Do Celebrity Care – NO!

BJC

Do Celebrity care about the concerns of their cruisers, even Captain Club Select Members, the simple answer is NO!

We had a bad experience on our May/June Baltic Cruise on Celebrity Constellation, after which I sent two e-mails to Celebrity in June and having only received their automated receipt response, I then posted them a hard copy letter in July, and followed that with another e-mail in August and they have refused to respond to my concerns.

So the question is do they really give a dam as to what their customers think about their service, and the problems they may have had on a cruise, and unfortunately it appears that they don’t!

Their attitude to responding to adverse comments appears to be “oh well we lost those ones, never mind we have plenty others to keep us going” well guess what, if you have too many of us talking about how you have let us down with poor service, old and run down cruise ships, poor maintenance, less than acceptable standard food, and simply a rude and inexcusable lack of customer service by not listening to or responding to your customers will surly see a downturn in your patronage.

I for one who has been a strong supporter of Celebrity over the years, and as a freelance writer and guest speaker on cruising in my home state of Western Australia, I will no longer recommend Celebrity to my audience’s, I’m sorry but a simple response might have made a difference but to be so rude and inconsiderate as to completely ignore my communications has left me dumfounded.

I only hope that other customers, outside of the US, don’t experience the same sort of treatment, it is almost as if we don’t count, how sad.

Do Celebrity care about the concerns of their cruisers, even Captain Club Select Members, the simple answer is NO!

We had a bad experience on our May/June Baltic Cruise on Celebrity Constellation, after which I sent two e-mails to Celebrity in June and having only received their automated receipt response, I then posted them a hard copy letter in July, and followed that with another e-mail in August and they have refused to respond to my concerns.

So the question is do they really give a dam as to what their customers think about their service, and the problems they may have had on a cruise, and unfortunately it appears that they don’t!

Their attitude to responding to adverse comments appears to be “oh well we lost those ones, never mind we have plenty others to keep us going” well guess what, if you have too many of us talking about how you have let us down with poor service, old and run down cruise ships, poor maintenance, less than acceptable standard food, and simply a rude and inexcusable lack of customer service by not listening to or responding to your customers will surly see a downturn in your patronage.

I for one who has been a strong supporter of Celebrity over the years, and as a freelance writer and guest speaker on cruising in my home state of Western Australia, I will no longer recommend Celebrity to my audience’s, I’m sorry but a simple response might have made a difference but to be so rude and inconsiderate as to completely ignore my communications has left me dumfounded.

I only hope that other customers, outside of the US, don’t experience the same sort of treatment, it is almost as if we don’t count, how sad.

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience. Would you mind sharing specifics?

Sorry you had a bad experience. I bet if you post your dissatisfaction on Facebook you will get a reply. The only problem is you will probably be flamed by the cheerleaders. Then again you will probably be flamed here on CC as well.

Sorry, but we really can't take this seriously without some specifics.....Just ranting about something without any facts doesn't help anyone.

Here is the review:

Member Name: BJC

Cruise Date: May 2013

Embarkation: Amsterdam

Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe

Cabin Category: 2C

Cabin Number: 7023

Booking Method:

Member Rating

Dining 1.0

Public Rooms 2.0

Cabins 2.0

Entertainment 2.0

Spa & Fitness 1.0

Family & Children Not Rated

Shore Excursions 2.0

Embarkation 2.0

Service 2.0

Value-for-Money 1.0

Rates 1.0

Celebrity has lost its shine for us.

This is part of the attachment I sent on an email to Celebrity 2 weeks ago, which I recently followed up with a letter, and have yet to receive neither an acknowledgement of, nor response to, from them, which saddens me somewhat, in that while I have been critical I did so in the hope that they might take some notice and action.

Had I received something from them I might have restructured my review somewhat to acknowledge that they had listen to and acted upon our concerns, unfortunately I now feel that I must pass this on to others as is.

