Cunard experience reduced? T & L rank 8th

blaze14

... Next we may next hear Gerard Tempest musing that the ship's formal surroundings make vacationers "uncomfortable" and we'll get waiters in "smart" polos and chinos...

Cunard tried that once and it didn't go over well. In the first year or two of the QE2, stewards wore turtlenecks. Notwithstanding this trendiness, passengers still dressed appropriately; i.e. black tie in First Class and jacket and tie in Tourist. By the time of my first crossing on QE2 in 1973 Cunard had reverted to traditional uniforms.

It is quite unfair to judge cruise lines together. Some of the lines have ships that are all-First Class (to use the traditional ocean-going terminology), some are basically all-Tourist - admittedly with mostly first-class type cabins - and then there's Cunard with its admired or despised "class system." When ascertaining the rank of a Cunard ship or other cruise lines that offer more than one standard of service, would it be Britannia accommodations and restaurant or the Queen's or Princess Grill that are considered?

Hi BlueRiband,

Sadly, I've seen this rubbish/tacky junk, in cabin passageways on several occasions already.

I happened to mention it (in all innocence, not knowing that I was sharing the table with two perpetrators) over lunch on one QM2 cruise at a table for eight, saying (as a conversation opener, expecting to hear agreement) that I “found it intrusive and tasteless”.

I was immediately told, quite firmly, by two ladies at the table; "I do it so I can find my cabin easily, all the doors look the same" & "I paid for the door, I'll do with it what I want, it's my cruise and none of your business!".

I wanted to reply "look at the cabin numbers like everyone else" & "then decorate the inside of the door, the bit you've paid for"... but wisely thought better of it and said "Really? How interesting".

It was a conversation stopper :o .

I agree about the tacky decorations on cabin doors. If you can't read the cabin number I feel sorry for those people who can't find their cabin!!! The only time I don't mind seeing cabin door decorations is at Christmas.

I found it hard to believe that Cunard was listed in 8th place by Travel and Leisure, but then I considered the source. Travel and Leisure is much more of a mainstream ( mass-market, if you will) travel magazine than Condé Nast Traveler. In Condé Nast Traveler, Cunard is ranked as #5 in their Readers' Choice Awards, bested by Crystal, Regent, Oceania and Azamara in the Middle-Ship Category. This seemed a more accurate representation, based on my experience sailing all of those I listed except Azamara.

Ricki

"Best??" -- these kind of wards are meaningless for me.

What is better, best. A camping hike - or a 5 star room in the Savoy London? A holiday in a hotel in Manhatten - or in a resort on Bora Bora. A cruise on Oasis of the Seas or QM2??

It all depends on what we want - and what sort of mood we are in any any given time. We thoroughly enjoyed our "3 Queens" cruises last year -- but also enjoyed our cruise on RCI's Voyager of the Seas this year. I couldn't begin to even compare them - much less rate them as better, best!

Barry

Like when someone says "the food was perfect"

Compared to what?

David.

Or -- the food was terrible!! Compared to -- when on bivuoc with the Army?? :)

My mother cooked vegetables to PERFECTION -- and then she left them on for another 20 minutes!! :)

Barry

Many of you have read Travel and Leisure World's Best awards Aug 2013 issue:

1. Crystal 2. Regent 3. Azamara 4. Oceana 5. Holland America 6. RCI

7. Princess 8. Cunard 9, Celebrity 10. Norwegian

Those who have been on the other lines as well as Cunard recently, do you think that Holland America, Princess and RCI have improved their cruse experience to rise above the Cunard ships or do you think Cunard experience is not what it was some years ago?

I think it might be both. At one time they were rated luxury line and maybe the experience is not the quality of many of the competition. And maybe the price is not as much different since the top two include tips, drinks, coffee card, specialty restaurants etc. ?

What do you think of the Travel and Leisure rankings????

Now, were these ratings by the magazine or subscribers? the main lines obviously have more subscribers than Cunard. Crystal does have an excellent reputation.Much higher than Cunard(except maybe the Grills).HAL is pretty close in what Cunard offers.Anyone notice how many lines I/E Seaborn/Seadream/Silversea are missing from these rankings?

Anyone notice how many lines I/E Seaborn/Seadream/Silversea are missing from these rankings?

According to Forbes, they would come under the heading "Worlds most luxurious cruises" http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestravelguide/2012/08/16/the-worlds-most-luxurious-cruises/ -- but are not necessarily contenders in the "World's best" category :)

Barry

How do you rate a cruise? Obviously the service/food/luxury must be superior in the Grills to the same items in Britannia (rightly so given the difference in price).

Therefore the ratings will depend on the number of Grill passengers voting as compared to those in Britannia. Given that the magazine is that of American Express Card, we can assume that most of the answers came from passengers in the Grills.

If you were used to "free caviar " and it is no longer offered then you consider the experience has been "dumbed down". It all depends on how the cuts affect you personally.

