Do Celebrity Care – NO!

BJC

As a Customer Service Manager for over 20 years, I can personally attest that our clients indeed complain a lot more often than in the past. We make every effort to encourage communication when anything goes awry and so it boggles my mind that clients will complain when our service has been completed yet never uttered a word when issues initially arise. I prefer to address concerns head on to avoid further disappointment.

Every client is given my name, title, office and cell phone number as well as my email address yet many do not reach out to me until all is said and done. There is little I can do after the fact other than offer them free service when I would have preferred that their transaction ran like clockwork.

More often than not, the complaints are the result of unrealistic expectations and a lack of communication.

Word to the wise: if you have a beef onboard, contact the appropriate party on the ship rather than hoping for a resolution after your vacation has concluded.

Thanks for that advice. I certainly take action if it is required, although do feel that I am rather easy going and not a complainer anyway.

I sometimes think that it is not so much the service they receive but the person's expectations (unrealistic) that are really the problem.:D

I didn't read the entire thread but I wanted to make a comment.

If you overlook the complaints of the OP and just think about the way Celebrity handles complaints, that, to me, is the issue.

I also had a very bad experience on an X cruise once (along with the majority of the passengers on our cruise). It was the way X handled debarkation. We were stacked up on the gangplanks (or whatever you call that area that is neither on the ship nor in the building) for a couple of hours while we did not have a clue why.

Were we on the same cruise?

This happened to us on Celebrity.

It's also true that people complain a lot more than they used to and they also want compensation for even minor inconveniences. There is an attitude of entitlement that is staggering. It is evident on these boards as well. I can't believe some of the things people can find to complain about. Even when the problem is of their own making, they expect to be "compensated".

Well said. I don't think it applies to the OP, but all too often what you say is true!

I think sometimes people tend to go overboard with their list of grievances, and legitimate complaints get over shadowed by a long laundry list of things they didn't like or disagreed with.

I saw this in a thread on another line's board. The OP had been without an operational toilet or hot water for 8 days, and his complaints on the ship were falling on deaf ears. He went on to criticize the captain for cancelling a port call, alleging it was solely for financial reasons. The poster intended to include this in their very legitimate complaint to the cruise line when they got home, and they were advised to stick to the real problem, which was the plumbing situation in their cabin.

To an extent, the same advice could be given to the OP of this thread. There are some things they mentioned that certainly need to be brought to Celebrity's attention, but bringing up the lack of flowers on the table or other extremely minor annoyances is only going to take away from the real problems they encountered on their trip.

As a Customer Service Manager for over 20 years, I can personally attest that our clients indeed complain a lot more often than in the past. We make every effort to encourage communication when anything goes awry and so it boggles my mind that clients will complain when our service has been completed yet never uttered a word when issues initially arise. I prefer to address concerns head on to avoid further disappointment.

Every client is given my name, title, office and cell phone number as well as my email address yet many do not reach out to me until all is said and done. There is little I can do after the fact other than offer them free service when I would have preferred that their transaction ran like clockwork.

More often than not, the complaints are the result of unrealistic expectations and a lack of communication.

Word to the wise: if you have a beef onboard, contact the appropriate party on the ship rather than hoping for a resolution after your vacation has concluded.

I have seen so much of this. If there is ever a problem on board a civil discussion with the appropriate party is all it ever takes for a solution. The staff and crew always go out of their way to make sure the customer is happy. Give them a chance. Maybe it's just me but I guess I'm just not looking for trouble so I very seldom have any.

Equinox, 11/09 I think. Her first USA cruise. What a mess.:rolleyes:

Ours was on Silhouette, also first time in a US port. I heard it had something to do with the time it takes to clear Customs on it's first visit. Congestion in the Hudson River that morning also contributed to the delay. These things are clearly out of the cruiseline's control and our next trip on X was fine.

I have seen so much of this. If there is ever a problem on board a civil discussion with the appropriate party is all it ever takes for a solution. The staff and crew always go out of their way to make sure the customer is happy. Give them a chance. Maybe it's just me but I guess I'm just not looking for trouble so I very seldom have any.

A positive attitude goes a long way in life. Things do happen but often people blow them out of proportion. I am not saying that there aren't times when there are legitimate reasons to complain but petty remarks tend to make clients appear to be whiners and the real issues tend to be discounted. The complainer is then dismissed as someone looking for compensation. Always stick to the facts, try not to over dramatize, never attack the party you are speaking to and more than likely you will be heard.

I am taken back at the service I also had with Celebrity. I was booked on the Xpedition in June when the trips were cancelled due to negligence on following the regulations of the Galapagos Islands. Celebrity promised publicly to match our price for the same cabin and to also give a 25% discount on the same trip if re-booked to go in the next two years. Now Celebrity says my price was too good and they cannot match it. The 25% discount only applies if I travel in the next year, not two. And the 25% credit is based on the low price I paid before they they cannot match. I lost my airfare on this cruise also. Celebrity offered to re-book me from the $7000 price I paid originally to now only $10000 for the same room and cruise (13 months after my original sailing date). Great 25% discount there! I should not have to pay more to go on the same cruise but that is not how Celebrity sees it.