We are a recently retired couple from Perth Western Australia, and I am a Marine Engineer by training, having spent 10 years in the RAN, and we have been Celebrity Cruise fans for some ten years now and are Select Captains Club members having been on 6 cruises with Celebrity, and also with Azamara, and have, in the past, recommended Celebrity to everyone as one of the best cruise experiences of all the cruises lines we have used, until now.

We have just returned from a Baltic Cruise of the Celebrity Constellation departing from Amsterdam on Monday the 20th May, Cabin 7023, which turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, not because of the destinations, which met all our expectations, but rather of the cruise itself.

While we found the service in most areas was good, it was not outstanding, however the food was such a letdown in both the San Marco main dining room and the Ocean View Buffet, such that in the main dining room I had to send two main meals back, one, a fish dish, in which the fish was served on a plate of cannelloni beans in a runny sauce, the fish was found to be of a mushy consistency and tasted quite peculiar, as such I did not wish to take a chance!

Also a slow braised Osso-Bucco that was about 40mm thick and as chewy as boot leather and tasteless, on both occasions I was offered a replacement meal, however I was so let down I could not take up this offer, the head waiter brought a Chef over on the first occasion and he took notes and apologised, however on the second occasion the head waiter took the chef to the other side of the table and ignored the complaining Australian!

The presentation of many meals was mediocre, the accompanying vegetables were trivial to say the least, and in many instances not in keeping with the main part of the meal, the night we had Lobster Tail it came with an upturned cup of steamed rice with peas and carrot pieces in it, along with two small pieces, about the size of my thumb, of undercooked broccoli, most unappetising.

As well there were no flowers on the tables as they used to have, there was no fruit, vegetable or ice carvings they used to have, no procession of the flaming Bombe-Alaska on the last night as they used to do, they had the Bombe-Alaska for sweets that night but it was not made the way real Bomb-Alaska is made, how sad.

Unfortunately the buffet in the Ocean View appeared to be the same for every breakfast and lunch we went to, the selection never seemed to change, except for the small section, aft on the port side, which was marked British / English Food, which was so bad it never got eaten, you would have thought that after a couple of days when it was left untouched they would get the message, but no.

The table service staff in the Ocean View need to understand that at breakfast time when you have finished your cereal or fruit and you leave the table to get your next course, with your knife and fork set in position ready for the next course, along with your napkin folded neatly, and half a glass of fruit juice yet to be drunk, but with the two used cereal bowls to one side, you dont expect to return to find that it has all been removed and someone else sitting at your table, which happened on at least three occasions, it came to the point we had to go separately to get anything else, leaving the other guarding the table.

It is to be hoped that the apparent lowering of standards in these dining areas is not due to the promotion of the increased number of speciality dining areas, that appeared to have blossomed throughout the ship, at the demise of other once publicly accessible areas, in order to sell you quality dining, which one should expect to receive in the San Marco.

The main entertainment in the Celebrity Theatre, along the bands and singers appearing throughout the ship were very good, however during the sea days the days program consisted mostly of activities linked to selling you something, like that they have done away with the movie theatre and card room, and other public areas but have opened up another 3 or 4 speciality shops, the manager of which unfortunately came straight from a job as a side show sprooker at the local show, what an annoyance he was.

Along with that there were the spa treatments and massage, and painting auctions, photo shop and many and various other activities but all were at an additional cost, I was that desperate to find something to do on the sea days that in the end I would have attended a napkin folding demonstration had they put one on.

The Enrichment Programs as it used to be called, now the Beyond the Podium series was such a disappointment in that, having had the most wonderful speakers on subjects relative to the cruise and destinations on all our previous cruises, this one was such a letdown, with singling out anyone in particular, having attended a couple of them and leaving after about 15 minutes I believe such that in the end they moved them from the main theatre to the small conference centre on deck 3 aft, as only a hand full of people would turn up, they were so boring.

I am sorry to say we were also not impressed by the cruise director and his assistant the activities director who, when they appeared together reminded us somewhat of Laurel and Hardy, but without the comedy, individually neither provided us with any motivation to participate in the activities they were presenting, which is such a shame as we have had some wonderful cruise directors in the past.

