Cold In The MDR?

Charlie'sPet

I was wondering how cold or warm it will be in the MDR during our Alaska cruise the beginning of September. I plan on wearing a sleeveless dress for most nights at dinner and don't know if I should bring a sweater. Thanks! ;)

We were on the Zuiderdam and it was quite cold. I had to bring a sweater or wrap after the first few nights. We were near a window and an exit door so it might have been a little more cold because of those features.

I found the investment in a good cashmere wool stole is the best defense to over A/C rooms (showroom can often has same problems). It is light and easy to carry around and has such a nice soft warmth to it. It is now a travel basic to tuck in for just about every situation - including bus tours and air planes. Got mine on Nordstroms online. A real Pashmina can work almost as well, as long as it is not one of the many fakes that show up all over the world these days.

We find the MDR on all ships to be chilly when we first go in for early seating (5:30 - 5:45) but warms up to be more comfortable after it has been filled with people and activity for a couple of hours. If you eat 7:00 or later you might not find it too chilly.

I think it helps to understand while we are sitting there in our sleeveless tops enjoying dinner, the waiters are working full bore coming in and out of hot kitchens - so keeping a place on the cooler side for them is part of the equation. Probably the same thing for the showroom - some sort of temperature compromise for both audience and performers.

I was wondering how cold or warm it will be in the MDR during our Alaska cruise the beginning of September. I plan on wearing a sleeveless dress for most nights at dinner and don't know if I should bring a sweater. Thanks! ;)

If you have to ask if you should bring a sweater, you should bring a sweater.

Archived