Wow, I'm disappointed to hear that. That's the first I've heard about it, but they shouldn't go back on a commitment like that. It seems odd that they would even do so.

Have you tried escalating such as through the Captains club?

I am taken back at the service I also had with Celebrity. I was booked on the Xpedition in June when the trips were cancelled due to negligence on following the regulations of the Galapagos Islands. Celebrity promised publicly to match our price for the same cabin and to also give a 25% discount on the same trip if re-booked to go in the next two years. Now Celebrity says my price was too good and they cannot match it. The 25% discount only applies if I travel in the next year, not two. And the 25% credit is based on the low price I paid before they they cannot match. I lost my airfare on this cruise also. Celebrity offered to re-book me from the $7000 price I paid originally to now only $10000 for the same room and cruise (13 months after my original sailing date). Great 25% discount there! I should not have to pay more to go on the same cruise but that is not how Celebrity sees it.

I had read about this when it happened and always thought it was 25% off what you paid (base fare) towards another Galapagos cruise, which is exactly what they are telling you. I did not know it had to be within a one year period (which I don't think is reasonable given that many people are still working with limited time off and have booked their vacation time for over a year out). Did they ever give you anything in writing?

I think their mistake is not letting this 25% off what was paid as a credit on any Celebrity cruise, which is how these issues are normally handled by other cruise lines.

This came up before when you mentioned this back in June.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855935&page=5

Someone posted the public statement by Celebrity

"Celebrity Xpedition’s license that is necessary to enter the Galapagos National Park will be reinstated and the ship will return to service for the June 30 sailing. However, regrettably, it will be necessary to cancel the June 23 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

Celebrity Cruises is truly sorry for the vacation disruption of all Celebrity Xpedition guests booked on cancelled sailings. We understand their excitement and anticipation for exploring the Galapagos onboard Celebrity Xpedition. Celebrity Cruises is committed to complying with the rules and regulations of the Galapagos, which are designed to protect and safeguard this unique and pristine environment.

Guests booked on the June 23 sailing will receive a full refund of the monies paid. We will also provide them with a 25% future cruise credit for another Celebrity Xpedition cruise. The credit is based on the amount they paid for their June 23 cruise and may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Xpedition within the next two years. Future cruise certificates will be mailed to guests' home addresses or to their travel agent within two to three weeks.

Additionally, if a guest purchased air transportation through Celebrity Cruises, we will provide them with a full refund. For guests who did not purchase air transportation through Celebrity Cruises, we will reimburse them for their airline change fee.

Booked guests with questions or concerns can contact us directly at 1-888-829-4050 in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001 internationally."

I think sometimes people tend to go overboard with their list of grievances, and legitimate complaints get over shadowed by a long laundry list of things they didn't like or disagreed with.

I saw this in a thread on another line's board. The OP had been without an operational toilet or hot water for 8 days, and his complaints on the ship were falling on deaf ears. He went on to criticize the captain for cancelling a port call, alleging it was solely for financial reasons. The poster intended to include this in their very legitimate complaint to the cruise line when they got home, and they were advised to stick to the real problem, which was the plumbing situation in their cabin.

To an extent, the same advice could be given to the OP of this thread. There are some things they mentioned that certainly need to be brought to Celebrity's attention, but bringing up the lack of flowers on the table or other extremely minor annoyances is only going to take away from the real problems they encountered on their trip.

I saw this on the HAL board and agree one needs to focus on one or two big issues and not everything.

I had read about this when it happened and always thought it was 25% off what you paid (base fare) towards another Galapagos cruise, which is exactly what they are telling you. I did not know it had to be within a one year period (which I don't think is reasonable given that many people are still working with limited time off and have booked their vacation time for over a year out). Did they ever give you anything in writing?

I think their mistake is not letting this 25% off what was paid as a credit on any Celebrity cruise, which is how these issues are normally handled by other cruise lines.

"Celebrity Xpedition’s license that is necessary to enter the Galapagos National Park will be reinstated and the ship will return to service for the June 30 sailing. However, regrettably, it will be necessary to cancel the June 23 sailing of Celebrity Xpedition.

Celebrity Cruises is truly sorry for the vacation disruption of all Celebrity Xpedition guests booked on cancelled sailings. We understand their excitement and anticipation for exploring the Galapagos onboard Celebrity Xpedition. Celebrity Cruises is committed to complying with the rules and regulations of the Galapagos, which are designed to protect and safeguard this unique and pristine environment.

Guests booked on the June 23 sailing will receive a full refund of the monies paid. We will also provide them with a 25% future cruise credit for another Celebrity Xpedition cruise. The credit is based on the amount they paid for their June 23 cruise and may be used for a future cruise on Celebrity Xpedition within the next two years. Future cruise certificates will be mailed to guests' home addresses or to their travel agent within two to three weeks.