We noted that the drink prices appeared to have gone up and that there was no Cocktail of the Day, at a reduced price, or two for the price of one specials that many seniors and pensioners who are traveling on limited budgets have previously found to be of good value!

The Constellation, we were told, had just come out of dry dock, unfortunately it was difficult to see what had been done as the ship still looked old and tired, the furniture and carpets have seen better days, I do know it had been painted on the outside as there was lots of white paint drops on the wooden handrail of our balcony, just how difficult would it have been to put a cover over the handrails when painting!

While most of our shore excursions were well done, it should be considered to have people sign a declaration that says that when given free time and you are given a time to be back at a meeting place or the bus, that if they do not meet back with the group within a short period after that nominated meeting time, say 5 minutes, that the group / bus will move on to the next part of the excursion, and that they will be responsible for their own return to the ship.

On two occasions we had to wait 10 and 15 minutes for different couples, which when you are on a 2 hour tour is a lot of time you miss out on, and I am aware that another group had to wait for an hour for a couple, who had been warned previously for being late on this excursion, and upon their return they had nothing but contempt for the tour guide and fellow passengers, this is not good enough, and needs to be nipped in the bud.

Finally I must say that the demographics of our fellow passengers appears to have changed a little, people dont seem to take pride in their dress standards in the main dining room as they once did, and I am sad to say that the respectful, courteous, kind and friendly fellow passengers we have met on our previous Celebrity cruises appear to be changing, I dont know what has happened to make this change, however those passengers of previous cruises appear to have moved on, and so must we.

It is the little things that make the difference between a good cruise and a great cruise, unfortunately we now find that these are sadly lacking with Celebrity, where on Constellation, and Century on our New Zealand Cruise the year before, are at the point where even the fundamentals were not being met.

We bring our feelings to your attention simply in the hope that you can make some changes to return Celebrity to the position it once held.

You can read my review on Celebrity Constellation.

Having visited Perth and other cities in Australia, I am convinced that as upbeat as Aussies are that you must have a good point. Sorry about your cruise.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I bet if you post your dissatisfaction on Facebook you will get a reply. The only problem is you will probably be flamed by the cheerleaders. Then again you will probably be flamed here on CC as well.

Sorry, but we really can't take this seriously without some specifics.....Just ranting about something without any facts doesn't help anyone.

Exactly ! I don't think anyone is being a cheerleader by wanting more info before agreeing or not with OP's views.

Clearly BJC has a bug and wishes to bad mouth Celebrity. It is not being a cheerleader to want to know the specifics .

--OK -- Slogged through the review. BTW, yours stands out as all the other recent reviews are 4, 5 and 5+ raves.

Sorry you were unhappy. Amusing that you felt not a single category in your review deserved more then 2 stars.

Good luck on your choice of future cruises.

Please provide a link to your review so we can find it easily

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222115

I agree with the OP. When everything is rated only a 1 or a 2 out of 5, it is time to move on to a different cruise line.

I have certainly never read about so many experiences totally ruining a holiday without any redeeming quality about the ship, the people, the excursions, the food, the drinks, the ports...

We will soon be sailing on Constellation and will report back if your letter and review has had an impact on Celebrity's approach to cruising.

I can only hope that your next cruise experience will more closely meet your expectations.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222115

I agree with the OP. When everything is rated only a 1 or a 2 out of 5, it is time to move on to a different cruise line.

I have certainly never read about so many experiences totally ruining a holiday without any redeeming quality about the ship, the people, the excursions, the food, the drinks, the ports...

We will soon be sailing on Constellation and will report back if your letter and review has had an impact on Celebrity's approach to cruising.

I can only hope that your next cruise experience will more closely meet your expectations.

I agree, the OP needs to move to another cruise line. I decided to read other reviews for the same cruise and were completely the opposite. BTW, I had the osso bucco on the Eclipse last month and it was great.

