even call ourselves "The Cabana Queens" I am CQ3

First of all - no chairs are allowed on the lawn so that complaint won't work. We had a great time in our Alcove

Yes, am aware how much you like the alcoves.

Please read what I wrote. I did not say that the chairs are on the lawn (see lawn area). What I said was to relax in the chairs or lawn. Chairs are to the left of the lawn (when facing forward). People sit in those chairs or sit on lawn. Therefore am not sure what you mean, "so that complaint won't work." You apparently misread what was written.

I'm having a hard time with your comments. First, "feeling obliged to accidentally toss my boule into a cabana" is extremely childish. That is something I would expect from a petulant child that is past due for his nap.

;)

Er.......it was a joke.......lighten up.

I dont have an issue with speciality restaurants or spa treatments being chargeable since neither impact on limited space such as cabanas on the lawn do. As I said deck space is at a premium on the S class ships so to give over space for the benefit if so few is something that I dont agree with.

Er.......it was a joke.......lighten up.

Sorry, how were we to know you were joking? :confused: Most people use an emoticon to indicate they are joking. Next time, give us a clue. We can't read your mind.

I dont have an issue with speciality restaurants or spa treatments being chargeable since neither impact on limited space such as cabanas on the lawn do. As I said deck space is at a premium on the S class ships so to give over space for the benefit if so few is something that I dont agree with.

Ahh, but I have to respectfully disagree. If the space taken up by the specialty restaurants and spa treatment rooms were public areas, we'd have even more "free" space to use, perhaps as a nightclub with a real dance floor, or more seating to relax and read, or another theater for additional entertainment, or for just open areas to enjoy. I don't see the difference between the use of "free" space for cabanas, restaurants and spas. It is all space we cannot use for the basic fare.

And how about the "free" space being used up by Blu, which is exclusively for AquaSpa passengers. Isn't that "giving over space for the benefit of so few"?

Another note - I have never seen the lawn area on any S class ship crowded. There always seems to be ample room for anyone who wants to use it in this area you call "limited space".

Sorry, how were we to know you were joking? :confused: Most people use an emoticon to indicate they are joking. Next time, give us a clue. We can't read your mind.

Ahh, but I have to respectfully disagree. If the space taken up by the specialty restaurants and spa treatment rooms were public areas, we'd have even more "free" space to use, perhaps as a nightclub with a real dance floor, or more seating to relax and read, or another theater for additional entertainment, or for just open areas to enjoy. I don't see the difference between the use of "free" space for cabanas, restaurants and spas. It is all space we cannot use for the basic fare.

And how about the "free" space being used up by Blu, which is exclusively for AquaSpa passengers. Isn't that "giving over space for the benefit of so few"?

Another note - I have never seen the lawn area on any S class ship crowded. There always seems to be ample room for anyone who wants to use it in this area you call "limited space".

How would someone know I was joking? Because who would do such a thing as throw a boule into a cabana. Thats how.

The S class was clearly designed to allow a certain amount of space per passenger so the speciality restaurants, Blu, spas etc are factored in to meet those space ratios. Introducing limitations to that space which were not originally designed into the ship design (such as cabanas) reduces the 'free' space for passengers therefore its a drawback.

Yes, am aware how much you like the alcoves.

Please read what I wrote. I did not say that the chairs are on the lawn (see lawn area). What I said was to relax in the chairs or lawn. Chairs are to the left of the lawn (when facing forward). People sit in those chairs or sit on lawn. Therefore am not sure what you mean, "so that complaint won't work." You apparently misread what was written.

You are correct - I did misread what you wrote - sorry:o

How would someone know I was joking? Because who would do such a thing as throw a boule into a cabana. Thats how.[/Quote]

Really? I have seen some pretty stupid actions by adults to make your comment completely believable as written. Just read the statistics on crime aboard cruise ships for an idea of what I am referring to. I stand behind my belief that you didn't sound like you were kidding, especially when considered in context with the rest of your post.

The S class was clearly designed to allow a certain amount of space per passenger so the speciality restaurants, Blu, spas etc are factored in to meet those space ratios. Introducing limitations to that space which were not originally designed into the ship design (such as cabanas) reduces the 'free' space for passengers therefore its a drawback.

What I find amusing about this sentiment are how many other people complain about the lawn area being an underutilized space on these ships. There is a vocal group of Celebrity cruisers who think it is a waste of space because not that many people make use of it.

So, the cruise line comes up with that Alcove feature that on paper could increase the utilization of this space, thereby making it a space that more people will enjoy.

Then, here comes the group that is annoyed by the Alcoves, complaining that it takes away from the available space, a space that many people think is underutilized.

Goes to show that while you can please some of the people all of the time, or you can please all of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Get over it and enjoy your cruise. Getting so annoyed about it will not make your cruise more enjoyable - well, unless the complaining is what is fun for you. :) (See, I used an emoticon here. Any guesses as to whether I am joking or not?)

Really? I have seen some pretty stupid actions by adults to make your comment completely believable as written. Just read the statistics on crime aboard cruise ships for an idea of what I am referring to. I stand behind my belief that you didn't sound like you were kidding, especially when considered in context with the rest of your post.

What I find amusing about this sentiment are how many other people complain about the lawn area being an underutilized space on these ships. There is a vocal group of Celebrity cruisers who think it is a waste of space because not that many people make use of it.

So, the cruise line comes up with that Alcove feature that on paper could increase the utilization of this space, thereby making it a space that more people will enjoy.

Then, here comes the group that is annoyed by the Alcoves, complaining that it takes away from the available space, a space that many people think is underutilized.

Goes to show that while you can please some of the people all of the time, or you can please all of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Get over it and enjoy your cruise. Getting so annoyed about it will not make your cruise more enjoyable - well, unless the complaining is what is fun for you. :) (See, I used an emoticon here. Any guesses as to whether I am joking or not?)

Bored now ............

Archived