Additionally, if a guest purchased air transportation through Celebrity Cruises, we will provide them with a full refund. For guests who did not purchase air transportation through Celebrity Cruises, we will reimburse them for their airline change fee.

Booked guests with questions or concerns can contact us directly at 1-888-829-4050 in the U.S. and 1-408-916-9001 internationally."

So essentially they get their money refunded and 25% (which may be more like 20%) of the next cruise and any airfare costs reimbursed. Apart from the obvious disappointment of having the cruise cancelled, I don't think that the offer is that unreasonable, perhaps the having to do it within a year is the crux of the matter. It would be harder to get the discount offers for the cruises, and also extend the airfares.

I think this is one of those situations where no-one is happy, not the passengers or X.

I agree that is very poor customer service. Celebrity clearly need to address the inadequacy in their 'after sales service'. :(

there seems to be one common solution suggested in previous posts to this thread.

it has been said many times that those who had continued to follow their grievances on Facebook seemed to have more luck getting a solution.. is this the power of public media at work?

we have now made 1 call and sent 1 email.. do we need to resort to Facebook too?

wow.. you get all that, and we can't even transfer our deposit???

you should think yourself lucky!

Okay, that makes sense, and sounds reasonable.

there seems to be one common solution suggested in previous posts to this thread.

it has been said many times that those who had continued to follow their grievances on Facebook seemed to have more luck getting a solution.. is this the power of public media at work?

we have now made 1 call and sent 1 email.. do we need to resort to Facebook too?

Perhaps as a last resort, I would wait for the email response and maybe even make another couple of calls.:D

One example I seem to have picked up on here, is UK consumer laws require cruise line to issue partial refunds if a port of call is missed for any reason - and not just the port fees and taxes, but additional to cover the missed experience. in the US, no such refund will be issued. Thus the cruise line needs to accrue for these costs of UK business practices where in the US they don't, so this higher fares and stricter refund policies that allow them to have the money to cover the extra costs of following the foreign laws and rules.

That may be a plausible explanation but not one I have ever seen a cruise line admit to in black and white.

The problem for me with that explanation is that the majority of times, thankfully nothing goes wrong, but the cruise line gets to keep the inflated additional cost they have charged for this "maybe" event. That additional cost, after all, only arises if and when something does go very wrong.

That may be a plausible explanation but not one I have ever seen a cruise line admit to in black and white.

The problem for me with that explanation is that the majority of times, thankfully nothing goes wrong, but the cruise line gets to keep the inflated additional cost they have charged for this "maybe" event. That additional cost, after all, only arises if and when something does go very wrong.

That's how insurance works and it works both ways.

That's how insurance works and it works both ways.

Irrelevant how insurance works. In the case of insurance I can choose to pay for the cover or not; we UK cruisers being charges higher fares to cover additional "maybe" costs (if that is actually the reason for the higher fares) do not have any such option - maybe we should.

It's what happens when people think the government has to take care of everything for them. The costs always get passed along to the consumer. When you have extremely comprehensive consumer laws, the cost will be higher. You may be willing to take the risk but the laws of your country don't allow for that.

I did get a full refund of the Galapagos cancelled trip. I have spent about 40 hours on the phone with Celebrity's customer service. The 25% off what I paid does not cover the price increase they have had on this cruise, that is the problem. I booked over two years ago and booked the cheapest cabin available. Most of those cabins are sold out in the next year. Celebrity has told me I get 25% off if I cruise in less than a year from my previously booked date and 12.5% off if I cruise within two years of that date. That is not what they put in writing here, but is what they put in writing to me through the mail after the cruise was cancelled. Due to the limited nature of this cruise, prices rise fast as few cabins are left available. I don't feel I should have to pay more to keep the same cruise that was cancelled due to negligence on their part. I also have not been able to get my airline change fee paid as they do not like the receipt that American Airline gave me as it does not use the term "Change fee."

Specific example. I was booked in June. i saw a cabin available in July. Same rate class, XO. I paid (rounded numbers) $7000 for the cruise in June and the July cruise (with my 25% discount, now only 12.5%) the price is 10,000. I have this in writing from Celebrity. So they want $3000 more for me to rebook this cruise. This is my complaint.

While many complaints, as a recent one on this thread appear to be well founded and should be handled quickly and professionally, I've been reading more and more on these boards that seem to be "complain for the sake of complaining" variety. Or, "I want compensation" variety. One factor in the growing trend of complaints might be how easy it is to complain. Pre Internet with Facebook, Cruise Critic and other social media sites, one actually had to take time to write a detailed letter to a human being. This took some time and effort that may have demonstrated the seriousness of the problem. Now, just take a second and post! No thought, no filtering of anger, just click and post. So many of the "complainers" say that they didn't discuss their "problem" while onboard since they believe that "nothing would be done." Other reasons for the growing tendency to complain, but technology surely has a place in the discussion.

Archived