Celebrity shouldn't ignore the OP's complains, but they have no control about some of his concerns, especially about the people cruising with them.

Exactly ! I don't think anyone is being a cheerleader by wanting more info before agreeing or not with OP's views.

Clearly BJC has a bug and wishes to bad mouth Celebrity. It is not being a cheerleader to want to know the specifics .

--OK -- Slogged through the review. BTW, yours stands out as all the other recent reviews are 4, 5 and 5+ raves.

Sorry you were unhappy. Amusing that you felt not a single category in your review deserved more then 2 stars.

Good luck on your choice of future cruises.

To me the point of this thread isn't about what happened on board but rather the fact that the OP wasn't satisfied by the automated reply. Whether his complaints are valid or not isn't the issue. The issue is that the cruise line didn't acknowledge his complaint which doesn't sit well with me.

I have to agree with the OP in my experience the food on Celebrity is just OK. I don't think it deserves the five stars that are in some reviews. Fortunately I sail for the itineraries and not just to fill my stomach. There is always something good to eat on any line. Sometimes it's just hit or miss.

Here is the review:

Member Name: BJC

Cruise Date: May 2013

Embarkation: Amsterdam

Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe

Cabin Category: 2C

Cabin Number: 7023

Booking Method:

While we found the service in most areas was good, it was not outstanding,

So the food was good but not good enough?

Also a slow braised Osso-Bucco that was about 40mm thick and as chewy as boot leather and tasteless, on both occasions I was offered a replacement meal, however I was so let down I could not take up this offer, the head waiter brought a Chef over on the first occasion and he took notes and apologised,

Oh horror; a remedy was offered but your sensibilities were just too offended to accept an apology and replacement.

The presentation of many meals was mediocre, the accompanying vegetables were trivial to say the least, and in many instances not in keeping with the main part of the meal, the night we had Lobster Tail it came with an upturned cup of steamed rice with peas and carrot pieces in it, along with two small pieces, about the size of my thumb, of undercooked broccoli, most unappetising.

As well there were no flowers on the tables as they used to have, there was no fruit, vegetable or ice carvings they used to have, no procession of the flaming Bombe-Alaska on the last night as they used to do, they had the Bombe-Alaska for sweets that night but it was not made the way real Bomb-Alaska is made, how sad.

Yes, we all cruise for flowers on the table, ice carvings and the long defunct Baked Alaska parade (of which hasn't been happening on Celebrity for several years). Again; oh the horror you suffered.

Unfortunately the buffet in the Ocean View appeared to be the same for every breakfast and lunch we went to, the selection never seemed to change, except for the small section, aft on the port side

And what would your complaint be if your favorite selections only appeared one or two days and then never again?

The table service staff in the Ocean View need to understand that at breakfast time when you have finished your cereal or fruit and you leave the table to get your next course, with your knife and fork set in position ready for the next course, along with your napkin folded neatly, and half a glass of fruit juice yet to be drunk, but with the two used cereal bowls to one side, you dont expect to return to find that it has all been removed and someone else sitting at your table, which happened on at least three occasions, it came to the point we had to go separately to get anything else, leaving the other guarding the table.

How unfortunate that the servers don't possess ESP to know whether or not you've left the table permanently or will be returning with a demand the table be adjusted to your specific needs.

The main entertainment in the Celebrity Theatre, along the bands and singers appearing throughout the ship were very good, however during the sea days the days program consisted mostly of activities linked to selling you something, like that they have done away with the movie theatre and card room, and other public areas but have opened up another 3 or 4 speciality shops, the manager of which unfortunately came straight from a job as a side show sprooker at the local show, what an annoyance he was.

And how annoying were you that you expect a cruise ship not to have shops and activities found on land resorts?

The Enrichment Programs as it used to be called, now the Beyond the Podium series was such a disappointment in that, having had the most wonderful speakers on subjects relative to the cruise and destinations on all our previous cruises, this one was such a letdown, with singling out anyone in particular, having attended a couple of them and leaving after about 15 minutes I believe such that in the end they moved them from the main theatre to the small conference centre on deck 3 aft, as only a hand full of people would turn up, they were so boring.

