Johnny Rockets

I wonder what others made of Johnny Rockets. As a family of four we were looking forward to giving it a try on the Liberty last week. The burgers, chips and shakes were fine, but whilst we knew there was a cover charge, we hadn't realised that only covered the food and the drinks were extra. I think we paid just over $45, really not worth it in our opinion, and would give that a miss next time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi kelv _2013.

Would you happen to know if I could use my premium drinks package in here? We're going in 4 wks & my kids are looking forward to visiting There

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry Trolleydolly80, I don't know the answer to that, but I would hope so. Have a fantastic time.

JR's has a $4.95 per person cover charge. If you multiply that times 4, you get $19.80. I am not sure how you managed to run up another $25+, unless you all had milkshakes and more.

I also am surprised that you would be surprised that milkshakes are not included.

When I have eaten there (not in quite a few cruises), I just drank water. It's my go-to drink anyway. I believe that they have ice tea (no charge) and possibly milk (also no charge).

And yes, if you have the drinks package, whether alcohol or soda, you can get the soda in JR's on your package, without additional charge.

The total cost was $43.66, $18 dollars for four shakes, plus $2.70 gratuity, $19.80 cover charge, $3.16 tax. I guess we all have our own view as to what represents good value, it just didn't work for me, but that said we would have regretted it if we hadn't given it a go.

Hi kelv _2013.

Would you happen to know if I could use my premium drinks package in here? We're going in 4 wks & my kids are looking forward to visiting There

You could use your drink package to get soda, but the shakes would not be included. I'm not sure if any alcohol is served either.

When I have eaten there (not in quite a few cruises), I just drank water. It's my go-to drink anyway. I believe that they have ice tea (no charge) and possibly milk (also no charge).

And yes, if you have the drinks package, whether alcohol or soda, you can get the soda in JR's on your package, without additional charge.

Would I have to pay extra for my coffee with breakfast???:( I had considered trying JR on my next cruise, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Kathy

The total cost was $43.66, $18 dollars for four shakes, plus $2.70 gratuity, $19.80 cover charge, $3.16 tax. I guess we all have our own view as to what represents good value, it just didn't work for me, but that said we would have regretted it if we hadn't given it a go.

There should have been no tax, unless you were in port somewhere. Even then, it is not common.

What do I know? Were you in the Med and was it Spanish VAT?

And I agree that $45 is a lot of money in the aggregate, but consider instead its parts: $5 is not excessive for the food; you chose to add on the milkshakes.

Would I have to pay extra for my coffee with breakfast???:( I had considered trying JR on my next cruise, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Kathy

Regular (non-specialty) coffee is included at all meals. Breakfast at JR's is also no extra charge.

I mentioned the alcohol package because it includes fountain soda.

:)

I wasn't sure if the poster was thinking that they could get shakes for free because they had the premium drink package.

Hi kelv _2013.

You can use your drinks package as they do serve some alcohol and soft drinks, the milkshakes are chargeable though.

I wonder what others made of Johnny Rockets. As a family of four we were looking forward to giving it a try on the Liberty last week. The burgers, chips and shakes were fine, but whilst we knew there was a cover charge, we hadn't realised that only covered the food and the drinks were extra. I think we paid just over $45, really not worth it in our opinion, and would give that a miss next time.

Greasy spoon as far as I'm concerned. I don't get the attraction people have with this place especially when you consider that on many ships the alternatives blow it out of the water.

Sounds like this was your first Royal cruise. Next cruise(assuming you join Crown & Anchor) you will get coupons for bogo milk shakes

Sounds like this was your first Royal cruise. Next cruise(assuming you join Crown & Anchor) you will get coupons for bogo milk shakes

Yes it was, but it wont be our last for sure. We loved it.

There should have been no tax, unless you were in port somewhere. Even then, it is not common.

What do I know? Were you in the Med and was it Spanish VAT?

And I agree that $45 is a lot of money in the aggregate, but consider instead its parts: $5 is not excessive for the food; you chose to add on the milkshakes.

We were in JR on the day at sea before we arrived back at Barcelona. I agree when you break it down it doesn't seem so bad, we just weren't expecting a bill for $43. The burgers and shakes were tasty, but I wont look back on JR as being the best place to eat on board. That said, it was one small part of a truly great week and again had we not eaten there we would surely be regretting it.

We just need to save up for the next RC cruise now

You can use your drinks package as they do serve some alcohol and soft drinks, the milkshakes are chargeable though.

Hyia Rich!!

Fancy seeing you here! Thanks for that info x

& yes sorry guys I just meant alcohol. Although I don't mind splashing out on a round of shakes ;)

$5 is reasonable if you walk into a Johnny Rocket's on land. However, on a ship, when you can have a burger-and-fries lunch in the MDR or in the Windjammer without charge, $5 is an outrageous price. Zero vs. $5/person.

The real bargain at Johnny Rocket's is the beer. Their cups are slightly larger than the other ship's bars, and the price is slightly smaller. You can walk in and get a take-out beer without paying any service fee. My husband is very willing to walk a little farther to buy his beer from Johnny Rockets. Downside: Limited choices of brand.

The other real bargain is dessert. You can have dessert-only without a service fee. Downside: Limited options, and -- to point out the obvious again -- desserts are also "free" (actually meaning pre-paid) in the MDR and Windjammer.

If you really want to experience a Johnny Rockets, do it on land...they have a much more extensive menu than on the ship.

We are planning a return to the US in a few year's time, so its something to look out for. UK posters here may know of Ed's Easy Diner, an American style burger house, very similar to the Johnny Rockets on board imo. Some US-style restaurants over here haven't quite worked for us, Ed's in Southampton was the closest we've seen to the ihops we fell in love with in the States. Its cheaper driving 10 miles to Southampton than flying a few thousand to the States so I shall have to settle for now.

$5 is reasonable if you walk into a Johnny Rocket's on land. However, on a ship, when you can have a burger-and-fries lunch in the MDR or in the Windjammer without charge, $5 is an outrageous price. Zero vs. $5/person.

Its not an outrageous price if you want a REAL burger instead of that "mystery meat" pattie that has laid in that vat of grease all day :eek:

WJ burgers are pretty much terrible to a person that likes real hamburgers. Ive never had one in the MDR though. I do like the fries in the WJ.

If you really want to experience a Johnny Rockets, do it on land...they have a much more extensive menu than on the ship.

I've been to Johnny Rockets on land. I don't think the food is very good for the amount of money they charge. Just my humble opinion. :rolleyes:

For more than double the price.

Im not sure how much more extensive a menu needs to be for someone that is looking for a good cheeseburger vs. that meat pattie they serve in the WJ that is been floating in a pond of grease for hours.

WJ burgers are pretty much terrible to a person that likes real hamburgers.

I don't tend to eat a lot of burgers myself but I know when I like one and JR's was good. My son (15) loved his but enjoyed the WJ burgers too. Personally I didn't try them so can't say one way or the other. Here in the UK, it can be so hit and miss, but I have to say that one of the best burgers I ever had was in a small café outside Southampton, England in the mid-nineties. Sadly, we didn't get our timing right. A few weeks after we found the place in 1996, the UK was struck by the BSE crisis and the ban on British beef. It was never the same again.

Apologies for going a little off-topic.

Archived