LadyL1 wrote "for what we pay", again that does depend on which country you live, since the rates for the same cabin same cruise varies with each country.

If I have to pay full price my expectations will be far higher than someone from the UK getting the trip at "Get away/Vantage " cheap deal price including flight and hotel at less than my USA full price fare.

Even reviews do not necessarily give a unbiased review, for exactly the same reasons. If we do not know the cabin, Grill/ Britannia/ Britannia club or the fare paid, we have no base line from which to judge the validity of the comments.

Cunard is the best line in my opinion. And it ain't cause I am from Tennessee. I have travelled on Cunard, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity and what ever other line and the thing about Cunard is the service hands down. Yes it has adjusted with the current down turn in economy about the world but I think it will readjust when things get better. I see them building a new ship soon *my prediction*. And I see the food as great every time I have been on the ships of Cunard. The other lines have blah service and the butlers on Cunard know how to be (European) style butlers. Over all the ships are better maintained and you cannot beat them. These rankings are wrong and need a revisit by whoever made them up. IMHO.

I agree about the tacky decorations on cabin doors. If you can't read the cabin number I feel sorry for those people who can't find their cabin!!! The only time I don't mind seeing cabin door decorations is at Christmas.

DreamflightPat, please consider that not all passengers celebrate Christmas, perhaps having various holidays and occasions with meaning and importance, worthy of celebration - perhaps in the same way you view Christmas.

Your compassion is noted for those who can't read their cabin number, but perhaps it is not a question of reading the cabin number (cabin numbers are also in Braille), but rather remembering the correct cabin number - especially when confronted with the very long corridors on QM2 where many cabin doors look the same on several decks.

My idea of tacky might be another passengers concept of elegant, and vise versa. No skin off my nose if someone decides to decorate their cabin door, although it has not been my personal style in the past...but now that I think about it...

:)

Cheers,

Salacia

I found it hard to believe that Cunard was listed in 8th place by Travel and Leisure, but then I considered the source. Travel and Leisure is much more of a mainstream ( mass-market, if you will) travel magazine than Condé Nast Traveler. In Condé Nast Traveler, Cunard is ranked as #5 in their Readers' Choice Awards, bested by Crystal, Regent, Oceania and Azamara in the Middle-Ship Category. This seemed a more accurate representation, based on my experience sailing all of those I listed except Azamara.

Ricki

Just to mention: Holland America 4 Star Mariner benefits includes a free subscription to Travel and Lesiure. Conde Nast Traveler has complimentary subscriptions based on zip code (zip code = income). Both magazines sell advertising based on the demograhpics they reach...and the beat goes on.

Frankly, I don't pay much attention to reviews or polls - good for a chuckle though! :D -S.

Just to mention: Holland America 4 Star Mariner benefits includes a free subscription to Travel and Lesiure. Conde Nast Traveler has complimentary subscriptions based on zip code (zip code = income). Both magazines sell advertising based on the demograhpics they reach...and the beat goes on.

Frankly, I don't pay much attention to reviews or polls - good for a chuckle though! :D -S.

Good point, Salacia!

Ricki

T & L Mega Ships Celebrity and Disney top Cunnard Aug 2013 (note: Seabourn and Sea Dream top of small ship lines)

In your recent trips do you agree with T & L readers reviews?

Cunard Grills vs. Crystal, Regent, Which did you prefer and why????

or Cunard vs. Holland, RCI, Princess, Celebrity and Disney????

Is it just the Americans (or AMEX or T & L) that rate the other cruises higher????

Many of you have read Travel and Leisure World's Best awards Aug 2013 issue:

1. Crystal 2. Regent 3. Azamara 4. Oceana 5. Holland America 6. RCI

7. Princess 8. Cunard 9, Celebrity 10. Norwegian

What do you think of the Travel and Leisure rankings????

Franchises/concessions is nothing new on the ships. I know someone who used to work in a hairdressing concession years ago on the QE2. Harding Bros who run the shops have been with Cunard since 2002 and P&O since 1999.

Steiner held the hairdressing concession on Cunard and P&O in 1982. Their staff went down to the Falklands with their ships and were awarded South Atlantic campaign medals.

It would be handy to know how the ranks were determined and by whom. Everyone looks at the final result, but what criteria was used to judge the lines?

For example, was it based on a survey of passengers? Or was it based on reviews from online travel sites? Typically, people with a gripe are more likely to post feedback than people with positive things to say.

Or was it based on reviews written by travel writers who were guests of the lines? This almost always skews the results as these people are often given special treatment/upgrades.

Also, were the lines judged on shoreside and shipside criteria? Did the rank compare lines on similar itineraries, time of year, etc?

There are so many other questions that could be asked about the method used to get the published results. So I am prepared to take this with a grain of salt.

As for the issue of cutting prices, this is hardly new to the industry. In difficult economic times and/or stiff competition, the big passenger lines of the golden ocean liner age used to cut prices to the bone.