Boring? Hello pot, this is the kettle...

I am sorry to say we were also not impressed by the cruise director and his assistant the activities director who, when they appeared together reminded us somewhat of Laurel and Hardy, but without the comedy, individually neither provided us with any motivation to participate in the activities they were presenting, which is such a shame as we have had some wonderful cruise directors in the past.

The position is Cruise Director, not Court Jester.

And you earlier complained you had no interest in the activities offered so why blame the Cruise Director for not sparking your boorish lack of interest?

We noted that the drink prices appeared to have gone up and that there was no Cocktail of the Day, at a reduced price, or two for the price of one specials that many seniors and pensioners who are traveling on limited budgets have previously found to be of good value!

And prices on shore at home never increase?

While most of our shore excursions were well done, it should be considered to have people sign a declaration that says that when given free time and you are given a time to be back at a meeting place or the bus, that if they do not meet back with the group within a short period after that nominated meeting time, say 5 minutes, that the group / bus will move on to the next part of the excursion, and that they will be responsible for their own return to the ship.

On two occasions we had to wait 10 and 15 minutes for different couples, which when you are on a 2 hour tour is a lot of time you miss out on

You seem to have control issues. Have you considered counseling?

Finally I must say that the demographics of our fellow passengers appears to have changed a little, people dont seem to take pride in their dress standards in the main dining room as they once did, and I am sad to say that the respectful, courteous, kind and friendly fellow passengers we have met on our previous Celebrity cruises appear to be changing, I dont know what has happened to make this change, however those passengers of previous cruises appear to have moved on, and so must we.

Glad you're moving on. You remove the worry of cruisers, who don't match your demographic expectations, their guilt for having not provided you a cruise in which you seem to expect to be the only traveler.

If you find my responses to the review inappropriate; the OP publicly opened the dialogue. I respond in kind.

To me the point of this thread isn't about what happened on board but rather the fact that the OP wasn't satisfied by the automated reply. Whether his complaints are valid or not isn't the issue. The issue is that the cruise line didn't acknowledge his complaint which doesn't sit well with me.

I have to agree with the OP in my experience the food on Celebrity is just OK. I don't think it deserves the five stars that are in some reviews. Fortunately I sail for the itineraries and not just to fill my stomach. There is always something good to eat on any line. Sometimes it's just hit or miss.

I left almost the same comments on our Millie, 30 night China/Japan cruise, this past May and never heard a word back either. On the other hand RCI has responded to me on a prior RCI cruise.

O well! :mad:

Celebrity tends to be flooded with e-mails and letters and it often takes what seems forever to get a response. Usually they are read by a lower level staff member and only a few that are deemed important reach someone in charge. Don't know if you can do this in Australia, but the few times (very few times) I've had a concern I've called the Captain's Club and spoke directly about my concern with good results. Recently a celebrity employee, Celebrity Cruises has responded on the boards and if he/she does I'm certain that you will get a response to your issues. As others have said: It might be time for you to look at an Oceania, Regent, Crystal, etc. Good cruising!

To the OP, yes Celebrity stopped putting flowers on the tables in the MDR at least a year or two ago.

The review you have written could have been my 2011 Summit cruise. If we had never sailed Celebrity before we might have not gone back. My DH sent at least 3 entrees back on different evenings in the MDR. One night almost everyone at the table got the pork chop and none of us could eat it. When the maitre d came by and asked if there was something wrong we told him the meat was tough and inedible. He just shrugged his shoulders.

I am so sorry you had such a bad cruise experience and also that Celebrity has not responded to your letters and e-mails.

So the food was good but not good enough?

Oh horror; a remedy was offered but your sensibilities were just too offended to accept an apology and replacement.

Yes, we all cruise for flowers on the table, ice carvings and the long defunct Baked Alaska parade (of which hasn't been happening on Celebrity for several years). Again; oh the horror you suffered.

