Have you ever eaten with the Captain?

I ate at the Captain's table every night for four years ....

I was the Captain . . .

Now, I think having dinner with you would be really GREAT!

I flew professionally, for over 45+ years...

Almost everywhere.

I was a Captain for most of those years...

I bet we'd have some GREAT stories to spin. :p

We got an invitation to eat at the Captain's table on Mariner of the Seas. It was wonderful, different menu, wonderful service and yes the wine flowed. At the end of the evening we were given a picture of the group and and a menu signed by the Captain. Fun, fun time!

IN 2006 on the Mariner of the Seas we were invited with Captain Johnny. A great memory, as my wife was seated right next to Captain Johnny and was scared she would spill on him :eek:. Found out that all couples at the table were on Back to Back cruises, East/West Caribbean on the Mariner of the Seas.

Edited by SKJSKJ

Dress was formal. I would be screwed if I get invited on my next cruise, because we have quit sailing with any formal wear. My tuxedo may be moth bitten for all I know.

kjc

You could always rent one of if you are invited.

:)Been invited many times, and we always dressed formal! It is such an honor, why wouldn't you dress up? The captain chooses his own menu and wine selection is his also. (It is always superb!!!) Can't wait for the next one!

We have been invited on a casual night. DH brings a tux, but not a sport coat, so went in his long sleeved shirt. Three of the other four men had the same dilemma and did the same thing. The Captain was in his blue jacket, not formal attire. It was all good (until somebody brought up politics, that is:eek:). On a formal night we dress formally. We've been fortunate to have been invited quite a few times, and have always had a wonderful evening.

The wine is sometimes superb (We had Spy Valley on Rhapsody) and sometimes not (a lower-level Mondavi on Mariner). But it is plentiful and, after the first glass, who cares, anyway?:p

We have also always had a special menu, which is sometimes fabulous and sometimes interesting.;)

We were asked out of the blue one cruise. We were Diamond at the time and had been upgraded from a JS to a GS. Just sitting there enjoying our dinner when we we asked. I didn't really believe it until the invitation arrived in our cabin the next day.

It was fun. Met in one of the lounges then were led down the grand staircase to the table. Pictures and signed menus afterwards. I just had a sport coat to wear, another guy was in suit, one in tux. and one in plain collared shirt. Turns out the guy in the plain shirt cruises 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off. We actually spent the next couple of days doing things with that couple.

Edited by cruzincurt

yes, we have had dinner with the Captain. I have no clue why and no clue why it has occurred several times when I don't know anyone other than us that it has happened to. What we have to show that it really happened is the photographs that are sent to your cabin and the formal invitations and menu's that are given to you.

The first time it happened we thought it may be because we were seated with another couple and they were not the most friendly type of persons. They did not show up the second evening and all of a sudden we were asked if we would join the captain the next night for dinner. Honestly, we were surprised but very apprehensive, what did we do wrong? But the formal invite came to our cabin and of course we went. After that, we always looked at each other and the MD and said are you serious?

I wish I knew how persons are chosen, but still have not figured this one out.

I don't get the attraction ... I mean you pay all that money, and then they make you eat with the staff!!!

:D

LOL. My Dad always joked about that....until he was invited to the Captains table last cruise. Had a ball!!!!!!

R

If so, what was the dress attire? Business casual (jackets for men/dress for woman)

What is the menu like when eating with the Captain?

Our table of 3 couples were invited to dine with the captain on the Mariner of the Seas. The captain had his wife onboard along with her parents. All the men wore suits and ties and the ladies wore dresses. Of course the captain was in his dress uniform.

I believe we had just the regular dining menu, for one of the formal nights.

Yes. We were in a suite and got an invitation. Typically dinner with the Captain is only on the formal nights. The how's and why's change from ship to ship and Captain to Captain. On some ships the Captain does not have dinner with the passengers. Instead it is the Hotel Manager. We received the invitation and we met at one of the ships bars. Drinks were ordered all around and a bit later the Captain joined the group and everyone was introduced. Prior to the Captain arriving we were told how the evening would proceed.

We then headed to the Dining Room and were seated at the table. At one dinner, we were seated across from each other rather than husband and wife seated together. The menu was different from the normal dining room menu. I remember Lobster Thermidor on the menu one night. It was very good. We were given a copy of the menu and a group picture was taken by the ships photographer. Each couple got a copy of the picture that was signed by the Captain. We also received an invitation to tour the bridge.

Since it was a formal night, everyone was dressed up. Ladies had long/short gowns or dresses and men had tuxedos or suits.

Edited by JMG

.........am I the only one who gets a chill when so many recount how the Captain and guest head to the bar for drinks before dinner? It seems to me a Captain is technically "on duty" 24 hrs. At least that what was argued on the crash of the Exxon Valdez. What about passing a drug test if a crash occurs? Oh yea....the Bahamas don't test for that.....:rolleyes:

.........am I the only one who gets a chill when so many recount how the Captain and guest head to the bar for drinks before dinner? It seems to me a Captain is technically "on duty" 24 hrs. At least that what was argued on the crash of the Exxon Valdez. What about passing a drug test if a crash occurs? Oh yea....the Bahamas don't test for that.....:rolleyes:

The times I have dined at the Captain's Table, if we met at a bar or lounge the Captain did not meet us there. After we were all seating at the table in the MDR they came to the table. They tasted the wine and approved it but didn't drink. RCCL is not Costa;)

No need to worry. We’ve had at least a dozen dinners with the Captain or another high ranking officer and I’ve never seen the Captain drink alcohol. He will drink a club soda type drink the bar gathering, take sip of wine to formally taste the wine for dinner, and then drink club soda ( or an equivalent ) with dinner.

Most times, we have a special souvenir menu, with one or two special offerings and pre-determined dessert. They take a photo and present one to each guest. Sometimes the women are offered a rose and a few times (on the Monarch) we were given a signed copy of the RCCL cookbook. Often the dinner will result in a next day invitation to the bridge, engine control room, etc.

On Celebrity we had the same menu as the rest of the dining room guests but the “drill” was the same” Meet in a lounge, walk the dining room, etc.

All but one night was a formal night with a stated dress code, ( not a suggestion) . The other was a casual night but the invitation stated Smart Casual. My husband wore the suit he had worn for formal night as he had not packed a sport jacket and thought a polo type shirt was too casual.

We’ve accepted each invitation and enjoyed each situation. Many balk at the process and to those I suggest if you ever receive an invitation and it is not your cup of tea, then simply decline.

M

If so, what was the dress attire? Business casual (jackets for men/dress for woman)

What is the menu like when eating with the Captain?

My experience eating with the captain...

I would wake up early each morning, put on my shorts, shirt, and my crocs, and make my way to the Windjammer. There, the captain was waiting for me. The menu was very simple, just a little milk in a bowl and cereal.

The captain, always smiling, wore his best, blue uniform which contrasted nicely with his flowing white hair and stash. Funny, he always brought his own spoon.

Capn_Crunch.jpg

Edited by Brigbound

The bars do serve non-alcoholic drinks you know ;)

....but the posters all were bragging "how the wine was flowing"......you mean to say sailors don't drink?.....shocking:eek:

The wine does flow, FOR THE GUESTS. Sailors maybe, a cruise ship captain.....NO, not likely.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Never dinner, but Captain Olav on Explorer ate breakfast every morning, except when we were pulling into port, in the suite breakfast area in Portofino. He would come in every morning and say hello and eat his breakfast, usually alone. That's the closest we've been to the experience.