In the 1910s Cunard and White Star slashed third and second class ticket prices to the point that many doubted either line would last. The GFC is still affecting Europe and America and will for a little while longer I suspect (although things look like they are improving).

Give it another 5 years and you will start to see price cutting become less common.

It would be handy to know how the ranks were determined and by whom. Everyone looks at the final result, but what criteria was used to judge the lines?

For example, was it based on a survey of passengers? Or was it based on reviews from online travel sites? Typically, people with a gripe are more likely to post feedback than people with positive things to say.

Or was it based on reviews written by travel writers who were guests of the lines? This almost always skews the results as these people are often given special treatment/upgrades.

Also, were the lines judged on shoreside and shipside criteria? Did the rank compare lines on similar itineraries, time of year, etc?

There are so many other questions that could be asked about the method used to get the published results. So I am prepared to take this with a grain of salt.

As for the issue of cutting prices, this is hardly new to the industry. In difficult economic times and/or stiff competition, the big passenger lines of the golden ocean liner age used to cut prices to the bone.

In the 1910s Cunard and White Star slashed third and second class ticket prices to the point that many doubted either line would last. The GFC is still affecting Europe and America and will for a little while longer I suspect (although things look like they are improving).

Give it another 5 years and you will start to see price cutting become less common.

I've edited the T+L methodology which may answer some of your questions.

A questionnaire developed by the editors of T + L, with ROI Research Inc. was made available to T + L readers at tlworldsbest.com from December 1, 2012, to April 1, 2013. Readers were invited to participate through T + L magazine (January- April issues), T+L iPad® editions and newsletters, and online at travelandleisure.com. Respondents were screened by T + L and responses from any identified travel-industry professionals who completed the survey were eliminated from the final tally.

Respondents were asked to rate individual cruise ships on six characteristics: cabins, restaurants/food, service, itineraries/destinations, excursions/activities, value. For each characteristic, respondents were asked to rate a candidate on a scale of 1 to 5, where “1” means poor and “5” means excellent. Required component ratings were then averaged, creating an overall score. The scores are indexed averages of responses concerning applicable characteristics. Categories for ocean cruises: mega-ship cruise lines (capacity of 2,200 passengers or more), large-ship cruise lines (capacity between 600 to 2,199 passengers) and small–ship cruise lines (capacity of fewer than 600 passengers). A minimum number of responses was necessary for a candidate to be eligible for inclusion in the listings.

Burgee

I've edited the T+L methodology which may answer some of your questions.

A questionnaire developed by the editors of T + L, with ROI Research Inc. was made available to T + L readers at tlworldsbest.com from December 1, 2012, to April 1, 2013. Readers were invited to participate through T + L magazine (January- April issues), T+L iPad® editions and newsletters, and online at travelandleisure.com. Respondents were screened by T + L and responses from any identified travel-industry professionals who completed the survey were eliminated from the final tally.

Respondents were asked to rate individual cruise ships on six characteristics: cabins, restaurants/food, service, itineraries/destinations, excursions/activities, value. For each characteristic, respondents were asked to rate a candidate on a scale of 1 to 5, where “1” means poor and “5” means excellent. Required component ratings were then averaged, creating an overall score. The scores are indexed averages of responses concerning applicable characteristics. Categories for ocean cruises: mega-ship cruise lines (capacity of 2,200 passengers or more), large-ship cruise lines (capacity between 600 to 2,199 passengers) and small–ship cruise lines (capacity of fewer than 600 passengers). A minimum number of responses was necessary for a candidate to be eligible for inclusion in the listings.

Burgee

So, it isn't a proper comparison then. Reviews were not based on true comparison as the respondents didn't have to have sailed on all the cruise lines in question.

Even if someone had, what criteria is set regarding how long a responder must spend on board? Judging from experienced cruisers on here a longer voyage can differ greatly to a shorter one. Was the length of cruise factored into this survey? I think not.

Not to mention there seems to be no restriction on who posts by age, gender, or cruising experience. What's to stop a person who has only ever cruised once from participating in that survey?

Most surveys are a waste of time and money as they aren't thorough enough. What we get from these results is a snapshot of the industry.

Rather than look at rankings I will stick to reading trip reports and viewing the wealth of photographic material people post from their voyages. While still limited, at least you get a better feel for the ship and what's on offer.

A rank is like a grade in school - it merely tells you where you are according to a set of limited criteria.

I don't really consider the ratings of cruise lines when making my travel plans, because I simply love the experience of sailing on Queen Mary 2. Having sailed with many of the mainstream and luxury lines, I have chosen Cunard as my favorite for my own reasons.

Others find smaller ships, ships with inclusive pricing, ships with ice rinks and climbing walls more to their liking, and that's fine.

If looking for inclusive pricing, for example, Regent is a good choice.

If I were to list what I like about sailing on Queen Mary 2, it would be a long, long list. It's wonderful that there are so many different sailing experiences from which to choose. A real wealth of choices today. Happy travels to us all!

Archived