And what would your complaint be if your favorite selections only appeared one or two days and then never again?

How unfortunate that the servers don't possess ESP to know whether or not you've left the table permanently or will be returning with a demand the table be adjusted to your specific needs.

And how annoying were you that you expect a cruise ship not to have shops and activities found on land resorts?

Boring? Hello pot, this is the kettle...

The position is Cruise Director, not Court Jester.

And you earlier complained you had no interest in the activities offered so why blame the Cruise Director for not sparking your boorish lack of interest?

And prices on shore at home never increase?

You seem to have control issues. Have you considered counseling?

Glad you're moving on. You remove the worry of cruisers, who don't match your demographic expectations, their guilt for having not provided you a cruise in which you seem to expect to be the only traveler.

If you find my responses to the review inappropriate; the OP publicly opened the dialogue. I respond in kind.

I agree with you on the buffet, if you leave your table with empty dishes, that table is fair game to be cleaned. Wife and I usually leave one of us at the table. No complaint there.

I agree with you on the buffet, if you leave your table with empty dishes, that table is fair game to be cleaned. Wife and I usually leave one of us at the table. No complaint there.

Do the same, or tell a waiter or assistant waiter in the section that I will be returning. Can't fault someone for doing their job. Imagine if someone was looking for a table and a very neat person left the table as OP described and after a long search discovered that the table was not cleaned. They would most likely post on these boards that Celebrity Staff doesn't clean tables in a timely manner. But, the OP's concern as I read it was lack of response from Celebrity and not his evaluation of the cruise.

from the standpoint of an ex CS rep I want to point out something: comments/reviews like this which are nothing but how rotten everything was and zero suggestions on what they would consider improvement generally get tossed. ( we used to also take all the 'Omygerd youse guys are the bestest evar!' reviews and toss them as well. In the interest of keeping the extremists minimized)

complaints just for the sake of complaining are ignored as they serve no purpose. furthermore, many of these things that were complained about are SUBJECTIVE in nature. Food especially.

any legitimate beefs that could have been and should have been rectified were lost in the rest of the rant.

Seems to be a series of minor issues which I can see would be bothersome. But the comments regarding them removing used dishes from an unoccupied table in the buffet is totally unreasonable. If they see dishes at an unoccupied table they remove them so someone else can use the table.

Sorry you had a bad experience on your last cruise.

Since your issues seem to be most about food and dining, did you speak to the staff on board and let them know of your problems with the food? Other than, "we are sorry you didn't like the food", what were you looking for with regard to a response from Celebrity?

Time to move on to another cruise line, mate. LOL finding one that meets your expectations. Your issues seem quite trivial to me for such a rant. But, please let us know which cruise line you find that meets your requirements.

Thank you Mike and others who have understood that my concerns were that Celebrity failed to answer any of my correspondences, for those who may not have e-mailed Celebrity before the automated responses that I referred to were exactly that, an automatic computer generated response to indicate that my message had been received by Celebrity, these have been the only communication I have received from them.

The civil thing would have been for them to simply acknowledge my concerns and if they did not agree to say so and that would have been that, but to simply ignore them is not the way of a customer focused organisation.

I will admit that I may have been overly critical in scoring my review of the cruise, however it fell far below the standard that we have experienced on our previous Celebrity Cruises, and on Azamara as such I have to say that those who rated it as five star may not have experienced better previously with Celebrity, or on other cruise lines, that they can use as a valid comparison.

It should be noted that in my review we were very happy with the cruise duration, weather, sea conditions, destinations and the ports of call, the Baltic is a wonderful place to cruise, destinations and timing is always paramount for us, we don’t cruise for the food!

Those of you who are satisfied with the direction that Celebrity appear to be taking, then I am happy for you, however those who have enjoyed the pleasure that was cruising on Celebrity back in the 90’s then you will need to think again, sorry.

Thank you also Bundles917 for your response, I will let others judge the merits of it.

Archived